Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

FlamingLiberal posted:

It’s not that many episodes and I feel like we get some good character stuff out of it

Rocks and Shoals is one of my all time favorite DS9 episodes; some great Jem'Hadar stuff and Kira dealing with being a collaborator is great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The_Doctor posted:

Picard’s lost uniform from Generations is up for auction (Julien’s, at the end of April):

To this day I do not understand what Robert Blackman was thinking with these. I'm sure they would have looked different under studio lighting and all, but the collar is distractingly silly, the way the top tucks into the pants just looks silly, the crotch seam is absurdly long and I can only imagine the cast would be wearing some gigantic-rear end boots, given where the ankle hem is.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Timby posted:

To this day I do not understand what Robert Blackman was thinking with these. I'm sure they would have looked different under studio lighting and all, but the collar is distractingly silly, the way the top tucks into the pants just looks silly, the crotch seam is absurdly long and I can only imagine the cast would be wearing some gigantic-rear end boots, given where the ankle hem is.

It looks like a homemade cosplay outfit. Like, go to an anime convention and you'll see exactly that kind of stuff with the too-obvious seams and bad dimensions because it's teenagers with no experience making stuff on their moms' sewing machines.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Wait, what - so in Discovery S3, the explanation for "Why not go back and stop the Burn?" is "because we made time travel illegal and destroyed all the ways of doing it"?

So any new aggressor civilisation that does have time travel tech - which, let's face it, in the Trekverse is as common as boiling water tech - and doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else's laws can gently caress with the Federation on a temporal level as much as they want, and there's nothing they can do about it? Jeez, and I thought banning cloaking tech was a dumbass self-limiting move. Destroying your own time travel tech is as stupid as Brexit.

"Well, Discovery's not even meant to be here. We could use one of the 153 different known time travel methods to go back and beam up the Brainscream Kid before he blows up all the dilithium, kills millions of people and cripples the Federation, then go back further and get ourselves out of the way of history?"
"No! It's against the law!"
"But millions of peop-"
"THE LAW!"

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

You can make the same argument about literally any bad thing in history. The Temporal Prime Directive existed long before Discovery did, the time travel ban just makes it stick for real.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
What thing in history are we talking about. Because there has never been a ban on something that’s been enforced in any realistic way.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Timby posted:

Yeah I can see why they didn't screen test well

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Payndz posted:

Wait, what - so in Discovery S3, the explanation for "Why not go back and stop the Burn?" is "because we made time travel illegal and destroyed all the ways of doing it"?

So any new aggressor civilisation that does have time travel tech - which, let's face it, in the Trekverse is as common as boiling water tech - and doesn't give a poo poo about anyone else's laws can gently caress with the Federation on a temporal level as much as they want, and there's nothing they can do about it? Jeez, and I thought banning cloaking tech was a dumbass self-limiting move. Destroying your own time travel tech is as stupid as Brexit.

"Well, Discovery's not even meant to be here. We could use one of the 153 different known time travel methods to go back and beam up the Brainscream Kid before he blows up all the dilithium, kills millions of people and cripples the Federation, then go back further and get ourselves out of the way of history?"
"No! It's against the law!"
"But millions of peop-"
"THE LAW!"

I mean, they have had the temporal prime directive for a while. The shows have just never been super strict about enforcing it. But the long and short of it is that you don't really have a say which timeline is the "right one". Wipe out a timeline with the Burn and all the people who were born because of the unique circumstances of the post-Burn galaxy never exist, and you're killing them as surely as the people who starve to death because of the Burn.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
I have seen some chatter online about how TNG was hinting at the Borg from Season 1-ish and onwards, stuff like the missing colonies and what not. I figure that they didn't think of the actual Borg until the plot required it, but were the scriptwriters really considering an overarching enemy or hivemind antagonist that early on? It seems unlikely to me since there was so much production turbulence at the start.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I think the Ferengi were supposed to be the big mysterious threat before they torpedoed that with the horrific first Ferengi episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HIJK posted:

I have seen some chatter online about how TNG was hinting at the Borg from Season 1-ish and onwards, stuff like the missing colonies and what not. I figure that they didn't think of the actual Borg until the plot required it, but were the scriptwriters really considering an overarching enemy or hivemind antagonist that early on? It seems unlikely to me since there was so much production turbulence at the start.

There was an idea of the worm aliens from Conspiracy being a long-term, overarching enemy; Maurice Hurley was pushing hard for this to happen. Then Conspiracy was actually produced and everyone realized how prohibitively expensive that would be from an effects perspective, so Hurley instead started thinking of a new, more mysterious enemy that was hinted at in The Neutral Zone; that enemy became the Borg.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Timby posted:

There was an idea of the worm aliens from Conspiracy being a long-term, overarching enemy; Maurice Hurley was pushing hard for this to happen. Then Conspiracy was actually produced and everyone realized how prohibitively expensive that would be from an effects perspective, so Hurley instead started thinking of a new, more mysterious enemy that was hinted at in The Neutral Zone; that enemy became the Borg.

