Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
This movie was unnecessarily stupid and I get "yeah we just want big action scenes" which were great but the script was beyond dogshit even by its own standards.

At this point they should quite literally be releasing one hour movies consisting of unconnected action scenes.

Thought this was by far the worst of the 4.

Really bummed they just completely abandoned the visual style of 2014, its in such a different league of quality direction even with its stale drama. I think theres a happy middle ground between it and KOTM but this just completely nosedived any attempt to capture that same feeling.

AccountSupervisor fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 4, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

There were two and half set pieces in the film: the water fight, the Hong Kong fight, and the Hong Kong fight DLC. That those fights were strung together with some wack rear end human subplot BS and some dope rear end Hollow Earth/Giant Ape Excalibur poo poo is kind of amazing if you think about it.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I watched the other three Monsterverse movies this week to lead up to Godzilla vs Kong. GvK loving sucked and lost every compelling thing from the previous movies to get some 80s movie + Marvel mash up where everyone quips their way across to the next dull fight scene. Even the older Godzilla movies that sucked had some weird charms that elevated them into something interesting. This was just completely inert.

DrDraxium
Dec 2, 2002

Plz state the nature of the medical emergency

teagone posted:

Also wish it was now a spear instead of an axe.

Really thought it was going to be a spear, considering the very opening scene would've been the perfect setup.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I enjoyed how enthusiastically Mecha-G introduced his biological model's face to the various buildings of Hong Kong.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Apparently the director had 5 hours of film done. No wonder this thing felt disjointed as gently caress. We’re missing 3 hours of content. They could have easily made this 2.5 or even an extended 3.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The idea of adding an additional hour of human story (since I doubt the bulk of cut content was monster content) is hilarious. People would be complaining about how long the movie is and how you could easy cut an hour from it to bring it down to what we actually got.

The human element was weak as hell on this. Adding more to it would not fix this. Especially when you see what was cut, like the Lethal Weapon quipping and Monarch sitting around talking about what they decide to show instead.

KOTM had the opportunity to establish Monarch as something more than just a name but they opted to give them bullshit tech and not actually impact anything aside from moving the cast from one location to the other. Had they actually been good there I could see the argument of having the organization back in GvK to deal with rogue groups attempting to break the balance humanity has with Godzilla and the rest of the kaiju. Instead they immediately turn on Godzilla and are promptly forgotten to focus on Apex who we tag along for all their (dumb) evil poo poo.

Instead of wasting time with Bernie, Monarch should have been the skeptical one from the start and have them investigate/infiltrate Apex to find out what the gently caress was really going on. If they were legit enough to have a loving air wing and tactical team, that same tactical team should have still been around as veteran kaiju related squad.

Happy Noodle Boy fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 4, 2021

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

Apparently the director had 5 hours of film done. No wonder this thing felt disjointed as gently caress. We’re missing 3 hours of content. They could have easily made this 2.5 or even an extended 3.

Release the WingardCut

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
I have a lot of criticisms about this film's plot, but one thing I actually really appreciated about this movie is the way it paints both Kong and humanity as short-sighted, constantly mistaken, and mostly outmatched when it comes to dealing with "Big-Picture Nature." Apex's attempt to step into the ring to reestablish mankind as the top of the food chain almost ended civilization. They didn't make a monster that could beat Godzilla, they woke up a nightmare from a cosmic food chain that our Godzilla-having ecosystem needed a few miracles to handle in the first place, and Apex didn't even get a chance to put a corporate logo on it before it ate their ambition, shattered them like the eggshell they were, and went on a rampage.

With Kong himself, his one assumed big advantage going into the title fight was his intelligence. Him being the smarter monster was what everyone in-universe and out was counting on to shift the dynamic of their conflict, but as it turns out, when it's all laid bare, Godzilla's the smartest motherfucker in the film. Kong discovers the remnants of his ancient civilization, picks up his battery axe, and there's a moment of "Yeah, the ape can do this." Then Godzilla, who in-universe has been doing this poo poo since the 2014 movie, again, demonstrates a supernatural awareness of his surroundings, goes straight-up wrath of god, burns a hole into the core of the world, and screams "I see you, idiot. This isn't new to me. How about I just wreck the ruins of your kind's ill-decided history while we're having this little conversation, and you can come up here, try your luck, and we'll see what happens?"

And he kicks the poo poo out of Kong, to the point that there's not an argument about who's in charge. Godzilla smiles, even laughs as he does so; an escalation which tracks with his moments of being more than just a giant beast in the previous films. And when Mechagodzilla emerges, and the two earth monsters join forces, it's Godzilla, not Kong, who gets the idea to supercharge the axe. Kong even treats that moment with a kind of bewildered reverence. They really did an excellent job of making Kong expressive.

There's a lot in the human plot that doesn't sit right for me, but I loving loved how each of the main monsters were handled.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
I don't know if mecha G going nuts asap goes in my + or - column.

I guess I would have enjoyed what someone above said: if they had spent a little time showing something not right with the drift or other little hints of space psycho bleeding through. Kaiju horror.

