Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Pham Nuwen posted:

Look what those motherfuckers did on their Roku version:

That's hilarious. Remember that thing you hated? Well we've got great news, it's here too!

I was referring to the U1, I didn't know they made those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

qirex posted:

I got the Sofabaton, it's firmly OK. My main complaint is clicky buttons.

Is that the U1? Do you prefer it over the Harmony 665?

I came very close to buying the U1 a few months ago, but decided I could live with my Harmony until it dies.

My main complaint about the Harmony is the absolutely trash software. There's a bunch of things I could probably fix on my current remote but I can't be bothered to deal with their poo poo software to do so.

Is the Sofabaton better in that regard?

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I refused to ever buy a Harmony after trying to help a friend struggle with their garbage software. The U1 is OK, it had codes for my stuff and got 90% pretty fast. Customizing is very much a manual setup but it's simple, just pick button and tell it what to do. The UI could be a lot better but it's at least predictable.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe
The U1 is nice but yeah the buttons are too clicky/resistive to me. It's a pain.

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart
I like my Harmony 665 but gently caress the online "community" around Harmony remotes. Call me a luddite but I just use it to control my different devices, I have no interest in setting up "activities." When I googled around once to see if there was an easy way to change the order of the devices on the screen (there isn't, by the way), any time someone asked that question it would bring down a brigade of nerds screeching at the person for not using the remote "right."

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
I bought my dad a $150 Harmony for Christmas like 10 years ago and he never used it. 😒

They were pretty sleek back then, but I feel like we've kinda evolved past the need for them, especially with CEC getting more popular (and hopefully more reliable).

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone have Bias Lighting for their OLED? Recommendations on a good set?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

I abandoned my bias lighting when I got an OLED because pitch black is a superior viewing experience.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RichterIX posted:

I like my Harmony 665 but gently caress the online "community" around Harmony remotes. Call me a luddite but I just use it to control my different devices, I have no interest in setting up "activities." When I googled around once to see if there was an easy way to change the order of the devices on the screen (there isn't, by the way), any time someone asked that question it would bring down a brigade of nerds screeching at the person for not using the remote "right."
To be fair, attempting to use a Harmony without using activities does go against their core point. The basic concept of the platform is that you shouldn't have to think about switching the remote between devices while you're watching a movie or whatever. How many times have you accidentally controlled the wrong thing because you forgot to switch modes? How many times have your non-technical friends/family done the same and ended up entirely lost because they have no idea what they just did? Activities are great for most home theater use cases. And when they're set up correctly the "Help" button has always been able to unfuck any mismatches between the state the remote thinks the system is in and the state the system is actually in.

That said I will 100% agree that their software is hot garbage (yet still simultaneously better than any other consumer options I've tried) and it'd really be nice if it allowed more manual control in the way things get set up. Especially for devices I may want to remote control but that aren't necessarily part of any activity like fans or remote-operated blinds.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

65" CX $1,800 shipped from eBay store

RichterIX
Apr 11, 2003

Sorrowful be the heart

wolrah posted:

To be fair, attempting to use a Harmony without using activities does go against their core point. The basic concept of the platform is that you shouldn't have to think about switching the remote between devices while you're watching a movie or whatever. How many times have you accidentally controlled the wrong thing because you forgot to switch modes? How many times have your non-technical friends/family done the same and ended up entirely lost because they have no idea what they just did? Activities are great for most home theater use cases. And when they're set up correctly the "Help" button has always been able to unfuck any mismatches between the state the remote thinks the system is in and the state the system is actually in.

That said I will 100% agree that their software is hot garbage (yet still simultaneously better than any other consumer options I've tried) and it'd really be nice if it allowed more manual control in the way things get set up. Especially for devices I may want to remote control but that aren't necessarily part of any activity like fans or remote-operated blinds.

Yeah, I'm probably not getting the most out of the remote because I don't want to deal with it, but I tend to find myself in a weird half area with activities where sometimes I want to change what I'm doing while keeping a specific combination of devices powered on. I'm sure judicious application of "power on" and "power off" versus "toggle power" when I'm assigning button functions to an activity would fix my issues, but the software makes everything so annoying to do that I never want to go back and screw with it any more.

Along those lines, is the sofabaton u1 another remote that is supposed to be used for "activities" or is it a more traditional universal remote?

While I'm just barfing stream of consciousness into this post, I wish my TCL TV allowed for per-input settings for the TV speakers, since having the TV speakers on seems to affect what audio formats will pass through over optical. I never ever want the TV speakers on when I'm using my PS5, but my wife isn't often turning the AVR on to watch youtube over the Chromecast so I'm constantly having to go into the TV's settings to turn the speakers on and off.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

RichterIX posted:

Along those lines, is the sofabaton u1 another remote that is supposed to be used for "activities" or is it a more traditional universal remote?
It's very device oriented, you can map certain keys to control other devices but by default it's one device at a time. It is very much the most modern variant of the traditional universal remote.

Mine actually sits unused for this reason, my Chromecast's stock remote is easier to use unless I need a button it doesn't have. Also the sensor that makes it light up is way too sensitive. If I even slightly bump my bedside table it lights up.

wolrah fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Mar 31, 2021

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I broke and got a GX OLED for a decent price from Video Only in the Bay Area. Since I haven't seen a G1 yet, I won't know what I"m missing, right??? Coming from a final iteration Samsung Plasma, this is definitely a jump in all visual factors.

I have an older 2017 Shield that I'm using but the WebOS versions of most apps seem to function better than the Shield ones. The remote for the LG tv also worked out of the box for the Shield so that was a pleasant surprise.

Grimmeh
May 9, 2004

...Putting The Fun Back Into The Funeral

Shadowhand00 posted:

I broke and got a GX OLED for a decent price from Video Only in the Bay Area. Since I haven't seen a G1 yet, I won't know what I"m missing, right??? Coming from a final iteration Samsung Plasma, this is definitely a jump in all visual factors.

I have an older 2017 Shield that I'm using but the WebOS versions of most apps seem to function better than the Shield ones. The remote for the LG tv also worked out of the box for the Shield so that was a pleasant surprise.
I’m on the last Samsung plasma, too (2014-ish). Let me know how you like the GX!

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.
I'd like to see a comparison of the LG C1 vs the G1. I'm interested in getting a larger-sized screen, and if the G1 77" picture quality is not much different from the 83" C1 then maybe I'll go with the C1. I'll mostly being doing gaming with the OLED TV.

But hopefully I'll be able to tell from a comparison of the smaller screen sizes. I have not see any videos of the comparison, but perhaps the local Best Buy will have both models for me to see in person soon.

EDIT: Saw a video posted today, in German, where 65" C1 is compared to 77" G1. Just switch the subtitles to auto-translate to English.
When the TVs are shown side-by-side in the video the C1 is on the left.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5JfXNEmrXg&t=4s

The comparison presented is basic, subjective and does not focus entirely on gaming. The reviewer ultimately favors the G1, claiming there is an advantage in gaming due to the G1 screen being brighter than the C1 screen. But anyone experienced in gaming knows that immaterial, as one can take any modern game and simply change the Brightness or Gamma in the game or OS settings to make everything in the game have a unusually bright background.

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Apr 2, 2021

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
My Micro Center is selling refurbished 55" CX for $999, I'm super tempted to upgrade from my 2013 Samsung 4?", I see it's last year's TV, is there anything I'm missing out on and is that a good price?

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal
I don't believe you're missing anything going from the CX to the C1 (this year's model). Probably some optimizations and some gaming mode enhancements but the CX was the "best tv of the year" based on some reviews.

I didn't expect to see such a huge gap in terms of visual fidelity (but I really should have) going from plasma to OLED. Colors just pop due to HDR, the remote just working is amazing, how cool the tv is (relative to how hot Plasma runs) is actually kind of a side benefit as well. There's something about the screen being absolutely pitch black when blacks are shown that is amazing.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Will you get to see how bad the burn-in is before taking it home?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Will you get to see how bad the burn-in is before taking it home?

I have no idea. Never bought a TV from Micro Center before. I imagine I can just return it if there's anything wrong

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Are Logitech Harmony remotes still the best way to get everything down to just one remote?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

IUG posted:

Are Logitech Harmony remotes still the best way to get everything down to just one remote?

Technically but the Elite one with the hub sucks. I hate mine but there really isn't another that allows 15 devices.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I’m extremely happy with the hub and companion remote thinger. My wife likes telling Alexa to switch sources and whatnot.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Yeah I'm in Apple's ecosystem with the homepod minis, so I'll have to get around to setting up Home Assistant for any kind of voice control.

