Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I used a map viewer and the map doesn't have one. Also no pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Yeah, that's normal. There are a lot of map features that only occur sometimes.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Cardiovorax posted:

Yeah, that's normal. There are a lot of map features that only occur sometimes.

I'd prefer if they happened at minimum once per map.

Like my current map has no handgun which means no phoenix blaster.

Edit: I made a new map and it has 3 enchanted swords :v:

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
If it helps any: there's always the option of using a modded map generator. Part of the problem is that Terraria has so much content now that even a large map just isn't big enough anymore to guarantee that everything will really show up somewhere. Forcing the generation of an even bigger one solves that problem most of the time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cardiovorax posted:

If it helps any: there's always the option of using a modded map generator. Part of the problem is that Terraria has so much content now that even a large map just isn't big enough anymore to guarantee that everything will really show up somewhere. Forcing the generation of an even bigger one solves that problem most of the time.

This is useful and also pretty entertaining. I made a hilarious hellworld that was just corruption stacked on crimson stacked on jungle everywhere. Also a shitload of pyramids.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Speaking of drop rates. I had a world where I was trying to get the ice skates. After running around the underground ice biome for an hour I lost patience. I took the rocket launcher and carved the entire biome into a 1 screen wide grid pattern and moved through layer by layer horizontally with a spelunker potion until I had gone through the whole biome from top to bottom. No ice skates.

Then once I got the artic diving gear I never used it because gills potions + wings + hook made it obsolete and I needed the accessory slot for other stuff.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Meanwhile these scarab bombs are fantastic. I just wish they would stand still and not move after they landed.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Katt posted:

Meanwhile these scarab bombs are fantastic. I just wish they would stand still and not move after they landed.

Their dig direction is always directly away from your current position. Exploit this by grappling or jumping at the right time, if wanted.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Ambaire posted:

Their dig direction is always directly away from your current position. Exploit this by grappling or jumping at the right time, if wanted.

Right but if I place one and then try to move away from the blast then the bomb will turn after being placed. I wish they just landed, locked in place and then let me move. It works fine if I'm standing in a corridor and can throw it but if I'm on a ledge and I need to place it on the wall and then run away it tends to angle diagonally upward before it explodes.

Katt fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Apr 3, 2021

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Cardiovorax posted:

It's anecdotal, but I'm often frustrated by the way Terraria's map generation scales up. I almost always play solo so I stick to small worlds and never really feel too pressed for space, except in terms of surface biome availability. Like there might only be a thin strip of forest between corruption on one side and snow on the other. Or the jungle might be half swallowed up by neighboring/underground biomes. But then every time I've tried larger maps, it felt just as bad? The regions all scaled up too so they weren't spaced out the way I'd hoped and I often ended up with just as cramped biomes as I'd had before. It just increased the distances to get to major points, so I went back to small worlds.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

It's anecdotal, but I'm often frustrated by the way Terraria's map generation scales up. I almost always play solo so I stick to small worlds and never really feel too pressed for space, except in terms of surface biome availability. Like there might only be a thin strip of forest between corruption on one side and snow on the other. Or the jungle might be half swallowed up by neighboring/underground biomes. But then every time I've tried larger maps, it felt just as bad? The regions all scaled up too so they weren't spaced out the way I'd hoped and I often ended up with just as cramped biomes as I'd had before. It just increased the distances to get to major points, so I went back to small worlds.

I had one (Large) world that just straight up didn't get a hallowed surface biome because the map had something like 4 sections of corruption that ate the narrow forest strips very quickly. And because there was no surface hallow I struggled to get pixie dust for holy water bottles to hallow the spawn area before the corruption ate that too.

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
I had a narrow strip that was jungle/meteor'd on my latest small map, so I spammed some hallowed seeds from the dryad until I got pixie to spawns. Small is sometimes biome starved but I think medium is slightly too big and large is plain masochistic.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I only ever play on big because I want more of everything. I never even tried the smaller ones.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Katt posted:

I only ever play on big because I want more of everything. I never even tried the smaller ones.
Honestly it's not remotely as different an experience as people make it out to be. The main difference is it takes a lot less time to go down your hellevator.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
The biggest difference, for me, is the distance from the ground to where harpies/wyverns start spawning. That distance is a lot less on small worlds... and the main reason I only play on large worlds.

I wish there were options for small/medium worlds with the total height of a large. Or at least the ground <-> space distance the same.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I just like having a wider range of untouched wilderness available to me. It's more fun to go through larger zones, makes it feel more like you're really exploring instead of just ticking off a list.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Vib Rib posted:

Honestly it's not remotely as different an experience as people make it out to be. The main difference is it takes a lot less time to go down your hellevator.

