Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Kubrick Movie Multiverse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sethsez
Jul 14, 2006

He's soooo dreamy...

Shageletic posted:

Kubrick Movie Multiverse

The sad thing is Ready Player One already kind of did this.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

I will never watch a multiverse unless it's gamenarger Antigone.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

AceOfFlames posted:

And this is after they decided to cut a scene involving Pepe Le Pew learning about consent. So apparently that’s bad but adding a bunch of actual rapists to your crowd scene is fine.

And also the Warboys who keeps woman as slaves. It would be so easy to add Furiosa instead who both looks visually distinctive and tries to liberate women.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
Warner Bros: "okay okay we hear you, we're gonna have Joss Whedon do the Space Jam cut"

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Alan Smithee posted:

Warner Bros: "okay okay we hear you, we're gonna have Joss Whedon do the Space Jam cut"

Waiting for the new trailer prominently featuring Lola bunny in a black catsuit ninja kicking everyone to show what a strong feminist icon she is.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

enki42 posted:

Waiting for the new trailer prominently featuring Lola bunny in a black catsuit ninja kicking everyone to show what a strong feminist icon she is.

her heaving bosom gets hit by a basketball cuz that's just how it is being a woman in this world

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
The PR response is gonna be interesting because there are so many layers to that inclusion. Presumably they had to arrange for the extras to be in costume and filmed. Someone along the way had to maybe go through a list of WB properties and approve/decline their presence in the film. Why not a hard cutoff for anything over PG-13? And then in the composition process, because I assume all of these individual character groups were shot separately, they had to put them right up front.

Weird and gross.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

Why didn’t they just make a movie about cartoons playing basketball?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

inferis posted:

their DCU failed sorta

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Alan Smithee posted:

their DCU failed sorta

It only made them a lot of money instead of printing money so therefore it’s not good enough

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT
Possibly even worse than including the droogs:

https://twitter.com/Civvie11/status/1378746338741981185?s=19

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Danny DeVito: Into the Danny DeVitoverse.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

RIP Stanley Kubrick, you would have loved Space Jam.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Holy molly wrong thread!

Edit: In my defense there are three threads I follow that are talking about this monstrosity. Got confused heh.

Desperado Bones fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Apr 5, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I don't even know what's going on exactly, but if you can gently caress up the "cartoons play basketball" movie to the point it's confusing and/or controversial, you done hosed up.

Just... WHAT???

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

inferis posted:

I love the terror and bewilderment expressed here.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Who’s that supposed to be in the flying ship?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

I think Peter Potamus

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Potamus

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Apr 5, 2021

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

ruddiger posted:

That Swedish giant dick cartoon guy.

toggle
Nov 7, 2005

Glad the Twitter numptys are on the pulse about this stuff. For shame for a studio to allow this content out there. Glad it was caught early before it’s release so no kids can get affected

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Wow, didn't realise he was a legacy character until today. Legit thought he was just a kooky character to fill out the roster for Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Aces High posted:

Wow, didn't realise he was a legacy character until today. Legit thought he was just a kooky character to fill out the roster for Harvey Birdman: Attorney at Law

I do not think they created any new characters.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Did I miss something? What the gently caress do characters played by multiple people including Danny DeVito have to do with sexual assault?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Vagabundo posted:

Did I miss something? What the gently caress do characters played by multiple people including Danny DeVito have to do with sexual assault?

AFAIK the only objectionable ones are the Clockwork Orange guys, who are sociopathic rapist thugs.

I, Butthole
Jun 30, 2007

Begin the operations of the gas chambers, gas schools, gas universities, gas libraries, gas museums, gas dance halls, and gas threads, etcetera.
I DEMAND IT

Vagabundo posted:

The latest iteration of Peter Potamus as seen in Harvey Birdman is a serial workplace sexual harassment offender, so it's funny that they've put him in but still taken Pepe out

E: not enough people who have watched Harvey Birdman, Attorney at Law here, smh

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
All I remember is him asking if you got that thing he sent ya

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
All is forgiven if we get some Adult Swim cameos.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I, Butthole posted:

The latest iteration of Peter Potamus as seen in Harvey Birdman is a serial workplace sexual harassment offender, so it's funny that they've put him in but still taken Pepe out

I'm pretty sure there is a difference between "A character appeared in a parody cartoon" and "literally the concept of the character."

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I, Butthole posted:

wait is this real

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
It’s an early 200’s satire from back when Adult Swim was running a studio out of Cartoon Network’s basement and they had the rights to every HB character and people could just kinda go crazy with whatever they wanted, and all of them had grown up watching Space Ghost: Coast to Coast, so it was like 6-7 shows using corny 60-70’s cartoons to tell funny stories in a modern setting.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fB2EtkMM2fk

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
While I think discussion of depictions of sexual harassers/assaulters has some place in this thread, please try to not get too sidetracked from the main thread topic of the real world abuses and the culture that perpuates them.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Though that doesn't help now I'm wondering if Bojack Horseman having a hippo character also turn out to be a sexual harasser and rapist is a reference to Harvey Birdman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Speaking of Weinstein, he is appealing his conviction, with his attorneys arguing for a new trial on the basis that "the jury wasn't impartial; the admission of bad acts witnesses was improper; the court erred by denying defense expert testimony; the third-degree rape charge was time-barred; the predatory sexual assault counts were predicated on time-barred allegations; the guilty verdicts were against the weight of evidence; and the sentence was unduly harsh and excessive."

:barf:

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Could he just, die already?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Timby posted:

the guilty verdicts were against the weight of evidence

Is just yelling "nuh-uh" a legitimate appeal basis?

Captain Hotbutt
Aug 18, 2014
The Hollywood Reporter went in-depth re: Joss Whedon and Justice League

Just a messy, iffy situation all around, but here's a choice quote:

quote:

Whedon sent out an email asking for questions, comments or "fulsome praise," but Fisher says it became clear: "All he was looking for was the fulsome praise." Trying to strike a jocular tone, Fisher responded that he mourned the loss of the Cyborg material but was moving on. He said he had notes to avoid issues in terms of representation of the character. But in a call with Whedon, Fisher says he had barely started to talk when the filmmaker cut him off. "It feels like I'm taking notes right now, and I don't like taking notes from anybody — not even Robert Downey Jr.," he said. Other sources on the project say Whedon was similarly dismissive of Gadot and Momoa when they questioned new lines.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

I think my mass effect is broken
Interesting that it specifically mentions him being dismissive of the most prominent POCs and woman in the main cast.

Just an observation, nothing more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Vagabundo posted:

Interesting that it specifically mentions him being dismissive of the most prominent POCs and woman in the main cast.

Just an observation, nothing more.

And several white men who worked with him think he's the nicest man in the world.

Except Nicholas Breden who he bullied so hard he regressed into his alcoholism.