However, I did appreciate them not treating it like we the audience didn't know exactly what would happen nor the characters being overly stupid. The CEO guy played it perfectly.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Vintersorg posted:

It’s typical for any blockbuster to produce up like 4-5 hours of raw story that they’ll inevitably pare down to a normal length. The Snyder Cut is a good example of what this would look like if they went in and completed all the colour timing, effects work, score, etc. But that’s kind of a weirdo experimental deal.

The issue with this film is not that it’s missing three hours of footage, but that - as you say - it’s been cut down to the very minimum possible runtime from a more typical length. The entire film is nonstop expository dialogue intercut with effects sequences.

I haven’t seen a movie cut to the bone like this since the Pet Sematary remake, where it‘s just like “here’s the plot” - ghost scene - “here’s the plot” - ghost scene - “here’s the plot”, until it technically ends. Like, oops, we forgot that the characters in a ghost story need psychologies.

Likewise, here, there’s absolutely something missing with Millie Bobby’s relation to her dead mother (and the father disrespecting the mother’s legacy and so-on).

In general, there’s a very obvious theme of children trying to honour their families while rebelling against them that’s nonetheless barely there. See Serizawa’s son, but also the little girl being adopted and losing touch with her culture. It’s not tough to speculate that there was originally a prologue with Skarsgaard’s brother. Even the baddie’s henchwoman is specifically his daughter.

This is linked back to the failings of the anticapitalist interpretation: we have no context for what these characters are rebelling against. What is the ‘mainstream’ view of Apex Computer Systems that the podcaster is opposing? A film can’t fully ‘be’ anticapitalist unless it first gives a clear picture of what capitalism is. That’s why Godzilla 2014 spends time showing us a third-world mining operation, a preventable nuclear disaster, oblivious tourists gambling in Las Vegas, etc.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Desumaytah posted:

Then Godzilla, who in-universe has been doing this poo poo since the 2014 movie, again, demonstrates a supernatural awareness of his surroundings, goes straight-up wrath of god, burns a hole into the core of the world, and screams

Godzilla posted:

“I’m the big buck of this lick. If any of you want to try it, come on and whet your horns!”

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The humans have constantly projected motivations and emotions on to the kaiju throughout this series that doesn't necessarily reflect reality. Godzilla and Kong simply have a dom/sub relationship and, lacking genitalia, find the closest thing to sexual release in the moment they scream in one another's face. Beheading MechaGodzilla together is merely the smoking of the post coital cigarettes', as it were.

Mokelumne Trekka
Nov 22, 2015

Soon.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1378720426818428932

lol that this could easily beat KotM's total world gross during a pandemic

While GvsK is well-written as a Saturday morning cartoon, general audiences seem to like it.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

The podcaster and two kids reminded me of the hackers in the first Transformers. Three dumb people who flail around and accomplish absolutely nothing. The entirety of their screentime resulted in... Pouring a drink on a computer, which momentarily flickered MechaG. Could just not have had them in the movie whatsoever and nothing would have changed.

Kyle Chandler does nothing but stand around a look concerned. What is he doing in those military tents, exactly?

The lady who was studying Kong was a bit of a dummy. Presumably you would be watching the interactions between Kong and the kid on those cameras we see, but I guess not because you didn't notice Kong using sign language?
Also, why are you surprised when the corporation who said "we need to use Kong to lead the way to a power source that we can use" did exactly that? What did you think you were doing in the hollow earth?

Bad Corp guy reminded me of Stanley Tucci from transformers:whatever. Building a thing using the evil monster's remains and then, shocker! Doesn't work out so well. Like this ceo isn't necessarily evil, he's just really stupid. All the people in this movie are.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I hadn’t thought of that, but yeah, on top of letting her small adopted child run around unsupervised with a literal giant ape, they also managed to somehow never notice said giant ape signing words back and forth to her despite living in a giant walled habitat made just to house him.

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I half expected MG to pop out of the building and get it's neck snapped immediately, with the real twist being that Gidorah infected Serazawa Jr, and the end of the movie is G and K tag teaming a reforming Monster Zero while the humans stand around, reflecting on the fact that no, they never DID know what the gently caress was going on around them.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

OB_Juan posted:

I half expected MG to pop out of the building and get it's neck snapped immediately, with the real twist being that Gidorah infected Serazawa Jr, and the end of the movie is G and K tag teaming a reforming Monster Zero while the humans stand around, reflecting on the fact that no, they never DID know what the gently caress was going on around them.

The fly except the dude is mutating into a three headed space dragon.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I don't mind the idea of introducing human elements into these films -- like at ALL. In fact, I prefer it. But I can't figure out why it always has to suck and that's the real problem. Showing ground level people wrestling with the idea of giant titans running amok on planet earth and just what the gently caress can be done about could (and should) be quite interesting.

Instead we get mostly terrible acting and even worse writing.

