Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

It allows the winner to stage an invasion. It does guarantee that it will succeed and that rules.

Sure you trained an army of monsters to take over Earthrealm the moment you win but you didn't know that humans had A-10 Warthog technology.

"hahaha Goro liquifier machine goes brrrrrrr"

Outworks tries to invade so we teleport a bunch of nukes there via thunder god.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
In MK9 it's established that the Elder God rules on invading realms are actually incredibly weak and easy to rules lawyer, but luckily Raiden kills this continuities' Shao Kahn before he can take another shot and simply not set foot in Earthrealm

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Inzombiac posted:

It allows the winner to stage an invasion. It does guarantee that it will succeed and that rules.

Sure you trained an army of monsters to take over Earthrealm the moment you win but you didn't know that humans had A-10 Warthog technology.

"hahaha Goro liquifier machine goes brrrrrrr"

In Mortal Kombat 9 Kano is depicted selling guns to Outworld. Tarkatans are shown using them in the Mortal Kombat 3 parts.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Vince MechMahon posted:

Outworks tries to invade so we teleport a bunch of nukes there via thunder god.

Was that in any of the MK9 or MKX endings, cause that idea rules.

I was sad to see none of the "Earth becomes the aggressor, Outworld has to defend itself" endings ended up getting used for MK11, and it was just another time fuckery thing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

davidspackage posted:

Was that in any of the MK9 or MKX endings, cause that idea rules.

Kotal Kahn isn't allowed to have nice things.

Which is a shame, because next to Cassie he's my favorite of the new characters in the modern games.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Makes me wanna watch the Mortal Kombat animated movie again. Sonya actually brings up the idea of just bombing the island but Raiden says apparently modern technology won't necessarily work against magic.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Makes me wanna watch the Mortal Kombat animated movie again. Sonya actually brings up the idea of just bombing the island but Raiden says apparently modern technology won't necessarily work against magic.

Yeah, the Outworld invasion in the latter games did seem to go with 'attack helicopters are cool but so are dragons' approach.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

That and the tournament format has been used before, Edenia being on the losing side, and supposedly the realms merging approach seems to give a major advantage to the winner.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Cythereal posted:

Kotal Kahn isn't allowed to have nice things.

Which is a shame, because next to Cassie he's my favorite of the new characters in the modern games.

He's fantastic! It's too bad whoever wrote Aftermath apparently disagreed.

Disagreed with extreme prejudice

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I liked Kotal until it was revealed he was just some nerd in body paint.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Kotal's interesting in being basically 'less of an rear end in a top hat Shao Kahn' where he's actually a 'progressive for a Bronze Age god-king' type, which lends itself to some interesting reactions across the board.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Kotal's interesting in being basically 'less of an rear end in a top hat Shao Kahn' where he's actually a 'progressive for a Bronze Age god-king' type, which lends itself to some interesting reactions across the board.

Yeah but he paints himself green to look cool. He's lame.

Henker
May 5, 2009

I was just randomly thinking, is Mortal Kombat the most 80s video game series of all time even though it didn't come out until the 90s? It features a lot of things that really hit their zenith in the Age of Reagan:

1) High stakes martial arts tournaments
2) White people doing karate
3) Mystical ninjas
4) Killer cyborgs
5) Racist Yellow Peril villains
6) Sword and sorcery realms with buff dudes wearing loincloths
7) Heroic murderous cops
8) Slasher movie style extreme violence

And now the series features a bunch of actual licensed characters from the 80s.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Video games, especially big name published ones, tend to imitate popular media of the time rather than pursue their own aesthetics. Like a ton of games aren't subtle about it, see Contra and Metal Gear having official art be obviously traced over movie posters.

Mortal Kombat just especially so since they clearly realised they were onto something with the aesthetic, especially since it differentiated itself from the other big name fighting games of the time enough to attract imitators, and followed up on that and things that fit with it.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
The 80s aesthetic basically lasted until about '92, which is when MK1 came out.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also MK already was grabbing at Shaw Brothers type flicks with both hands.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Dawgstar posted:

I was thinking more Joseph Lai.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Henker posted:

I was just randomly thinking, is Mortal Kombat the most 80s video game series of all time even though it didn't come out until the 90s? It features a lot of things that really hit their zenith in the Age of Reagan:

1) High stakes martial arts tournaments
2) White people doing karate
3) Mystical ninjas
4) Killer cyborgs
5) Racist Yellow Peril villains
6) Sword and sorcery realms with buff dudes wearing loincloths
7) Heroic murderous cops
8) Slasher movie style extreme violence

And now the series features a bunch of actual licensed characters from the 80s.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JtRMvBNn88

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

sticklefifer posted:

The 80s aesthetic basically lasted until about '92, which is when MK1 came out.

So what you're saying is that Mortal Kombat is he most 80s video game series ever in that it contains a bunch of stuff that everybody associates with the 80s that was actually really popular in the early 90s.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Simplex posted:

So what you're saying is that Mortal Kombat is he most 80s video game series ever in that it contains a bunch of stuff that everybody associates with the 80s that was actually really popular in the early 90s.

The ABBA of video games.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Mortal Kombat both the game and movie are obviously Enter the Dragon, like how Street Fighter is Master of the Flying Guillotine

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Always thought it was fitting how the Street Fighter movie was supposedly based on a G.I. Joe script because they really do have a lot in common.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Mortal Kombat has kind of transcended its own influences and is now just, "Mortal Kombat."

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Didn't the first Mortal Kombat game start out as a straight adaptation of Bloodsport before they couldn't get the rights to JCVD's likeness?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Simplex posted:

The 80s didn't end until Doom (1993) was released. The early 90s is absolutely the 80s held over, just like the early 80s is the 70s.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The 80s didn't end until Doom (1993) was released. The early 90s is absolutely the 80s held over, just like the early 80s is the 70s.

Sorta like how the 90s end on 9/11/2001 exactly.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

wdarkk posted:

Sorta like how the 90s end on 9/11/2001 exactly.

I mean you can make a strong case that the 80s ended with the fall of the Berlin Wall and that works too, but then you have to classify 1990 - 1993 as a sort of liminal state where "the 90s" hadn't quite started and "the 80s" hadn't quite ended. 1993 was the year of the 3DO, CD-ROM pc games, Doom, Magic the Gathering, AOL online, the grunge wave hit its peak, the Reganite Republican President left office, etc. etc.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Apr 7, 2021

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dawgstar posted:

For a real trip look up some interviews with the first movies production crew about how they wanted to make a HK action movie with white people.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

For a real trip look up some interviews with the first movies production crew about how they wanted to make a HK action movie with white people.

That's because they understood the material.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

8 days. I have a feeling this will be bad, but I will like it anyways.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I saw that they gave Sonya weird hand thingies that shoot out pink circles and honestly the costume/production design people have earned every single cent of their salary and then some

g-c
Dec 10, 2006

Say cheese

teagone posted:

8 days. I have a feeling this will be bad, but I will like it anyways.

it got pushed up by a week. I think it drops on the 23rd now

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

g-c posted:

it got pushed up by a week. I think it drops on the 23rd now

Oh really?

:rip:

I wonder if that's enough time to write/edit out that Cole character, or make him not a new character.

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
There has to be some kind of connection between the new guy and Johny Cage, there just has to.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Didn't the first Mortal Kombat game start out as a straight adaptation of Bloodsport before they couldn't get the rights to JCVD's likeness?

I don't think it was going to be an adaptation of Bloodsport specifically but making it a game built officially around JCVD as the main character was definitely a thing early on.

teagone posted:

Oh really?

:rip:

I wonder if that's enough time to write/edit out that Cole character, or make him not a new character.

Mr. Neutron posted:

There has to be some kind of connection between the new guy and Johny Cage, there just has to.

I'm still hoping there's an Ed Boon level trolling where Cole is the fish out of water/exposition character just for the first act of the movie and then Kano or whoever brutally fatalities him and he's never mentioned again.

Arthur Bowlsworth
Dec 5, 2003

Wot wot, old boy. Might one have a toke?

Grendels Dad posted:

The ABBACAB of video games.

surely

gregday
May 23, 2003

https://twitter.com/derektmead/status/1379853281904652288

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~

Neo Rasa posted:

I'm still hoping there's an Ed Boon level trolling where Cole is the fish out of water/exposition character just for the first act of the movie and then Kano or whoever brutally fatalities him and he's never mentioned again.

That would be amazing.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
In concept yeah, but the actor is a decent actor and a phenomenal martial artist, his fight scenes were the only parts worth watching in Iron Fist. I'm hoping he gets a star turn after an old white guy refused to let the Iron Fist showrunners cast him as Danny Rand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Neutron
Sep 15, 2012

~I'M THE BEST~
Sure but why make him a new character and not Johny