Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Luffy needs to fight Shanks because he needs to beat all four emperors to prove he's really worthy of being the King of the Pirates.

He doesn't need to kill Shanks or anything like that, but I think a fight to prove he's worthy of the title and that he's truly now on Shanks' level is an inevitability.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
I think there’s just the one island that’s been shown to be under Shanks’ control so far, the one Bartolemew found.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Luffy will see The Big Hat, make his head super big, and have to fight Shanks for the hat because Shanks knows it needs to stay in the freezer in case he wants to wear it later.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

CodfishCartographer posted:

Luffy needs to fight Shanks because he needs to beat all four emperors to prove he's really worthy of being the King of the Pirates.

He doesn't need to kill Shanks or anything like that, but I think a fight to prove he's worthy of the title and that he's truly now on Shanks' level is an inevitability.

Yeah that’s what I meant basically. Come to think of it, has Luffy ever actually killed anyone? Usually he just crushes the ambitions of his enemies and leaves them to their fate but I’m not sure if that’s gonna work for Kaido

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Apr 3, 2021

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
The lands that Shanks rules have been kept intentionally vague because they're not part of the Caesar Clown/Doflamingo/Kaido story. We wouldn't have known what turf Big Mom ruled over at this point either if they hadn't taken Sanji. We can assume he also has at least an archipelago of western European style islands, anything else and he wouldn't be considered an emperors . Shank's turf might border or contain Elbaf, which is probably the next stop for Luffy.

With 3 glyphs he could find Raftel, but he will probably consider sailing there without the fourth poneglyph to be cheating.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Minion of Freya posted:

The lands that Shanks rules have been kept intentionally vague because they're not part of the Caesar Clown/Doflamingo/Kaido story. We wouldn't have known what turf Big Mom ruled over at this point either if they hadn't taken Sanji. We can assume he also has at least an archipelago of western European style islands, anything else and he wouldn't be considered an emperors . Shank's turf might border or contain Elbaf, which is probably the next stop for Luffy.

With 3 glyphs he could find Raftel, but he will probably consider sailing there without the fourth poneglyph to be cheating.

Not quite true, with 3 glyphs he'd be able to find a line that Raftel is on, but there's no gaurantee that works in the Grand Line, especially the New World, anyway.

I think technically Shanks might be blocking the path to Laugh Tale regardless, he may or may not be using it for clout but he seems to be the only member of Rogers crew left active with deserved notoriety (Buggy does not count), and he certainly believes in whatever Rogers was doing in terms of finding the right person to reach the island.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Lord_Magmar posted:

Not quite true, with 3 glyphs he'd be able to find a line that Raftel is on, but there's no gaurantee that works in the Grand Line, especially the New World, anyway.

Keep in mind too that for all we know, they could be three dimensional coordinates as well.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Julias posted:

Keep in mind too that for all we know, they could be three dimensional coordinates as well.

or fourth dimensional

after all, why 20 years in the future? is it just for shirahoshi?

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Lord_Magmar posted:

(Buggy does not count)

:mods:

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Larryb posted:

Yeah, from what we know Shanks doesn’t really seem like a bad guy compared to the other emperors (unless he has some dark secret nobody knows about) so I imagine the encounter will be a bit more light than usual.

What territory does Shanks control anyway?

Shanks is a brutal murderer with close ties to the world government

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
shanks is probably keeping the peace until the right person comes along, so he prefers the WG to someone like blackbeard, but not by a lot

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I just can't imagine shanks of all people being a loyalist to the WG. he's at best neutral with them

everything we've learned about the WG is antithetical to how shanks wants to live his life

on top of everything there's no way Oda made the mentor of our main character secretly evil; this isn't that kind of manga

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

It helps that of the surviving Emperors, Shanks is the only one you can have a normal conversation with.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

It would be funny if the country Shanks rules over is just this super chill place where everyone’s content, there’s no hidden dangers under the surface and the emperor is just a beloved guy that took over legitimately and throws regular drinking parties.

Either that or it was a shithole ruled by a dictator but drastically improved once Shanks took over.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Apr 3, 2021

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Shanks probably only holds territory because it keeps the other 3 Emperor's from succeeding.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

anime was right posted:

or fourth dimensional

after all, why 20 years in the future? is it just for shirahoshi?

One Piece is actually a huge barrel of whiskey that is waiting to be properly aged.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Gyges posted:

One Piece is actually a huge barrel of whiskey that is waiting to be properly aged.

binks sake...

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Gyges posted:

all things considered there has to be at least a 10% chance its legitimately this

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Dammit, Joyboy, I really wanted one piece of this aged cheese, but I arrived too early!

