Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Threadkiller Dog
Jun 9, 2010

Randallteal posted:

I was greeted with quite the lewd sight when I loaded into my Chaos campaign.

Looks lite a regular Euro penis coin to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Riatsala posted:

I just had a very frustrating battle in the wood elves campaign and I can't figure out if I was doing something wrong.

First thing is that I was used the lowest tier spear cavalry to charge the enemy back line (mixture of dryads and treekin) partly out of desperation. I didn't figure they'd do well but I thought I could cycle charge in and out at least. Thing is the cavalry just absolutely refused to get *out* of melee. I hit J when they had taken 5% damage, and maybe 20 of them responded, but the rest stuck to the treekin like super glue. I started directing the unit across the map and again 2/3 of them just sat there for several minutes and got pounded to dust, while the other 20 tried over and over again to rejoin their doomed comrades. How am I supposed to cycle charge if my horses refuse to disengage?

That's 80% of why cavalry are such a ball-ache in the game at present. If you order the unit to move, but some of them are still stuck in melee, the rest of the unit will end up turning around to join back in, which can mean even more of them get stuck in melee, which means that when you order the unit to move...

This is doubly an issue if you're charging a high mass unit like a bunch of trees. Cavalry can often barge squishy men out of the way if ordered to move/retreat, but a tree weighs more than even a fat man on a horse, and Mr Elm will not budge except to take another swing at your horses.

Charging an enemy line with cavalry is only 100% a good idea if the enemy line is already in melee and/or running away.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Randallteal posted:

I was greeted with quite the lewd sight when I loaded into my Chaos campaign.

Don’t ever look at that “map” side of euro coin if you value your opinion of Scandinavia

kingturnip posted:

That's 80% of why cavalry are such a ball-ache in the game at present. If you order the unit to move, but some of them are still stuck in melee, the rest of the unit will end up turning around to join back in, which can mean even more of them get stuck in melee, which means that when you order the unit to move...

This is doubly an issue if you're charging a high mass unit like a bunch of trees. Cavalry can often barge squishy men out of the way if ordered to move/retreat, but a tree weighs more than even a fat man on a horse, and Mr Elm will not budge except to take another swing at your horses.

Charging an enemy line with cavalry is only 100% a good idea if the enemy line is already in melee and/or running away.

Learn to love the spam click

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

What's the most fun Wood elf campaign? I don't own Twisted and Twilight fwiw.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Drycha.

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
The twins are an amazing lord so I prefer them. Having flying artillery is crazy and with some of their upgraded items + the sword of khaine they become so ridiculously difficult to kill. A one man army

Then you add the goddess hero to the mix

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

I'd use cav more if I could recruit them from the same building chain as infantry. No way am I wasting a build slot on a unit type that is non-functional in a siege and missing out on missiles or artillery. And who's building chain provides literally nothing of benefit, where as with infantry buildings you usually get heroes, and artillery gets you sometimes also a hero, research rate, building cost reduction and oh yeah loving artillery.

Also a cycle charge mode, or being able to assign units to AI control would go a long way to making cav better. The AI is actually not bad at cycling cav.

99pct of germs fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Apr 3, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
What if cav shared buildings with certain monsters? At present by the time you can spare much for cav you can get your first monsters or are a gunline faction and don't want them anyway.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Cavalry need a dismount button.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Sasgrillo posted:

Also a cycle charge mode, or being able to assign units to AI control would go a long way to making cav better. The AI is actually not bad at cycling cav.
Use "J" on cavalry after the charge. It makes the cavalry unit do a 180, run away a bit and then reface the enemy they just ran away from.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Collapsing Farts posted:

The twins are an amazing.... A one man two women on a mount army

jokes posted:

Cavalry need a dismount button.
Play 3K.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
My vote for best welf lord would be “literally anyone but Twins”. They are SO grossly overpowered that it’s just not interesting or fun. And personally, I play Welves for combined arms fun times and Twins just want to doomstack. Boring.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

What if cav shared buildings with certain monsters? At present by the time you can spare much for cav you can get your first monsters or are a gunline faction and don't want them anyway.