Huh, so that's why Conspiracy never panned out. It didn't quite fit in with TNG so I can see why that didn't work. Too bad they never came back in DS9 or something. That's really cool though that they were able to imagine it that early and carried it forward, I wouldn't expect that from all the apocrypha surrounding Season 1 TNG.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I think the Ferengi were supposed to be the big mysterious threat before they torpedoed that with the horrific first Ferengi episode.

Lmao, I can absolutely see this. At least those first episode Ferengi made a cute callback as Quark's action figures! :v:

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah it’s 6 episodes that end with two Galaxy classes double teaming a Cardy ship WHAT MORE COULD YOU WANT?

golden bells
Oct 17, 2013

I have a meme request pwease: an animorphs book cover with Tom Paris morphing into future human amphibian

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

What would have been expensive about a little worm in someone’s neck? I’m sure they didn’t all have to explode.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

HIJK posted:

Huh, so that's why Conspiracy never panned out. It didn't quite fit in with TNG so I can see why that didn't work. Too bad they never came back in DS9 or something. That's really cool though that they were able to imagine it that early and carried it forward, I wouldn't expect that from all the apocrypha surrounding Season 1 TNG.

IIRC the DS9 books set after the series ended brought them back and made them somehow linked to the Trill.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Kibayasu posted:

What would have been expensive about a little worm in someone’s neck? I’m sure they didn’t all have to explode.

The opticals were pretty expensive.

While Q Who? went wildly over-budget (which is why Shades of Grey was a clip show episode), at least they were able to amortize the cost of the Borg costumes and effects over several episodes, since all they had to do was put actors under white facepaint and in vacuform plastic pieces with tubing and whatever greebles they had hanging around the prop shop.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Controversial option: I think the Borg themselves have always looked goofy as gently caress, and would have been way more creepy if they were just left as this terrifying cube-hive that shouted at you and occasionally dissected your ship.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

HD DAD posted:

Controversial option: I think the Borg themselves have always looked goofy as gently caress, and would have been way more creepy if they were just left as this terrifying cube-hive that shouted at you and occasionally dissected your ship.

And if that single giant cube was their entire species— it being the same cube that follows them back to Earth after 2 years.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nitrousoxide posted:

I mean, they have had the temporal prime directive for a while. The shows have just never been super strict about enforcing it. But the long and short of it is that you don't really have a say which timeline is the "right one". Wipe out a timeline with the Burn and all the people who were born because of the unique circumstances of the post-Burn galaxy never exist, and you're killing them as surely as the people who starve to death because of the Burn.

*The Devidians start sucking out brain rays in 25th-century San Francisco*

"No, stop that! We banned it! You're not playing very nice!"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

HD DAD posted:

It seems like a fairly common opinion on the internet where a lot of people swear they love the Borg but really wish they just never showed up or did anything or had any further development.

I guess they want the Borg to be more like the Romulans.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

SlothfulCobra posted:

It seems like a fairly common opinion on the internet where a lot of people swear they love the Borg but really wish they just never showed up or did anything or had any further development.

I think those people just think that they ended up taking the Borg in a not-great direction and that they were much more effective in the first few appearances.

They were very different in those first couple.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!
Are there mirror universe Borg

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
I always assumed that the mirror universe never hinted at anything after DS9 since the borg finally found the terran empire/coliltian whichever was on top last, and basically steamrolled them all.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Steamrolled them with love

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
42 years from today, a Vulcan scout ship lands in Bozeman, Montana after noticing a warp signature, and Dr. Zefram Cochrane regales them with doo-wop jukebox music and hard liquor.

Happy First Contact Day, everybody.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Nitrousoxide posted:

That was War Picard's attitude in 'Yesterday's Enterprise', and as I think Ron Moore noted, he condemns all those people to non-existence on the word of the bartender.

The Burn is just a puzzle box with a really bizarre solution. "How can we set up the far future so Discovery won't be instantly merked by a 30th-century shuttlecraft? I know - warp drive has gone because a kid screamed at some dilithium crystals! Discovery's unique spore drive gives it an edge that could help restore the Federation!" [Discovery warps everywhere and is constantly placed in unnecessary danger]

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Axe-man posted:

I always assumed that the mirror universe never hinted at anything after DS9 since the borg finally found the terran empire/coliltian whichever was on top last, and basically steamrolled them all.

other way around, the mirror Borg are nice and also the ultimate wimps

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Mirror 'q' which I guess is 'p' decides to put humanity on trial for not being evil enough, but rigs the trial in their favor by flinging evil picard thousands of lightyears in an instant so he can slice up a mirror borg pleasure craft.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

SlothfulCobra posted:

In my opinion the Romulans were quite adequately displayed in TNG and most of the narrative beats they could have done with them, they did better with the Cardassians in DS9. I'm not surprised that they stuck with the Cardassians for the most part, even if they lack the implicit reflected valor of :spock: on 'em.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

HD DAD posted:

Kinda, but having the drones just give zero poo poo about what happens around them was pretty cool. It helps hammer home the point that there are no individuals, by showing what we recognize as individual Borgs and having them act entirely like cogs in a machine.

