Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

spacemang_spliff posted:

I missed the big thread on china's actions against the uyghur community, but it seems the opinion of everyone outside of cspam is that questioning the sources of a lot of the claims of genocide (eg western countries with an antagonistic relationship with china and the victims of communism foundation) is in itself genocide denial. That seems problematic to me.

Like I'm not saying it's impossible for me to believe it or that I'm taking the chinese govts word, like I have no ideological issue with accepting that it's happening.
Am I being crazy here?

To be clear I'm not saying I for sure know it's not happening. I don't know what to make of the situation and whatever is happening seems bad

Don't forget that NIKE, and a whole host of other corporations, are using literal slave cotton from China.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...dbescIXyJbg42uo

https://www.businessoffashion.com/n...8HW7dhuaLOERDjU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Stringent posted:

You're sealioning. You don't care about concentration camps in the US, and you don't care about the welfare of immigrants being held in detention centers. You only bring them up to create a sense of equivalence. 'Hey look, the US does this as well, so that makes it fine, especially since nobody in the west criticises them for that!'
You don't bring it up out of a sense of moral superiority. You bring it up to create a sense of moral nullification. The message you're trying to convey is 'It is terrible, but so is everything, there is no moral high ground'.

And this is where the conversation gets lost. Because some posters see genocide happening, irrefutable, plain, simple genocide, and they feel a sense of moral disgust. And some other posters see genocide happen, but they don't have the same sense of disgust. The morality of the situation isn't something that gets factored into their thinking. And really, at the heart of it, the reality of the matter doesn't really matter to those posters either. Somehow, they've detached themselves not just from their sense of human decency, but also from needing truth. Everything is unclear, anything is untrue, even what my side says is lies, but everybody else lies too. The truth, base reality, doesn't matter. Nobody knows what it is, so it doesn't matter. It's unclear. Is there any solid, irrefutable proof either way? It could be the Uighurs genociding themselves out of spite for all we know. Let's talk about how talking about Uighur genocide is western hypocrisy instead.

And that is what you just don't get. You've somehow in your mind de-personed not just the Uighurs being genocided, and the immigrants in detention at the US border, but every human being who has ever had to face state persecution. The bureaucratic hum-drummery with which it is enacted somehow legitimizes it in your eyes, and turns it all into great game politics. It is as if you read The Trial by Kafka and concluded that the system is the hero.
You come here to spew this filth and 'muddy the waters', because you have no understanding of why people are disgusted and enraged at genocide. You don't care about it. It's just a thing that happens, part of how the system works, and 'right and wrong' don't make any sense when it comes to national strategy, because hey, the world is a rough place, right?

This is also where that tone-deaf propaganda on twitter comes from. People are supposed to see it and go 'oh yes that looks like cotton picking in the antebellum south, but a bit better, so we should shut up otherwise we'll look like hypocrites because when we did that, we did it worse'. Instead, they go 'that was terrible and morally wrong when we did it, and it is morally wrong now, when someone else does it'. The propaganda isn't supposed to placate you by telling you 'there is no genocide, the Uighurs are happy'. It's supposed to placate you by telling you 'we're doing what you did, but we're doing it more nicely'.

Lol

Perfect

In

Every

Way

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I hope whatever post that was actually replying to provided a linkage for those paragraphs because that is incoherent otherwise

Often Abbreviated
Dec 19, 2017

1st Severia Tank Brigade
"Ghosts of Honcharivske"
I'll admit that one had me going

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

Sure there is a lot of problems in the US but DID YOU KNOW that china is bad?

So instead of trying to make american society good, we need to bomb China

It's the right thing to do

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Egg Moron posted:

Lol

Perfect

In

Every

Way

ikr?