But that's where my crystals grow on the sides that I harvest while falling down. I want it tall.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Katt posted:

But that's where my crystals grow on the sides that I harvest while falling down. I want it tall.

I make my WoF platform out of stone. Plenty of crystals.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

The Lone Badger posted:

I make my WoF platform out of stone. Plenty of crystals.

But then your shots can't go through it right?

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Katt posted:

But then your shots can't go through it right?

2 thirds of the things you need to shoot are at or above your level so that doesn't really matter tbh

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

egg tats posted:

2 thirds of the things you need to shoot are at or above your level so that doesn't really matter tbh

I was thinking more that the ads can get very close before I can shot them down but this all might work well too.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

Katt posted:

I was thinking more that the ads can get very close before I can shot them down but this all might work well too.

yeah you don't really need to make a platform arena down in hell. lava slimes will drop lava when killed so they'll melt through wood platforms. i usually do an ash or stone platform and knock out one block every screen for lava slime lava to fall through.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Frida Call Me posted:

yeah you don't really need to make a platform arena down in hell. lava slimes will drop lava when killed so they'll melt through wood platforms. i usually do an ash or stone platform and knock out one block every screen for lava slime lava to fall through.

I used platforms made from those hell bricks because they're lava proof :eng101:

I copied your design because I have ten thousand millions tone but never enough crystals or wood.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I used to just punch holes in the buildings right about at lava height and then I'd pop a water wake 3 potion to walk over the lava.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Is there a client side only way to make a central player health bar? Or make a floating health bar over the player like other players in multiplayer?

This game is very pretty on an ultrawide but the upper right health bar is very easy to ignore when taking chip damage

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

Is there a client side only way to make a central player health bar? Or make a floating health bar over the player like other players in multiplayer?

This game is very pretty on an ultrawide but the upper right health bar is very easy to ignore when taking chip damage

client side? you mean, you run it seperate from the host of a server who isn't running it? no clue.

i know the unleveled mod had this functionality, unsure of it's current status with 1.4.2.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I wish the game had upgrades for the molotov cocktails. Pink slime has one practical use and that's molotovs for fighting the eater of worlds but if you don't find a pinky before that they pretty much go into a chest forever.

Something like adding a cursed flame to 20 molotovs to make a hardmode version. Maybe glowing mushrooms/hellstone for a post destroyer version etc.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Do I really need to find every single colour counterweight to make the yoyo bag?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop

Happy Thread posted:

I just set up an Easter Egg hunt in Terraria for our group for tomorrow too.

Rules are:
We all start together on a fresh map with infinite Echo blocks (invisible when placed; these are the eggs) and other equipment.
Each person is assigned one region of the map.
They go to that region and hide 10 of their echo blocks.
Each echo block must have a clue pointing towards it, but the clue could be anything in the game; just something that's unusually out of place on a fresh map.
Finally, everyone gathers in one region at a time and hunts for all the hidden eggs in that region while the person who hid them watches on.

Should feel like a pretty new experience; a twist on the exploration mechanics of an old game!

Trip report: We did this egg hunt today and it ruled and totally brought new life into the game.

We did two rounds of hiding 5 eggs each. That's all it took. The game was still elaborate enough that two egg-hiding setup periods still took everyone a while. Sometimes there were several steps between finding eggs. Some of my teammates even made up storylines and told them using signs.

Every time we thought we were out of ideas, we nonetheless all scattered and churned out cool puzzles that we didn't expect to think of. There are so many abstract ways for something to "point" at something else in the game. It's also easy to come up with clever puzzles if you've got a full dupe menu of every item in the game open to inspire your thoughts.

Tips if you try this:
- Remember that you can buy Spectre Goggles with Echo Blocks so you can see the "eggs" during construction to make sure they're really there. Just remember to unequip them when it's time for everyone to gather and hunt eggs in each others' domains so you don't get spoilered!

- It's easy for players to accidentally run into each other, if the egg hunt they're designing moves all around the map via clues. Try not to let others stumble onto your main secret creations before the surprise! It's easy enough to do avoid it when you're travelling together during egg hunt time though; just ask the group to re-route around it.

- It's really best to egg hunts on a fresh map where you have not explored or gathered anything, because that way the map looks more organic and untouched, and any disturbances stand out as intentional so that clues are easier to communicate. If hardmode is needed (someone wants to hide eggs in the hallow) it's easy to just start with maxed out characters, teleport potion to hell, kill the wall, and mirror back without disturbing the map much.

*However*, it's ok to keep re-using the same map over and over for new rounds of easter egg hunt. The puzzle areas might overlap, but that only adds to the richness of the experience. Eventually the entire map tells a story of each moment; as you navigate around it you'll see the entire history of one of the team mates discovering a clue's meaning or getting lost. Passing by those areas again is a treat, even as new puzzles cross over top of them. Hitting "puzzle oversaturation" as you keep re-using the map is not a problem.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Katt posted:

Do I really need to find every single colour counterweight to make the yoyo bag?

No, you need 1 of them.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Yeah it needs a white string, a yoyo glove, and a [colour] counterweight.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Katt posted:

I wish the game had upgrades for the molotov cocktails. Pink slime has one practical use and that's molotovs for fighting the eater of worlds but if you don't find a pinky before that they pretty much go into a chest forever.

Something like adding a cursed flame to 20 molotovs to make a hardmode version. Maybe glowing mushrooms/hellstone for a post destroyer version etc.

I think pink slime blocks cancel fall damage, but that's certainly a side point to your issue. And there's honestly only a brief window where that is both achievable and useful.

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Dareon posted:

I think pink slime blocks cancel fall damage, but that's certainly a side point to your issue. And there's honestly only a brief window where that is both achievable and useful.

Yea they do. I line the bottom of my hellevator with them as a backup plan.

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

I'm playing this game through for the first time, I've beaten plantera but haven't tried to fight the golem yet. There are a lot of really great things about this game, and I really enjoy most of it - but holy poo poo there are also a lot of really terrible things about it. Finally at the stage of the game where low generation rates of certain items make them an absolute nightmare to gather (lava charm and ice skates, looking at you). Fishing being the "fix" for that is not a workaround, because fishing is the most tedious loving poo poo I've ever done in a video game. Spend an hour getting lovely bait (that you should just be able to buy from an NPC, or should be optional - let me buy a nice hook or something), go to a specific biome, at a specific time (the wiki being the only conceivable way you'll ever figure this out), use all your lovely bait up in 30 minutes of mind-numbing wait-and-click "gameplay", discover that you've fished up 3 crates that drop the item you want at a 2% rate, then make the decision between quitting a game that has this god-awful mechanic as a central gameplay feature, or cheating your way around this god-awful mechanic.

I ended up generating several worlds for all of the terra boot ingredients:
Aglet (there was 1 in my world but the other newbie I'm playing with found it and used it)
Water boots (there was not one in my world anywhere)
Ice skates (there was 1)
Lava charm (there were none in my world).
This being the only way outside of an insane boring timesink to get critical items is extremely bad game design. And some of them don't even have that option, it's literally just world seed RNG, lol.

Besides that it's just inventory being a pain. I'm aware of all the "extra" inventories you can get but they feel like bandaids - this inventory system was clearly put in place before they added so many items - my double-sized inventory is completely full after a 10 minute excursion, then trying to keep an organized home-base storage system for the 10000 unique items is nigh impossible. I'm worried to sell or delete anything because it could end up being an irreplaceable component to a really important late-game item, like the seemingly worthless aglet.

I would also like to add that the NPC happiness system can get hosed. I finally figured out pylons after wiki-diving and youtube-watching for ages, then it kept loving breaking when new NPC's would show up and move in to the partially renovated village setups. So I ended up just making a prison cell in the middle of nowhere, after the pylons constantly broke for seemingly no reason.

Anyway, all this to say - mods when. There's a lot to like about this game and I want to keep playing it, but I need to mod out these rough edges or I'm just gonna quit. Why do these games always have pain and suffering in the form of inventory management and fishing.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Just play 1.3 with mods, it sounds like exactly what you want

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

That would mean starting over with way less content though. And also the wiki is really the only possible way to play this game as a new player, and going back a major version would mean that tons of it is inaccurate.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010
I know at a point you start only considering him as a key that let's you into hard mode, but the guide does actually tell you what you need to do and how to make things. terraria ain't minecraft

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

it's not mandatory to collect every item, in fact some people have fun optimizing how to generate and kill enemies and automatically collect their drops. other people have fun fishing. you can beat the game without delving into completionism, especially on lower difficulties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back
If you're a compulsive gatherer who needs to get everything, just play Journey Mode. Then you never need to worry about hoarding things to make sure you never run out, because once you've gotten a full stack or two you've got an infinite supply and can just trash them on sight.

The Terraspark Boots aren't even close to a critical item. I don't think I've ever gone beyond Spectre Boots. Most of the extra abilities the Terraspark Boots carry beyond that are totally unnecessary. You could probably benefit from less wiki-diving if you think that's a crucial item.