I also agree that the Borg were taken in the wrong direction, essentially making them more human with motivations and a loving queen even. Keeping them as anthropomorphized grey goo would both be way better and completely impossible to write. So basically, the Borg are better when they aren't there. I think Voyager actually did some stuff where they're in Borg space but just make a deal out of avoiding them?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

CharlestheHammer posted:

What thing in history are we talking about. Because there has never been a ban on something that’s been enforced in any realistic way.

Any event that would make the Federation Council say "Hurm can we quickload because we didn't like that outcome." E.g., Wolf 359 or the entire Dominion War. You ban time travel because the temptation to continue to travel back in time to try to fix the situation would just end up like VOY Year of Hell where Boddiker kept trying to find the one factor that would properly reset the timeline but paradoxically every change steers you further away the timeline you're trying to get back to.

At least in Yesterday's Enterprise, War Picard had the idea from Guinan that time wasn't the way it was supposed to be and that's because a temporal rift appears with the Enterprise-C. So he gambled on loving around with time and it worked out.

But the idea that Discovery S3 is dumb because they didn't use time travel to prevent an event is silly because like someone said above, you could make the argument that DS9 is dumb because the Federation didn't use time travel to prevent the Dominion War.

V-Men fucked around with this message at 11:22 on Apr 5, 2021

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Time travel always ends up dumb for pretty much that reason. But I guess Doctor Who actually had a good idea with "fixed points in time" that can't be changed. Just stick the Burn, Dominion war, Wolf 359 and lizard Spot in that bucket so anything they do can't actually change poo poo.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There was also always the sense that the 24th century Federation had some basic time travel ability but didn't really know how the timestream really worked or what would happen or if changing specific things would stop them existing or branch a timeline or cause a paradox or whatever the many different outcomes that seem to be possible.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

V-Men posted:

Any event that would make the Federation Council say "Hurm can we quickload because we didn't like that outcome." E.g., Wolf 359 or the entire Dominion War. You ban time travel because the temptation to continue to travel back in time to try to fix the situation would just end up like VOY Year of Hell where Boddiker kept trying to find the one factor that would properly reset the timeline but paradoxically every change steers you further away the timeline you're trying to get back to.

At least in Yesterday's Enterprise, War Picard had the idea from Guinan that time wasn't the way it was supposed to be and that's because a temporal rift appears with the Enterprise-C. So he gambled on loving around with time and it worked out.

But the idea that Discovery S3 is dumb because they didn't use time travel to prevent an event is silly because like someone said above, you could make the argument that DS9 is dumb because the Federation didn't use time travel to prevent the Dominion War.

The Dominion war didn't blow up every warp ship in the entire galaxy, making the number of people interested in going back in time far greater. Also Time travel technology wasn't as widespread. Hell a simple way to make the Emerald Chain seem imposing as they were without "they win because capitalism and slave labor(in a galaxy full of mining holograms and robots) was to have them use their own questionable morals to send a warning back in time to themselves to prep for the burn.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Gonz posted:

42 years from today, a Vulcan scout ship lands in Bozeman, Montana after noticing a warp signature, and Dr. Zefram Cochrane regales them with doo-wop jukebox music and hard liquor.

Happy First Contact Day, everybody.

Unless, of course, he blows them away with a shotgun.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Or you just set extremely rigid rules for how to do the time reset. Like... If you can't figure out what caused the problem and how to solve it within a few days, there is no do over.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

After the 7of9 has to help the future federation unfuck that one incident and them saying Janeway is extremely reckless with the timeline To the point it drove the guy trying to fix her poo poo insane I can see them putting up more legislation yeah.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Seeing a future that you don't want to happen and stopping it from happening is pretty much a Trek rite of passage. Admittedly, the solution usually involves you dying (Picard, Janeway, O'Brien, Jake, Molly, Seven, Harry [twice]...)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shyrka
Feb 10, 2005

Small Boss likes to spin!
Who says the temporal police only police things going backwards? Maybe some 32nd century dude tries to mess with time to stop the Burn only to get his poo poo wrecked by 29th century timecops.

Actually that's kind of a cool idea for a faction. Some remnant Iconian Timecop division that shows up randomly to gently caress with poo poo and don't care that their civilization is long dead because they're committed to policing the overall timeline.