Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Negative_Kittens
Apr 8, 2008

[ASK] me about multiple personality disorders

Mu Zeta posted:

I would click on the "PWM PST" because the PST is what has the daisy chain feature.

Nice catch, thanks. I'll throw it in my bookmarks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Astaldo posted:

I bought a Dell pre-built with a 3060 ti for 1100 euro's with coupons. Already ordered an aftermarket cooler and extra fans, but actually feeling pretty good about this. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by Dell's QC.

Did you at least get dual-channel memory in the pre-built, or did they ship it with a single stick of RAM like the morons Dell can be?

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bofast posted:

Did you at least get dual-channel memory in the pre-built, or did they ship it with a single stick of RAM like the morons Dell can be?

HP does this in the Omen desktops too and it’s so annoying.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ugly In The Morning posted:

That's too bad to hear. They did pretty good when Linus secret stoppered them I thought.

If DDR5 comes out and everything is still this bad or worse I'm going to get low tier prebuilt from corsair or go nuts and make someone do hardline water for me. I'm mostly corsair anyway, but I like building :(

Maybe we can convince Newegg to start a "build it yourself" bundle program that let you pick any parts from the store as long as you agree to spent X$ or more and it gave you access to things like GPUs.

They would sell a ton of poo poo lol

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Well, that's not cool. :(

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

https://youtu.be/LYdHTSQxdCM

Just to give the thread regulars a heads up, looks like the 11400 is pretty significantly better than the 3600, and generally cheaper if you can get one.

The extra intel cost on the board should be canceled by the AMD cpu extra cost and it’s generally around 5-8% better in most scenarios.

If you’re planning a 3600 build right now you should reconsider.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Especially the 11400F variant, value-wise. If you're already gonna have a discrete GPU, that is.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bofast posted:

Well, that's not cool. :(

Don’t get me wrong, the omen desktops are still a great value as far as non-customizable prebuilts go- even with buying an additional stick of 16GB ram the one I bought last year was still cheaper than building it myself and I really liked it. The single stick of ram was a weird outlier considering the quality of everything else.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Looking to build again, wanna do a gpu passthrough but having a hard time finding out wtf motherboard is going to be good with vt-d and good iommu groupings. Going to want integrated gfx for the host so im ready to drive to a microcenter to pick up that 11400 while its still at 170. How the hell do I figure out which mobos are good for this? This list https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_IOMMU-supporting_hardware#Motherboards seems kind of outdated.

tldr: Looking to spend as little as possible on a mobo that has at least 2 pci slots, supports iommu and has good groupings. 200 at the very very most, ideally something on sale in the 150 range.

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Apr 3, 2021

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

It does seem a little weird that all these enthusiast overclocking channels suddenly get all conservative when they benchmark and turn everything off. At minimum they should be providing results with XMP profiles and maybe the basic overclocking (PBO) and increased power limits and that new overclocking thing the 11900k can do. They should still provide the official results (ie the ones that don't void the warranty) but it's ridiculous that they aren't providing benchmark results for their own recommended configurations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

You can benchmark performance at a given frequency, but unless you get a jillion samples like silliconlottery you can't make any statement about the ability of a chip family to hit those speeds.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

EngineerJoe posted:

It does seem a little weird that all these enthusiast overclocking channels suddenly get all conservative when they benchmark and turn everything off. At minimum they should be providing results with XMP profiles and maybe the basic overclocking (PBO) and increased power limits and that new overclocking thing the 11900k can do. They should still provide the official results (ie the ones that don't void the warranty) but it's ridiculous that they aren't providing benchmark results for their own recommended configurations.

I feel like I harp a lot about how good GNs benchmarking is in this thread.

GN does both. They run explicitly tuned ram to specific speeds, same for GPU and other settings.

Then they provide a benchmark that follows the CPU manufacture tolerance guidance, and do their own overclock, and compare both results.

For the recent intel chips, they did intel guidance, stock motherboard performance, and manual overclock performance benchmarks.

Testing with or without XMP has nothing to do with the CPUs ability, and everything to do with ram. As long as you’re comparing the CPUs at the same ram speed and timings the performance %s should hold true.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

How does the i5-10400 compare with the 11400? Is the newer generation worth the additional $30 bucks?

