Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wrath of Mordark
Jul 25, 2006

Foster liked his brand new wand!
Fun Shoe
Do you mean the type with the corner tab to pull the plastic film away from the packaging that instead just pulls the corner tab off?

Yeah, gently caress that poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Brawnfire posted:

I will never, NEVER understand how bacon packaging ended up like it is

I don't know if that's local or whatever, if some other happy folk in some other sunny town have invented an actual functional loving bacon package but

christ

I'm pretty sure it's the law

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Post Ironic Cereal posted:

I think I've properly opened a bag of charcoal once and I have no idea how I did it. I have a dumb monkey brain and soft delicate baby hands, which means I have to carry around a utility knife like a dweeb in case I run into any kind of packaging.

It's totally normally to carry around a basic utility knife. Almost all adults do that.

People that claim otherwise are either being goons or pretending to be all that is man and capable of tearing anything because it makes their brain feel good.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I want to carry around a utility knife everywhere but I set them down just anywhere when I use them. I was losing three or more of them a year. So I've just learned to ask the responsible people around me if they can open things for me. Turns out dudes absolutely love to whip out a knife to show off how easy their life is. I have made lifelong friends because I was appropriately impressed with their neato well-maintained knives.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

This cocksuckery

If it's the law, then I'm revolting!

"We already know that!" calls out Statler.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Dip Viscous posted:

It's totally normally to carry around a basic utility knife. Almost all adults do that.

People that claim otherwise are either being goons or pretending to be all that is man and capable of tearing anything because it makes their brain feel good.

what demographics are you hanging out with bc literally the only person i know with a utility knife is my dad

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Killingyouguy! posted:

what demographics are you hanging out with bc literally the only person i know with a utility knife is my dad

Probably dads

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Peeve: I miss imagining oldpainless as the Rock. Also the fact that I still think of the Thanos avatar as "new" after well over a year reminds me of my rapid aging. Like poo poo, didn't the snap happen around when Game of Thrones died in flames?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Killingyouguy! posted:

This is literally a forum full of dads.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

fizzymercury posted:

I want to carry around a utility knife everywhere but I set them down just anywhere when I use them. I was losing three or more of them a year. So I've just learned to ask the responsible people around me if they can open things for me. Turns out dudes absolutely love to whip out a knife to show off how easy their life is. I have made lifelong friends because I was appropriately impressed with their neato well-maintained knives.

I worked at a nearby superstore a while back, so I know where they have a stash of them hidden on the floor. I just loot one whenever I need one.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
In this conversation does “utility knife” mean a small knife meant to be used for a variety of tasks, or the specific bladed tool often also called a “box cutter” or if you’re old a “Stanley knife”?

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

or if you’re old a “Stanley knife”?

I feel needlessly attacked.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

In this conversation does “utility knife” mean a small knife meant to be used for a variety of tasks, or the specific bladed tool often also called a “box cutter” or if you’re old a “Stanley knife”?
I was referring to both, actually. I wish I always had a Stanley knife about my person but I never will so I ask the dude that has a dedicated pocket for his small knives. Down here it's usually a $240 Leatherman with a handmade leather holster.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Either/both. My ancient grandmother keeps something similar to this on her keyring. It's attached to keys so it can't really be set down and lost unless you're also prone to losing keys.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I consider carrying a utility knife, big folding knife or multitool to be extremely common and standard, but I'm also an engineer who works closely with the "run cables in server room" IT guys and I do sound/lights volunteer work for a student musical theatre thing, so the people I hang with are maybe not entirely representative.

Bomrek
Oct 9, 2012
I carry a knife just like everyone else i know, but also I live in montana lol

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I carry a tactical knork in my loadout

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
All this knife talk has made me want to get a Swiss army knife for my key ring like I used to have when I was a kid, but I'm hesitant because a) I have a two year old and she might use it for nefarious purposes, and b) it's quite dorky.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Good to see Myrtar is still posting

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Like I said before, pretending that it's dorky is a completely made up goon notion. Put a tiny Swiss Army Knife on your keyring and enjoy being able to open packages and trim loose threads off your shirt.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
The least dorky thing you can do is be a useful and prepared person. It's just so wonderful and refreshing. I'd kill to have the ability to do it.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It is, however, dorky to hold up the line at airport security because you're making too big a deal about surrendering your keyring knife so please don't be that guy

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

This is why I have a hat with a razor-sharp carbon edge

Have a good day sir, I'll just walk on thru security HYA-CHA, snicker-snack motherfucker! I just took your fool head off! The plane is mine, now!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
a plain old pocket knife or box cutter is not inherently dorky at all, but those credit card sized steel multitools are very dorky no matter who is carrying them

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Anyone who refers to it as their everyday carry is wrong and insufferable. A good multitool is something I carry every day, but it's not part of my "EDC" or whatever, it's just a useful tool.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Killingyouguy! posted:

It is, however, dorky to hold up the line at airport security because you're making too big a deal about surrendering your keyring knife so please don't be that guy

They took my TSA-approved key ring multitool once :argh: didn’t bother arguing beyond saying the TSA site says it’s fine because you’re not winning that argument

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Bobby Digital posted:

They took my TSA-approved key ring multitool once :argh: didn’t bother arguing beyond saying the TSA site says it’s fine because you’re not winning that argument

But are you familiar with The Mexican Sacatripe? (I'm so un-white that even my watch gets confiscated with every plane boarding and they act like they just stopped the next shoebomber every single time just because they stole my $5 Casio.)

