Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Junkie Disease posted:

Im disappointed at the amount of goofy scifi and crazy world building that they didnt manage to make interesting at all. Whos this? Why? Where? Why again?
Hey lets go check out Kong, no one is allowed to talk about hovercars.

It did feel like there could have been like 45 more minutes in the hollow earth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Junkie Disease posted:

Im disappointed at the amount of goofy scifi and crazy world building that they didnt manage to make interesting at all. Whos this? Why? Where? Why again?
Hey lets go check out Kong, no one is allowed to talk about hovercars.

Yeah, I love world building to an insane degree, so I liked the concept they introduced, but even after watching it, I still don't understand what the point of it all was.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was cool

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

I want to thank this thread for recommending The Art of Self-Defense - I watched that last night with my roommates having only seen half of the trailer - and they hadn't even seen that - and it pretty much made our night. Really, really hilarious and awesome movie.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

New season of The Great Pottery Throwdown up on HBO Max. I think I like it better than British Bake Off for this kind of TV.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

A Proper Uppercut posted:

New season of The Great Pottery Throwdown up on HBO Max. I think I like it better than British Bake Off for this kind of TV.

Does it still have Guy With Awful Hair Who Sobs When He Sees A Well Crafted Cup

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Boxman posted:

Does it still have Guy With Awful Hair Who Sobs When He Sees A Well Crafted Cup

Yes, and I love him.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Weird thing is that it just finished airing weekly in the UK a couple of weeks ago. HBO Max waited until the finale and then dropped the whole series at once for some reason.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yes, and I love him.

But does it have someone that drank Baileys out of an old shoe?

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Old hat at this point but I finally watched Nomadland on Hulu and it was much better than I expected. If you are feeling lonely it might intensify those feelings, though. The movie almost felt like a documentary more than anything (in a good way).

Heavy_D posted:

Wow, good news for everyone except Daniel Craig, who needs to start work on a third accent...

I thought we all agreed that his hokey-rear end accent was amusing. Unfortunately there are real humans that really sound like that.

Heavy_D
Feb 16, 2002

"rararararara" contains the meaning of everything, kept in simple rectangular structures

Glottis posted:

I thought we all agreed that his hokey-rear end accent was amusing. Unfortunately there are real humans that really sound like that.

Yeah, was making a bit of an oblique reference - Rian Johnson joked that in the sequel he'd get Daniel Craig to do an entirely different accent with no explanation given in the film.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice
The through line of "Conspiracy theorists are totally right and your children should totally listen to them" is definitely a take in 2021.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Heavy_D posted:

Yeah, was making a bit of an oblique reference - Rian Johnson joked that in the sequel he'd get Daniel Craig to do an entirely different accent with no explanation given in the film.
Daniel Craig as Charlie Chan

edit: Sorry. Im sorry. Im trying to remove it

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
I Care a Lot is so drat good. It reminds me a lot of Nightcrawler. Fantastic performances all around and it's always nice to see Macon Blair pop up again.

tweet my meat fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Apr 3, 2021

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

tweet my meat posted:

it's always nice to see Macon Blair pop up again.

Still waiting for any news on his Toxic Avenger.

Fake edit: Just did a search and the most recent thing was from December saying Peter Dinklage is starring in it so that's rad.

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Black Dynamite is on HBO Max. You all know it's great.

So I Married an Axe Murderer is on Hulu. I've been watching a bunch of Mike Meyers movies lately but haven't seen this one uhh since video tape. Austin Powers movies are on HBO and Love Guru is on Prime. Original Austin Powers is excellent. Really funny. The sequels are each a step down in quality but still have some solid gags. The radar gag in each film is great poo poo. Love Guru is pretty awful. It has a few laughs but lots and lots of duds.

The Lady and the Dale is a documentary on HBO Max about a female led company in the 70s working on a 3 wheeled car with phenomenal gas mileage. It's about way more than that but revealing too much about her story would diminish the program. It's a 4 episode thing and doesn't feel padded at all. The 4th episode has a reveal that loving floored me. I think it's really worth your time.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

I'm super late to the party on this one, but Fleabag on Amazon is pretty drat great. Phoebe Waller-Bridge is hilarious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Started The Serpent on Netflix and it's drat good so far.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Anyone else watching For All Mankind? I kind of enjoyed parts of the first season but the second season is so loving Russaphobic that I had to stop watching.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
I liked season 1 (I wouldn’t call it prestige TV, but solid B+), but I was holding off on season 2 so I could binge it. The reviews I have read for season 2 have been strong, so I have been looking forward to it. Isn’t being Russian-phobic one of the points of the show? That them landing on the moon first caused that almost self-destructive Cold War mentality to grow worse than it did in actual reality. I will comment once I watch season 2 in the next few weeks, but I am curious where this show will land in the end.

FLIPADELPHIA
Apr 27, 2007

Heavy Shit
Grimey Drawer

mcmagic posted:

Anyone else watching For All Mankind? I kind of enjoyed parts of the first season but the second season is so loving Russaphobic that I had to stop watching.

That's too bad because I really liked the first season as well and thought their treatment of the USSR was pretty spot on. :(

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I know I'm img-timeline on this but Counterpart on Amazon Prime is amazing. I'm genuinely beginning to think JK Simmons may be the finest American actor currently living.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get

GD_American posted:

I know I'm img-timeline on this but Counterpart on Amazon Prime is amazing. I'm genuinely beginning to think JK Simmons may be the finest American actor currently living.