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Apr 3, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

How does the i5-10400 compare with the 11400? Is the newer generation worth the additional $30 bucks?

If you’re seeing a $30 price difference, then yes it’s worth it. Speed bump is solid.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

If you’re seeing a $30 price difference, then yes it’s worth it. Speed bump is solid.

the 10400 says 2.9GHz and the 11400 says 2.6GHz, whats up with that? 11400 is still better overall?

tyty
VV

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Apr 3, 2021

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

the 10400 says 2.9GHz and the 11400 says 2.6GHz, whats up with that? 11400 is still better overall?

Published clock speed means literally nothing. There’s some very minor meaning inside the same generation, but that’s it.

It’s a marketing term.

Vir
Dec 14, 2007

Does it tickle when your Body Thetans flap their wings, eh Beatrice?
The Intel CPUs draw more power, especially if you overclock them or let the board overclock them for you. For most home users the difference in electricity cost doesn't really matter, but it might matter for what cooler you get. Don't look too closely at the TDP, even if it's stated in Watts - look more at benchmarks which measure power usage.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Published clock speed means literally nothing. There’s some very minor meaning inside the same generation, but that’s it.

It’s a marketing term.

out of curiosity. I remember giving a poo poo back in the Pentium days - was I just ignorant or have architectural advances made the number less important?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Boxman posted:

out of curiosity. I remember giving a poo poo back in the Pentium days - was I just ignorant or have architectural advances made the number less important?

More you can't compare across architectures. Performance per clock cycle will be different, so X ghz on one can't directly be compared to X on another.

Feral Integral
Jun 6, 2006

YOSPOS

Vir posted:

The Intel CPUs draw more power, especially if you overclock them or let the board overclock them for you. For most home users the difference in electricity cost doesn't really matter, but it might matter for what cooler you get. Don't look too closely at the TDP, even if it's stated in Watts - look more at benchmarks which measure power usage.

The specs say 65 watts for the 11400, isn't that the same as the amd stuff? or are the amds drawing less because of the smaller lithography or something?

goodness its convoluted buying parts these days haha. thanks for the clarification
VV

Feral Integral fucked around with this message at 22:51 on Apr 3, 2021

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Feral Integral posted:

The specs say 65 watts for the 11400, isn't that the same as the amd stuff? or are the amds drawing less because of the smaller lithography or something?

The great thing is that both companies appear to calculate the watts usage differently so we can't really compare them without real world benchmarks. We live in a world where ghz, watts, vram, etc. mean nothing. Everything is meaningless.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Feral Integral posted:

On both sides here the TDP is measured in very specific and favorable ways. AMD is more in line, and the node is a big advantage here, but you have to look at actual benchmarks to know real power draw.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Feral Integral posted:

goodness its convoluted buying parts these days haha. thanks for the clarification
VV

At the 3600/11400 price range I wouldn’t be worrying about TDP or power draw. You’re probably talking less than $50 a year with very heavy use.

Almost all aftermarket coolers should be fine too.

Let’s also keep in mind AMD does not have a 5XXX sku competing at this price point, and they likely will eventually.

Pilfered Pallbearers fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Apr 3, 2021

Astaldo
Jan 4, 2015

xXxGangsterNinjaAssassinxXx

Bofast posted:

It's arriving on tuesday, I might rip it open before I even turn it on. Configuration said 2x8, although I hear that's no guarantee with Dell.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

My son's got two monitors and a VR setup connected to the three ports on his graphics card. He'd like to be able to alternate the VR setup with a small third monitor on his desk for Discord and whatnot. He needs a DIsplayPort switch that has one input, the graphics card, and two outputs, the VR setup and the mini monitor. Do such things exist? Are they reliable? This is for a birthday present. Recommendations for mini monitors also gratefully received.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
This is a tangent but I know there are USB to DisplayPort/HDMI adapters, if it's just for Discord that would probably be fine. I'm not 100% sure if a splitter exists that would let you control them both separately, I think you would either have a switch where you toggle between outputs or you would have mirrored outputs.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

Astaldo posted:

I bought a Dell pre-built with a 3060 ti for 1100 euro's with coupons. Already ordered an aftermarket cooler and extra fans, but actually feeling pretty good about this. I'm sure I'll be proven wrong by Dell's QC.

