Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Eat your hamburgers, Apollo.
Pillbug

Klyith posted:

(Also the Send To shortcuts are in %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo if you'd like to delete crap like Fax or email, or potentially add something useful.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

quote:

Why does it matter?
Well because for the last several hundred years (yes I'm old) my temp folder has always been clean/empty, 99% of the time, and now Windows is doing or maybe trying to do something, which I don't like, maybe there's some kind of "queue" or print job that it's trying to do, but wont or can't. A "Debug" log usually indicates there's some kind of problem(needs debugging).

quote:

Settings -> Apps -> Optional Features -> Windows Fax and Scan -> uninstall
I don't have anything like that in mine, nothing under Print related stuff either.

That "Send To" stuff in is good to know though, thanks!

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Im_Special posted:

I don't have anything like that in mine, nothing under Print related stuff either.

You have a very old version of Windows 10, then. Update. But also, you can uninstall Fax and scan through the Control Panel, Programs and features, Turn Windows features on or off

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

redeyes posted:

Whoa boy thats a lot of armchair nerding up there.

Removes Defender, firewall, edge, internet explorer, windows update, etc etc. There are really no things left except the mandatory controls you need to configure windows. Even some of those are gone.
I did try and reload edge (business version) which loads fine but will not resolve any websites.

Computer idles at 0% cpu usage now with no processes doing anything extra over about 30 mins. DPC latency is below 100 on a poo poo laptop and around 3-5 on a proper desktop system with C states turned off.

In case anyone cares I am building single usage computers, say a media center, DAW, etc. This is ideal for these kind of things. Obviously this isn't for mom and pop types, or really anything normal.

This is so loving dumb. Why would you want a Windows device connected to your network that doesn't have a firewall, let alone Windows Update? This is some serious grognard poo poo and it's embarrassing.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
Lipstick Apathy
yeah just install loving linux dude, it's fine

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Redeyes already has linux installed, it was part of the build process.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

Internet Explorer posted:

This is so loving dumb. Why would you want a Windows device connected to your network that doesn't have a firewall, let alone Windows Update? This is some serious grognard poo poo and it's embarrassing.

Sorry I thought it would be interesting for people in this thread. Guess not.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

redeyes posted:

Interesting as found in the phrase "May you live in interesting times."

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.

Fame Douglas posted:

You have a very old version of Windows 10, then. Update. But also, you can uninstall Fax and scan through the Control Panel, Programs and features, Turn Windows features on or off
It's not that old... (unless you're talking hardware, then yeah probably a bit)

And cannot uninstall something that is not there... :shrug:

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Im_Special posted:

And cannot uninstall something that is not there... :shrug:

Not in the old one, in the new one.

Im_Special posted:

A "Debug" log usually indicates there's some kind of problem(needs debugging).

No, debug log files do not mean that. They mean that something might might have bugs, but you don't know until it fucks up and so you make a log to know why in the future. Every program that uses the MS installer service leaves log files on your PC.

Also if your temp folder is empty 99% of the time you must not do a lot. Lots of things, and some basic windows components, leave crap in temp.

Anything in temp can be auto-cleaned by Disk Cleanup. If you are low on disk space (or just OCD) I recommend using disk cleanup rather than running around looking for stuff to delete by hand. Especially if you need disk space, as there are probably a lot more GB you could recover there.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

redeyes posted:

It is, just not in the way you think.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Khablam posted:

It's not a measure of audio quality, especially not for a "media centre".

I was confused as gently caress as to why and how someone could be so incredibly stupid with their PC and then you posted this and it was like a lightbulb moment. Of course, he's an audiophile.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

Im_Special posted:

Well because for the last several hundred years (yes I'm old) my temp folder has always been clean/empty, 99% of the time, and now Windows is doing or maybe trying to do something, which I don't like, maybe there's some kind of "queue" or print job that it's trying to do, but wont or can't. A "Debug" log usually indicates there's some kind of problem(needs debugging).

A debug log is created so that if there is a problem, there’s information that can help you debug it. It is in no way an indication that there is already a problem and the file was created to help you debug it.

Are you the same person who spent a lot of time making sure that their event log had no error or warning entries in it? It seems that you’re spending more time ensuring that you have a “perfectly” functioning PC instead of actually using it to do useful things.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Falcon2001 posted:

Let's take a step back here now that we've resulted to insults: I'm not saying people are dumb for this, I'm just literally curious about the user patterns which is why I asked.

I fully admit to being a bit of a grognard so take it with a grain of salt, but since you asked I vastly prefer this:

(OpenShell)

to this:

I just like having it where you can see everything at once instead of having to scroll forever like in the stock Win10 start menu. I can go right to a control panel item without even opening the actual control panel. Also there's a lot of times where I am looking for a program, but I literally don't know the name of the program, so being able to see everything at once is a lot faster.

And it's not like the stock Win10 start menu is completely gone, either. If I ever want to use it, I just press shift+win and it pops up.

Also chalk me up as one of those people who has varied results in the stock Win10 start menu's search function. When I want to turn on "Night light", I type in "night" and press enter and it's literally a 50/50 crapshoot as to whether it opens Night Light or Peggle Nights.

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 5, 2021

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Im_Special posted:

Back when hard drives were measured in the tens of megabytes, sure. This level of concern over every cluster on the disk might have been warranted. But now with disks many orders of magnitude larger, that much concern over an empty file is really unwarranted.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
I use desktop icons AND quick launch shortcuts :smugdog:

pins are okay I guess but clicking a pin while the program is open doesn't open a second instance and pins in Win10 take more taskbar real estate than a quick launch shortcut. since I am single monitor gang I'm minmaxing my pixels

barnold fucked around with this message at 13:58 on Apr 5, 2021

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

I fully admit to being a bit of a grognard so take it with a grain of salt, but since you asked I vastly prefer this:

to this:

Yeah, I don't think anybody with prior Windows experience enjoys dealing with the control panel these days. The obfuscation is intentional though, so I don't think its going away anytime soon.

Sidenote: anybody constructing a machine that only operates as a media center should seriously consider just rolling with some flavour of Linux instead of skeletonized windows and if its concerns about latency for audio production, Macbooks are basically the industry standard these days.

Fruits of the sea fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Apr 5, 2021

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Learning where everything is in the new control panel is annoying but it'll get easier over time, it's the fact that you can't open different sections of the Settings app in multiple windows that's frustrating. Trying to troubleshoot a network printer or something and you're just jumping back and forth between three different sections in the single window.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

isndl posted:

Learning where everything is in the new control panel is annoying but it'll get easier over time

The search box inside Settings is really quite good. Even if start search sucks for you, the one in settings is way more accurate.

isndl posted:

it's the fact that you can't open different sections of the Settings app in multiple windows that's frustrating. Trying to troubleshoot a network printer or something and you're just jumping back and forth between three different sections in the single window.

Ew, you're right. I haven't had a situation like that yet, so I'd never thought about just how annoying that will be.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I feel like the new Settings / Control panel would have been fine if Microsoft didn't stretch the transition out over 5+ years. How it has taken them so long, I will never know. There's still a lot that's only in classic Control Panel and there are a lot of new Settings pages that still don't have feature parity with the classic Control panel. Just seems pretty crazy to me.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

barnold posted:

I use desktop icons AND quick launch shortcuts :smugdog:

pins are okay I guess but clicking a pin while the program is open doesn't open a second instance and pins in Win10 take more taskbar real estate than a quick launch shortcut. since I am single monitor gang I'm minmaxing my pixels

R-click, click the program name again. It is a bit awkward and does require a bit of finesse... wonder if some

literally just discovered that in Win10, shift-clicking a taskbar pin of an active program opens another instance of that program. holy gently caress

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Ambaire posted:

R-click, click the program name again. It is a bit awkward and does require a bit of finesse... wonder if some

literally just discovered that in Win10, shift-clicking a taskbar pin of an active program opens another instance of that program. holy gently caress

Or mouse middle click.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

Fruits of the sea posted:

Sidenote: anybody constructing a machine that only operates as a media center should seriously consider just rolling with some flavour of Linux instead of skeletonized windows and if its concerns about latency for audio production, Macbooks are basically the industry standard these days.

Fully agree with this, by the way. If you want a really stripped down machine, that's...basically the value prop of Linux. I'm a windows user through and through but my VM / docker homelab stuff are all running on linux, and it's not to save some cash on the licenses (although sure, yeah that's nice too). Anyone smart enough to go through all the trouble that the dude did to strip windows down to vulnerability levels is smart enough to run linux.

Kodi comes as a whole linux distro now with LibreELEC. RetroPie or other architectures let you roll an emulator rig pretty quickly. My personal living room PC is windows because I have a proper graphics card in there and want to play windows games on it and use LaunchBox, etc, but if you're worrying about the difference between 0 and 3% idle CPU usage, your rig probably isn't powerful enough to be worrying about AAA gaming anyway (and if you DO want it, gaming on Linux continues to be possible, lots of folks game on Linux as a primary platform).

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE

Klyith posted:

The search box inside Settings is really quite good. Even if start search sucks for you, the one in settings is way more accurate.

Yeah the settings search generally works, my problem with it is not knowing what Microsoft is now calling the thing I'm looking for (or if it's not showing up because it's one of the things that hasn't been ported over yet).

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

I feel like the new Settings / Control panel would have been fine if Microsoft didn't stretch the transition out over 5+ years. How it has taken them so long, I will never know. There's still a lot that's only in classic Control Panel and there are a lot of new Settings pages that still don't have feature parity with the classic Control panel. Just seems pretty crazy to me.

Is there any reason they're even doing this? I kinda understood it in the Windows 8 days when they were trying to hone in on the iPad's market share, but I think tablet PCs that require an interface like Metro were pretty much fads like netbooks and 3-d televisions.

I don't know of a single person at my job that uses the touch screen.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

isndl posted:

Yeah the settings search generally works, my problem with it is not knowing what Microsoft is now calling the thing I'm looking for (or if it's not showing up because it's one of the things that hasn't been ported over yet).

then search from start menu. It searches also classic control panel and descriptions of settings.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003
I'd trade it all for just a little more.

While I totally understand the dogpile on that stripped down windows thing, it also feels pretty silly making a *dramatic gasp* over someone's weirdo home media center having the software firewall disabled.

Every 2 weeks we find out the #1 deployed enterprise solution for *random business concern* has a new patch to mitigate a vulnerability that goes back 3 versions/8 years and is being actively exploited by *sinister country* but as soon as Joe Bob's microsoft made firewall is no longer blocking access to microsoft's made operating system on a network that's accidentally double natted, the AUDACITY!

Like, I definitely keep the windows firewall on... but I've also come to terms with the fact that if the commies do manage to break into my fortress of solitude and steal my itunes library, it will be because they got cloud access via my ubiquiti account or something.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
How do I make the Win10 task manager actually instantly kill tasks and not just sometimes do nothing for seeming ages? I just tried to end an 'app' and despite 3 repeated clicks, the process was still going for some reason. Launched Process Explorer and it killed the thing instantly.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Ambaire posted:

How do I make the Win10 task manager actually instantly kill tasks and not just sometimes do nothing for seeming ages? I just tried to end a task and despite 3 repeated clicks, the process was still going for some reason. Launched Process Explorer and it killed the task instantly.

Make sure you're drilling all the way down to the actual process. They've done some merging of apps\processes. You need to expand the tree and right click the actual process. Also, make sure the run as administrator or however they word it in the bottom isn't available. My pc doesn't do it, but i know some settings or versions will run task manager with limited privilege's until you escalate.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

bobua posted:

Make sure you're drilling all the way down to the actual process. They've done some merging of apps\processes. You need to expand the tree and right click the actual process. Also, make sure the run as administrator or however they word it in the bottom isn't available. My pc doesn't do it, but i know some settings or versions will run task manager with limited privilege's until you escalate.

It was the only running instance of a game. If r-clicking the 'tree' top and clicking end task doesn't end that task, then something is seriously hosed up with the Win10 task manager.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

bobua posted:

Like, I definitely keep the windows firewall on... but I've also come to terms with the fact that if the commies do manage to break into my fortress of solitude and steal my itunes library, it will be because they got cloud access via my ubiquiti account or something.
I'm less worried about communists stealing the music I don't own and more worried about dropping packets in Call of Duty because the botnet I'm hosted started up a DDOS.

Falcon2001
Oct 10, 2004

Pillbug

bobua posted:

While I totally understand the dogpile on that stripped down windows thing, it also feels pretty silly making a *dramatic gasp* over someone's weirdo home media center having the software firewall disabled.

Every 2 weeks we find out the #1 deployed enterprise solution for *random business concern* has a new patch to mitigate a vulnerability that goes back 3 versions/8 years and is being actively exploited by *sinister country* but as soon as Joe Bob's microsoft made firewall is no longer blocking access to microsoft's made operating system on a network that's accidentally double natted, the AUDACITY!

I mean for what it's worth I also yell at people in professional environments for doing dumb poo poo and if someone posted in the sysadmin thread that they were doing something like that they'd also get roasted.

bobua
Mar 23, 2003

Falcon2001 posted:

I mean for what it's worth I also yell at people in professional environments for doing dumb poo poo and if someone posted in the sysadmin thread that they were doing something like that they'd also get roasted.

Roast away.

Just pointing out the comedy of the situation IT security in the modern age has us in.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

tbh it was more like "even the firewall heh" as people were looking it up and seeing just how insanely hobbled it was.
It's just not worth thinking about whether it's on or not which makes nuking it funny.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Anyone ever having to manually add exclusions to defender?

I never did, but yesterday it decided to always scan my Unity compilations, making them go from 2 minutes to over 20.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Mr Shiny Pants posted:

Anyone ever having to manually add exclusions to defender?

I never did, but yesterday it decided to always scan my Unity compilations, making them go from 2 minutes to over 20.

Yeah usually for private server game launchers that trip it up. That's a good tip about Unity compiles though, I'm sure I'll run into that eventually.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012
Well I never had this problem to be honest, yesterday we were doing some builds ( Android and desktop ) and they would take over 20 minutes. I just clocked it with Defender off at 36 seconds.......

With Defender on for the same project it takes 110 seconds, no changes to the project. Just building.

The Android projects builds in 156 seconds after switching targets. This took about 15 minutes yesterday....
Adding Unity.exe to the exclusions list: 280 seconds.
Turning it off again, no changes to the project just building an Android build: 132 seconds.
Defender on, no exclusions: 282 seconds.
Can't explain why it took that long yesterday, 282 is long shot from 2000 seconds.

I am almost tempted to switch the compression back to a different setting and letting it reimport everything that will take a good 10 - 20 minutes. I am wondering if having Defender off will change this.

Why would it need to scan everything it has already scanned? And scanning stuff that a signed executable is running? I thought that was the point of having signed executables. Or is this some Solarwinds stuff? Now it just scans everything because signed executables don't actually do anything anymore.

So even when switching build targets inside the editor it decides to scan everything again. It got to a point it was getting so slow I was tempted to build a VM that did nothing else but Android builds just so I didn't have to switch builds. Now it is like 10 seconds.
All that loving time waiting.........

These must be safest files on the planet from the amount of times they get scanned..........

Edit: With full exclusions: Unity install folder, project folder and build target it takes 130 seconds. That is about the time I got with it turned off. It still thinks it needs to get between shader compilations it seems, but this will do for now.

Mr Shiny Pants fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 6, 2021

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Not sure if this question is more for this thread or the hardware one, but: I still use the Win7 Backup and Restore tool rather than Win10's File History, and the latest full backup took 50% longer than usual despite using the same hardware and the amount of data being pretty much the same as always, is that something to be concerned about or can I just shrug it off as an anomaly? I wasn't doing anything taxing while it was happening. It'll probably be another six months or so before it decides to do another full one (as it'll now switch to doing incremental ones for the forseeable future) so it's not a big deal, but I found it a little weird.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

I didn't expect them to do it quickly, but they've come in way under my low expectations. Stunningly incompetent. It's also, as several people have said, a poor design for a desktop interface.

HalloKitty fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Apr 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
I think that Windows 7 is still the gold standard for OS usability and they never should've changed what Just Worked.