Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Enos Cabell posted:

Flaming Lips and Beck would be a pretty great bill. I caught the Midnite Vultures tour where he had The Roots opening, and that was pretty killer.

CPL59H posted:

quote:

quote:
With ten Brown Acid records already released and no end to the series in sight, we figured the time was right to release the first ten records in a single, affordable batch. No color is guaranteed, you might get a clear, two reds a black and a white or maybe they’ll all be purple. Who knows! It’s part of the game.

drat, nice. That's like 10 albums of shut up and play yer guitar there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Turbinosamente posted:

That no color guaranteed thing sounds like either they're repackaging overstock or having the factory use up their weird colors. The only other record I have that was a random color was Rob Scallon's art/math rock record.

You gotta get some of that brown spirit.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Ballz posted:

There’s a Pink Floyd album (Animals i think?) that had a unique instrumental bridge between two songs that can only be found on the 4-track version due to the format’s shenanigans. That’s literally the only 4-track tape worth owning.

on the upside, since it wasn't gilmour who played that solo---it was snowy white, who toured with floyd for animals and the wall for additional guitars and to be part of the "surrogate band"---snowy put that version of pigs on the wing onto a CD he put out in the mid-90s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Goldtop:_Groups_%26_Sessions_%2774%E2%80%93%2794

so you can just hear it from the CD and not have to fiddle with the worst format imaginable

(though floyd nerds on the internet point out that white's release of it is remixed/reedited to make the solo more prominent? whatever, who cares, it sounds fine)

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

With the swirly it's not really intentional. I'm pretty sure the vinyl they use to make the disc is dyed black. I've only noticed this because I have a bright rear end light I use to inspect records before and after I clean then. Also a lot of records do turn out to be transparent. Old Mofi and Japanese pressings of stuff are a few off the top of my head. My copy of Power, Corruption, and Lies by New Order is also transparent when held up to light. It's kind of fun to find this stuff.
Certain pressings of Unknown Pleasures turn transparent purple under strong light, too. Mine doesn't.

Also, am I doing this right?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

Pretzellogic posted:

Certain pressings of Unknown Pleasures turn transparent purple under strong light, too. Mine doesn't.

Also, am I doing this right?

You're not doing it right, everyone else is doing it wrong.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
Y’all keep saying “transparent” when I’m pretty sure you mean “translucent”

pwn fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Apr 4, 2021

Pretzellogic
Mar 4, 2005

"I wouldn't..."

CPL593H posted:

You're not doing it right, everyone else is doing it wrong.
If I'm honest with myself, I think I remember buying one of these. Maybe.

pwn posted:

Sorry. My copy of Unknown Pleasures still isn't translucent, tho.

Harriet Carker
Jun 2, 2009

Man, it hurts having just gotten into this to find albums that had a limited release recently, are already sold out, and now going for obscene prices. I feel like I'm snapping everything up that's available due to FOMO.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dantheman650 posted:

Man, it hurts having just gotten into this to find albums that had a limited release recently, are already sold out, and now going for obscene prices. I feel like I'm snapping everything up that's available due to FOMO.

Give a man a limited release record and he will listen to it once, teach a man to enjoy Mitch Mitchell and His Gang and he shall listen forever...

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I got an AT120 after 10+ years of running on a bargain-basement entry-level DJ-style deck with an entry-level listening stylus that needed to get replaced ages ago

because I've been mostly broke for so many years, but that's another story

the main thing is that even though I know that this is an entry-level turntable, meant to be used and that these records of mine have probably had way worse things done to them over the last decade, it's almost too nice of a thing for me to slap one of my records onto

I hate this hobby sometimes

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

Turbinosamente posted:

The first rule of collecting 8 track is to NOT collect 8 track. I've got 40 to 50 tapes and I'm afraid to play them because they will inevitably break, and opening up the cart to fix them is not an easy task.

Haha yeah I have a couple cassettes which are pretty rare, and I would be afraid of ruining them, if I even had a tape player.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

8-tracks had colored shells, so they look kinda cool to display.

That's the only reason I can think to own a few. Oh, they can also help support a wobbly table. Now, that's two reasons to own 8-tracks.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

pwn posted:

Shut up, nerd!

hexwren posted:

I got an AT120 after 10+ years of running on a bargain-basement entry-level DJ-style deck with an entry-level listening stylus that needed to get replaced ages ago

because I've been mostly broke for so many years, but that's another story

the main thing is that even though I know that this is an entry-level turntable, meant to be used and that these records of mine have probably had way worse things done to them over the last decade, it's almost too nice of a thing for me to slap one of my records onto

I hate this hobby sometimes

Boooooo, hating this hobby is my gimmick.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Listening to Earth live at Third Man and appreciating it

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
I never posted pictures of what I got from my mom:

Some Beatles

Functioning zipper!

I'm a big fan of Giger so this was neat to see

Never heard of em

https://imgur.com/8tD7uTQ
(NSFW) This is apparently an early Elton John bootleg. Can't sell it on Discogs.