Dell used to be really bad about designing their cases so that you couldn’t do aftermarket mods or hardware. Not sure if this is still the case...

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

xtal posted:

This is a tangent but I know there are USB to DisplayPort/HDMI adapters, if it's just for Discord that would probably be fine. I'm not 100% sure if a splitter exists that would let you control them both separately, I think you would either have a switch where you toggle between outputs or you would have mirrored outputs.

A switch where you toggle between outputs is exactly what I'm looking for. The switches I've been able to find toggle between inputs.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Let’s also keep in mind AMD does not have a 5XXX sku competing at this price point, and they likely will eventually.

They don't right now, and right now is when it matters. The 11400 is a pretty drat good value buy if you're in the market for a new PC, and it walks all over AMD's comparable price offerings, because they're all from a generation or 2 ago, AMD left a glaring hole around the 150-220 USD mark, and there's not a lot they can do to fix it.

Keep in mind also that AMD doesn't have the ability to squeeze more silicon out of TSMC, if they can't satisfy their current chip demand, adding another line isn't going to help the situation.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

orange juche posted:

They don't right now, and right now is when it matters. The 11400 is a pretty drat good value buy if you're in the market for a new PC, and it walks all over AMD's comparable price offerings, because they're all from a generation or 2 ago, AMD left a glaring hole around the 150-220 USD mark, and there's not a lot they can do to fix it.

Keep in mind also that AMD doesn't have the ability to squeeze more silicon out of TSMC, if they can't satisfy their current chip demand, adding another line isn't going to help the situation.

My guess is performance is gonna be realllll close in performance to the 5600X, so they’re holding off so they don’t cannibalize it.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Randomly throwing this out there but does any goon in the SF bay area want a 5900x? I managed to order one off Amazon on Feb 3rd and it's arriving on April 16th and I realized I really don't need it as the 5600x suits my needs perfectly fine (games) and am willing to let it go at cost which is like 596$ or something after tax. I know these have been hard to come by and maybe a goon wants it at cost instead of me cancelling it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Don’t get me wrong, the omen desktops are still a great value as far as non-customizable prebuilts go- even with buying an additional stick of 16GB ram the one I bought last year was still cheaper than building it myself and I really liked it. The single stick of ram was a weird outlier considering the quality of everything else.

Yeah, it's just such a stupid little thing to get wrong.

Feral Integral posted:

tyty
VV

That's just the base clock. The 10400 has a turbo clock of 4.3 GHz and the 11400 has a turbo clock of 4.4 GHz so unless you find a workload that forces the CPU down to base clocks it should not matter. They will both go up and down in frequency depending on workloads, available power budget and whatever limitations the motherboard/BIOS enforces or ignores.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Bofast posted:

That's just the base clock. The 10400 has a turbo clock of 4.3 GHz and the 11400 has a turbo clock of 4.4 GHz so unless you find a workload that forces the CPU down to base clocks it should not matter. They will both go up and down in frequency depending on workloads, available power budget and whatever limitations the motherboard/BIOS enforces or ignores.

Bofast posted:

Turbo clock is temporary boost, like when launching an app or game.

Any workload sustained for more than a few minutes (or a minute, it depends) the processor will fall back to base clock and stay there for the most part.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

Hell no it won't. With proper cooling a CPU will maintain it's boost clocks indefinitely, unless you enable BIOS settings to stop that (since they're usually turned off by default since it makes motherboards look better in benchmarks). Intel and AMD have started putting out opportunistic boost clocks for thermally favorable scenarios but those are listed separately. AMD also had a snafu last gen where it would only hit the max boost clocks for a millisecond, but even then it was a 25-50MHz dip.

Racing back to base clocks is a thing in the mobile space, where thermal design and power supply are at a premium.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic
I know I could ask Google, but just for gaming:

1) Can you overclock an Intel chip these days? Used to only be possible easier with AMD.

2) What is better, non-extreme overclocking or setting up Turbo in BIOS as to performance vs risk of physically damaging a CPU?

3) Which GPU is better (by any factor) for AAA gaming plus WoW and modded Skyrim, a 3060ti or 3070? Why?

