Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

syntaxrigger
Jul 7, 2011

Actually you owe me 6! But who's countin?

I really should be posting more. Here is a thing I did based off of the original gundam anime. Been in a slump lately so I was glad to have this idea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Some small sketches for stamps.

IkeTurner
Apr 19, 2002

readingatwork posted:

I don't know why I did this...

Because it's beautiful.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
I wrote a book

https://twitter.com/_MagicScience_/status/1377616035101179910

schmarson
Dec 21, 2012

MY DUDES

Ultra Carp
It's Poisson d'Avril in France, everybody!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

Drag Queen Aquaria. Featuring the return of my nemesis: Hair

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

I'm trying to increase my painting skills.Currently painting this with a reference. Anyone who can spot any glaring mistakes I'm making that I can easily fix? Or is it just a matter of "keep doing what you're doing until you can do it less crappy"?

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

Claeaus posted:

I'm trying to increase my painting skills.Currently painting this with a reference. Anyone who can spot any glaring mistakes I'm making that I can easily fix? Or is it just a matter of "keep doing what you're doing until you can do it less crappy"?

Feels very flat for some reason. I feel like a value study is what is needed and then paint color over it... however... that probably doesn't sit well with you since you are so far along. Basically a value study will give you a sense of depth before adding color. The lighting appears flat and the style kind of impasto / impressionist. Consider atmospheric perspective. Things farther away should be hazier and things right next to the camera should be razer sharp.

This site might help although it is geared towards digital painting but the tips / tricks pretty much all apply here.
http://androidarts.com/art_tut.htm

For content:

A "shady dawg".

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

sigma 6 posted:

Consider atmospheric perspective. Things farther away should be hazier and things right next to the camera should be razer sharp.

Additionally, depending on the distance and the "thickness" of the atmosphere, things further back may have their colors shifted, frequently in a cooler direction. Like how mountains look blue in the further distance, even if they're covered in foliage or stone that isn't remotely blue up close.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
Things need to get paler and bluer as they go backwards. Throw in some strong darks at the front if possible. That is everything I know.

e: look here's the watercolour I did today. Following a tutorial and I'm not saying it's great but look at the lampposts - they're not all the same darkness. If they were, your eye would see them as flat.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Claeaus posted:

Probably the easiest thing to fix would be the building on the left. It's basically the same shade throughout and making it and the rest of the image feel flat. Besides trying to do something to that building to fix it, it's very much "keep doing what you're doing until you can do it less crappy".

Other things to look at in the scene are the trees as well. In the painting they all have a uniform color and just diminish in size. In landscape, color tone/temperature is important. Cooler tones feel as if they're receding and warmer tones will appear to advance towards you. Here's a decent little blurb about it. An important thing to keep an eye for is color analysis, meaning that what your brain infers the color to be isn't necessarily what is actually there. It's important to try and draw/paint what's actually there, not what you think is there. This also applies to basic life-drawing as well and will help you build good fundamentals to help you abstract and improvise later. Basically keep at it and keep making mistakes and learn from them.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010
Thanks everyone! I'll see what I can do.

quote:

[...]the style kind of impasto / impressionist
Any "style" in this painting is only due to lack of skills rather than any artistic choice on my part.

Also, here's a dinosaur with shoes because I couldn't get the feet to look good

sigma 6
Nov 27, 2004

the mirror would do well to reflect further

For a split second I thought it waa "crocs on crocs" .... then I realized ... that's no croc or alligator. That's a dino!

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

I'm trying to get better at drawing realistically from observation. This is a still life I've been working on the last couple of days.

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Haven't really managed to draw recently. Somehow the motivation is just lacking, and it's stressing me out :smith:

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

NAG posted:

Drag Queen Aquaria. Featuring the return of my nemesis: Hair

I don’t know if you’ve seen these before, but here’s a couple of blog posts that might help you think about how to render hair.

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/04/hair-string-mop.html?m=1

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/2008/04/hair-ribbon-secret.html?m=1

Hair is one of my favorite things to draw, it’s really fun once you get the hang of it. Just trying to spread the joy

Nebalebadingdong
Jun 30, 2005

i made a video game.
why not give it a try!?
more NES Zelda maps

Gif version:

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

que sera sera posted:

I don’t know if you’ve seen these before, but here’s a couple of blog posts that might help you think about how to render hair.

Hair is one of my favorite things to draw, it’s really fun once you get the hang of it. Just trying to spread the joy

These are great thank you!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

que sera sera posted:

These look great, thank you so much!

que sera sera
Aug 4, 2006

HopperUK posted:

These are great thank you!

:tipshat:

there's an incredible amount of info about every traditional medium there is, as well as generally applicable posts like that one. he's still updating even!

i accidentally linked the mobile site, so here's the web version with the handy index on the side.

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/?m=0

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

que sera sera posted:

:tipshat:

there's an incredible amount of info about every traditional medium there is, as well as generally applicable posts like that one. he's still updating even!

i accidentally linked the mobile site, so here's the web version with the handy index on the side.

https://gurneyjourney.blogspot.com/?m=0

Oh he's *that* guy! I've had his books on my wishlist for ages. Might have to nab em.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
skull study that was garbage cause it looks like leatherface's skin mask.

art man on youtube told me to do random lines then turn into shapes to learn form and shading. should get a better phone.

Regardless of crappiness, I think I am getting better and having fun.

Claeaus
Mar 29, 2010

ButtWolf posted:

Regardless of crappiness, I think I am getting better and having fun.

That's all that matters!

Did some quick painting using only red, black and white. Accidentally made the bird fat and also I gave him wonky wings. But for 1 hour I'm happy with it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Claeaus posted:

That's all that matters!

Did some quick painting using only red, black and white. Accidentally made the bird fat and also I gave him wonky wings. But for 1 hour I'm happy with it.

I love this spherical cardinal.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
first time poster. here is a beatnik type guy i want to make a comic for.

i want to do some model sheets/turnarounds for him, but he has such a weird, stylized lil tictac head i don’t know how to draw him at other angles. break it down into shapes, right?

also, here’s his boyfriend:

Shinmera
Mar 25, 2013

I make games!

Welcome! :wave:

I felt the summer spirit today

gurragadon
Jul 28, 2006

ButtWolf posted:

art man on youtube told me to do random lines then turn into shapes to learn form and shading. should get a better phone.

This looks really cool and seems like a fun way to shade better. Did you have any plan or was this all freeform after putting in random lines?

I've been working on this for a couple of days. Really struggling trying to get the fabric look right.

smallmouth
Oct 1, 2009

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

gurragadon posted:

This looks really cool and seems like a fun way to shade better. Did you have any plan or was this all freeform after putting in random lines?

I've been working on this for a couple of days. Really struggling trying to get the fabric look right.

Thanks. I just chose a light direction and started shading. Its really good practice. Also, fabric is the devil.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

gurragadon posted:

I think that actually looks really nice - the one bit that sticks out is the curve at the top right of the basket, where the fabric comes around in a circle. There's a really hard line following the curve of the circle and the shadow to the right of it looks kinda flat - is it really all one tone? Varying that darkness a bit might give more of an impression of the fabric falling away.

I really love the linework on the wicker. Looks lovely.

Sitting Here
Dec 31, 2007
PSA: Based on a discussion with some folks, I made a place where people can post their work for goons to peruse and hopefully commission art. The other purpose of the thread, and the thing that prompted me to ask people about it, was that I would like a place to point goons who would like to request forums art (like gang tags, avs, banners--things specific to SA). No one has to accept such a request, but at least I would have a central place to point people. Anyway here is the link, hopefully this is in some way useful to someone!

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3964463

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

Walks
Sep 11, 2006

:dukedog:
Finished my second attempt at an animation.
https://i.imgur.com/dPgItaX.gifv

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
That animation rules!

Got a solid proof of concept for this thing done!

NAG
Jul 13, 2009

dog nougat posted:

That animation rules!

Got a solid proof of concept for this thing done!

This series of yours is consistently excellent! Love this lil guy.

Here's Aquaria en el agua. Did my best to split the strands of hair into ribbons and had to fiddle with the water surface a lot, but I think it was time well spent.

ButtWolf
Dec 30, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NAG posted:

Here's Aquaria en el agua. Did my best to split the strands of hair into ribbons and had to fiddle with the water surface a lot, but I think it was time well spent.

This is amazing except one thing: their left nipple is too dark and opaque. That lil foam/variance shoupd be dulling it, no?

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

NAG posted:

Thanks! Wish I knew where the hell I was going with it. My work feels indeterminate and kinda aimless. Like there's too many ideas for weird lil stories in my head and I get pulled in too many directions at once.

Did some more work on the shrimp walker suit thing. Sci-fi Steampunk Space Shrimp.

Still a work in progress, but I need to take a break from this. There's not really anyway to come up with a shorthand for the filigree/arabesque in gothic architecture, so it's super time consuming.

Dude's walking around the scifi-art-deco-gothic city on the home world of the rat papal empire. Not sure what the hell the shrimp home world is like. Most certainly a water world, with weird lil underwater sand castles.

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009
I'm dumb

dog nougat fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Apr 10, 2021

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

One of my OCs!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dog nougat
Apr 8, 2009

Got some more work done on this today. Decided that I should just ditch the gothic portion of the architecture moving forward. Feels disjointed and a bit out of place.