It's mostly stuff from the late sixties and the seventies - CCR, The Who, Rolling Stones, CCR, Grand Funk, Iron Butterfly, Poco, Journey, Steppenwolf, The Doors, Led Zeppelin (I, II and IV... They used to have III but I can't find it), etc... None in very good shape (though the records themselves are fine) and nothing super rare as far as I know, but they sound good and I'm happy to have them.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

hexwren posted:

Listening to Earth live at Third Man and appreciating it

I put that one on Friday night, such a great set

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

CPL593H posted:

The best known and most universally hated example of that is 4 Men With Beards. It's a shame because they somehow get the licensing for a lot of great titles. I'm guessing it's because their costs are low because their quality is low.

I've got 3 of their pressings - Faust So Far and the first two La Dusseldorf LPs. I don't think they're unlistenable exactly, just flat. I can only compare to the MP3s and in that sense they seem okay but yeah there's definitely something off about these. The unfortunate part is there's really nowhere else to get these albums unless you want to spend a small fortune. I'll say one nice thing about them though, their packaging is pretty good

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

CornHolio posted:

Functioning zipper!

This rules. I love gimmicky stuff like this.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

RC and Moon Pie posted:

8-tracks had colored shells, so they look kinda cool to display.

That's the only reason I can think to own a few. Oh, they can also help support a wobbly table. Now, that's two reasons to own 8-tracks.

And this:

I remember that "ka-CHUNK" sound so well.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CornHolio posted:

Some Beatles

Functioning zipper!

Is that Sgt. Pepper in mono? It doesn't have the big huge Stereo banner, so you might have something cool.

Also, make sure to pull that zipper down for long term storage. Otherwise, it might damage the record (and yes, people were paid to do this when they initially released the album after finding out about that).

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cemetry Gator posted:

Is that Sgt. Pepper in mono? It doesn't have the big huge Stereo banner, so you might have something cool.

Also, make sure to pull that zipper down for long term storage. Otherwise, it might damage the record (and yes, people were paid to do this when they initially released the album after finding out about that).

I'll check tonight on the Sgt Pepper. And I'll unzip that fly. It's probably been stored like that for nearly fifty years so the damage is probably done.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

CornHolio posted:

And I'll unzip that fly.

That's the first time I've ever gotten anyone to say that to me.

Of course it was about records.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Cemetry Gator posted:

Most stereo pressings don't have the big stupid banner. The best way to identify that is if the catalog number on the disc starts with MAS.

Cemetry Gator posted:

That's the first time I've ever gotten anyone to say that to me.

Of course it was about records.

We may all be record collectors but we are also goons.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

We may all be record collectors but we are also goons.

So unzip 'em and drop 'em!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

So unzip 'em and drop 'em!

a/s/l?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

my copy of the new Godspeed You! Black Emperor record came with two code sheets:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

Cemetry Gator posted:

It is indeed mono, looks to be this one.

It has an undamaged cardboard cutout sheet, too! However, no dust sleeve. Guess I'll be buying some sleeves.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

CornHolio posted:

It is indeed mono, looks to be this one.

It has an undamaged cardboard cutout sheet, too! However, no dust sleeve. Guess I'll be buying some sleeves.

Good find.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

my press of the new hold steady record is a little jank - the lead-in groove on side two locks before hitting the first track

either that or the turntable's not set up correctly in some sense

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.

graham cracker posted:

So, my AT LP120X order got cancelled from the place offering it for 250.

Anyone else have an alternative idea for a ~$200-300 player that's decent or a reputable retailer?

I don't know if you ended up finding an alternative vendor or different turntable, but Amazon seems to have the LP120X back in stock for $250.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Not sure if anyone cares but there's a repress of the Uncle Tupelo Live At Lounge Ax (previously RSD only and sold out) available: https://wilcostore.com/collections/new-items/products/live-at-lounge-ax-ltd-ed-red-vinyl-lp?variant=39279543451713

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I was thinking about sinking way too much money on Cardiacs records on payday tomorrow and the site notes "International orders over £35 may incur a duty." Anyone know what kind of cut we're talking on imports these days?

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I haven’t faced any sort of overseas fee on any media order in a long time. So I dunno, maybe it gets rolled into the total?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

The next Vault package is another White Stripes 20th Anniversary thing, this time for White Blood Cells.

caligulamprey posted:

I was thinking about sinking way too much money on Cardiacs records on payday tomorrow and the site notes "International orders over £35 may incur a duty." Anyone know what kind of cut we're talking on imports these days?

I can't guarantee anything but I've bought a few things from Europe recently and I didn't have to deal with that.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Is it a brexit thing?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

BigFactory posted:

Is it a brexit thing?

They have to brush off all the terf dust before it leaves the UK.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

BigFactory posted:

Is it a brexit thing?
Yep. I forgot to include the second line, "This is a result of Brexit and is beyond our jurisdiction."

Either way, gimme that Sing to God and Seaside.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

caligulamprey posted:

are they actually shipping to the US now?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

JAMOOOL posted:

are they actually shipping to the US now?
The site says they ship worldwide, but have weight limits and you might have to break orders up if they're too big.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IG-88
Apr 21, 2019

Nah bro you’re good. Vapor boys order stuff all the time from the UK and they don’t get hit with any weird “tax”. :coal: