Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

I wanna know how Wolf Dad went from Florida to Hong Kong in a few minutes without super technology.

Nice to see the teleporters from Game of Thrones are still in circulation - it saves a lot of time in the writing room since they can just go "and then this part of the plot was here so they could meet up with the rest of the plot that we did actually write."

"This is just a napkin that says "I can do whatever I want."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

First of all, they were mining energon, so I'm gonna need a transformer cross over forget Pacific rim. And wouldn't the existence of an energy signal duplicator(of a literal physical thing, not even a wave form like light itself) mean they could already know the make up of energy and how to increase it on a granular level? What would finding a different "more powerful" pattern do/be/mean in this case? They could've said that one small piece was as powerful as a nuke and had the bot fly at super sonic speeds or some poo poo, but they didn't even loving try.

I need to watch it again

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

bushisms.txt posted:

First of all, they were mining energon, so I'm gonna need a transformer cross over forget Pacific rim.
The first Kong.......... was Optimus Primal

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

bushisms.txt posted:

First of all, they were mining energon, so I'm gonna need a transformer cross over forget Pacific rim. And wouldn't the existence of an energy signal duplicator(of a literal physical thing, not even a wave form like light itself) mean they could already know the make up of energy and how to increase it on a granular level? What would finding a different "more powerful" pattern do/be/mean in this case? They could've said that one small piece was as powerful as a nuke and had the bot fly at super sonic speeds or some poo poo, but they didn't even loving try.

I need to watch it again

An entire writing room of scriptwriters signed off on that, and then the director and all the producers signed off on it as well, and then a bunch of actors actually said those things out loud while the cameras were rolling and recording it for the entire world to see. Every single person involved was not only a grown educated adult, they were also highly paid professionals in this specific field.

I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed at the sheer balls it took for all those dozens and dozens of people to each go "gently caress it, this is fine" and continue on with their day

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The dumbest thing about the Hollow Earth bullshit in GvK is that it isn’t even consistent with the Hollow Earth bullshit they already established in KSI and KOTM. In both of those movies it’s described as “a series of pockets and tunnels” and not, as SMG put it, a yolk within an egg. On paper they’re both equally absurd but there’s something a little more palatable about the former instead of just having a magical Avatar world with its own mini sun for no loving reason. I know I sound like a crazy person complaining about nonsensical sci-if poo poo and bad science in a Godzilla movie, but every bit of it in GvK felt like it only existed because the writers couldn’t figure out any other way to make Plot Point B follow Plot Point A. I mean yeah it’s kinda fun and bonkers but it’s also just lazy.

Everyone knows the movie only exists to make the monkey fight the lizard, but that doesn’t give you carte blanche to phone in the setup.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I want you to remember that there are magical fairies, black hole guns, absolute zero cannons, the idea that Godzilla can push back a collapsing dimensional tide with his beam, the entirety of Final Wars and its infinity energy matrix bullshit, black hole white hole rose Godzilla hybrid bastards, clones, mechas, giant loving cyborgs made out of bones, ghosts, self programming size changing robots made in a garage by a gay couple and their adopted son, more ghosts, and the sheer existence of kaiju in and of themselves in the eyes of God across this franchise

And some how

In a feat I NEVER would have thought possible

This movie Godzilla VS Kong is the least scientific monster movie I have ever seen

And I love it dearly

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Everyone knows the movie only exists to make the monkey fight the lizard, but that doesn’t give you carte blanche to phone in the setup.

Yes it does?

Monke punch Dinosaur :dumbbravo:

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Yeah, I haven’t seen KvG but all these complaints about it come across as ridiculous as someone who’s watched most of the Godzilla films. These movies are patently absurd. All of them.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/Variety/status/1378720426818428932

lol that this could easily beat KotM's total world gross during a pandemic

While GvsK is well-written as a Saturday morning cartoon, general audiences seem to like it.

Adam Wyngard is the luckiest motherfucker that his movie is the first post-lockdown hit, hope he gets some blank checks to shoot whatever gory B-movie he wants

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I mean the entire trip: they go to Antarctica, travel downwards, walk to the cave beneath Hong Kong, and then head up - in, like, a day.

Yea but it's like the inside ring of a carousel, the inner sphere of the Hollow Earth is much smaller than the outer surface.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Watched it and enjoyed it. Outside of the conspiracy theorist character, none of the characters annoyed me, and it's pretty obvious that Kong is the actual protagonist we're following. I have no idea what people are so incredibly angry about with this movie.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Even given the premise, this was an aggressively stupid movie. I disliked all the human characters, but Kong was pretty good.

It's a shame we didn't get to see more of Hollow Earth — the best part of Skull Island was all the weird creatures.

I found it endearing how every Thing was compulsively reused as Another Thing. The hover craft turned defibrillator, the axe blade that was actually a Godzilla back plate, the resignation whiskey sparking hope, etc. Silly.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

who needs CinemaSins for this movie when we have this thread!

thanks for pointing out all the plot holes folks

Peacoffee
Feb 11, 2013

What needs to be considered, amid all this talk of plot holes and loose threads, is whether or not we are merely describing the contours of what could be an entire interior or “hollow plot” within the plot itself, connected by these holes. Obviously, Kong rules there too.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

Three for real chuckle-out-loud moments for me: Godzilla's grin, the villain's daughter's demise and the final "coward" joke (Skarsgård really sold that one).

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Noooo godzilla you cant just beam through the earth crusterinooo

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

Roth posted:

Watched it and enjoyed it. Outside of the conspiracy theorist character, none of the characters annoyed me, and it's pretty obvious that Kong is the actual protagonist we're following. I have no idea what people are so incredibly angry about with this movie.

It’s important that people know that I know this movie is stupid and more stupid than me. I watched it, and I knew it was stupid. At no time while watching it, despite any moment of enjoyment I may have had, did I stop knowing it was stupid. Just thought you should know that.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

well why not posted:

I don’t think the MBB plot was as useless as people are saying. It builds some suspense and interest into what’s being built. I don’t think people really consider how flat one of these movies would be with the human characters excised. It’d feel even lower stakes.

The thing is that her whole storyline is completely pointless. We could've just found out about the bad guys' existence and plans from their connection to Monarch and their sudden betrayal in the hollow earth. Or they could've just cut to the bad guys being bad, because it's obvious they're bad guys from scene 1. Following Mobbie around while she does bad 90s comedy about conspiracy theories added absolutely nothing to the film.

Also if you have even a passing familiarity with Godzilla as a franchise you knew exactly what the weird power core in the building's ruins was so we didn't need her or any of the other characters to yammer on about how Godzillas only do mating displays when their titan pheromones are expressed or whatever the gently caress. We get it, Godzilla has a motivation for attacking the building, because there's a big evil looking glowing orb in the building.

It's a fine thing to have human characters in your Kaiju films who are connected to what's happening. But we already had them, they're the Monarch team following Kong around. There was no need for the scooby doo investigation team b-plot.

anatomi
Jan 31, 2015

nemesis_hub posted:

It’s important that people know that I know this movie is stupid and more stupid than me. I watched it, and I knew it was stupid. At no time while watching it, despite any moment of enjoyment I may have had, did I stop knowing it was stupid. Just thought you should know that.
Discuss the movie instead of whining about people who don't feel like you do.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

People who don't like bad movies are just virtue signaling.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Roth posted:

It's neither as obnoxious as a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich film, nor as tedious with human characters most people don't care about as the first two Godzilla movies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Sodomy Hussein posted:

It's neither as obnoxious as a Michael Bay/Roland Emmerich film

I actually think it might be genuinely worse than Godzilla ‘98. At least ‘98 is so bad it’s funny.