Skull Island (and a decent part of G14) showed that you can address that concept without being ridiculous or grinding the film to a halt so we all wind up yawning and rolling our eyes as we wait for more action. They fill these movies with uninteresting characters doing totally stupid poo poo with god awful dialogue so of course we want more monster fights. Millie Bobby Brown's entire contribution to this series seems to be staring upward, wide eyed, with her mouth agape. Skull Island even showed us that you can do it and still have it be over the top, corny and crammed with scenery chewing if it's written well and the actors have something to work with.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I liked the human stuff in G14 and Skull Island. It only sucked in KOTM and GvK because they reduced the characters to nobodies that just spout exposition and comic relief.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I think the only real issue with the human stuff in 2014 is Aaron Taylor Johnsons performance and character having absolutely nothing engaging about it.

You could have replaced him with a cardboard cut out of ATJ being pulled through each scene never speaking a word of dialogue and I would have been about as interested.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Skull Island was the only good Human thing cause it was just apocalypse now with a big monkey instead of Kurtz.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

AccountSupervisor posted:

I think the only real issue with the human stuff in 2014 is Aaron Taylor Johnsons performance and character having absolutely nothing engaging about it.

You could have replaced him with a cardboard cut out of ATJ being pulled through each scene never speaking a word of dialogue and I would have been about as interested.

The Cranston stuff in '14 is genuinely entertaining, and there's brief glimmers in the post-Cranston scenes where you could see it working with someone more charismatic than ATJ.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The next Monsterverse film should be the totally unexpected Captain Kaiju, a human operative enhanced with a titan-based serum, who puts a stop to malicious corporate, military, and terrorist activities before Godzilla has to get involved.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

Neurolimal posted:

The Cranston stuff in '14 is genuinely entertaining, and there's brief glimmers in the post-Cranston scenes where you could see it working with someone more charismatic than ATJ.

Hes gotten a lot better as his careers gone on, hes insane and crazy in Outlaw King and great in Nocturnal Animals so his extremely wooden performance in that movie just gets more annoying as I like him more and more.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

He should have been his character from Tenet.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I never minded ATJ in G14 because in almost all of his scenes he’s just there to bounce off more interesting human characters. Cranston, Watanabe, Olsen, etc. He’s really only on his own in the train scenes and the finale and there he’s moving with purpose through action scenes anyway. He’s fine.

I’d rather have milquetoast ATJ than the obnoxious white haired guy from KOTM, Wolf Dad, or 11.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Tekne posted:

The next Monsterverse film should be the totally unexpected Captain Kaiju, a human operative enhanced with a titan-based serum, who puts a stop to malicious corporate, military, and terrorist activities before Godzilla has to get involved.

So Ultraman?

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I never minded ATJ in G14 because in almost all of his scenes he’s just there to bounce off more interesting human characters. Cranston, Watanabe, Olsen, etc. He’s really only on his own in the train scenes and the finale and there he’s moving with purpose through action scenes anyway. He’s fine.

I’d rather have milquetoast ATJ than the obnoxious white haired guy from KOTM, Wolf Dad, or 11.
Exactly!

I thought he was great in G'14. He didn't need to be anything extra. When he was initially with his wife and kid after coming home from being deployed they showed a true chemistry but it's all interrupted by his psycho dad. Then when he learns his dad kinda wasn't lying he's shellshocked. This is literal Earth shattering news that titans exist. I think anyone in his boots would have acted the same.

gently caress I wish Gareth Edwards wasn't so hosed off from his treatment on Rogue One that he never wanted to touch these again.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He showed up for the premiere so who knows. Maybe time heals all wounds.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
The new MechaGodzilla design lacks character. I watched this movie two days ago and I can't really remember what it looks like. It had moving spine bits, I think.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The nerd friend was wrong. It was merely just a Robo Godzilla and not a true MechaGodzilla.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

As hammy as the movie was the titular mecha Godzilla line pinched me in the gut and took my lunch money.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

I don’t think the MBB plot was as useless as people are saying. It builds some suspense and interest into what’s being built. I don’t think people really consider how flat one of these movies would be with the human characters excised. It’d feel even lower stakes.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

No one is asking for there to be no human characters (though I'd watch a movie that was just kaiju), they want the characters to have things like arcs and motivation. That's the opposite of making the movie flat!

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

bushisms.txt posted:

As hammy as the movie was the titular mecha Godzilla line pinched me in the gut and took my lunch money.

It almost as bad as KoTM: God.... ZILLAAAAAAAAA 🤮

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Robo-Godzilla is a double-whammy of bad kaiju design because it’s a poor execution of an already-uninspired concept.

What if Terminator but big. Wow.

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

What if zod but big. Wow.

I'll never not believe they were working off a bvs script

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Despite all the jokes about "Mothra=Martha" during the years leading up to this film, GvK suffers from a distinct lack of a Martha scene. Kong, like Batman, has been turned into the very thing he fought against - in this case a weapon used by the US government. This film needed a moment where he stops being a tool of Monarch and becomes his own Kong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Mantis42 posted:

No one is asking for there to be no human characters (though I'd watch a movie that was just kaiju), they want the characters to have things like arcs and motivation. That's the opposite of making the movie flat!

Supporting your point: Cranston and serizawa were good, I thought. Charles Dance was pretty good.

Idk maybe you have to be middle aged to work in a godzilla movie? Or a little deaf girl