Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poppet
May 13, 2003

Drimble Wedge posted:

We have a CPAP machine which is no longer needed. Are there any charities which will accept a CPAP, clean it, and refurbish it for the needy? We're in Canada (Ontario to be precise). Selling it seems iffy and I'd like to see it get used by someone who needs it. If there's a better place to ask, please let me know.

I think this is lovely of you. Around me (also Ontario) there are only a few doctors who specialize in sleep medicine. Contacting one of them and asking would be a good place to start, I suspect. Alternatively, around London Ontario most CPAP goes through Western ProResp, you might contact them and ask if they have any suggestions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

On the British show Taskmaster, a surprising number of contestants are afraid of balloons or unable to blow them up or just have weird issues with them. What's going on over there?

On their 4th birthday every British child is given a balloon and have to do The Balloon Test.
The results of this test are used to determine your place in the hierarchy and pretty much influence the rest of your life.
Brits are understandably traumatised by this so never talk about it. Stiff upper lips are involved.

Trapick
Apr 17, 2006

Groundskeeper Silly posted:

On the British show Taskmaster, a surprising number of contestants are afraid of balloons or unable to blow them up or just have weird issues with them. What's going on over there?
Honestly if you test the people in your life I bet ~20% of people either can't blow up a balloon and/or have a very strong aversion to them, usually specifically of the loud noise when they pop. It's really surprisingly common.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

I just think the incidence of weirdos and people with brain problems is probably higher amongst comedians and tv personalities than average. You don't become one of them unless you have something to prove or overcome.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm trying to find an old thread, I'm fairly sure it's from SA. It was about the OP starting to breed rabbits for food, and their whole tale of doing so. They documented the whole saga really well, had lots of photographs - I specifically remember the device they used to (humanely) kill the rabbits, was a metal crook that got bolted to a tree. Was really interesting, but I have no idea where it's located, and searching "rabbit" in PI doesn't narrow much down. Can anybody help?

I remember the thread vaguely and remember it was in GWS instead. Don't know what collection of search terms to use to find it again, however.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Johnny Truant posted:

I'm trying to find an old thread, I'm fairly sure it's from SA. It was about the OP starting to breed rabbits for food, and their whole tale of doing so. They documented the whole saga really well, had lots of photographs - I specifically remember the device they used to (humanely) kill the rabbits, was a metal crook that got bolted to a tree. Was really interesting, but I have no idea where it's located, and searching "rabbit" in PI doesn't narrow much down. Can anybody help?
Try asking in this thread, it's specifically meant for finding old SA content and threads and people there might be able to help you better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I'm looking to buy a belt from Leather Goods Connection. My current department-store belt has a simple rectangular trophy buckle of a modern design. Where can I find similar buckles? Searching for trophy buckles just turns up Texas/cowboy-style ones.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cardiovorax posted:

Try asking in this thread, it's specifically meant for finding old SA content and threads and people there might be able to help you better: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701257

Dope, thank you.

breadnsucc
Jun 1, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

breadnsucc fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Aug 21, 2021

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

breadnsucc posted:

Who's this? Found him on the ground, hope he's not cursed.

Pure guesswork, but I think that looks like it could be a pendant depicting the Hawaiian war god Kú: https://www.google.com/search?q=haw...iw=1472&bih=683

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

How does one prepare and adapt to Eco-Fascism should it emerge in the west in the coming decades?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
I'm not a moderator, but these really feel like C-SPAM questions to me. There's a reason why we sequester politics talk to one specific subforum.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Grouchio posted:

How does one prepare and adapt to Eco-Fascism should it emerge in the west in the coming decades?

Kinda answers itself, move to an oil state.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm not a moderator, but these really feel like C-SPAM questions to me. There's a reason why we sequester politics talk to one specific subforum.

Wouldn’t it be better to send them to D&D? I thought CSPAM was for shitposting about politics

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

Wouldn’t it be better to send them to D&D? I thought CSPAM was for shitposting about politics

Uhhh, could be, I stay out of both of those anyways :v:

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

To be clear while I am a mod, I don't go to D&D or CSPAM, and don't actually know what either is. But it's always been my understanding that D&D is for politics/serious discussion about such, and CSPAM is where the trump lol thread lives and dies and shitposts.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

StrixNebulosa posted:

To be clear while I am a mod, I don't go to D&D or CSPAM, and don't actually know what either is. But it's always been my understanding that D&D is for politics/serious discussion about such, and CSPAM is where the trump lol thread lives and dies and shitposts.

I pay vague attention to both forums and as far as I can tell this is accurate.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
are there any “learn to dance” threads?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

nishi koichi posted:

are there any “learn to dance” threads?

There are a couple of dance threads for specific styles deep in the YLLS archives, but it doesn't look like there's anything general or recent. That's probably the best place for a new thread.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
I recently saw some infographics, and even an interactive map about light pollution, stuff like a bortle map and satellite photos of the earth at night showing population centres that glow from all the lights. Are there any of these that compare something like a late evening photo versus a morning, how much does people going to sleep affect light pollution?

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
So um, due to ~reasons~, I haven't picked up my mail in at least a year. (apartment complex refurbished the mailboxes and my key didn't work anymore, and due to depression or some poo poo, I never did the thing to get a new key. still haven't, but need to)

I assume that I would've gotten a few boxes worth of mail or something in that time frame if I actually had still been picking it up. What exactly happened to it? Has USPS been holding onto it somewhere? And how would I go about getting it all? I don't have transportation, so could I get them to deliver it to my apartment or something?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Crankit posted:

I recently saw some infographics, and even an interactive map about light pollution, stuff like a bortle map and satellite photos of the earth at night showing population centres that glow from all the lights. Are there any of these that compare something like a late evening photo versus a morning, how much does people going to sleep affect light pollution?