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Stringent posted:

You're sealioning. You don't care about concentration camps in the US, and you don't care about the welfare of immigrants being held in detention centers. You only bring them up to create a sense of equivalence. 'Hey look, the US does this as well, so that makes it fine, especially since nobody in the west criticises them for that!'
You don't bring it up out of a sense of moral superiority. You bring it up to create a sense of moral nullification. The message you're trying to convey is 'It is terrible, but so is everything, there is no moral high ground'.

And this is where the conversation gets lost. Because some posters see genocide happening, irrefutable, plain, simple genocide, and they feel a sense of moral disgust. And some other posters see genocide happen, but they don't have the same sense of disgust. The morality of the situation isn't something that gets factored into their thinking. And really, at the heart of it, the reality of the matter doesn't really matter to those posters either. Somehow, they've detached themselves not just from their sense of human decency, but also from needing truth. Everything is unclear, anything is untrue, even what my side says is lies, but everybody else lies too. The truth, base reality, doesn't matter. Nobody knows what it is, so it doesn't matter. It's unclear. Is there any solid, irrefutable proof either way? It could be the Uighurs genociding themselves out of spite for all we know. Let's talk about how talking about Uighur genocide is western hypocrisy instead.

And that is what you just don't get. You've somehow in your mind de-personed not just the Uighurs being genocided, and the immigrants in detention at the US border, but every human being who has ever had to face state persecution. The bureaucratic hum-drummery with which it is enacted somehow legitimizes it in your eyes, and turns it all into great game politics. It is as if you read The Trial by Kafka and concluded that the system is the hero.
You come here to spew this filth and 'muddy the waters', because you have no understanding of why people are disgusted and enraged at genocide. You don't care about it. It's just a thing that happens, part of how the system works, and 'right and wrong' don't make any sense when it comes to national strategy, because hey, the world is a rough place, right?

This is also where that tone-deaf propaganda on twitter comes from. People are supposed to see it and go 'oh yes that looks like cotton picking in the antebellum south, but a bit better, so we should shut up otherwise we'll look like hypocrites because when we did that, we did it worse'. Instead, they go 'that was terrible and morally wrong when we did it, and it is morally wrong now, when someone else does it'. The propaganda isn't supposed to placate you by telling you 'there is no genocide, the Uighurs are happy'. It's supposed to placate you by telling you 'we're doing what you did, but we're doing it more nicely'.

:discourse:

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

The Chinese are the real racists

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
Pat Robertson page

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

spacetoaster posted:

Don't forget that NIKE, and a whole host of other corporations, are using literal slave cotton from China.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/...dbescIXyJbg42uo

https://www.businessoffashion.com/n...8HW7dhuaLOERDjU

neither of these articles actually say anything regarding the substance of the slavery allegations theyre just describing chinese and corporate responses to them

which has indeed been a very effective way to convince people that the slavery is already proven and youre basically hitler for wanting to look at the receipts

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

can't spell "sealion" without "OAN lies"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Egg Moron posted:

The Chinese are the real racists

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Egg Moron posted:

the plight in yemen is as at least as bad as the worst descriptions of what china's doing in xinjiang and the US actually has influence over the Saudis, yet here we are

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Look, fat, here's the fact, Kulak!

Excelzior posted:

*Winston Churchill pulls at his collar a bit*

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

Excelzior posted:

ironically you can spell sea lion without "c"

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
the C in CSPAM stands for Sealion

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

that guy is so loving stupid. the first time I’ve ever seen a post by him was yesterday and I already hate him

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

Falstaff
Apr 27, 2008

I have a kind of alacrity in sinking.

a Loving Dog posted:

that guy is so loving stupid. the first time I’ve ever seen a post by him was yesterday and I already hate him

He's single-handedly killed threads because of his terminal lib brain, it's honestly kind of sad.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Egg Moron posted:

we must do a genocide against China to save China from genocide.

a Loving Dog posted:

I first saw him in the dumbass thread about youtube reviewers and poo poo and he kept defending a guy who's infamous in it for being an insane eugenics supporter who constantly screams about how the drat rural poor are keeping him from having a flying car while writing bad books about how super mario changed his life.

