Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Sisal Two-Step posted:

AITA For Refusing to pay for my husband's meal at the restaurant?

ESH. Marry an adult next time. Also, ACAB.

Cops generally make 200-300k from overtime and side work before you get into the illegal stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
They’re just hoping that if they neg the food the cook will get pissed and go “I’ll prove them wrong!!!” and make easter dinner again. which given that they went into overdrive to cook for 17 extra people with no notice the last time instead of saying “lol gently caress you” is probably not the worst bet to make

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
gently caress I would have ordered the cheapest pizza and topped it with any leftover Easter candy. Here you fuckers go.

AITA for not wanting to take our 2 month old to church?

quote:

It’s Easter Sunday and my bf is a Christian (although he’s not super religious) and I understand today is an important day for him. We are going to spend it with his family this evening but he also wants to take the baby to church. Our baby is currently 10 weeks and all week we’ve been going back and forth about her going to church. I don’t mind her going to church at all. My only concern is the noise.

His family’s church plays super loud music with drums and a piano, along with super loud speakers and singing. The church is a small building so there’s not a nursery for kids and I think the music is loud because it’s only a one room place so it kinda isolates. I’m an adult and it’s loud to me and you can hear the music from the outsides as you get out the car to walk in.

That is my only concern because she is almost 3 months and I feel that is extremely loud for a baby. This is our first child and I notice the concerns I have, he makes me feel like maybe I’m dramatic. It makes me feel bad about myself but I also want the best for her. I don’t want him to feel like I’m unsupportive or that I don’t care for what he wants with our baby. I just wish he’d consider her health more or remember she’s still a newborn.

When she was a few weeks old, he wanted to take her out and to see many people and I disagreed because of covid and her being born in January (flu season) and doctors telling me that a fever could result to her being in the hospital at those early weeks. So he uses this against me a lot by saying I don’t allow him to make any decisions around her. Although his mom (lives out of state) stayed in our house right after I left the hospital and then the rest of his family ended up visiting when she was 4 weeks, so I do feel I allowed him to get his way on things I didn’t always agree with. Him and his brother also really pressured me into leaving my baby with his family to watch her to please their grandmother. So I definitely have let him have his way on things.

I don’t want him to feel like he can’t make decisions but I also want the best health for our baby. So it makes me eat away at myself because I feel bad about myself and stuck. It feels like the past 2 months of her being here been stressful with trying to consider her health but also making sure he’s happy.

I told him maybe we could walk in after the music. But they play music throughout and he says she’ll be fine and that I’m just overthinking. This morning we talked about it again and I told him that was a big concern of mine and he walked out and left without giving us a chance to talk about it or compromise. Now I’m feeling bad about it because I know he’s going to say I never listen to his decisions. I didn’t mind her going other than the noise but it bugs me how he brushes off my concerns with “she’ll be fine.”

AITA for this?

Lady, everyone in the church will hate you bringing a loving baby to the church, as much as I hate you for wanting to go because of loving Covid.

Always amuses me how so many religious people are diehards about some hills, but ones like "no sex outside of marriage lol especially no knocking your girlfriend up" is always a passable one. No ages given on the parents either.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

"Tarragon Potatoes, Homemade Mac n Cheese with smoked Gouda" doesn't sound unseasoned to me.

His new family is probably made of salt addicts.

There's some people who think stuff "has no flavor" unless you pour a half kilo of salt into it, and subtle spice mixtures designed to highlight the flavor of what you're eating are "bland"

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

A religion post just in time for easter. This one could have gone much worse :yikes:

Brother (17) and his creepy minister friend (40ish) “baptized” me (21f) in my room while I was sleeping because I work at hooters. A dumb thing I don’t believe in or major violation ?

quote:

I know this will sound crazy but growing up with my golden child; over medicated, spoiled brother has also been crazy.

I’m not sure where to begin but last fall my fiancé dumped me out of the blue with almost no explanation. He hated me so much that he didn’t even ask for the ring back. I had so little self respect that I wanted men to ogle and harass me but didn’t have the guts to start stripping so I applied to hooters. What I actually found was a really cool place to work that takes my self respect and safety very seriously and a very supportive female energy that is better than therapy when it comes to getting over getting dumped so hard.

My younger brother prays for me constantly. He has no issues telling me where I’m going when I die, how I’m responsible for ruining men and forcing temptation into the world. I’m 21 and shouldn’t be living at home anyways so I just ignore him. My parents refuse to step in because I think he honestly scares them both in what he might do to himself or them. My brothers best “friend” is an absolute creep of a “minister” who spends nearly all his time with my brother. I think they have like 8 members of their church which they actually hold services by renting out the cafeteria in the elementary school down the street from our house.