If this was true or if they had some other factionwide benefit they'd be a lot more appealing for sure.

Maybe the cav chain should give a movement bonus akin to roads or an enemy movement penalty like some commandments give.

E: the trait Alberic gives is loving great for Black Arks. +15 to MA army-wide in sea battles is...nice.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Apr 3, 2021

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Attempted both an Alith Anar and a Alarielle VH campaign on the Vortex map and couldn't handle the constant swarms of dark elves coming at you. Not sure if AI factions deliberately attack at the same time as others but at one point as Alith Anar I had 3 stacks from Rakarth, 2 from a minor DE faction and 3 from Malekith. I could never leave my starting province because there were so many always coming at me.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

the prospector dwarf mod faction has made me really want a faction thats all about aerial troop transports

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Has anyone ever made a comic of Settra with a tennis racquet in hand yelling SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Give Setra a construct ball launcher like one from a batting cage but with skulls.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Why is Settra extra careful when he's riding his chariot?

Settra does not swerve!

Why does Settra hate going to the beach?

Settra does not surf!

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Settra does not swerve!

Settra does not surf!

This is why the Tomb Kings can't really be in 40K: even in death, they still surf.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
Settra on water gave me a hearty chuckle during my Tomb Kings campaign.
If you select and then move him you get this statement: "Settra does not surf, Settra sails!"

Alright, you do you, buddy. :D

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

The Warhammer II lords making little quips on the campaign map is great. Repanse talking poo poo on the Tomb Kings is great fun

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Tiler Kiwi posted:

all i can see is that fog texture and get really annoyed about how bad it is

the mod that makes it look not like rear end should be rated 6 stars

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Settra does not swerve!

Settra does not surf!

Why is Settra the worst inspector?

SETTRA DOES NOT CERT

Why would Settra lose a nuclear war?

SETTRA DOES NOT MIRV

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Has anyone ever made a comic of Settra with a tennis racquet in hand yelling SETTRA DOES NOT SERVE

one of the meme channels (okoii or maybe the other one) had that as a blink and you miss it gag like two weeks ago

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Started a new ME campaign as Skrolk and had a nice bit of luck when Nakai took those Western provinces and then suicided into my full stack + T3 garrison. That left a lot of territory held by Defenders of the Great Plan.
And their garrisons were fairly easy to take with 1.5 stacks.

So now I've got most of southern Lustria except for Tehenauin's land and the Eastern coast, have ~13k income per turn and 3 full stacks to play whack-a-mole with. A decent start so far.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
So with the new changes to High Sorceresses for DE, there is basically zero reason to use any other Lord as far as I can tell, even though Beastmasters should sync well with Rakarth's monster pens. You get a nice bound spell. You get a nice vigor reduction. You get a dragon mount. You get spells. You get all the same good Names of Power. And now, you recruit high sorceresses at higher level than other lords too so you get all the benefits of +Lord rank effects and all the benefits of +sorceress recruitment effects. Which means that stuff like obsidian giving +1 to level per resource node and that t5 sorc recruitment towers give +4 to level means you're pretty easily recruiting high sorceresses 4-10 (depending on tech and obsidian space) levels higher than the other lords.

E: even before the changes to give them bonus ranks like sorc heroes and the bound spell they were probably the best choice, though I liked beastlords for fun/flavor. This just makes it even clearer.