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
It's actually a really good loss edit

Libra
Jan 5, 2011

One Piece is the main character of One Piece, and this has all been one very elaborate introduction sequence.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
also the "he laughed" panel was in the latest anime episode and there's a couple interesting musical choices that make it pretty awesome

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

anime was right posted:

also the "he laughed" panel was in the latest anime episode and there's a couple interesting musical choices that make it pretty awesome

I agree, I don’t watch the anime much anymore, but I cried at the music, it was a very good choice.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
i expect that shanks doesn't outright rule over a bunch of territory in the way kaido & big mom do, he probably just has a bunch of islands under his protection in the way that whitebeard did without placing much in the way of demands on them etc

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

i really want some toki toki fruit shenanigans where someone will appear right on time at a very specific spot after 800 years.

Crosspeice posted:

Dammit, Joyboy, I really wanted one piece of this aged cheese, but I arrived too early!

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Peacoffee posted:

I agree, I don’t watch the anime much anymore, but I cried at the music, it was a very good choice.

Watching Rogers crew sail around having the adventure of a lifetime is one of the best things this manga has ever done.

I didn’t want it to ever end and it makes Oden’s fate sting that much harder to see him go from such happy times to dying so cruelly and leaving his country in the hands of Kaido for two decades

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Funky Valentine posted:

It helps that of the surviving Emperors, Shanks is the only one you can have a normal conversation with.

On the other hand, if you come at him with ambitions of taking him down or hurting someone he cares about, he will kill you dead or at least dismember you (see: Kidd). I think Luffy is the only exception to this since Shanks was ready and willing to cut down Ace up until he realized Luffy was his brother.

Larryb posted:

It would be funny if the country Shanks rules over is just this super chill place where everyone’s content, there’s no hidden dangers under the surface and the emperor is just a beloved guy that took over legitimately and throws regular drinking parties.

Either that or it was a shithole ruled by a dictator but drastically improved once Shanks took over.

I think in one of the One Piece novels (about Ace?), they talk about Whitebeard selling captured pirates to bounty hunters. So, who knows?

Teriyaki Koinku fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 4, 2021

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

On the other hand, if you come at him with ambitions of taking him down or hurting someone he cares about, he will kill you dead or at least dismember you (see: Kidd). I think Luffy is the only exception to this since Shanks was ready and willing to cut down Ace up until he realized Luffy was his brother.

I think in one of the One Piece novels (about Ace?), they talk about Whitebeard selling captured pirates to bounty hunters. So, who knows?

I'll be honest, that's a morally neutral thing to do. A lot of pirates have that coming, and a lot of bounty hunters are reasonably ethical people.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Darth Walrus posted:

I'll be honest, that's a morally neutral thing to do. A lot of pirates have that coming, and a lot of bounty hunters are reasonably ethical people.

Also, it's Kidd. The guy who expressly has his bounty because he kills people who disrespect his dream.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
oden turning his back on a decaying wano just sincerely doesn't feel fully right. i know he needed to be on the last leg of the voyage but the fact that he saw his retainers in rags, pollution pouring into the air, begging for him back and he still turned his back... idk

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

tbp posted:

oden turning his back on a decaying wano just sincerely doesn't feel fully right. i know he needed to be on the last leg of the voyage but the fact that he saw his retainers in rags, pollution pouring into the air, begging for him back and he still turned his back... idk

I like it, it's good to have hero's with flaws. He accomplished great things, but also inadvertently left Wano vulnerable for the take-over.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
The chapter is out by the way:

https://mangaplus.shueisha.co.jp/viewer/1009086

Scratchman Apoo
Mar 27, 2011

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

There's a line in the Ace novel that Whitebeard expressly forbid any kind of slave trading or drug dealing in his territories, and one of the subordinates under him was kicked out of the fold for breaking that rule.

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

I just can't imagine shanks of all people being a loyalist to the WG. he's at best neutral with them

everything we've learned about the WG is antithetical to how shanks wants to live his life

on top of everything there's no way Oda made the mentor of our main character secretly evil; this isn't that kind of manga

Shanks is good to his friends and brutally kills his enemies with no mercy, like all emperors.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CYB ORG HENTAI

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

CYB ORG HENTAI

"CYBORG HENTAI" is a pretty solid thread title.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Terror Sweat posted:

Shanks is good to his friends and brutally kills his enemies with no mercy, like all emperors.

that's fair and to be expected. An emperor being an actual friend to the WG tho? that I have reservations about

to be clear: I don't think any emperor is actually your friend. There are just different levels of being hosed over in their territory

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

An emperor being an actual friend to the WG tho? that I have reservations about
It seems to be less "Friends" and more "people who share concerns about the lunatic with two WMD Devil Fruits."

Man with Hat
Dec 26, 2007

Open up your Dethday present
It's a box of fucking nothing

Exciting Lemon
Does Orochi still have another head or am I miscounting? I see five scabbards and five heads roll. Kaido did one, that makes six and he had seven right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Man with Hat posted:

Does Orochi still have another head or am I miscounting? I see five scabbards and five heads roll. Kaido did one, that makes six and he had seven right?

In the case of the Orochi of legends it won’t die unless all 8 heads are severed at once. We’ll see if that’s true here though but I also wouldn’t be surprised if he’s down for good now.