On to the events of last night. I worked until very late, and like masks or hate them, being a server wearing a mask on a double Saturday shift tucking sucks and I was exhausted when I got home and laid down in bed without showering I was so tired. I woke up to water being dropped on my forehead with my brother holding his phone with the light shining right on me. Creepy minister guy was in his robes with a gold cup dabbing water on my face. He asked me if I accepted Christ as my savior and I honestly don’t know what I said but it was along the lines of what in the hell we’re they doing. My brother kept saying something like please get her to say it and finish up. Something about that made me think the minister was masturbating on me (he wasn’t thank god) and I jumped up out of bed (thank GOD I had fallen asleep dressed) and told them to get the gently caress out. The minister kept telling me I had to say the words that I accept Jesus or he can’t leave.

My dad heard the commotion and came up and told my brother to leave my room with the same half hearted conviction in which he always treats my brother and didn’t even acknowledge there was 40ish year old man dressed like baby yoda holding a pimp chalice in his daughters room. I screamed again for them to get the gently caress out and they left saying they would pray for me. I locked the door and tried to go back to sleep but it’s now 6:30 AM and I’m typing this up.

I will get no reaction other than an “I’m sorry, we’re trying so hard with your brother “ out of my parents so that track is pointless. I could go to the cops but they’ll accuse me of being fake more than the Reddit trolls will. Should I just let this pass and tell story for laughs and lock my door from now on?

Happy Easter, everyone!

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

DemoneeHo posted:

A religion post just in time for easter. This one could have gone much worse :yikes:

Brother (17) and his creepy minister friend (40ish) “baptized” me (21f) in my room while I was sleeping because I work at hooters. A dumb thing I don’t believe in or major violation ?

Happy Easter, everyone!

Time to play hardball with your dad. Back up your accusation against the 'minister' or lose a daughter.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Cowslips Warren posted:

gently caress I would have ordered the cheapest pizza and topped it with any leftover Easter candy. Here you fuckers go.

AITA for not wanting to take our 2 month old to church?

Lady, everyone in the church will hate you bringing a loving baby to the church, as much as I hate you for wanting to go because of loving Covid.

Always amuses me how so many religious people are diehards about some hills, but ones like "no sex outside of marriage lol especially no knocking your girlfriend up" is always a passable one. No ages given on the parents either.

Baby Earmuffs are a thing and enhance cuteness like 10 times.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer

DemoneeHo posted:

Happy Easter, everyone!

Jesus loving wept.

Ten to one that minister is doing poo poo with a bunch of teenagers. I foresee some kind of violent spree incoming.

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

DemoneeHo posted:

Happy Easter, everyone!

Taze the brothers balls off

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

SchnorkIes posted:

Cops generally make 200-300k from overtime and side work before you get into the illegal stuff

lol. The worst part is that I'm sure you actually believe this.

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

My work here is done. :allears:

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Maybe OP assumed their meals were cooked well last time because they made a shitload of food and the guests ate it all so quickly there was none left for them?

Either way, if a meal planned for 5 suddenly became 22 I probably wouldn't speak to the person responsible for an extra 17 mouths for a while if ever again, so simply refusing to cook Easter dinner again is NTA.

EDIT: That was posted four hours ago, which means that OP was asked to host Easter dinner with less than 24 hours notice. OP would be fully justified in cooking and serving the corpse of the asker.

that's how you get your whole family line cursed by the gods

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Quackles posted:

God I just had the heartiest of laughs

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

My brother has severe learning difficulties and now as an adult lives in a 1-1 staffed residential group home. At one point a new guy came to the home who was severely autistic and liked the sound and I guess sensation? of things breaking when they were dropped. Cue no more ornaments or plates or cups or <things you'd left out such as laptops>... He'd lived at home with his mother until that point, but she'd gotten too old to care for him anymore.

After a few weeks/months of systematically breaking everything in the house, he got moved on to another place, as none of the other resisdents could deal with it. I feel for the other lad in that situation, but nobody is gonna adopt that poor kid and sometimes therapy can only go so far. It's a lose-lose situation...

Our solution with my brother when his behavioural problems and syndrome were just too much to deal with anymore, was to get him into a residential school (like this) and then a large amount of overnight respite care when he was home briefly at the end of term. The structured and heavily routined environment was good for him, maybe that could work... Once he became an adult, he moved into sheltered housing and his disability benefits and the government pay for it.

Nettle Soup fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Apr 4, 2021

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Nettle Soup posted:

Our solution with my brother when his behavioural problems and syndrome were just too much to deal with anymore, was to get him into a residential school (like this) and then a large amount of overnight respite care when he was home briefly at the end of term. The structured and heavily routined environment was good for him, maybe that could work... Once he became an adult, he moved into sheltered housing and his disability benefits and the government pay for it.

