Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
When I became vegan in college, a guy I knew angrily proclaimed that he would only eat animal products, no fruits, veggies, grains, nada, to prove to me... something or other. So his dinners were just like, beef and milk for a few days until he gave up presumably because making GBS threads had become a daily agony. Meatosis did not become him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

the raw meat diet is like the veganism of carnivores though

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

BrianBoitano posted:

The Paleo of carnivores. :pseudo:

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BrianBoitano posted:

The raw meat diet is like the fruitarianism of carnivores. Veganism is perfectly healthy and reasonable.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I was going from a "less processed" perspective, nothing against vegans :)

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

high meat is the real manly man's diet

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

BrianBoitano posted:

I was going from a "less processed" perspective, nothing against vegans :)
Yeah but veganism has nothing to do with processing. Fruitarianism is about eating only raw fruits (and nuts and seeds). That's the true anti-processing analogue for vegetarians. (Well, the best analogue is raw vegetarianism but that's boring.)

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Is there a general liquor or spirits thread? I don't want to pollute this general thread, but I only saw whiskey, cocktails, and wine threads.

I've decided to get into sake as my friend has uptalked the stuff a lot, and--at my local craft alcohol store--I got recommended a dry sake that was only $8, which would be phenomonal if it turns out to be good. It's named "Ozeki" if people have experience.

My local AYCE sushi places serve sake, so I assume it pairs well with fish, but what else do people like pairing chilled, dry sake with? What flavor profiles does it enhance?

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Don't know much about pairings since I just drink it with any old Japanese food, but I drink a lot of sake if you have any other questions or just want a general overview.

This is what I've got going tonight:

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Stringent posted:

Don't know much about pairings since I just drink it with any old Japanese food, but I drink a lot of sake if you have any other questions or just want a general overview.

I am *extremely* interested in a general overview/where to get started with sake.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

TheCog posted:

I am *extremely* interested in a general overview/where to get started with sake.

Well, caveat that I'm not trained or anything, I just drink a lot of sake, but there's basically two elements I consider when I'm choosing a bottle

The first is tanrei versus houjun. I think of this as kinda like a white wine versus red wine distinction, with tanrei being more like white. Tanrei sake is a lot lighter with less of an aftertaste, you'll see the terms sappari and karui applied a lot of times. Another one you'll see for tanrei is kirei. Houjun is often described as having a meatier taste, but the flavor that really comes out for me is mushrooms? It's kind of like a tanrei sake with a strong undertone of something funky and fermented underneath resolving into an aftertaste of the undertone. The main flavor description I've noticed is koku (usually written as コクが有り).

The second element is comparatively straightforward, it's just sweetness. This is probably the easiest element to judge since there's a scale called nihonshudo that most bottles will have a value for on the label. The lower the value, the sweeter the sake. That brings in another set of terms though, amakuchi(甘口) and karakuchi(辛口) which just mean sweet or dry. Another that you'll see occasionally is umakuchi(旨口) which is exclusively applied to houjun sake (afaik).

Sorry this probably isn't a great overview, and I know there's a lot of stuff that I'm leaving out like アミノ酸度 because I don't understand it, and the various grades 本醸造、純米、特別純米、吟醸、大吟醸 which I've never found to have much meaning except that the 大吟醸 sakes are almost always tanrei. Sake brewing is incredibly complicated and the combination of rice, koji, water, and technique produce incredibly different sake even if they're both 純米大吟醸 or whatever. The wikipedia sake article has a pretty good description of all that stuff if you're still interested tho.

Sorry I know this isn't a great overview, but like I said I'm not trained in this stuff. That said, I know enough to consistently find bottles I like so, good enough I guess.

*edit*
I just realized this also doesn't get into にごり, 原酒, or 山廃, but that can be shelved for a bit I guess, or someone else can chime in.