Phosphine posted:

Anyone who refers to it as their everyday carry is wrong and insufferable. A good multitool is something I carry every day, but it's not part of my "EDC" or whatever, it's just a useful tool.

I agree with this. 20 years ago EDC just meant what it said and was a nice way to find blog posts where people talked about cool pens their grandfather gave them. Now everyone has latched onto it in the marketing term form and it's an assload of butt.

Dip Viscous has a new favorite as of 20:50 on Apr 2, 2021

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
"You don't need to lose weight, you're thin as hell!"

Yeah, I mean, I'm what they call skinny fat, and you'd agree if you saw my rear end (and various other parts) naked. Don't roll your eyes at me for trying to lowkey get into better shape.

Oh and while I'm at it, I wish device instructions would just have a small paragraph for even the simplest of connections. Drop the warnings about "you need to use this special charging cord or the universe will implode into the shape of a walnut" or whatever, fine, but at least say "the charging port is a USB-C connector" so I can use one of the 734,32,401 cords I have lying about without playing the guess-which-fits game.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 03:23 on Apr 4, 2021

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Everyone should carry a poop knife

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.
A knife for poop or knife of poop?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i hate how just browsing the internet feels like you're under siege all the time nowadays. i just open nearly everything in private browsing tabs by default if it's a one time search, both to avoid some of the trackers and so that youtube or whatever doesn't give me soyface videos about some topic that i happened to search for once. having to use adblockers and script killers to just normally access a website without bullshit, being bombarded with "use the app" prompts, having to jimmy rig my way around paywalls to just read the news from a reputable source, desktop versions of messenger apps being a pain in the rear end to use, etc, it just gets worse and worse

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Dip Viscous posted:

People used to always carry a pocket knife. Once schools started banning anything more dangerous than a napkin, people stopped. I always carry a knife and I seem always to be the only one. I'll give people a knife to carry and they won't carry it. I'll be at work and people are using their keys to open boxes even though I gave them a knife.

When I was in HS in the 90's, all kids carried a pocket knife. No-one got hurt. Then, after I graduated, the rules changed and kids would be expelled for having nail clippers.

Now, no one has a knife.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

mostlygray posted:

Then, after I graduated, the rules changed and kids would be expelled for having nail clippers.

Ah yes, the most dangerous thing in school: The fear of getting a manicure.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Ah yes, the most dangerous thing in school: The fear of getting a manicure.

Nailed it

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

mostlygray posted:

I always carry a knife and I seem always to be the only one. I'll give people a knife to carry and they won't carry it. I'll be at work and people are using their keys to open boxes even though I gave them a knife.

I've had people ask me to if they can borrow a knife, take the knife, open a blister pack, hand the knife back, THEN freak out and go "WHY DO YOU HAVE A KNIFE???" You... literally just demonstrated why.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

I always carry a claymore incase I need to cleave any foes in twain

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Technically I'm not supposed to be carrying my knife, I never got my Totin' Chip card back after carving too close to Ian

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

*attempts to cut corner off totin' chip, cuts hell out of self*

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

It's annoying enough that I have to have a video meeting just to spend nearly an hour going over what I could in an email.
But my annoyance over having to wake up early for it has gotten massively overshadowed by the building's janitor going 'oh yeah we cut the water 5 min ago, and it'll be gone for 2 hours.' with zero warning or heads up before.

On the first day of work after a long weekend, right in the period where a lot of people might be getting up or ready for work. (8-10)
" We're sorry for the inconvenience this could bring. " gently caress off, you're the cause of it. You said it was just maintenance, so plan around it and give us a heads up ahead of time like you're supposed to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

SubNat posted:

It's annoying enough that I have to have a video meeting just to spend nearly an hour going over what I could in an email.

The last couple of weeks, we've had some issues with importing some customer data, so instead of doing the email thing which works just fine, they insisted on Zoom meetings about it. On top of that they're in central time and we're in east coast time, so they like to schedule meetings right before my lunch and quitting times.

In the end it turned out that one of their people wasn't exporting the data, and just sending us the native files, which was not compatible with our software.