So what I'm saying is seeing he's Like This was the least surprising thing for me.

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle

sexpig by night posted:

I first saw him in the dumbass thread about youtube reviewers and poo poo and he kept defending a guy who's infamous in it for being an insane eugenics supporter who constantly screams about how the drat rural poor are keeping him from having a flying car while writing bad books about how super mario changed his life.

there's multiple youtube personalities that this could describe lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

spacemang_spliff posted:

the C in CSPAM stands for Sealion

I would almost go so far as to say that alarmist, adversarial left-wing politics posting might be new SA's most defining characteristic.

a Loving Dog
May 12, 2001

more like a Barking Dog, woof!

sexpig by night posted:

we must do a genocide against China to save China from genocide.

So what I'm saying is seeing he's Like This was the least surprising thing for me.

has to be moviebob, I’m guessing

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
I'ts me actually. Mario Lopez changed my life

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spacemang_spliff posted:

there's multiple youtube personalities that this could describe lol

a Loving Dog posted:

has to be moviebob, I’m guessing

oh you know it was, baby!

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'ts me actually. Mario Lopez changed my life

I would NEVER mock someone for loving Mario Lopez :colbert:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
what i dont get is why he thinks this idea makes sense but making reports public will destroy the forums because of cspams burning obsession with their posting enemies

if cspam in aggregate just wants to burn d and d to the ground and is only reigned in by tepid moderation what exactly does he think is going to happen if we elect a senator that were going to pick a sane and sensible person for the role because those are the only ones that would want power

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Some Guy TT posted:

neither of these articles actually say anything regarding the substance of the slavery allegations theyre just describing chinese and corporate responses to them

which has indeed been a very effective way to convince people that the slavery is already proven and youre basically hitler for wanting to look at the receipts

I have a hard time not believing anything negative about corporations. :colbert:

spacemang_spliff
Nov 29, 2014

wide pickle
The barbaric CSPAM poo poo posters are at the door for D&D and the only thing saving them from being overrun by the pagan hordes are the brave, intrepid mods

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
posting on the d&d mod memorial page

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Phone posted:

posting on the d&d mod memorial page

the brightest flames burn out the fastest

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Some Guy TT posted:

what i dont get is why he thinks this idea makes sense but making reports public will destroy the forums because of cspams burning obsession with their posting enemies

if cspam in aggregate just wants to burn d and d to the ground and is only reigned in by tepid moderation what exactly does he think is going to happen if we elect a senator that were going to pick a sane and sensible person for the role because those are the only ones that would want power

look finding out that there is a report limit and that multiple users hit it every day and that it's double digit is hilarious

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Brain Candy posted:

look finding out that there is a report limit and that multiple users hit it every day and that it's double digit is hilarious

it's so loving funny

Cromulent_Chill
Apr 6, 2009

Who reports the reporters

copy
Jul 26, 2007

spacemang_spliff posted:

I just want to see the reports because they're probably funny

Like when we got to see taintrunner reporting people for calling him a landlord lol

Yes this is exactly the loving reason. Imagine if w/e mod hadn't posted that report. Imagine living a life where you laughed a little less that day. loving monstrous.

Also we might get into a situation where if reports are viewable that people start reporting reports and god drat that is just an infinite comedy machine.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Make reports publicly viewable, but anonymous.

Hell, just have the mods make a locked thread where they post the best reports each day.

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

a Loving Dog posted:

They're a massive Movie Bob fan

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

spacemang_spliff posted:

I'ts-a me actually.

Thump!
Nov 25, 2007

spacetoaster posted:

Hell, just have the mods make a locked thread where they post the best reports each day.

Uhhh this just sounds like unsourced quoting which as we all are WELL aware is a grave posting offense and an attempt to own your lib posting enemies, a crime comparable with the running of a Holocaust-specific concentration camp. Tut tut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

spacetoaster posted:

:yeah: