Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I was elbow deep in a printer the other day, looking for a piece of paper the size of my pinky nail that had gummed up the works

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Oyster posted:

Printer tech contracted to giant hospital system checking in:

:yotj:

Got an offer from a local MSP as a level 2 tech. After 6 years roaming the hospitals fixing the big printer issues, I now get to touch servers and networks of small to mid sized businesses. Haven't accepted it yet but there's very little reason not to on Monday.

Hell yeah, congrats! :yotj:

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

The last two corps I've worked, we had issues with daylight savings time. Is this normal in your experience?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

edit: gently caress it, I respectfully withdraw from arguing about displayport bugs/features on the internet.

Paladine_PSoT fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Apr 5, 2021

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

The last two corps I've worked, we had issues with daylight savings time. Is this normal in your experience?

Devil is in the details. Right now with hybrid joined Azure AD devices, we seem to get a handful that don't update for DST correctly until they can see a domain controller. The official Microsoft answer is that a hybrid joined device still uses a domain controller for NTP... so welp.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

I am more confused by the idea that you've worked somewhere that hasn't had those issues TBH.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

GreenNight posted:

I pinged our HP guy and he said that docking monitor got discontinued because, and I quote, "they kinda sucked rear end".

This is what is recommended:

https://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetPDF.aspx/c06489910.pdf

Got quoted for $479. Not bad.
Ha, awesome, good thing the literal thousands my agency ordered have already been delivered, and I'm sure going all-in on only one monitor option for everyone won't come back to bite us now.

Mustache Ride
Sep 11, 2001

If everything is urgent, nothing is.
- IT Tzu

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Knormal posted:

Ha, awesome, good thing the literal thousands my agency ordered have already been delivered, and I'm sure going all-in on only one monitor option for everyone won't come back to bite us now.

All I can say is make sure the firmware is upgraded before you hand them out. I'm waiting for my test unit to arrive.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

It’s a bitch and a half for managing PagerDuty schedules as code for multi time zone teams.

Also gently caress managing PagerDuty as code. We have literally five different terraform modules for PagerDuty and they’re all terrible.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Holy poo poo, lol.

Just got a request to bump a VM to 32 cores and 128GB of RAM.

Just... No.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

god, how often a request comes in like that

you ask if their performance monitoring is showing them trends or specific bottlenecks, and it comes out in later conversation that they basically don't have any insight whatsoever into their lovely app's performance characteristics

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

"Does your application benefit from more cores or faster cores?"
"What?"

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

"Does your application benefit from more cores or faster cores?"
"What?"

lol, like any app person knows that.

Impotence
Nov 8, 2010
Lipstick Apathy
my app can only handle a single core regardless, please give me one 10ghz core

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

My current boss gave some VM like 16GB and 8 cores, he said "It needs all that or it won't run right! I've seen performance issues with less resources!"

It's running on a 2-core 2GB VM right now. It's just LibreNMS

I did have to take all the VirtualBox poo poo out of it. He got it running on some spare desktop PC then used some tool to convert it over to a VMware VM. Fixed a bunch of other dumb poo poo too.

One day when I get bored I'm going to just move the data to a fresh install of it on a CentOS 8 box.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

AlexDeGruven posted:

Holy poo poo, lol.

Just... No.

It says it right here on the "suggested specs"!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Reminds me of the specs for Exchange 2019

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/plan-and-deploy/system-requirements?view=exchserver-2019

Mailbox: 128 GB minimum recommended

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
One of our (terrible) developers has told us “it’s just a slider, why can’t you add more?!?”

lmao gently caress off. The same idiot did a drive-by pre COVID, asking for a storage account in azure to play around with. Nope, unless you have a business need and it’s tied to a project, you aren’t getting poo poo. I don’t care how cheap storage accounts are.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Someone in the company has GPO-pushed a shortcut to Public\Desktop that points to Internet Explorer with a URL argument to all users :argh:

There's no ticket :argh:

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
"It's just a shortcut URL GPO, how could I screw it up?" remarked the admin, blind to legacy intricacies

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

AlexDeGruven posted:

Holy poo poo, lol.

Just... No.

I heard about this request, luckily my camera was off to hide the laughing.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

I walked in to get handed a ticket to install some storage driver on a windows box in AWS thats been escalated because the 1st shift manager sat on it for 10 days. I'm not a windows admin, I'm linux focused. I don't have access to AWS.

And the install process, as documented, involved modifying the boot sequence to boot into a mode where you won't be able to remote in for 15 minutes while you just have to blindly wait and hope its installing the driver and not dead. This process explicitly doesn't support AMI backups.

:wtc:

Spring Heeled Jack
Feb 25, 2007

If you can read this you can read
We were recently asked to bump our mssql server VM from 64gb of memory to 128gb. There were no performance issues that preceded this request, but it came from the CIO so we had to do it.

We also had to do this on our testing environment sql VMs, so now we’re getting low on memory in our esxi cluster. Good poo poo.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

What to we call the step above gigahertz? Bigahertz?