I keep hearing good things but I couldn't really get past the first episode. Care to share more about what you loved?

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Lechtansi posted:

I keep hearing good things but I couldn't really get past the first episode. Care to share more about what you loved?

Well, the cast is top notch and they almost all present masterclasses on either "same person gone down completely different paths" (JK Simmons, Quayle, Baldwin) or "essentially similar person pulling levers to combat each other" (Olivia Williams, James Cromwell). The Cold War analogue comes and goes as far as how heavy-handed it is, but is a good framing device throughout. The undercurrent of paranoia is constant but not overbearing. Once you get a little further in, the backstory is more heavily explained so that the annoying in media res-styled trouble in figuring out the setting goes away.

It's just a well-written, well-acted show. Enough so that I was able to enjoy it despite heavily talky, completely serialized shows not really being in my wheelhouse.

It also has a few "oh looky there" castings in minor characters, such as Jamie Bamber (Adama's kid from BSG), Jacqueline Bisset, Stephen Rea, and Richard Schiff,.

GD_American fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Apr 4, 2021

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Never got around to watching the 2nd season, a combination of hearing it got cancelled right after and how loving dark it got

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

It did get dark, although not gratuitously so (except one minor scene I found kinda over the top), and the ending to season 2 was essentially one of those well-balanced "if we get more seasons there's more story, if not this is a decent place to end it" ones. It basically wraps up everyones' character arc, while showing that big events were coming for the world(s) as a whole. I think season 2 was actually the much better of the two.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Counterpart was fantastic and felt to me like a more serious, high minded take on the split universe ideas from Fringe, it's a shame it came and went without anyone noticing. Starz seem to have no idea how to market their shows, next to no one knows Ash vs Evil Dead existed either.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Speaking of Starz shows, did anyone watch Black Sails? How can a show about pirates be so boring

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

SCheeseman posted:

Counterpart was fantastic and felt to me like a more serious, high minded take on the split universe ideas from Fringe, it's a shame it came and went without anyone noticing. Starz seem to have no idea how to market their shows, next to no one knows Ash vs Evil Dead existed either.

It was incredible while it existed though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

Speaking of Starz shows, did anyone watch Black Sails? How can a show about pirates be so boring

I liked Black Sails, or at least the first 3 season, I need to finish it at some point. It's hard though because you have to go in with the warning that the first 4-ish episodes are slow and that the fun, cooler pirates will have a bigger role later. Also that they have money for about 2 battles a season and that's going to determine the pacing.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I liked Black Sails, or at least the first 3 season, I need to finish it at some point. It's hard though because you have to go in with the warning that the first 4-ish episodes are slow and that the fun, cooler pirates will have a bigger role later. Also that they have money for about 2 battles a season and that's going to determine the pacing.

The whole series felt like the creators didn’t know anything about pirates. Like, for a show about pirates the actual pirates spend very little time capturing other ships. Every scene was just an exposition dump about who is plotting against who or what so-and-so’s plans are, rather than actually showing the viewer what is going on. And the directors had a weird habit of intercutting battle scenes with scenes of people talking in flashbacks which just brought all the tension to a halt.

Also all of the characters sound like they just graduated from Eton and decided to be pirates. They’re the poshest pirates in history.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I'm now halfway through The Serpent and I very much recommend it. Tahir Rahim should definitely get some award nominations for being basically the unholy cross of Charles Manson and Patrick Bateman. The fact it's a true story is some poo poo man

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Deadite posted:

The whole series felt like the creators didn’t know anything about pirates. Like, for a show about pirates the actual pirates spend very little time capturing other ships. Every scene was just an exposition dump about who is plotting against who or what so-and-so’s plans are, rather than actually showing the viewer what is going on. And the directors had a weird habit of intercutting battle scenes with scenes of people talking in flashbacks which just brought all the tension to a halt.

Also all of the characters sound like they just graduated from Eton and decided to be pirates. They’re the poshest pirates in history.

Well, that's part of the problem where "It's technically a prequel to Treasure Island" pops up. Everybody wants it to be all about one big treasure, not the hustle.

Speaking of, was the Netflix Lost Pirate Kingdom thing any good? I was hoping that it'd be alright, but I don't have high hopes for Netflix Originals. I'm behind on pretty much everything so it's low on my list.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

I liked Black Sails too. Solid B level entertainment. Also one of the best opening credits of all time.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I finally watched Over the Moon on Netflix. Nominated for best animated feature at the Oscars. Very cute. Almost Pixar level of quality.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Hey let's fire up Amazon Prime Video and find us a heart-thumping, pulse-pounding, action thrill ride!

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Two can play this game!

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey let's fire up Amazon Prime Video and find us a heart-thumping, pulse-pounding, action thrill ride!

If this river slows down, it'll explode and take half the drat prairie with it

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

doctorfrog posted:

If this river slows down, it'll explode and take half the drat prairie with it
Speed 3: Whitewater

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Thanks, now I crave a video of the grading scene with the audio entirely replaced by the E1M1 music from Doom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gA-sEfXOaEQ