Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tjones posted:

Because someone hasn't made it "big" should never be a thermometer to whether they're skilled. The dude is a lot of things, but unthorough is not one of them. He's not for everyone but I can't see how his rapping ability is even being questioned. Are you even listening to his lyrics?

DROP TABLE PHIZ summed it up the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC9j4ChmxFE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6QSy4MPYc_Y
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqgIKOXykHo

His breath control is amazing. That track with A-F-R-O and Jeff has a part that makes me crack up every time. RA spits somewhere around a hundred syllables one breath and then inhales loudly when he’s done to emphasize it.

This is one of my favorite RA tracks, but Brother Ali & Masta Ace are 2 of my favorite emcees, so it makes sense.
https://youtu.be/Y1fZH0s_5L8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tjones
May 13, 2005
I have to be in a very specific mood to purposely put on a RA track, but even still his consistency and technical abilities have always impressed. I'm not gonna veg out and just decide to throw a RA album on, but that's kinda the point. His content is supposed to be combed over. There are a select few of his songs that are in every right masterpieces and I think you're obtuse if you can't recognize as a hip hop fan that he sits among the top as far as raw lyricism and song writing go.

He's chosen a very specific path to take in regards to his career and I can't knock him for it even though he'll never do Eminem numbers. His catalog still speaks for itself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djftlJc3QEY

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WDfNaWOpb0

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Nothing that isn't already in the old testament.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Thanks for posting your favorite RA tracks. I really feel like I’m missing something because I like his production, I like a bunch of other peoples stuff that he’s got verses on, I like his voice, and his control and technique are phenomenal. I’m a big Aesop Rock fan so when I hear somebody who is more technically proficient than him, I always perk up and listen some more. I guess picking YouTube’s top offerings for his solo stuff was not a good way to dig deeper. I’ll listen to those tracks y’all posted. What’s his best album?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Escobarbarian posted:

It is truly some white poo poo to point out that a massive homophobe is a massive homophobe

It is truly some white poo poo to enjoy listening to the products of the suffering and misery of the black community while condemning it only for issues they feel impacts them personally.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a1dp46BSTvQ

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

alansmithee posted:

It is truly some white poo poo to enjoy listening to the products of the suffering and misery of the black community while condemning it only for issues they feel impacts them personally.

Isn’t there a rule against this in the op?

Edit: lol you wrote the op and yes there is. Nice op by the way, I haven’t revisited it in a while and it holds up well. Thanks for the effort.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 23:38 on Apr 4, 2021

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

alansmithee posted:

I try very hard not to get into debates / arguments with people about these “type” of subjects. Most of the off-base opinions that people give me are coming from a place where they can’t relate.

DMX for example, his mom left him at a half-way house for children without him having prior knowledge. There was a video of him speaking about this and still getting choked up about it.

His father figure, brother, mentor gave him a crack laced blunt at 16. Someone that he loved and said loved him, basically gave him a drug addiction at 16.

Sexually abused by a 27 year old woman when he was 13 cause she was buying him sneakers.

Been to jail countless times, has 15 children, was on some stupid reality show talking about his addiction. And also had 5 platinum albums in row.

Who *can* relate to it unless you know people like that or grew up with that around you?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

obi_ant posted:

I try very hard not to get into debates / arguments with people about these “type” of subjects. Most of the off-base opinions that people give me are coming from a place where they can’t relate.

DMX for example, his mom left him at a half-way house for children without him having prior knowledge. There was a video of him speaking about this and still getting choked up about it.

His father figure, brother, mentor gave him a crack laced blunt at 16. Someone that he loved and said loved him, basically gave him a drug addiction at 16.

Sexually abused by a 27 year old woman when he was 13 cause she was buying him sneakers.

Been to jail countless times, has 15 children, was on some stupid reality show talking about his addiction. And also had 5 platinum albums in row.

Who *can* relate to it unless you know people like that or grew up with that around you?

I grew up with friends dealing with similar strings of devastating life events and I can't relate. Abuse as a child has long term physiological affects that we still don't understand. Now on top of that add systemic racism, addiction (which is a disease process), and ridiculous amounts of fame.

This isn't aimed at you, I just get pissed when this poo poo comes up.

tjones
May 13, 2005

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Thanks for posting your favorite RA tracks. I really feel like I’m missing something because I like his production, I like a bunch of other peoples stuff that he’s got verses on, I like his voice, and his control and technique are phenomenal. I’m a big Aesop Rock fan so when I hear somebody who is more technically proficient than him, I always perk up and listen some more. I guess picking YouTube’s top offerings for his solo stuff was not a good way to dig deeper. I’ll listen to those tracks y’all posted. What’s his best album?

Legends Never Die has the most of my favorite tracks of his (Still Diggin Wit Buck, Bang Boogie, Media Midget, The Dangerous 3). What I've heard of his new album it appears he's cleaned up his writing and learned to make more digestible songs, so maybe start there and work backwards? He's dropped 3 albums plus loosies and had another album shelved, so it's not a lot of content in total. The more backwards you move the more boom-bapish it's gonna get. Dude's oldschool and started in the mid 90s.

DMX isn't dead. It's bad energy to euologize like he is. Homies got a chance yet. And everyone was homophobic in the 90s. Nobody cares what your opinion of DMX is. The man is a legend if you like him or not.