This was the path with my cousin, eventually. My aunt tried everything to keep him at home, but as soon as he started on school he just LOVED it. He'd run out to the car when it showed up. The structure was what he needed (he is nonverbal, and you could tell how frustrated he was trying to make people understand him).

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motronic posted:

lol. The worst part is that I'm sure you actually believe this.

Yeah that’s pretty low depending on the district.

The TV idea of cops as downtrotten poors is pretty hilarious

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

CharlestheHammer posted:

I mean, I guess the cspam crossover here is high enough that there are multiple people who believe this. But just lol. The payscales aren't what you think they are, and are public so you can easily look this up yourself. The biggest compensation benefit they have as compared to most other jobs is a pension. Otherwise it's just middle class blue collar pay with the exception of some outlier municipalities and individuals. The only way they're downtrodden is if they suck with money. But they're also not routinely making $300k a year. That's a ludicrous assertion.

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

CharlestheHammer posted:

Feel free to PM so as not to derail, but do you have ANY data to show this is true on a wide scale in the US, or just a few districts you found in major metropolitan areas with particularly corrupt police?

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Motronic posted:

I mean, I guess the cspam crossover here is high enough that there are multiple people who believe this. But just lol. The payscales aren't what you think they are, and are public so you can easily look this up yourself. The biggest compensation benefit they have as compared to most other jobs is a pension. Otherwise it's just middle class blue collar pay with the exception of some outlier municipalities and individuals. The only way they're downtrodden is if they suck with money. But they're also not routinely making $300k a year. That's a ludicrous assertion.

Believe what you want as you binge watch blue dogs or whatever it’s called. Though pubkic record don’t record side jobs as it seems you are unaware

limp_cheese
Sep 10, 2007

Nothing to see here. Move along.

If my sister's FIL is anything to go by that pay sounds about right. 2 new cars every couple of years, big house, multiple vacations every year including foreign ones. That pension is no joke and this is from middle of nowhere Indiana.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

limp_cheese posted:

If my sister's FIL is anything to go by that pay sounds about right. 2 new cars every couple of years, big house, multiple vacations every year including foreign ones. That pension is no joke and this is from middle of nowhere Indiana.

The pension is a huge deal, why "losing his pension" is always such a media trope for a bad cop to worry about.

Plus, amazing benefits. If an officer is injured (on duty I would hope instead of just ever) to the point of no longer being able to work as a cop they get their full pension immediately.

Yeah everyone says ACAB but it's also an insanely high paying job for someone with a high school diploma so you get a ton of people who want both long term financial security and be able to beat the poo poo out of poc without consequences. And for all the ones who don't want to cave in a black person's skull for fitting a description it's better to keep their mouths shut if they want the long term financial security as well.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Quackles posted:

That's our Quackles!!

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
AITA for not allowing my son to have certain pets?

quote:

Hello reddit! I genuinely don't think i'm in the wrong here, however after a discussion with some family members I'm having second thoughts.

First off let me start by saying I'm on mobile so, no format here and also english it's not my first lenguaje, so sorry for any mistakes.

Now I (F38) am terribly scared by spiders and snakes, like it's not just fear it's a phobia, I can't even look at pictures without having a panic attack, but muy son (M14) loves them and has always been like this he's on the autistic spectrum so he knows all about reptiles and tarantulas, since he is very responsible and overall the best kid a mother could wish I thought about letting him own a pet. He has his mind set on a tarantula or a snake but really I just can't with the thought of having those animals in my house. I've spoken with him about it and even if he is upset he understands why I can't let him have those pets so we've been looking at other reptiles.

Now his dad (M40) and I are divorced because "he couldn't deal with our son" however a few year ago he came back saying he was really sorry and wanted to be part of his life (he can't have anymore children so he want's to get to know his kid) I was a bit hesitant at first but after I talked to my therapist and my sons therapist I decided on giving him the opportunity. His dad has told my son he can have any pet he wants and that he will buy it, but the pet has to live in my house (because that's where my son lives) he got him all excited about the pet and I had to tell him no, that there was no way those animals could live with us (other words but basically it was that). He got upset and went to his bedroom to read and I called his dad to tell him not to buy a snake or a tarantula and he got angry with me saying I'm just denying our son of some happiness and that he deserves those pets because they are important to him, now all of his family hates me for saying no and I kinda feel like an AH because it breaks my heart watching my son get all excited about something and me just saying no, but really I can't even watch those animals without crying.

So Reddit Am I the rear end in a top hat?

Love how easy it is to replace a kid for so many people. And even better, kid, you can get whatever pet you want, but gently caress if I will take care of it!

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

CharlestheHammer posted:

Believe what you want as you binge watch blue dogs or whatever it’s called. Though pubkic record don’t record side jobs as it seems you are unaware

Usually doesn't record overtime either, which for a lot of cops is double base wage for any hours worked outside 8-5, regardless of how much they've worked that day/week

spouse
Nov 10, 2008

When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

Cowslips Warren posted:

AITA for not allowing my son to have certain pets?

Love how easy it is to replace a kid for so many people. And even better, kid, you can get whatever pet you want, but gently caress if I will take care of it!

This is quite possibly the most transparent "pitting the kid against my ex" move I've ever seen.

Grant previously denied wish of child, put responsibility on ex to deliver, WHILE making that thing one of ex's greatest fears. Dad is like the Lex Luthor of being a gross manipulative gently caress.

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

ikanreed posted:

His new family is probably made of salt addicts.

There's some people who think stuff "has no flavor" unless you pour a half kilo of salt into it, and subtle spice mixtures designed to highlight the flavor of what you're eating are "bland"

Smokers. They’re probably heavy dart chuffers who can’t taste anything any more unless it is heavily salted/chilied

duffmensch
Feb 20, 2004

Duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem!

SchnorkIes posted:

Usually doesn't record overtime either, which for a lot of cops is double base wage for any hours worked outside 8-5, regardless of how much they've worked that day/week

All of the FOIA requests I've received relating to salary/employee pay in the public sector usually include OT as a separate line item, but the companies that publish it usually lump them all together.

Also, it's not unheard of for officers to earn >$200,000/year, but it is rare: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/374-seattle-police-department-employees-made-at-least-200000-last-year-heres-how/

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

duffmensch posted:

All of the FOIA requests I've received relating to salary/employee pay in the public sector usually include OT as a separate line item, but the companies that publish it usually lump them all together.

Also, it's not unheard of for officers to earn >$200,000/year, but it is rare: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/374-seattle-police-department-employees-made-at-least-200000-last-year-heres-how/

Hell this article itself puts it as 153,000 average and o doubt Seattle is one of the more high in districts.

That’s honestly more than I thought they made as a baseline I always assume most would be suplimentary income.

Apparently not

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

CharlestheHammer posted:

Hell this article itself puts it as 153,000 average and o doubt Seattle is one of the more high in districts.

That’s honestly more than I thought they made as a baseline I always assume most would be suplimentary income.

Apparently not

That’s $153,000 not including benefits or side income, mind you

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

E: F;B I'll put content in later

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

duffmensch posted:

Thanks for clarification on OT. Union workers have complicated compensation. I should know, as a union worker my total wages are 3x my listed "salary" without even including the complicated maze of retirement

Evil Willow
Apr 26, 2007
Bored now...
AITA for pushing my grandmother into a bush

quote:

OKAY I KNOW THE TITLE SOUNDS REALLY BAD BUT PLEASE READ ALL THE WAY THROUGH

I was enjoying Easter today with my grandparents. We had our semi-anal egg hunt in the yard and as the day wore on it was apparent grandma was getting tired.

Her house is on a pretty steep hill and she is in a wheelchair soo put two and two together and...

Well grandma is flying down the hill because I didn't hold onto the wheelchair properly and it slipped. Its my fault, I know, and I take responsibility.

She started going too fast and eventually I just said gently caress it and ran up next to her and shoved her into an adjacent bush. She fell and had a soft landing, but the bush was prickly so she got a few cuts and maybe a bruise.

everyone in my family is convinced I pushed her on purpose though. That comes from the fact that we've never had a great relationship. I dont wanna get into why but ive had quite a few shouting matches with her over seemingly small things. I was never the favorite of hers...

But, I wasn't gonna let her die! But my family is saying I'm the rear end in a top hat because I pushed her out of the chair, to them, for seemingly no reason, and she claims I pushed her on purpose too.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

semi-anal egg hunt

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Just the tip

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

You know I was so distracted by that stupendous typo that I never thought to wonder, wait they do 2 egg hunts a year?

What

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Mr. Lobe posted:

You know I was so distracted by that stupendous typo that I never thought to wonder, wait they do 2 egg hunts a year?

What

People mix up biannual and semiannual so much that it's never clear which anyone means unless there's a context clue.

It's worse with "bimonthly" and "biweekly" because the literal definition goes both ways

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I don't think people usually misinterpret
semiannual as biannual, it's usually the other way around

There's just not the same degree of semantic freedom with semi as bi.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

Traxis posted:

semi-anal egg hunt

Where else do you hide the golden egg?

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
pan-anal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

ikanreed posted:

People mix up biannual and semiannual so much that it's never clear which anyone means unless there's a context clue.

It's worse with "bimonthly" and "biweekly" because the literal definition goes both ways

That's why we use the word "fortnightly"