Because I once ran into a VM with 12 of those assigned to it. That was special.

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
I don’t KNOW what the problem is, but it’s DEFINITELY NOT my poo poo code so give this motherfucker MORE HORSEPOWER or I’ll tell my BOSS you’re an unhelpful piece of poo poo

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

Look, if you don't make my application's VM a 32x128, how will I show that it's more important than my rival's app running on a 24x96 VM?

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

xsf421 posted:

I heard about this request, luckily my camera was off to hide the laughing.

What's sad is that I know exactly the headspace it comes from. Since the request is half the specs of the beta environment, which is not exhibiting the issue. But that's also a physical R6515 64c Threadripper box, so the idea of even coming close (ok, half) in VMware is just lol.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread, but my place has an Oracle database that was crashing every few days, and after increasing VM memory didn't solve the problem the final fix was to schedule a nightly reboot of the server. Can't crash on the third day if your uptime never goes above one day.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
For a while we were rebooting our mssql EDW server weekly because it would fall over after two weeks or so. To be fair it gets hammered constantly between all the data streaming in and the lovely queries that the business users write, but still. It is more than adequately specced and is backed by 10g fiber to pure storage, so i/o isn’t an issue.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bob Morales posted:

My current boss gave some VM like 16GB and 8 cores, he said "It needs all that or it won't run right! I've seen performance issues with less resources!"

It's running on a 2-core 2GB VM right now. It's just LibreNMS

I did have to take all the VirtualBox poo poo out of it. He got it running on some spare desktop PC then used some tool to convert it over to a VMware VM. Fixed a bunch of other dumb poo poo too.

One day when I get bored I'm going to just move the data to a fresh install of it on a CentOS 8 box.

Centos 8 is dead on 31 Dec 2021

Red hat killed CentOS and turned it into a rolling release version of RHEL.

Unrelated, if you have anything running on CentOS, start researching alternatives, like licensing RHEL.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Apr 6, 2021

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

orange juche posted:

Centos 8 is dead on 31 Dec 2021

Red hat killed CentOS and turned it into a rolling release version of RHEL.

Unrelated, if you have anything running on CentOS, start researching alternatives, like licensing RHEL.

I know that, I meant whatever we end up using instead of CentOS 8.

(edit: it will probably just be Debian since we don't NEED to use CentOS/RHEL here)

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

My tech has gotten 3 tickets in the past 2 weeks concerning someones cat chewing through some cord, be that laptop or dock or monitor.

Oyster
Nov 11, 2005

I GOT FLAT FEET JUST LIKE MY HERO MEGAMAN
Total Clam
One last check in from hospital printer support:

Back at the end of February, everyone on my team's accesses to the hospital intranet were expired because the hospital system transitioned to WorkDay at about the same time our contract manager retired and we were never put in the WorkDay system. A month later, all our provisional accounts were expired, it was a big hullabaloo to get them back. We were given a month extension with the idea that our new manager would get us accounts in WorkDay set up. She never did, and all our accounts expired again about a week ago. It took me 4 tickets to get all my accesses back, but once I had done it the rest of the team was just templated off me.

Just got word that I've finally been added to WorkDay and my account won't be expiring at the end of the month! The day after I handed in my 2 weeks notice.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

The company that leases/services our copiers/printers installed some software update that broke networking. Ugh.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Bob, you work in a mental hospital right?

Is this a Shutter Island situation?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

In other printer related news:

We have one unit where the fax machine/copier is configured to print faxes instead of converting to email. Don't know why it's set up that way. This whole unit is working from home because of COVID. Every week or two they can't "print" (send a fax, from that machine), so they put a ticket in to IT, and someone goes over there and takes the massive stack of paper off the output tray and sticks two reams in the paper tray. Then they are good for another week or two.

Anyway...this has been going on for at least 6 months or so. When I was the only one here the other day, my boss asked where I was, then said to not touch that copier again. They put a ticket in this morning, and he sent out this email.

I don’t want the IT team to keep going down there for this. Paper out and/or bin full is something they can coordinate with staff on their unit. They need to work with their leadership to find a solution to this.

Perfectly fine, we don't change paper for anyone else in the building.

I thought he also shared this with them, but he didn't, so after like the third "halp can't print" email, I broke the the news to them and now they hate me. :(

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

HELP I DON'T HAVE INTERNET I HAVEN'T HAD INTERNET FOR 2 WEEKS MY STEPDAD LOOKED AT THE CABLE AND IT'S BENT

user had cut through the cable entirely somehow and they'd tried to splice it together. calls to fix a cut cable are free

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

lament.cfg posted:

Bob, you work in a mental hospital right?

Is this a Shutter Island situation?

All of Something Awful is an elaborate illusion for the benefit of one single person.

Yes, even the front page.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002
You know it's taken us 20 years to build this farse and we can't have the house of cards come crashing down now.