Poor Bryan Tyree Henry, he was so good in Widows, now he’s reduced to playing comic relief podcasters.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Noooo godzilla you cant just beam through the earth crusterinooo

ha ha ha Atomic breath go brrrrrrr

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I actually think it might be genuinely worse than Godzilla ‘98. At least ‘98 is so bad it’s funny.

Wow ok the pandemic has really broken a lot of people's brains (mine included) but holy poo poo dude.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

fatherboxx posted:

Adam Wyngard is the luckiest motherfucker that his movie is the first post-lockdown hit, hope he gets some blank checks to shoot whatever gory B-movie he wants

He’s doing.... Thundercats next.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

Wow ok the pandemic has really broken a lot of people's brains (mine included) but holy poo poo dude.

‘98 has a really good Rage Against the Machine b-side on the soundtrack, what does Godzilla v Kong have? Bobby Vinton? Who cares?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I think over time I'm just getting more and more used to the kind of directors and movies that interest me being a little disjointed thanks to production fuckery. It seems like it's just an inevitable by-product of audiences recoiling from anything that betrays their expectations.

In that sense, the criticisms are entirely valid -- it's not a good thing for a movie to have obvious last-minute patches to hold the plot together following cuts, or for there to be characters who serve virtually no purpose in the narrative (I disagree with this assessment re: Bernie's group, but it's definitely fair as applied to Wolf Dad, Lance Reddick, or even Ren -- the latter's role in the film is cool and thematically appropriate but he's still kind of a non-entity in terms of actually doing anything.)

It's just that as flaws goes those are completely trivial to me and whether I enjoy something or find meaning in it, while something more elegant but less ambitious (or even just "less surprising") is probably just going to be boring.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Let’s look at the facts:

Godzilla ‘98 - Has Jamiroquai, Puff Daddy
Godzilla vs Kong - No Jamiroquai

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
Godzilla ‘98 is indeed a significantly better stupid movie.

Necrothatcher posted:

who needs CinemaSins for this movie when we have this thread!

thanks for pointing out all the plot holes folks

The issue is not plot holes but narrative holes.

Mothra 1, for example, is primarily about these two native women being kept as slaves. The goofy stuff like them being two feet tall, and a giant moth creature attacking New Kirk City, is an expression of the Infant Islanders’ Proto-Christian religious beliefs - a close approximation of “the meek shall inherit the Earth”.

In later films, Ishiro Honda gets slightly ‘meta’ and makes Mothra a pop icon in the story - pointing out that Mothra is disrespected because she’s goofy. Audiences watching her perform on TV are like “ha ha giant bug”, and ignore her political message.

GvK isn’t doing that. They do a Space Odyssey reference so, what, Kong is a Star Child now? Well no, not really. The opening credits introduce a pro sports metaphor, so maybe a there’s something about that? Nope.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Hey remember when the favorite activity of Mechagodzilla was introducing Godzilla's face to the various buildings of Hong Kong? That was rad.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

GvK isn’t doing that. They do a Space Odyssey reference so, what, Kong is a Star Child now? Well no, not really. The opening credits introduce a pro sports metaphor, so maybe a there’s something about that? Nope.

I'm not sure what Space Odyssey reference you're thinking of (picking up the axe after encountering the throne/monolith, maybe?) but I would imagine the significance is at the other end -- Kong has crossed over the threshold from ape to humanity, and the film (like the opening of 2001) is kind of ambivalent about his moral future, now that he's crossed this line.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

VanSandman posted:

Hey remember when the favorite activity of Mechagodzilla was introducing Godzilla's face to the various buildings of Hong Kong? That was rad.

Mecha-G not having piston punches was a let down. You build a giant robot kaiju, you obviously give it piston punches!

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Mecha-G not having piston punches was a let down. You build a giant robot kaiju, you obviously give it piston punches!

I liked Mecha-G's design overall but I agree with this criticism.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Yes but, rocket punches.

