Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

8one6 posted:

Barn doors on a closet are fine. Barn doors on a bedroom or bathroom (I've seen both) are horrible.

Whoever started the trend of sliding/barn doors on hotel room bathrooms can rot in hell forever IMO

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

i like when a hotel bathroom was clearly designed to have a normal door, so when they convert it to a barn door there's a weird empty spot in one corner

this comment is based on the single time i stayed in a hotel room that had one

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Freaquency posted:

Whoever started the trend of sliding/barn doors on hotel room bathrooms can rot in hell forever IMO

I stayed at a hotel once that had both a barn door for the bathroom and also little windows between the bathroom and bedroom that had perfect views of both the toilet and the shower and no way to curtain them off.

Whoever designs hotel rooms has a burning hatred for the sorts of people who stay in hotels.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

8one6 posted:

Barn doors on a closet are fine. Barn doors on a bedroom or bathroom (I've seen both) are horrible.

Yeah, the reason I have them was my roomates added them to their bedroom (the living room) for privacy.

They were, of course useless, especially since the dogs would just come barreling through them.

If they were REALLY excited they'd knock them off the track entirely.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Don't bi-fold doors accomplish the same thing as barn doors? Don't require any wall space either.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Yeah, but they're harder to install, and usually suck even worse.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Liquid cooled for higher efficiency operation.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Found out our basement door is messed. You can get in. If you close the door though it doesn’t open the door at all. The other knob doesn’t pull that little thing in far enough. :lol:

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
I installed a cheap accordion door on my bathroom because there would have been no room whatsoever for a standard door. Works fine (though if I had company over I'd want music going to hide the sounds of pooping), but it hangs about two inches off the floor and the cats like to squeeze underneath it.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

aqueduit

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Apr 4, 2021

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
Dareon, you're the guy in Alaska, right? I still want you to make a thread.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
The sooner barn doors, shiplap, and recovered pallets go out of style the better.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/thebestofzillow/status/1378496929206657024

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

deoju posted:

The sooner barn doors, shiplap, and recovered pallets go out of style the better.

I’m replacing my exterior front door with a sliding barn door made of shiplap from recovered pallets

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

deoju posted:

Also exposed "Edison" lightbulbs.

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs

Arsenic Lupin posted:

oh!

so I was at the Lowe's, and rattling around the light bulb section. and there was a woman there ahead of me.

so she buttonholed an employee and asked about Edison bulbs, so he led her to them, safely in another section. I followed along, bc I was also curious about these magical bulbs.

while he was in the middle of saying "but you have to be careful, because" she dropped the package and it sounded like gunfire, and I realized only at that moment that the Tom and Jerry cartoons from the 40s I'd watched as a child were not in fact exaggerating something in a hilarious cartoon way but just reporting a real fact of using these terrifying light bulbs

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I just ripped out two pendant lights with edison bulbs that the previous boomowners had installed. Felt great.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

Dareon, you're the guy in Alaska, right? I still want you to make a thread.

As soon as I start building (Or sooner, like once I have solid plans I want input on), I'll post one. I have like two more buildings to put up and some interior work planned, but none of it's getting done with ~six feet of snow on the ground.

Computer viking
May 30, 2011
Now with less breakage.

Empty Sandwich posted:

oh!

so I was at the Lowe's, and rattling around the light bulb section. and there was a woman there ahead of me.

so she buttonholed an employee and asked about Edison bulbs, so he led her to them, safely in another section. I followed along, bc I was also curious about these magical bulbs.

while he was in the middle of saying "but you have to be careful, because" she dropped the package and it sounded like gunfire, and I realized only at that moment that the Tom and Jerry cartoons from the 40s I'd watched as a child were not in fact exaggerating something in a hilarious cartoon way but just reporting a real fact of using these terrifying light bulbs

The old cartoon ones were under vacuum, since that's an "easy" way to keep the filament from burning. Later on, we started filling them with noble gases, typically argon; it means the bulb doesn't have to stand up to any real pressure, and it's easier to fill it with a gas than to seal in a vacuum. The aggressive pop in old cartoons was probably vacuum bulbs imploding - if the new ones do the same thing, it kind of suggests they've gone back to vacuum. Which is an odd choice.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Most of the Edison bulbs I’ve seen are actually LED now and just mimic the look of Edison bulbs.

That may be just because I’m in CA and they cant sell incandescents anymore.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

FCKGW posted:

Most of the Edison bulbs I’ve seen are actually LED now and just mimic the look of Edison bulbs.

I just hate the drat things because lampshades were invented for a reason, to soften light. Single-point light sources that are directly in your line of vision are hell.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Edison bulbs are decorative and should be no brighter than 500lm.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I really like exposed Edison bulbs, even the LED fakes.

It's me, I'm the crapper constructor.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

sopranos prequel lookin good

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

FCKGW posted:

California is an embarrassment on the rest of America. We feel your pain :(

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Elviscat posted:

I really like exposed Edison bulbs, even the LED fakes.

It's me, I'm the crapper constructor.

They are very decorative and look neat IMO.

If it's not for everyone that's fine.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

kid sinister posted:

California is an embarrassment on the rest of America. We feel your pain :(

It actually owns. No one should still be using incandescent bulbs anymore.

Local power company gives away free LED bulbs too :)

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

I knew a high school that had carpet around their swimming pool...

EasilyConfused
Nov 21, 2009

one strong toad

FCKGW posted:

:emptyquote:

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Vintersorg posted:

They are very decorative and look neat IMO.

If it's not for everyone that's fine.

They look really nice in vintage lamps and chandeliers. I refinished a 1930s arts deco lamp and considered an Edison, but I eventually chose a frosted LED, since they're better for reading under.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Blistex posted:

They look really nice in vintage lamps and chandeliers. I refinished a 1930s arts deco lamp and considered an Edison, but I eventually chose a frosted LED, since they're better for reading under.

That lamp is gorgeous. Nice work.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

FCKGW posted:

Local power company gives away free LED bulbs too :)
Yeah, gently caress anything but LED for general purpose lighting.

These are special circumstances like oven bulbs where incandescent is really the best option, but those are few and far between.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

wolrah posted:

These are special circumstances like oven bulbs where incandescent is really the best option, but those are few and far between.

I've got oven lights and lava lamps/heat lamps. Other than ye ol farmer trick of shoving one in the well house/chicken coop so nothing freezes, which is replicable with heat tape, I'm not sure I'm coming up with any others.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Anything where you want/need a continuous spectrum? But then, you're getting into pretty esoteric stuff compared to day-to-day usage.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

I’ve got a commercial building that still gets incandescents because my client can’t budget replacing the large banks of dimmers for a conference room. There are high watt broadcast lights in there too, so it’s a pretty inefficient room, really. In the rest of the building I’ve been switching everything else over and it’s great.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

The space-saving I guess would be good in a tiny apartment, but I wouldn't trust the construction for full-grown adults trekking up and down them every day.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
That also violates code on both slope (way too steep) and no railing where stair nosing is beyond 30" AFFL.

Oh, and the 4in test sphere rule regarding riser openings, for that matter.

E: I can't see from this angle but I wouldn't bet on it having acceptable headroom either. Or light switches for the room the stairs are in at both ends of the stairs. Or...

kastein fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Apr 5, 2021

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler
A client has been putting the LED pot lights in her home. There are six lights that string together and then into the DC power source. While I really like them, I would hate to have to tear open a ceiling to replace the power supply if it ever died.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm assuming it's leading up to a bed, so is exempt.