Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
I can't believe they gave Philip green hair.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

This week's Back Arrow was pretty fun. The Emperor busting out ten bind warpers at once was a hype moment.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Waffleman_ posted:

The only josei I know is Josei and the Pussycats

^^^^^^^^^^^

:discourse:

vvvvvvvvvvv

Doodles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 3, 2021

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S
The Something Awful Forums > ADTRW > Spring 2021: No Way, Josei

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Hell yeah more of my favourite Kungfu puppet show.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Enjoyed the first episode of Mashiro no Oto. Loved the shamisen music, and all the characters are pretty likeable so far. From the description of the show it seems like we haven't actually gotten to the main premise yet, but we'll see. I hope Taketo sticks around, he is hot and I want to see him become a better person over time.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I certainly did not see the end of Mashiro no Oto 1 coming.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Maxwell Adams posted:

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Mars Red and Joran have some overlap in premise, but both are gorgeous and stylish in their own ways.
Mashiro no Oto and Vivy were a lot more engaging than I expected going in.
I expect Koi to Yobu to be a hit with the crowd who liked Domestic Girlfriend. Not my cup of tea, but it seems decently well executed.

Obviously haven't seen everything that's going to come out, but between what I've seen and the much-anticipated continuations the base quality level for this season looks to be fairly high.

Brutal Garcon
Nov 2, 2014

Extremely promising first two eps of Vivy. I think I'm onboard with wherever this is going.

Though I do not trust a single word we've been told about anything

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Maxwell Adams posted:

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
outlaw star is a lot better than trigun, and the two are pretty easily compared. neither is a classic in the anime canon tho

i'll watch back arrow if the reception is still overall positive after the final ep

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Vivy is not what I expected when I read a synopsis that said “idol robot wants to make people happy with singing” and I am here for it.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Relin posted:

outlaw star is a lot better than trigun, and the two are pretty easily compared. neither is a classic in the anime canon tho

i'll watch back arrow if the reception is still overall positive after the final ep

Back Arrow's more like Gun X Sword in how it throws a lot of poo poo at the wall to find something that sticks.

With Giant Robots.

(I actually quite enjoy the show, it's good dumb fun and it knows it)

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice

Relin posted:

Eh, I dunno about Outlaw Star although it rings a bell, I think Trigun definitely belongs in the canon insofar as I define it loosely as "anime that college anime clubs watch over and over during weekly meetings yet never get past the first three episodes of".

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
trigun tv having an open-ended ending was the way to go. the manga came to an actual conclusion but none of it was very good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

here is the anime classic canon

1) kannazuki no miko
2) madoka magica
3) wixoss
4) granbelm

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Trigun was definitely part of the "anime canon" in the west in the 2000's. But I don't think a lot of younger anime fans who didn't grow up in the era it was popular really care about it at all. That applies to a lot of stuff that was popular in the anime boom of the late 90's/early 2000's.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i think trigun is cool

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i don't like very much of the second half of trigun, especially after how good the start was. it can be decanonized

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

WrightOfWay posted:

Trigun was definitely part of the "anime canon" in the west in the 2000's. But I don't think a lot of younger anime fans who didn't grow up in the era it was popular really care about it at all. That applies to a lot of stuff that was popular in the anime boom of the late 90's/early 2000's.
I was introduced to Trigun by JesuOtaku reviews back in 2010 so I watched it and thought it was good.

Draxion
Jun 9, 2013

Outlaw Star has a great OP and thats like 80% what I judge 90s anime on

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
Vivy: Vocaloid Terminator loving rules.

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Draxion posted:

Outlaw Star has a great OP and thats like 80% what I judge 90s anime on

But it only played on Toonami Midnight Run years after it aired.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
trigun makes me sad because i think tsuneo imahori stopped making music for anime

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Endorph posted:

here is the anime classic canon

1) kannazuki no miko
2) madoka magica
3) wixoss
4) granbelm

Hmmm. Yes. Yes. I'm definitely sensing a pattern. The only one I've seen out of all of these is Madoka.

I knew I was old when I ran into a group of the American 2010 generation who'd never seen Cowboy Bebop.

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Endorph posted:

3) wixoss

But not the one from last season

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Vivy's first episode was pretty good, but I have to arch a snarky eyebrow at Fukuyama voicing what amounts to a personality sphere from Portal and the the assorted AI all having easily discernible rampancy indicator on them like in Detroit

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would list nanoha as a fifth anime classic

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

JOOOOOOOOO

https://twitter.com/anime_jojo/status/1378654840499236869?s=19

JOOOOOOOOO

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Oh poo poo yes.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mashiro no Oto had an interesting first episode, but it felt like it went through half a season's worth of character drama plot in the span of 20 minutes, and then ended on a very tonally dissonant comedy cliffhanger, so I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

First ep of Megalobox S2 was pretty strong.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

wow not a single likeable character in combatants. they threaded the needle

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

so it's in keeping with konosuba then

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Tales of Woe posted:

so it's in keeping with konosuba then
yeah i guess so!!

it's also taking place on a fantasy planet like some kinda star ocean so they can just do konosuba with different idiots

now i'm watching the dragon house hunting show. the celtic pop OP is a bop

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mashiro no Oto had an interesting first episode, but it felt like it went through half a season's worth of character drama plot in the span of 20 minutes, and then ended on a very tonally dissonant comedy cliffhanger, so I'm really not sure what to make of it.

Thats how the manga was too, i liked it. Very nice and fast pacing

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth
First episode of Mars Red impressed me so much that even if the rest of it is bad this episode justified its existence as a really good self-contained story. Not sure who's responsible for directing it, but they did hell of a job.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i have no idea how the dragon house hunting show can sustain itself over a full season (maybe it'd be better as an 11 minute series), but letty is a sweet boy that deserves to be protected

i guess house hunting shows in general sustain themselves just by showing off neat houses. i'd be fine with seeing every jrpg monster's ideal living space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
Tried watching the first episode of Sentouin yada yada and man, I think Konosuba being as good as it is must be down to the anime staff's doing, because the adaptations of the author's other stuff has been a bit crap (meanwhile Princess Connect was good, if a bit insubstantial)