Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Len posted:

Helmets on always because then I don't have to mess with face sliders
I feel ashamed to agree with this, but it's true. I just don't have the patience for face customization. I pick the first thing that looks okay and then wear a full helmet forever after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Like when you look in the mirror, then just go "gently caress it" and wear a hat all day.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
...I just wear a sweatshirt and pretend my hair is a mess because the weather made me put the hood on, but yes.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I take a great deal of joy in sharing screenshots with my friends and seeing them (or hearing, lately) them recoil in horror at what monstrosity I hath wrought.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RareAcumen posted:

I really appreciated that you had the option to turn off helmets.

I wish AssCreed: Odyssey had the option to turn on helmets during cutscenes.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Alhazred posted:

I wish AssCreed: Odyssey had the option to turn on helmets during cutscenes.

Same. One of the best bits in Valhalla was you getting to wear a full-on horse skull over your face as part of a celebration. It showed up in cutscenes even after that sequence, which was so awesome, but then it eventually just stopped appearing. I have no idea if that was a bug or if I accidentally upgraded it to a completely different look, or what.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

FFXIV is best experienced as a tank wearing the one piece head/chest tin can that makes your model stare straight ahead for cutscenes, so show helmet options are always nice.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Captain Hygiene posted:

Same. One of the best bits in Valhalla was you getting to wear a full-on horse skull over your face as part of a celebration. It showed up in cutscenes even after that sequence, which was so awesome, but then it eventually just stopped appearing. I have no idea if that was a bug or if I accidentally upgraded it to a completely different look, or what.

It was part of a quest line. But there was a bug where it just never went away!

Also Spider-Man 2 had the ability to grab someone and haul them around while swinging then pile drive them into the ground. You could do this from any height. I had a lot of fun delivering spinning pile drivers to goons from the top of the Empire State Building.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Late in Divinity Original Sin 2 you get access to a consumable item that reduces the cost of all your abilities. This is so powerful that it arguably doesn't count as a little thing.

But, the mental image of my party of seasoned adventurers (which includes a skeleton and a lizardman) all knocking back some freshly brewed green tea at the start of every battle probably does

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

In earthbound your dad will ring you after a minute to let you know to take a break. There's a part where you aren't playing as ness and he'll still ring you up and say the same, I thought I caught them in a trap, but they added a bit of extra dialogue at the end of the call where he realizes Jeff ain't his son but still wishes him well.

Kwanzaa Quickie
Nov 4, 2009
Speaking of Spider-Man movement being such a joy, if you haven’t done it yet, run up the side of a fire escape.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm always glad for more options, but personally I will never turn helmets off. NEVER!

I just don't care for some of the ones in Horizon.

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

In The Sinking City, there are posters for a book called Sherlock Holmes: Mystery of the Creepy Watson, as a neat throwback to the devs' earlier work.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
That cracked me the gently caress up the first time I saw it.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

I really like how the prompts in the Walking Dead sometimes gets really sarcastic.
I also like how the game lets you do goofy poo poo:

(if you do this you get a "that was a good one" prompt)

Alhazred has a new favorite as of 19:39 on Apr 2, 2021

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Will I ever get tired of my hunter saying "time for walkies" when I ride a dragon? Because I don't think I will

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

One cute thing I like about Horizon Zero Dawn is that some of the resources you find to sell to merchants are just old everyday stuff completely misunderstood by everyone as ancient charms and talismans and such. Like, a set of keys is listed as "ancient chimes" and a bottle opener is an "ancient toothpick" :3:

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
"From the intricate design and detailed decoration on the side this must be a ceremonial vessel of great importance. Who knows what complex rituals surrounded its use."

"...maybe they just drank out of it?"

"Don't be ridiculous, you obviously know nothing about the ancient world"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

haveblue posted:

"From the intricate design and detailed decoration on the side this must be a ceremonial vessel of great importance. Who knows what complex rituals surrounded its use."

"...maybe they just drank out of it?"

