Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

Roflex posted:

It's more like I feel like I'm missing some controls or something, I've dug out a hole and chopped some trees and scavenged some plants, but don't know what else to do.

press tab

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together

Roflex posted:

It's more like I feel like I'm missing some controls or something, I've dug out a hole and chopped some trees and scavenged some plants, but don't know what else to do.

Make sure that theres a heat source (a campfire will do for now), some food stocked in a chest and that your NPCs have a clear path to both.

If they do, then its our bad - NPC AI is next on our to do list because currently theyre extremely stupid and will glitch out and happily stand there while starving and freezing to death.

Ventral EggSac
Dec 3, 2019

Last night one of my guys had a countdown over him so picked him up and chucked him at a bed, then ate baked potatoes in front of him till he passed away.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I made a bunch of iron beds (because the pattern for the sandstone one, which I had a billion of, didn’t seem to work), and they seemed to find them and sleep. I also cooked 100 baked potatoes and handed them out to my troops, who made a satisfying CRUNCH sound as they immediately ate one. However I would like to file a bug, because I didn’t burn the space potatoes. They should’ve been soft, not crunchy. Thank you.

.random
May 7, 2007

Bad Purchase posted:

I made a bunch of iron beds (because the pattern for the sandstone one, which I had a billion of, didn’t seem to work), and they seemed to find them and sleep. I also cooked 100 baked potatoes and handed them out to my troops, who made a satisfying CRUNCH sound as they immediately ate one. However I would like to file a bug, because I didn’t burn the space potatoes. They should’ve been soft, not crunchy. Thank you.

In-game lore dictates that potatoes in space are VERY HARD. The crunch you hear isn’t from the potato but is actually the sound of their teeth crumbling as your dumb colonists try to bite into it.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

They should be called space tubers then. Everyone knows a baked potato is soft. But nobody can argue about a tuber. We all have a vague idea of what a tuber is, but can't quite nail down the specifics. If someone handed me a tuber and it broke my teeth, I would have nobody to blame but myself.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Colonists only enjoy baked potatoes if they're charred inside out.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales
This looks really cool... I wish-listed, followed, and requested access to the playtest... I also read to the very end of this thread and since no one has asked, is there a reference to Goatse anywhere in the game or no?

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

Roflex posted:

:same:

Rhopunzel posted:

Make sure that theres a heat source (a campfire will do for now), some food stocked in a chest and that your NPCs have a clear path to both.

If they do, then its our bad - NPC AI is next on our to do list because currently theyre extremely stupid and will glitch out and happily stand there while starving and freezing to death.

So, I'm brand new to these sort of games. I could not for the life of me figure out how to use the work bench? I've been harvesting like mad, and trying to trick the NPCs into continue following me. I love digging around and making caves.

But, I'm currently lost

can someone break it down like you would for an idiot? (i'm an idiot)

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Wamdoodle posted:

finally Stadia will have its killer app

stadia doesn't need a killer anything, it already died

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

Whybird posted:

Where's a good place to drop bug reports, feedback, and feature requests?

Here's the general feedback form. I would be obliged if everyone who tried it filled it out:

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScSfxSzoQhVvBYshopsYKfVY4u0awFDk8MrIfk5K4TvYiaRYw/viewform

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

blight rhino posted:

:same:

So, I'm brand new to these sort of games. I could not for the life of me figure out how to use the work bench? I've been harvesting like mad, and trying to trick the NPCs into continue following me. I love digging around and making caves.

But, I'm currently lost

can someone break it down like you would for an idiot? (i'm an idiot)

Sure. Once you have ample raw material like you do - create a crafting bench and place it. Once it's placed "PRESS TAB" in order to hand craft an item. Our dev decided that Pressing E on a bench would make you place a work order (for an NPC to create it for you, ostensibly) and that Pressing Tab would allow you to handcraft an item for yourself.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tempus Thales posted:

This looks really cool... I wish-listed, followed, and requested access to the playtest... I also read to the very end of this thread and since no one has asked, is there a reference to Goatse anywhere in the game or no?

Not yet!!!!!!

But I think we'll figure that one out...

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Tempus Thales posted:

Separately, it would be extremely funny if we had an enormous, barkley shutup and jam style data log on an in-game computer of endless, scrolling text of you trying to convince goons that the GCN thing isn't hacked

Seth Pecksniff
May 27, 2004

can't believe shrek is fucking dead. rip to a real one.
Yeah boiiiiiiii just showed up in my steam library

I am HYPE

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

its my library, but I can't install it on my laptop because linux :qq:

guess I can't play till I install it on my lunch

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Glad to see goons are getting their requests approved quickly so we can get criticized faster.

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Glad to see goons are getting their requests approved quickly so we can get criticized faster.

Ive been enjoying it even though im terrible with keyboard controls

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

HugeGrossBurrito posted:

Ive been enjoying it even though im terrible with keyboard controls

If you'd like HGB I'd be happy to rope you into internal tests too. We do them on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7pm EST

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

my first note on launching is that I like the fact that it launches as a window, but the fact that its fixed size means its not very large on a 4k screen

and when I fullscreened it I lost the mouse

HugeGrossBurrito
Mar 20, 2018

Ben Quebec posted:

If you'd like HGB I'd be happy to rope you into internal tests too. We do them on Tuesdays and Thursdays 7pm EST

would love to!

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.
Are the maps endless or does the planet loop around? I’ve been running in one direction fir a good 10k tiles so far; long way back.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
Upcoming changes:

Steam ID will show Outworlder Playtest
Bleeding affliction disabled until we figure out a better way to display it
NPC afflictions show on tooltip
Switch to D3D11
Improvements to weapon animation and physics

Coming soon:

Automatic port forwarding
Planet temperature will be increased so you no longer freeze to death. In future, temperature will reflect your surroundings more accurately. IE it will only be freezing if theres snow and ice everywhere

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Valtonen posted:

Are the maps endless or does the planet loop around? I’ve been running in one direction fir a good 10k tiles so far; long way back.

It's currently endless. But I think wrap around is the route we'll get to eventually.

Tempus Thales
May 11, 2012

Artwork by Tempus Thales

Ben Quebec posted:

Separately, it would be extremely funny if we had an enormous, barkley shutup and jam style data log on an in-game computer of endless, scrolling text of you trying to convince goons that the GCN thing isn't hacked

You mean GDN... I think that would be hilarious... even if you spoof it... lol

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

How do you get the researcher without admin commands? Is it just random chance? Also are liquids in yet?

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Valtonen posted:

How do you get the researcher without admin commands? Is it just random chance? Also are liquids in yet?

Yeah, there will be crash landings or colonists that spawn near you over time with a chance of one being a scientist. You also need an armorer to craft weapons.

We have it built in rn that if colonists run into convenient "accidents" they'll be replaced by further spawns so you can game that.

Failing that, the debug menu can force spawn a scientist for you.

Eventually we're going to figure out ways you can better get the right colonists you need.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

Yeah, there will be crash landings or colonists that spawn near you over time with a chance of one being a scientist. You also need an armorer to craft weapons.

We have it built in rn that if colonists run into convenient "accidents" they'll be replaced by further spawns so you can game that.

Failing that, the debug menu can force spawn a scientist for you.

Eventually we're going to figure out ways you can better get the right colonists you need.

Is there max amount of natural spawns currently or is it just X time until another one spawns?

Edit* I like the game so far!

Onkel Hedwig
Jun 27, 2007

I signed up. How long do you usually need to approve this?

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Onkel Hedwig posted:

I signed up. How long do you usually need to approve this?

Steam Playtest is weird in that it approves in batches / waves. I have to look into the details but I'm sure we could do another push soon-ish.

pop fly to McGillicutty
Feb 2, 2004

A peckish little mouse!
Lol I can't read

pop fly to McGillicutty fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

DJ_AIRHORN.WAV

New build is out, friends. See below for changelog:

BUILD UPDATE

Fixed Steam App ID not being set to Outworlder Playtest
Switch to D3D11 as the main graphics API on Windows
Increased minimum temperature from -15 to 10C, preventing hypothermia from ever kicking in
Improved surface biome generation somewhat; fixed excessive canyon biome
Fixed issue with intro message that caused MP Versus mode to no longer start
Possibly fixed the backwards flying birds?
Fixed issue that caused infinite crafting jobs to continue crafting after ingredients are depleted
Added buttons to open the playtest feedback and bug report forms in main menu
Fixed issue where game would sometimes freeze and become unresponsive when you die
NPC status tooltip now shows the list of afflictions currently affecting a character (Hunger, Bleeding, etc.)
Bird/wildlife HP adjusted so they’ll die from a reasonable amount of gunshots
Crash pods now have more than one sprite to choose from.
Improvements to weapon clip animations and physics
Alien blocks renamed to not include the word Alien
Alien blocks now make slimy sounds
Temporarily disabled Bleeding affliction from being given to players/NPCs by enemies like Beast and Predator until never-ending bleeding issue is resolved

Bolded what I like.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Im in, and extremely powerful so you better watch out

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Dandywalken posted:

Im in, and extremely powerful so you better watch out

Oh gently caress

Please put that in the FEEDBACK FORM, please. So that I know that its you and BOLD it.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
A Rimworld + Terraria chimera game sounds right up my alley. Signed up to help test and will be an instabuy from me in all likelihood.

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Loving it so far. I figured out how to make stairs, and my NPC pals started butchering space boars and making stuff. I dig the Dwarf Fortress-style automation

Now, if can we dig deep enough to pump magma to the surface for metalworking... that would be :krad:

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable

Put that poo poo in the feedback, pls. It goes a long way with a publisher which ostensibly makes or breaks whether or not we get to make the game we want versus the game we get to make.

ITS ALL ABOUT THE MONEY

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Totally on it!!

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Ben Quebec posted:

Sure. Once you have ample raw material like you do - create a crafting bench and place it. Once it's placed "PRESS TAB" in order to hand craft an item. Our dev decided that Pressing E on a bench would make you place a work order (for an NPC to create it for you, ostensibly) and that Pressing Tab would allow you to handcraft an item for yourself.

This should all be on one screen. I couldn't figure out wtf I was doing.

Can you make doors?
If you select a colony member, how do you de-select them? The UI for that takes up A LOT of screen real estate.

The proposed game is EXACTLY what I want from a survival game. I hope you guys keep going!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Two questions:

1: Do you have room for another volunteer?

2: Can you customize the controls? 'Cos I'm used to using E for everything, and I'd like to switch the Tab and E functions mentioned above.