Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Guys I have extremely bad news

https://twitter.com/everestpipkin/status/1378395912737861644?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
After the new movie has been out for a bit past their marketing window or whatever they should revert the main page back to classic SJ and have the portal to the new site be a satellite icon way off to the side

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
This is cultural genocide

Mods?????

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Don't worry, it's still up: https://www.spacejam.com/1996/

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

FlamingLiberal posted:

I guess this confirms the leaks that the movie was Ready Player One but for Space Jam
Ready Player Jam.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
C’mon and open palm slam a VHS into the slot.

Welcome to the Riddick Jam.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Wow, I can't believe that Scooby Doo is crossing over with another brand.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Imagine making a Space Jam 2 set in the internet, and not naming the movie Cyberspace Jam

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Space Jam Breaks the Internet

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
I don’t think there’s a better summary of where feminism is in culture right now than that they removed scenes containing Pepe Le Pew from the film but left the Droogs from A Clockwork Orange in.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Cael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o

Jesus christ, this looks like a cross between Ready Player One and Detective Pikachu in all the worst ways. I did not need to think about "real" CGI versions of the toons.

ALSO RYAN COOGLER IS A PRODUCER ON THIS!!??

Ryan Coogler's early career is starting to look almost as misleading as Duncan Jones or Alex Proyas.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Space Jam 2 would be a lot more novel if they didn't already do the same thing with The Lego Movie a few years ago.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Remulak posted:

Warner trying to increase visibility of their catalog and IP is pretty smart, it’s been Disney’s game plan all long.

No interest in the movie, which is something I rarely say given that I loving love going to movies, even lovely ones.

https://twitter.com/benmekler/status/1378352034441654272

https://twitter.com/JustYandelI/status/1378353784842240000?s=20

https://twitter.com/prairie_oysters/status/1378354640543219714?s=20

Dinosaurs!
May 22, 2003

Is that a guy from Fury Road to the right of the droogs?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I think that’s Ma Fratelli from the Goonies to the right of the Night King.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:59 on Apr 4, 2021

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dinosaurs! posted:

Is that a guy from Fury Road to the right of the droogs?

the war boys had more respect for women so they could learn a thing or two

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
Speaking as someone who never watched Space Jam, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

davidspackage posted:

Speaking as someone who never watched Space Jam, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Speaking as someone who has seen Space Jam, I have no idea what the gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Speaking as someone who has seen space jam, the Lego movie, the lego batman movie and ready player one, I sadly have an idea of what the gently caress.

It sucks though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The Lego movies are at least literally a kid smashing his toys together

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Wreck It Ralph. But with rapists

Ready Player One

But with rapists

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Does this mean Space Jam is actually an isekai anime?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Does this mean Space Jam is actually an isekai anime?

It always was

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Cael posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olXYZOsXw_o

Jesus christ, this looks like a cross between Ready Player One and Detective Pikachu in all the worst ways. I did not need to think about "real" CGI versions of the toons.

ALSO RYAN COOGLER IS A PRODUCER ON THIS!!??

Eh producing credits are like the least accountable thing ever. Ppl get producing credits for walking by a production. Coogler might have just been asked tl be credited in this thing.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Hahaha

https://mobile.twitter.com/benmekler/status/1378359912418353153

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is that supposed to be Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Mierenneuker posted:

Speaking as someone who has seen Space Jam, I have no idea what the gently caress.

Seriously, why did they make it cyberspace? The original already ran on full Roger Rabbit Toon Town logic, a loving space ship drilled into the parking lot of a crowded baseball stadium and nobody gave a poo poo. The first movie got away with poo poo like that just fine, did they think modern audiences would find that strange or did they try to update things to keep hip with the kids like that "how do you do" scene from 30 Rock?

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Detective No. 27 posted:

Is that supposed to be Schwarzenegger's Mr. Freeze.
Seems like it

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Space Jam 2 is a marketing movie just like the first one was. That's a big part of what makes the Clockwork Orange inclusion so weird because you think those things are talked about and then it's clear they had a list checked by some stupid people in high positions and whoops.

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Eh producing credits are like the least accountable thing ever. Ppl get producing credits for walking by a production. Coogler might have just been asked tl be credited in this thing.

I wonder if coogler just wanted to hang out with lebron. Cause honestly I respect that

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

Seriously, why did they make it cyberspace? The original already ran on full Roger Rabbit Toon Town logic, a loving space ship drilled into the parking lot of a crowded baseball stadium and nobody gave a poo poo. The first movie got away with poo poo like that just fine, did they think modern audiences would find that strange or did they try to update things to keep hip with the kids like that "how do you do" scene from 30 Rock?

Probably. I keep wondering how badly social media stuff is going to date films in the long run, especially as sites come and go with little in the way of preservation. This movie leans hard on the influencer stuff and all I can think of is someone trying to watch space jam 2 in their Amazon™ Selector Cell and wondering about a time when humanity was at its peak gig economy before being prodded for daring to entertain themselves on the dime of Jeff Beliazalos, Lord of Alexas

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The Lego movies are at least literally a kid smashing his toys together

And they had Star Wars in the first movie even though that's not a Time-Warner IP. It never felt *quite* as bound to the limits of one studio's poo poo, like it's stuff Lego made toys for (I suppose any Marvel stuff is absent but it's hard to notice amidst the general din.)

To a certain extent Warner has always been in pursuit of the kind of studio identification Disney has, and sometimes filmmakers were able to do this in fun ways- Looney Tunes and the Batman logo showing up in Gremlins 2, or the use of Superman comics in The Iron Giant. (There's also a bit in The Lost Boys where they're in a video store and you can tell all the displayed films are WB ones because all their tapes used the same trade dress back in the mid-80s.)

This, this is trying too hard.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal
WB is having the most pathetic identity crisis. They so desperately want to have a recognizable brand to build loyalty off of but have absolutely no idea how to do it because they shouldnt be trying to do it at all.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

AccountSupervisor posted:

WB is having the most pathetic identity crisis. They so desperately want to have a recognizable brand to build loyalty off of but have absolutely no idea how to do it because they shouldnt be trying to do it at all.

This is very astute. I feel like trying to get that sort of brand identification for a big tent brand is just chasing the impossible, because there is no WB other than "makes movies."

Disney got their brand identity by going the other way. They had their family friendly/for children branding set in the public consciousness (for, like, 60 years) then started gobbling everything else up. But they still know better than to try to mix their oil and water (unlike WB, with the Droogs cheering on tweety bird.) Like, there's a reason It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia isn't on Disney+.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

It's always amusing when studios just lose their minds like this (see also: Sony's leaked emails). When you get to read what these people are saying back and forth to each other on a daily basis you begin to understand why so many weird projects get greenlit.

AccountSupervisor
Aug 3, 2004

I am greatful for my loop pedal

Boxman posted:

This is very astute. I feel like trying to get that sort of brand identification for a big tent brand is just chasing the impossible, because there is no WB other than "makes movies."

Disney got their brand identity by going the other way. They had their family friendly/for children branding set in the public consciousness (for, like, 60 years) then started gobbling everything else up. But they still know better than to try to mix their oil and water (unlike WB, with the Droogs cheering on tweety bird.) Like, there's a reason It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia isn't on Disney+.

Its super weird because they had the most effortless brand ever which was....greenlighting cool movies and an incredibly diverse range of IPs.

WB franchises and big tent poles are iconic in their own right. DC, LotR, Matrix, HP, Nolan to name a big few. I dont know why they thought they needed to change anything other than an attempt to replicate the coveted Disney Marvel money printing machine.

It does not bode well for stuff like Dune. The studio that greenlit a project like that is gone and does not have the guts to stick with a project like that if it isnt ranking in 1bil immediately. Theyre probably thinking "its gunna be our Star Wars!" the same way they thought the Snyderverse was their ticket to the MCU life.

Its so sad. I cant think of a big studio that has put out a larger roster of films I adore than WB. Theyve completely lost their head.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
One thing on the top of the list of upsetting things in Space Jam 2 is that there are CGI/costume people who are really proud of all their work bringing these characters to life — for the half a second they each appear on screen.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

LifeLynx posted:

One thing on the top of the list of upsetting things in Space Jam 2 is that there are CGI/costume people who are really proud of all their work bringing these characters to life — for the half a second they each appear on screen.

And the three months they spent in the industry after art school before the shop was closed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's always amusing when studios just lose their minds like this (see also: Sony's leaked emails). When you get to read what these people are saying back and forth to each other on a daily basis you begin to understand why so many weird projects get greenlit.

I've called it corporate senility, you see it sometimes in cases like Konami, Games Workshop and Capcom for a whole when the management is a mix of dysfunctional, out of touch and literally senile that reality can't effectively penetrate, and you get bizarre, unpredictable decisions that seem actively spiteful towards their fans and the public. Especially since a lot of them clearly don't understand what products they actually make and why people like them.