Again, I really learn more from Goons of ALL hobbies because we can interact and answer in very specific situations instead of a Google result that may be three years old. I also soon may “inherent” a 50” TV with an HDMI hookup that isn’t new enough tech for a display port (LCD LED flat panel). I’ll use it as a monitor from 3.5’-4’ away for gaming at 120MHz 4K. I don’t understand monitor/TV tech and have read the entire monitor/display thread. Will a stock 3070 drive this at a >60 frame rate? I’m still reading the other thread and have “caught up” to Dec 2020 so don’t want to ask if the topic is answered like four posts above🥸.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

DerekSmartymans posted:

1) Can you overclock an Intel chip these days? Used to only be possible easier with AMD.

2) What is better, non-extreme overclocking or setting up Turbo in BIOS as to performance vs risk of physically damaging a CPU?

3) Which GPU is better (by any factor) for AAA gaming plus WoW and modded Skyrim, a 3060ti or 3070? Why?

Again, I really learn more from Goons of ALL hobbies because we can interact and answer in very specific situations instead of a Google result that may be three years old. I also soon may “inherent” a 50” TV with an HDMI hookup that isn’t new enough tech for a display port (LCD LED flat panel). I’ll use it as a monitor from 3.5’-4’ away for gaming at 120MHz 4K. I don’t understand monitor/TV tech and have read the entire monitor/display thread. Will a stock 3070 drive this at a >60 frame rate? I’m still reading the other thread and have “caught up” to Dec 2020 so don’t want to ask if the topic is answered like four posts above🥸.

1) Intel CPUs need a K in their name to be overclocked, so the 11600K can be OC'd, the 11400 can't.

3) GPU's functionally don't exist, but if they did the 3070 is better than the 3060Ti. Neither will do 4k60fps, for that you're going to need something like a 3080/90 and even that isn't going to consistently drive 4k at full framerates.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

njsykora posted:

3) GPU's functionally don't exist, but if they did the 3070 is better than the 3060Ti. Neither will do 4k60fps, for that you're going to need something like a 3080/90 and even that isn't going to consistently drive 4k at full framerates.

Neither will do 4k60 on EVERYTHING but it’s absolutely doable, especially with DLSS. My 3060ti will do 4k60 with Outriders, everything maxed and DLSS set to quality. Death Stranding is another one. Haven’t tested it with Watch Dogs 3 yet. Cyberpunk is 4k30/1440p60 with ray tracing though.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Bofast posted:

I was just thinking about this I’m not 100 percent sure if it’s something they got wrong or an upgradeability thing. They ship with 16GB of RAM- Two sticks would be faster, technically, but having just 1 stick means you can upgrade to 32GB by buying one stick of 16 GB RAM instead of having to toss a pair of 8GB sticks and buy a pair of 16’s.

The fact the motherboard only has two RAM slots (and one M.2 and... I think it was two SATA ports but I haven’t had that computer for like three months so I don’t remember the specifics besides “not enough”), that’s a different story.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

DerekSmartymans posted:

Are you sure that TV can do 120hz? Most TVs that advertise that feature are cheating and it’s just some weird filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Turbo clock is temporary boost, like when launching an app or game.

Any workload sustained for more than a few minutes (or a minute, it depends) the processor will fall back to base clock and stay there for the most part.

Only if you set it to follow Intel's guidelines for turbo duration, which many (possibly most) motherboards don't really do out of the box, so in practice you're likely going to see a lot more turboing than the minute or so that Intel recommends.

I was just thinking about this I’m not 100 percent sure if it’s something they got wrong or an upgradeability thing. They ship with 16GB of RAM- Two sticks would be faster, technically, but having just 1 stick means you can upgrade to 32GB by buying one stick of 16 GB RAM instead of having to toss a pair of 8GB sticks and buy a pair of 16’s.

The fact the motherboard only has two RAM slots (and one M.2 and... I think it was two SATA ports but I haven’t had that computer for like three months so I don’t remember the specifics besides “not enough”), that’s a different story.

I doubt they do it to make it easier or cheaper for customers to upgrade afterwards, considering they would rather sell you an extra stick right away, but as long as they advertise it clearly with 1x16 instead of 2x8 you can at least make the decision yourself. I know Dell sometimes ships 1x16 even when the order says 2x8, but I haven't seen that specifically from HP yet.