"Don't be ridiculous, you obviously know nothing about the ancient world"

It wasn't just travel cups either, some were plain old office coffee mugs.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Yeah, the cups are one of the best collectathons ever.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It's a pretty good joke. Ritual significance in archeology is code for two things. We don't know what this is or dildos

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Captain Hygiene posted:

Yeah, the cups are one of the best collectathons ever.

Pity the turnin rewards are so naff.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think one of my favourite bits of Horizon Zero Dawn lore is the reason many of the robots resemble dinosaurs - Gaia heard about the Dinosaurs when being taught by her creator and thought that they sounded cool and that it was a shame they were extinct, so she brought them back the only way she could as there were no remaining DNA samples to extrude

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Pity the turnin rewards are so naff.

Yeah, that's kind of a problem with the game in general. Stuff is mostly its own reward to collect, you can pretty much buy whatever outfit or weapon works best for you. Mods are okay but not really game-changing, so the rewards for anything don't seem super exciting.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I wonder if the MH devs bring their kids around for monster brain storming because Goss Harag is so dumb it loops around to amazing

He's a bear
That can make his paws ice scythes
And also just spit ice beams from his mouth

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
The big Story DLC for CrossCode dropped a little while ago, and something nice they added in the new town area was a place for all your cosmetic pets. Each one you can get has a place to just do stuff in the town, like the Shiba Inu wuns around a rock on loop, enough that there is a path worn in the ground, or the fat cat pet wanders around the market asking NPCs for food.

Also they added a joke skin dlc that turns an already very expressive character (due to not being able to speak) into a just absurd parody, and its great.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

Len posted:

I wonder if the MH devs bring their kids around for monster brain storming because Goss Harag is so dumb it loops around to amazing

He's a bear

Goss Harag looks too humanoid and it weirds me out, I'm supposed to be playing Monster Hunter not Huge Guy Hunter

Arx Monolith
May 4, 2007

Len posted:

He's a bear

Ice bear. A bear with cold powers. Bear Conditioner.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Ashsaber posted:

The big Story DLC for CrossCode dropped a little while ago, and something nice they added in the new town area was a place for all your cosmetic pets. Each one you can get has a place to just do stuff in the town, like the Shiba Inu wuns around a rock on loop, enough that there is a path worn in the ground, or the fat cat pet wanders around the market asking NPCs for food.

Also they added a joke skin dlc that turns an already very expressive character (due to not being able to speak) into a just absurd parody, and its great.

That skin is great. I beat CrossCode last year, months before the DLC was available. I really liked the game and it was on my GotY list. Do you think I could get into the DLC okay if I picked it back up or is it all super high level stuff that expects me to still have muscle memory for everything mastered (like DOOMs DLCs, where the extra stuff is very additive with its challenge)

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice

LawfulWaffle posted:

That skin is great. I beat CrossCode last year, months before the DLC was available. I really liked the game and it was on my GotY list. Do you think I could get into the DLC okay if I picked it back up or is it all super high level stuff that expects me to still have muscle memory for everything mastered (like DOOMs DLCs, where the extra stuff is very additive with its challenge)

You could probably pick it back up, that's what I ended up doing. Take a little bit (maybe 10-20 minutes) to reacquaint yourself with the controls and your abilities and it should be fine. It is balanced for someone who has completed the base game, but then it picks up right at the end of the story so that is logical. No NG+ shenanigans required. Difficulty curve is pretty good, with one exception.

The last boss of the new dungeon is nasty. Really nasty. And trying to upgrade your gear to equivalent levels means fighting a bunch of the mooks in the dungeon then running back to town to upgrade stuff so it scales to your level. That encounter requires your A game, with efficient element switches and quick kills of bulky sub-bosses. Some people claim that it is an easy fight if you can perfect guard, but those people are the same ones who say Gwyn is super easy if you can do parries.

Other than that one stumbling block I feel like the DLC is well balanced and worth it. There are like more than a dozen new sidequests, most with new fun bosses of their own, and a nice conclusion to the story as well.

And if you find the one boss too hard you can always do what I was too proud to and reduce the difficulty.

Robert J. Omb
Dec 1, 2005
The 'J' stands for 'AAARRGH!'
Enemy line of sight in The Division.

If you move while in cover, the enemy won’t know and will continue shooting at where you were. It doesn’t sound like much but it’s really made me notice how psychic enemies seem to be in most other shooters.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Decided to go back to Mad Maestro on PS2, got as far as I did last time because that game is hard as balls, but at least I know why I keep loving up song number 3 - it's because it starts mixing dynamics. Prior songs in the game are all fairly basic with all the beats in a bar being similar stresses, like all hard presses, all medium etc, but suddenly the thid song right at the end starts throwing increasingly erratic dynamics at you where the beats are like "Medium, strong, Medium, Strong, weak, medium, weak, medium" and it takes my success bar and turns it to a failure bar pretty much instantly. I also love that everything in that game is affected by YOU - if you rush, the song rushes, if you lag, the song lags, if you miss a note entirely the whole thing STOPS DEAD until you press the button. If you press too loud, the orchestra plays too lout and the same with too soft. It really feels like you are conducting. Also there are constant tempo shifts due to it all being classical music. I never even got to the songs that weren't in 4/4 rhythm.

BioEnchanted has a new favorite as of 09:39 on Apr 4, 2021

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

Goss Harag looks too humanoid and it weirds me out, I'm supposed to be playing Monster Hunter not Huge Guy Hunter

This is really bad in Toukiden - half the things you fight are humanoid demons.

Goss Hog is just a yeti though, I can deal with hunting a yeti.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Robert J. Omb posted:

Enemy line of sight in The Division.

If you move while in cover, the enemy won’t know and will continue shooting at where you were. It doesn’t sound like much but it’s really made me notice how psychic enemies seem to be in most other shooters.

Sniper Elite series does this as well. Since the series takes place during WW2, you don't get super long range guns with magical silencers, so stealth is about making sure you're not where the enemy things you are, rather than them never noticing you. It's fun to watch enemy squads pull off a coordinated flanking assaults into the tripwire minefield that you laid out 5 minutes ago before repositioning.

Grunch Worldflower has a new favorite as of 20:13 on Apr 4, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Grunch Worldflower posted:

Sniper Elite series does this as well. Since the series takes place during WW2, you don't get super long range guns with magical silencers, so stealth is about making sure you're not where the enemy things you are, rather than them never noticing you. It's fun to watch enemy squads pull off a coordinated flanking assaults into the tripwire minefield that you laid out 5 minutes ago before repositioning.

Sniper Elite 4 does have the Delisle Carbine, which is basically a magic silent rifle.

Buuuut it’s so quiet because it’s shooting subsonic .45 ACP rounds, so it sucks at long/medium range so you have to be a lot more careful getting into position and making sure every shot is a head/heart shot.

Grunch Worldflower
Nov 16, 2020

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Sniper Elite 4 does have the Delisle Carbine, which is basically a magic silent rifle.

Buuuut it’s so quiet because it’s shooting subsonic .45 ACP rounds, so it sucks at long/medium range so you have to be a lot more careful getting into position and making sure every shot is a head/heart shot.

Yeah, I meant there's no gun that lets you do both, while modern/future set games will give you a deathly silent anti-materiel rifle. Some of the bolt actions have crazy range but are loud enough to be a shot literally heard around the world, and most of the silent guns are super situational and usually not a great pick.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The coolest thing Sniper Elite does is let you use ambient noises as makeshift stealth. There's no way a guy not paying attention in a guard tower 80m away is going to figure out where you're shooting from or what's going on if you blast his buddy from a bush as a squadron of prop-planes does a pass overhead.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

(you can get a trophy for finding out if it's edible)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

he stole my honey!

https://twitter.com/EvilBillMurray/status/1378840850382299138?s=19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

lol at you hitting him after that.

He don't care.