Charlatan Eschaton
Feb 23, 2018

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Kong has crossed over the threshold from ape to humanity, and the film (like the opening of 2001) is kind of ambivalent about his moral future, now that he's crossed this line.

this tracks since its not kong in this movie but chaos from the sega saturn version of primal rage who is a shaman forced to defeat the other gods to become human again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV-QWOM83-Y&t=300s

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

An entire writing room of scriptwriters signed off on that, and then the director and all the producers signed off on it as well, and then a bunch of actors actually said those things out loud while the cameras were rolling and recording it for the entire world to see. Every single person involved was not only a grown educated adult, they were also highly paid professionals in this specific field.

I'm not even mad, I'm just impressed at the sheer balls it took for all those dozens and dozens of people to each go "gently caress it, this is fine" and continue on with their day

it doesnt take any balls lol, gently caress me its a movie where a giant lizard fights a giant monkey, theyd cared exactly as much about physics as needed

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

I don't think the pro sport thing is fully explored in this movie, but it is consistent with the way GvK portrays Kong as, like, almost a celebrity? Which is similar to how he's treated in the 1933 film (where he's this huge flash-in-the-pan spectacle, and is sort of implicitly compared to Fay Wray as an audience attraction who was scouted by this amoral movie director, but he's unable to adapt to life in the big city and flames out).

Ilene is specifically famous for being the "Kong Whisperer" -- it's the association with Kong that catapulted her into the limelight, but then it's her face on the magazine. People knows who Kong is and they care enough that even decades after Skull Island this researcher whose work revolves around him can trade on his name not just with other scientists but even with the general public.

I think part of the problem is that the movie is obviously trying to avoid the racist implications of a (even just symbolically) native/indigenous character being a big monkey, while still trading on Kong's association with the third world and with all the people who want to ride on his coattails or take advantage of him to further their colonial ambitions. So to (over)-compensate there are all these scenes and metaphors that emphasize how Kong is at once just a regular guy, but also there's this ancient and proud history of Kong-kind, that he's both smarter and stronger than anyone gives him credit for, etc.

An interesting consequence of this is that the only person who can interact with Kong as a true peer is Godzilla -- who in addition to having a different ideological stance to the exploiters and hangers-on surrounding Kong, has a shared heritage in the Hollow Earth and a historical grievance that helps contextualize Godzilla's conflict with him as more than just the simple battle for dominance that the humans keep assigning as his motivation.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 5, 2021

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mandatory lesbian posted:

it doesnt take any balls lol, gently caress me its a movie where a giant lizard fights a giant monkey, theyd cared exactly as much about physics as needed

If you think that’s cool, check this out: there’s a whole genre of giant monster battle movies, and the vast majority of them are better than this.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I'm not sure what Space Odyssey reference you're thinking of (picking up the axe after encountering the throne/monolith, maybe?) but I would imagine the significance is at the other end -- Kong has crossed over the threshold from ape to humanity, and the film (like the opening of 2001) is kind of ambivalent about his moral future, now that he's crossed this line.

They ripped off the 2001 stargate sequence for the part where they fly into the hole. It’s one of several references that just aren’t used correctly. “Robo-Godzilla’s a big Terminator, so let’s gently caress him up!!!” Have these people not seen Terminator 2?

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

If you think that’s cool, check this out: there’s a whole genre of giant monster battle movies, and the vast majority of them are better than this.

im not defending the movie, but id like better criticism then "its not realistic", which is a thing that literally no movie is by virtue of being a work of fiction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

mandatory lesbian posted:

im not defending the movie, but id like better criticism then "its not realistic", which is a thing that literally no movie is by virtue of being a work of fiction

The issue’s that it’s not truthful.

Like, what sort of realism are we talking about? Kong 2005 presents an alternate universe / alternate history story, where a giant extinct ape rampaged through New York in the 1930s. However, it’s using this premise to talk about economics and racism, the film industry and so-on - while also having Kong fight multiple giant dinosaurs.