I have no quantifiable data to back this up, but I would wager that the overwhelming majority of light pollution is from outdoor lights that remain on all night. I have never heard of amateur astronomers noting a difference between light pollution throughout the night, except where the Moon is involved.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ambaire posted:

I assume that I would've gotten a few boxes worth of mail or something in that time frame if I actually had still been picking it up. What exactly happened to it?
I would assume that most of it would have been returned to sender as undeliverable.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

StrixNebulosa posted:

D&D is for liberals, CSPAM is for leftists.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

tuyop posted:

D&D is for liberals, CSPAM is for leftists.

*sheathing my spraypainted silver Model M*

They're both for monsters.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Ambaire posted:

So um, due to ~reasons~, I haven't picked up my mail in at least a year. (apartment complex refurbished the mailboxes and my key didn't work anymore, and due to depression or some poo poo, I never did the thing to get a new key. still haven't, but need to)

I’m a bit surprised an angry postal employee didn’t bang on your door and leave a box of mail for you at some point. That has happened to me! They don’t like having to keep trying to fit the mail in the tiny apartment mailboxes because you are too lazy to pick it up.

Since they didn’t, they must think you moved / were evicted and they are just returning the mail with no forwarding address.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

What can I read or watch to really understand how much the iphone changed technology/phones/that landscape in 2007? I'm watching the Steve Jobs Keynote now, and it's weird and wild how it went from blackberries to... smart phones.

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

My laundry drier started leaving fluffy towels damp after use; other clothes are fine. I disconnected and cleaned the air output hose to make sure there are no clogs. I'm not sure what else I can try. It's a 3 year old Samsung. Suggestions?

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
This is a super goony question, but when it comes to light exercise (I plan on just doing a bit of a walk to and around a nearby park, and it's like 80oF/26oc), is it better to just avoid deodorant/antiperspirant and let you just, you know, sweat like normal? Like, I'm not interested in anything :tinfoil: about how either secretly gives you cancer or whatever, it's mostly just wondering if it's better to frontload my cleaning (using deodorant, etc) , or backload it (skip the stuff, turn into a sweaty mess, shower when I get home).

pokie
Apr 27, 2008

IT HAPPENED!

MisterBibs posted:

This is a super goony question, but when it comes to light exercise (I plan on just doing a bit of a walk to and around a nearby park, and it's like 80oF/26oc), is it better to just avoid deodorant/antiperspirant and let you just, you know, sweat like normal? Like, I'm not interested in anything :tinfoil: about how either secretly gives you cancer or whatever, it's mostly just wondering if it's better to frontload my cleaning (using deodorant, etc) , or backload it (skip the stuff, turn into a sweaty mess, shower when I get home).

From personal experience, it only makes sense to "frontload" if you plan to socialize immediately afterward. Exercise -> shower is the typical pathway.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

MisterBibs posted:

Shower after but always wear deodorant. It's unlikely anyone will ever point out to you that you skipped it, they just won't make plans with you anymore.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

StrixNebulosa posted:

What can I read or watch to really understand how much the iphone changed technology/phones/that landscape in 2007? I'm watching the Steve Jobs Keynote now, and it's weird and wild how it went from blackberries to... smart phones.

Whatever else you get recommended, make sure you read this history of jailbreaking iPhones as well https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xa4ka/iphone-jailbreak-life-death-legacy

It still boggles my mind that the original plan for iPhones was that everyone would have the same ringtone, notification sound, background and lock screen and that Jobs saw this as an essential part of the user experience.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

greazeball posted:

It still boggles my mind that the original plan for iPhones was that everyone would have the same ringtone, notification sound, background and lock screen and that Jobs saw this as an essential part of the user experience.

I do wonder if he knew that wouldn't last but, it was part of establishing the iPhone as a conspicuous consumption icon.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

Is there a list on wikipedia (or anywhere else) of fancy neighborhoods? Like I know that Gold Coast in Chicago or Bel-Air in LA are fancy, but I want to learn about the equivalent places in other cities.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

fancy can mean a lot of different things, but i'd start here:

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/List_of_highest-income_urban_neighborhoods_in_the_United_States

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

greazeball posted:

Whatever else you get recommended, make sure you read this history of jailbreaking iPhones as well https://www.vice.com/en/article/8xa4ka/iphone-jailbreak-life-death-legacy

I don't understand tech dudes but I do understand that iphones are and were revolutionary, and I rather like the one I have. Thanks for the link!

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

I seem to have little moths in my pantry and little spider webby things in my grits and cornmeal. I threw out my grits/cornmeal once before, but apparently that wasn't sufficient. How the heck do I get rid of pantry moths?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.
You don’t.

You just manage them buy buying the attractant sticky traps for the rest of your life, or at least the rest of the time you live at that address.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I seem to have little moths in my pantry and little spider webby things in my grits and cornmeal. I threw out my grits/cornmeal once before, but apparently that wasn't sufficient. How the heck do I get rid of pantry moths?

Would it help to keep these things in glass or plastic containers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Pantry moths are the worst. Here's the basic rundown:

Freeze every grain for a week

Clean up all crumby stuff in all the corners of your pantry etc

Put all grains in containers with threaded lids, or failing that, keep them in the freezer

e: oh also freeze all your spices too. I've seen them nest in friggin crushed red pepper.

alnilam fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Apr 7, 2021