Ravenfood fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Apr 4, 2021

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Communist Thoughts posted:

the prospector dwarf mod faction has made me really want a faction thats all about aerial troop transports

Yea I really liked that addition. I think the regular dwarfs should get it. It's almost like cavalry, being able to fly a unit of infantry behind the lines and drop them for a rear charge or deploy them to defend your artillery in a pinch.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

Protagorean posted:

the mod that makes it look not like rear end should be rated 6 stars

the vanilla one is just so... terrible. its so obvious its tiled, with pretty loving small tiles too, and its more visually distracting than anything else going on. and it moves.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem
What’s the name of the cloud texture mod, please. I totally agree, the one in the game looks like a placeholder they forgot to take out.

Sedisp
Jun 20, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Why is Settra the worst inspector?

SETTRA DOES NOT CERT

Why would Settra lose a nuclear war?

SETTRA DOES NOT MIRV

I hear Professer Settras class is a pain in the rear end.

SETTRA DOES NOT CURVE

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

DaysBefore posted:

The Warhammer II lords making little quips on the campaign map is great. Repanse talking poo poo on the Tomb Kings is great fun

Malekith says he hates snow and that confirms his status as Darth Oedipus.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Malekith says he hates snow and that confirms his status as Darth Oedipus.
Malekith is voiced by my perennial man-crush Ramon Tikaram, who also voiced Dorian in the incontestable best performance in noted middling game Dragon Age Inquisition. This alone makes him the best lord, despite his mother issues

enslave me daddy malekith

99pct of germs
Apr 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It could work for certain factions like Lizardmen, and Druchii but you'd have edge cases like the Empire who's only monsters are Demi's. Where would they go? Personally I'm all for streamlining recruitment, but perhaps adding resource requirements for special units. To me recruitment buildings in general feel outdated and cumbersome. I want more buildings that let me hyper-specialize a provinces, add a little bit more depth to the campaign layer.

Communist Thoughts posted:

I lust for a Dwarf DLC that adds Malakai Makaisson and his Thunderbarge, the Spirit of Grungi, as essentially a flying Black Arc.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Scandalous posted:

Malekith is voiced by my perennial man-crush Ramon Tikaram, who also voiced Dorian in the incontestable best performance in noted middling game Dragon Age Inquisition. This alone makes him the best lord, despite his mother issues

enslave me daddy malekith

He also voices Gelt btw

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

AnEdgelord posted:

He also voices Gelt btw
Richard Ridings is credited for Gelt.

Gelt & Malakith do have a very similar "metal face" filter over their voices. So they sound the same. Especially when they're shouting.

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

Raygereio posted:

Richard Ridings is credited for Gelt.

Gelt & Malakith do have a very similar "metal face" filter over their voices. So they sound the same. Especially when they're shouting.
Richard Ridings is certainly Thorgrim Grudgebearer. I don’t think he voices Gelt, and I don’t think Ramon Tikaram does either. Whoever it is, they’re great though, I never get tired of WELCOME TO ESTALIA GENTLEMEN

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
honestly just get rid of the entire building slot system. all of it. into the garbage. handle recruitment and resource management in a more interesting way than a knockoff of civ. put mechanics in that make being a warboss significantly different from being an emperor.

Protagorean
May 19, 2013

by Azathoth

Tarquinn posted:

What’s the name of the cloud texture mod, please. I totally agree, the one in the game looks like a placeholder they forgot to take out.

Realistic Fog of War

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Tiler Kiwi posted:

honestly just get rid of the entire building slot system. all of it. into the garbage. handle recruitment and resource management in a more interesting way than a knockoff of civ. put mechanics in that make being a warboss significantly different from being an emperor.

I quite like the building system except that once I find a combination That Just Plain Works, I just do that over and over except for specific research things and military buildings.

Instead, you should just upgrade the main building and all the other buildings are auto-upgraded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

jokes posted:

I quite like the building system except that once I find a combination That Just Plain Works, I just do that over and over except for specific research things and military buildings.

Instead, you should just upgrade the main building and all the other buildings are auto-upgraded.
Yeah, keeping the slots and just having the building automatically upgrade without cost would save a lot of campaign map micro. They'd have to rebalance econ a bit to make that not broken, though.