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpZlRJkoqHQ

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

tjones posted:

Nobody cares what your opinion of DMX is. The man is a legend if you like him or not.

:hmmyes:

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

lil dicky is my favorite rapper and my favorite rap verse is thr geraldo rivera sample on dna

tjones
May 13, 2005
If you're looking for new material that is simlar to Aesop or RA, have you considered Dopplegangaz? Duo that play off each other extremely well, make dumb goofy songs with some extremely technical lyrical backing. Pushed by some great production and it's the type of music you can vibe out to and still appreciate the wordplay without overthinking each bar.

If you aren't familiar just search youtube for any of their poo poo because they've honestly not put out a bad song that I can remember.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

tjones posted:

If you're looking for new material that is simlar to Aesop or RA, have you considered Dopplegangaz? Duo that play off each other extremely well, make dumb goofy songs with some extremely technical lyrical backing. Pushed by some great production and it's the type of music you can vibe out to and still appreciate the wordplay without overthinking each bar.

If you aren't familiar just search youtube for any of their poo poo because they've honestly not put out a bad song that I can remember.

Never heard of them but I’ll check them out, thanks.

Speaking of duo that play off each other extremely well, make dumb goofy songs with some extremely technical lyrical backing, I’ve rediscovered czarface and drat

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Edit: lol you wrote the op and yes there is. Nice op by the way, I haven’t revisited it in a while and it holds up well. Thanks for the effort.

I appreciate that. It's a little outdated, I've talked about redoing it a couple times (drill pretty much disappeared from national consciousness outside of really UK Drill which sounds so different from what it was in the Chicago scene that spawned it I'm really surprised they use that name, trap is still largely around but it evolved and mutated and enough people threw the word around that basically anyone from the south who talks about drugs is called trap, and blogs aren't a thing anymore) but never bothered.

Maybe one day I will redo it but I don't know how much people read those anyways. And besides most of the stuff is still largely relevant outside of maybe swapping out some of the example artists for a bit more contemporary stuff.

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here

tjones posted:

DMX isn't dead. It's bad energy to euologize like he is. Homies got a chance yet.

Being on life support with little brain activity after 30 minutes of no oxygen looks bleak

I'll just listen to the uncensored Slippin all day today

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

tjones posted:

Less similar to RA that Aesop, but Shredders is another newish Doomtree project along these lines. It's Sims & P.O.S. w/ Lazerface (I think) on production. Their last EP Great Hits has been in steady rotation for me for the last year or so.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

alansmithee posted:

What if i didn't enjoy dmx but still thought he was a piece of poo poo

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

40 lbs to freedom posted:

lil dicky is my favorite rapper and my favorite rap verse is thr geraldo rivera sample on dna

Lol

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

whos that broooown posted:

What if i didn't enjoy dmx but still thought he was a piece of poo poo

tjones posted:

Nobody cares what your opinion of DMX is. The man is a legend if you like him or not.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Guess it's settled then. Can't talk about DMX in the rap thread, lmao

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

Guess it's settled then. Can't talk about DMX in the rap thread, lmao

lol waaahhh.

you're free to eulogise about dmx's personal shortcomings all you like here. don't let anyone tell you differently.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

lol waaahhh.

you're free to eulogise about dmx's personal shortcomings all you like here. don't let anyone tell you differently.

Lol i'm crying because childhood trauma is okay as an excuse to be an rear end in a top hat in this particular case

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

that's it buddy let it all out.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

if you have any thoughts on aftermath entertainment and australian rap they are also welcome.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

It's all out.

Awaiting a rebuttal

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Marching Powder posted:

if you have any thoughts on aftermath entertainment and australian rap they are also welcome.

My philosophy is pretty consistent.

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

Like i'm pretty sure black gay and trans people took issue with those lyrics.

Who the gently caress are you

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Lol

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

gently caress

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1378893639426932752?s=20

Reports he was off life support and breathing on his own were false

Muk Dumpster
Jun 27, 2020

Text Here
Yeah we've been upset for the last few pages

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

We take issue with your bad posting

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

gently caress

https://twitter.com/EW/status/1378893639426932752?s=20

Reports he was off life support and breathing on his own were false

Seen it a bunch of times with ODs. Paramedics able to resuscitate, but the victim was without oxygen for too long.

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!

It's all out.

Awaiting a rebuttal

If you can handwave like 40 years of trauma for a person, then we can handwave your dumbass non-arguments.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Stop slap fighting about DMX. Or in general.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Homophobia and transphobia aren't exclusive to rap and definitely not the case in the early to mid 2000s. I usually have the thought "oh wow, that hasn't aged well" when I hear old tracks that have those kind of lyrics, but it's a product of the time.

I think some people are quick to jump on old artists about their lyrics from the past. But I don't think that's exactly fair because people generally strip away the context of the time. It's like people are shocked that we've advanced as a society in 20 years or something.

Where the Hood At still slaps.

I've been on a big new jack swing tip lately. Don't Be Cruel by Bobby Brown has to be one of the best albums in that genre, if not the best. Just sucks how much tragedy Bobby has experienced in his life.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Lol

I hope Dmx is ok

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Ok A-F-R-O is fuckin good