Stringent fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Apr 3, 2021

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Stringent posted:

Well, caveat that I'm not trained or anything, I just drink a lot of sake, but there's basically two elements I consider when I'm choosing a bottle

The first is tanrei versus houjun. I think of this as kinda like a white wine versus red wine distinction, with tanrei being more like white. Tanrei sake is a lot lighter with less of an aftertaste, you'll see the terms sappari and karui applied a lot of times. Another one you'll see for tanrei is kirei. Houjun is often described as having a meatier taste, but the flavor that really comes out for me is mushrooms? It's kind of like a tanrei sake with a strong undertone of something funky and fermented underneath resolving into an aftertaste of the undertone. The main flavor description I've noticed is koku (usually written as コクが有り).

The second element is comparatively straightforward, it's just sweetness. This is probably the easiest element to judge since there's a scale called nihonshudo that most bottles will have a value for on the label. The lower the value, the sweeter the sake. That brings in another set of terms though, amakuchi(甘口) and karakuchi(辛口) which just mean sweet or dry. Another that you'll see occasionally is umakuchi(旨口) which is exclusively applied to houjun sake (afaik).

Sorry this probably isn't a great overview, and I know there's a lot of stuff that I'm leaving out like アミノ酸度 because I don't understand it, and the various grades 本醸造、純米、特別純米、吟醸、大吟醸 which I've never found to have much meaning except that the 大吟醸 sakes are almost always tanrei. Sake brewing is incredibly complicated and the combination of rice, koji, water, and technique produce incredibly different sake even if they're both 純米大吟醸 or whatever. The wikipedia sake article has a pretty good description of all that stuff if you're still interested tho.

Sorry I know this isn't a great overview, but like I said I'm not trained in this stuff. That said, I know enough to consistently find bottles I like so, good enough I guess.

*edit*
I just realized this also doesn't get into にごり, 原酒, or 山廃, but that can be shelved for a bit I guess, or someone else can chime in.

This is actually exactly what I needed as a primer, thanks! Gonna go buy some sake this weekend, will report back.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Posting this here and the trans chat thread, in CCC
F in chat

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Congrats!

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Manuel Calavera posted:

F in chat

congrats friend! long time coming.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

SMH still misgendered by your own hair color what the gently caress

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Manuel Calavera posted:

F in chat

Hurrah!

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
YES MAAM.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

F in chat

:kimchi:

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

How Wonderful! posted:

When I became vegan in college, a guy I knew angrily proclaimed that he would only eat animal products, no fruits, veggies, grains, nada, to prove to me... something or other. So his dinners were just like, beef and milk for a few days until he gave up presumably because making GBS threads had become a daily agony. Meatosis did not become him.

I was a vegan in college too. Then I realized, animals don’t have an abstract understanding of death—and they taste good.

Also, when I started eating meat again I stopped getting chronic headaches, and stopped getting sick all the time.

The only people I know of though who ever lived off a 90% raw meat diet were the Inuit. Hard to find plants above the Arctic tree line that are edible, and you have to eat that seal meat raw or you’ll get scurvy; and I somehow really doubt they continue this diet today.

TychoCelchuuu posted:

The raw meat diet is like the fruitarianism of carnivores. Veganism is perfectly healthy and reasonable.

No, the Vegan diet—with a lot of research and work—can be healthy. The way it’s practiceed mostly, at least here in the US it isn’t that healthy.

My 2 1/2 year experience as a vegan was that I was extremely unhealthy; as for reasonable, that’s debatable too. Most political vegans are the opposite of reasonable.

ZombieLenin fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Apr 4, 2021

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

ZombieLenin posted:

No, the Vegan diet—with a lot of research and work—can be healthy. The way it’s practiceed mostly, at least here in the US it isn’t that healthy.
Most diets in the US full stop are not healthy. Veganism has nothing to do with it. Plenty of people eat healthy vegan diets with little research and zero work.

ZombieLenin posted:

My 2 1/2 year experience as a vegan was that I was extremely unhealthy
I know a lot of healthy vegans and a lot of unhealthy omnivores. In fact I know more unhealthy omnivores than unhealthy vegans!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell yeah for you getting your paperwork in order too dude. :kimchi:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

ZombieLenin posted:

I was a vegan in college too. Then I realized, animals don’t have an abstract understanding of death—and they taste good.

Also, when I started eating meat again I stopped getting chronic headaches, and stopped getting sick all the time.

The only people I know of though who ever lived off a 90% raw meat diet were the Inuit. Hard to find plants above the Arctic tree line that are edible, and you have to eat that seal meat raw or you’ll get scurvy; and I somehow really doubt they continue this diet today.

My 2 1/2 year experience as a vegan was that I was extremely unhealthy; as for reasonable, that’s debatable too. Most political vegans are the opposite of reasonable.

If i became vegan it would t be about whether animals comprehended death or not: it’s more their lives up to that point that matters.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I was a necessatarian for brief period when I was at university: I ate only vegetables because they were cheaper and it meant I could afford necessities, like beer and cigarettes

Scientastic fucked around with this message at 14:00 on Apr 4, 2021

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Scientastic posted:

I was a necessatarian for brief period when I was at university: I ate only vegetables because they were cheaper and it meant I could afford necessities, like beer and cigarettes

I buy meat for my son and me about once a month. If we ate meat regularly I would be buying organic free range etc, and it would become very expensive very quickly. Meat should be expensive. It should reflect the true cost of its production and we as a society should eat less of it and better. We eat vegetarian at home about 99% as my wife is vegetarian and it’s a lot cheaper, even though we don’t skimp on ingredient quality.

bloody ghost titty
Oct 23, 2008

tHROW SOME D"s ON THAT BIZNATCH
Ethical consumption of meat is why I own guns. That, and sporting clays.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I just wanted to impress somebody but I found out afterwards that I felt healthier and enjoyed eating and making my food a lot more.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

it’s easy to speak from places of privilege sometimes and talk about how everyone should and shouldn’t eat meat. with that said i largely agree that the current system is both awful and unsustainable and until cultured meat is truly affordable its probably better to reduce where possible and buy high quality local stuff where not.

i eat a lot of meat and eggs but we’re privileged enough to stick to local, small farm-raised stuff. i’m definitely way healthier since i substantially increased the animal segment of my diet but everybody is going to be different.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I'd be healthier if I ate less meat. Too many years eating fatty, delicious meats... :btroll: :smith:

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

mediaphage posted:

it’s easy to speak from places of privilege sometimes and talk about how everyone should and shouldn’t eat meat. with that said i largely agree that the current system is both awful and unsustainable and until cultured meat is truly affordable its probably better to reduce where possible and buy high quality local stuff where not.

i eat a lot of meat and eggs but we’re privileged enough to stick to local, small farm-raised stuff. i’m definitely way healthier since i substantially increased the animal segment of my diet but everybody is going to be different.

I am absolutely talking from a position of privilege and freely admit that. I still think I’m right though! (I think we mostly agree, really).

We had Beyond Burger hamburgers for lunch today. They’re better than about 95% of hamburgers I’ve had, including higher-end burger chains like Byron, Honest Burger, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, etc. I don’t ever feel the need to eat a beef burger again. They are pretty pricy though.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
Oh! That reminds me. I have a dalemma. I bought some white urad dal out of curiosity. I made dal with them but did not care AT ALL for the weird glutinous texture. Now I have most of a bag still to use. What should I do with them?

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

Manuel Calavera posted:

Hell yeah for you getting your paperwork in order too dude. :kimchi:

Aw thanks :3: it seems we both simultaneously were ready to figure out our DLs

How Wonderful! posted:

I just wanted to impress somebody but I found out afterwards that I felt healthier and enjoyed eating and making my food a lot more.

Same, although I pretty quickly found vegetarianism wasn't for me. My home cooking is pretty much pescatarian at this point - I have canned tuna and like some shrimp every now and again - and eating out I'll eat chicken or seafood if the veggie option doesn't appeal to me. But yeah I feel like I do a better job eating healthy, lots of vegetables etc and I very much do not miss prepping meat

therattle posted:

We had Beyond Burger hamburgers for lunch today. They’re better than about 95% of hamburgers I’ve had, including higher-end burger chains like Byron, Honest Burger, Gourmet Burger Kitchen, etc. I don’t ever feel the need to eat a beef burger again. They are pretty pricy though.

same. I've had some delicious burgers before, but in general when I'm craving a burger it's more about the char and the fixins, both of which I can have without a beef patty.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i am not that impressed with beyond burgers. they're...fine? they definitely taste like a veggie burger, too hard on the char and onion flavour imo. i am absolutely content to have them when out and about, though i won't bother with them for home eating. definitely not as good as the burgers i get around here. they're not bad, i just don't think they're some revolution in veggie burgers that a lot of people do. i really dig their beyond meat sausages, though. and i used to order 5lb foodservice bags of the beyond meat chicken, but has that product like just entirely disappeared?

i am more interested in seeing how the impossible burger tastes; they're in groceries around here but it's not a chain i can get delivered and i haven't been inside a store since last summer.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

therattle posted:

I got some Impossible ground beef from Trader Joe's and made the best burgers I've ever eaten (smash burgs in this case), I'm never going back except for cookout guests. Right now it's too pricy for everyone but I'm glad to pay extra to help it get to scale.

I agree Beyond isn't as good as real meat, though it is an improvement over e.g. Morningstar Farms Grillers.

Furious Lobster
Jun 17, 2006

Soiled Meat

Stringent posted:

Thank you for the overview, I'm also interested in learning more about sake. There's an importer in Oregon who has an always revolving webstore and did a zoom session to explain namazake. I'm trying to parse this label to find out if it is tanrei or houjun as explained but can't even find that. I liked the producer in the past and want to find more identifying characteristics to match in the future.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
It might be a few pages back or god forbid trapped in the archives but I distinctly recall there being a sake thread in here at some point. If I had search I'd dig it up but I remember it having a pretty informed OP and it's not like the info had changed over time making it out of date. You might also try the japanese cooking thread.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I'm a p big fan of impossible meat. It doesn't scratch the same itch as a standard classic burger w/ like onion, pickle, ketchup, mustard or whatev. It has a not-meaty enough flavor to be noticeable. But, if I want something stronger like a mushroom swiss or a pile of burg sauce or something, impossible has been great. The texture is spot on and when paired with other strong flavors, it's a good enough meat substitute for me.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

therattle posted:

Not related to veggie burger chat but hamburgers are one of those popular foods where the overwhelming majority of them are just terrible. And not just in terms of snooty that's-not-a-real-[whatever]-ism or anything. Just from the standpoint of technical execution or whatever you want to call it. Like I don't get fast food burgers not because of any ideological position or whatever, but most of the times when I have gotten one they're just soggy messes, or someone has assembled the bits sideways, or something like that.

Same with pizza. Pizza is hugely popular, but an astonishing number of pizza places produce pizza that's just execrable.

Not quite as popular but still common, and to illustrate it's not just American food staples, sushi is also a hugely hit or miss genre of food. Good nigiri and/or a good bowl of chirashi is among one of my favourite things to tuck into, but most randomly sampled sushi places are just kinda bad. This could be amplified by the fact that sashimi is one of those things where the drop-off from "great" to "good" is pretty narrow and the drop off from "good" to "bad" is much, much wider.

On the other end of the scale I feel like the average bowl of phở I've had is always at least "good" (and phở isn't even my favourite Vietnamese soup).

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I can't remember if I had beyond or impossible but it tasted like someone had frozen and thawed a beef patty a dozen times before cooking it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

therattle posted:

Oh! That reminds me. I have a dalemma. I bought some white urad dal out of curiosity. I made dal with them but did not care AT ALL for the weird glutinous texture. Now I have most of a bag still to use. What should I do with them?

Dosa

Ninja edit: Just noticed what you did there. Excellent.