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

any advice on how to pick a longer hdmi cable that supports 2.1 than what came in the box, for connecting a lg cx series to my PC? I've heard that with display port cables you have to be careful as they get longer but not sure if that's true of hdmi 2.1

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Booyah- posted:

any advice on how to pick a longer hdmi cable that supports 2.1 than what came in the box, for connecting a lg cx series to my PC? I've heard that with display port cables you have to be careful as they get longer but not sure if that's true of hdmi 2.1

Does your PC have HDMI instead of just DisplayPort? Just get one of these two from Monoprice if so.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42674

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

Silly Burrito posted:

Does your PC have HDMI instead of just DisplayPort? Just get one of these two from Monoprice if so.

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42682
https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=42674

It has both, I'm currently not using the hdmi port. Thanks!

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how to cast media to the LG CX using any built in screen share app. There seemed to be LG Smart Share and Screen Share but neither of those are in the current software as far as I can tell

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Booyah- posted:

I'm also wondering if anyone knows how to cast media to the LG CX using any built in screen share app. There seemed to be LG Smart Share and Screen Share but neither of those are in the current software as far as I can tell
WINDOWS+P and select "Connect Wireless Display" works for me

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

https://twitter.com/David3141593/status/1378466886770434049

Urethane
Dec 21, 2004

FilthyImp posted:

WINDOWS+P and select "Connect Wireless Display" works for me

Oh cool. I was getting like 2 frames per second on it but hopefully I can work that out

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are any new tvs cable card ready? I’m from the 90s.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

I'm looking for a budget TV in the 55in to 65in range that's basically going to be used a living room computer monitor. Lots of up time and being left on with static images from computer use, plus streaming videos. Should I just be looking at the TLC panels? Amazon has the 65in 5 series for $720, while BB has the 65in 6 series for $950, is there a reason to care which one of those I get? $720 is about what I was looking to spend, so the cheaper options are better for me.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Elephanthead posted:

Are any new tvs cable card ready? I’m from the 90s.

Cablecard was murdered when Streaming became a thing

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?
AFAIK TiVo and HDHomeRun are the only two vendors still selling CableCard products direct to consumers, and even those are hard to find. I haven't seen a TiVo at a retail store in years and HDHomeRun might have one of the cable models sitting next to a rack of the OTA models.

CableCard was a great concept, but the cable companies hated it (because it let you easily not use the box they can cram ads in to every pixel of the GUI) and in a lot of cases they went out of their way to make it inconvenient.

And yea, streaming eliminated most of the demand from consumers. We kinda got the same end result, our cable channels on whatever box we want to use, but worse than what we could have had.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

In the grocery store yesterday and seen a (vastly overpriced) 58" JVC tv. Assume that brand has been relegated the same as Sharp and whatnot

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Amazon rolled out a new GUI for the fire stick and I don't like change.

biceps crimes
Apr 12, 2008

I got the LG CX, I'm mainly using my PS5 on it. I run the PS5 through my receiver that outputs 4k at 60fps but I want 120fps. Anyone solve this problem recently? I read about connecting directly to the TV and outputting audio downstream from the TV to the receiver, but it sounds like a headache. Is that what must be done short of buying a new receiver?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

gay_crimes posted:

I got the LG CX, I'm mainly using my PS5 on it. I run the PS5 through my receiver that outputs 4k at 60fps but I want 120fps. Anyone solve this problem recently? I read about connecting directly to the TV and outputting audio downstream from the TV to the receiver, but it sounds like a headache. Is that what must be done short of buying a new receiver?

Are there actually games on PS5 that are supposed to run at 4K/120?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Kaddish posted:

Are there actually games on PS5 that are supposed to run at 4K/120?

Do you want a remake of twenty-year old games?

They can run at 4k* @ 120!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1scu4zwg4A

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VectorSigma
Jan 20, 2004

Transform
and
Freak Out

How sensitive are you to sound latency? The CX adds 60-ish ms lag to any audio passing through it, even with eARC. This isn't an issue with video content, but with real-time output you'll definitely see things like gunshot sounds occurring noticeably later than the muzzle flash.