Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

GD_American posted:

It did get dark, although not gratuitously so (except one minor scene I found kinda over the top), and the ending to season 2 was essentially one of those well-balanced "if we get more seasons there's more story, if not this is a decent place to end it" ones. It basically wraps up everyones' character arc, while showing that big events were coming for the world(s) as a whole. I think season 2 was actually the much better of the two.

I dropped out in the first episode of the 2nd season where they were killing innocents left and right. That's not dark?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer
Two movies I've recently watched on Netflix

The Platform
95 minutes - Spanish
"A mysterious place, an indescribable prison, a deep hole. An unknown number of levels. Two inmates living on each level. A descending platform containing food for all of them. An inhuman fight for survival, but also an opportunity for solidarity."

Interesting concept. Each month, you get dropped on a random floor number. If you're on one of the top ones, you're in luck. Eat as much as you want! Who cares about the losers below you? Except for the fact that next month, the roles can be reversed.

His House
93 minutes - English
"After making a harrowing escape from war-torn South Sudan, a young refugee couple struggle to adjust to their new life in a small English town that has an unspeakable evil lurking beneath the surface"

Don't go into this thinking it's a big horror movie. Yes, there are some scares, but it's also about the scariest thing of all: humanity in general.

Turambar fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Apr 5, 2021

Jolo
Jun 4, 2007

ive been playing with magnuts tying to change the wold as we know it

Netflix on PS4 has a screensaver thing where it displays a movie or show and then will list 2-3 things describing it underneath.

Wheel of Fortune was something like: "Game Show" "Family" "Cerebral"

You use your brain, but Cerebral is definitely not how I'd describe Wheel of Fortune.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

I enjoyed the Netflix screensaver for The Promised Neverland pairing an image of smiling cartoon children with descriptors like "Dark" and "Disturbing"

h3r0n
Dec 22, 2005

Has anyone watched Calls? It *seemed* like a good idea until watching it. The wife and I couldn't finish the first episode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calls_(TV_series)

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Late Fees posted:

I enjoyed the Netflix screensaver for The Promised Neverland pairing an image of smiling cartoon children with descriptors like "Dark" and "Disturbing"

That's actually accurate, though. Like it ruins the "surprise" I guess but tonal gotchas like that are always stupid, and it holds out suspense for all of, like, half an episode. Or more like 30 seconds if you stop and ask yourself "huh, why do they have numbers tattoo'd on their necks?"

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Jolo posted:

Netflix on PS4 has a screensaver thing where it displays a movie or show and then will list 2-3 things describing it underneath.

Wheel of Fortune was something like: "Game Show" "Family" "Cerebral"

You use your brain, but Cerebral is definitely not how I'd describe Wheel of Fortune.

Is the screensaver a new feature? I noticed it the other day on the smart TV, hadn't seen it before.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Desperado Bones posted:

Is the screensaver a new feature? I noticed it the other day on the smart TV, hadn't seen it before.

Nah, mine's done it forever.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Or more like 30 seconds if you stop and ask yourself "huh, why do they have numbers tattoo'd on their necks?"

It's a tik tok hype house?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I found it hard to root for anyone in I Care Alot, and not in a Uncut Gems way. It was just a movie with terrible human beings who you're supposed to root for. I do not reccomend it.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Hey let's fire up Amazon Prime Video and find us a heart-thumping, pulse-pounding, action thrill ride!

I don't have an example available, but I've seen it put obviously fictional movies in the "Documentaries" category.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Empress Brosephine posted:

I found it hard to root for anyone in I Care Alot, and not in a Uncut Gems way. It was just a movie with terrible human beings who you're supposed to root for. I do not reccomend it.

This is why I haven't watched it. I can't imagine that being a pleasant experience. Which exploiter do I want to win, the bad one I hate or the worse one I really hate? Even if the bad one turns it around and has a change of heart I don't want to root for her after knowing how much human suffering she caused.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
You root for Dianne Wiest by default because she's amazing in everything she's in.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Watched Concrete Cowboy and it's very ok. I mean it's endearing but it also plays it aggressively safe. Kind of a enjoy and forget deal.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Nihonniboku posted:

You root for Dianne Wiest by default because she's amazing in everything she's in.

That's true. Everything else about the movie is bleh though imho.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I watched Limitless on HBO. Whoever wrote it is obviously an immense douche. The absolutely douchiest ending of a story in a while.

The movie goes out of its way to make sure there isn't any consequences for its frankly rear end in a top hat protagonist, in a way, that feels like a middle aged coke sniffing rear end in a top hat writer power fantasy.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.

Sand Monster posted:

I don't have an example available, but I've seen it put obviously fictional movies in the "Documentaries" category.

Just Watch is awful for this. Whenever I want to find a documentary to watch I need to scroll through tons of regular movies that for some reason are tagged as documentary.

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
Remember that great documentary, Skyfall?

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Even just having “documentary” as a category seems silly. This is where Netflix with their dozen hidden categories of documentaries makes sense. Sports vs military vs music vs true crime docs are all very different.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender

MiddleOne posted:

Watched Concrete Cowboy and it's very ok. I mean it's endearing but it also plays it aggressively safe. Kind of a enjoy and forget deal.

Ok is being very generous - it's completely wasting an amazing documentary setup (all the side characters are played by real people who are hella charismatic and have interesting stories to tell) for an boring Barbie Horse Princess story. I guess I might not be the target audience cause I really don't like horses and don't see the appeal at all.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

My parents old landlord(? I think) was the old guy at the end of River Runs Through It, he scared the poo poo out of me once when I was a little kid

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Shageletic posted:

I watched Limitless on HBO. Whoever wrote it is obviously an immense douche. The absolutely douchiest ending of a story in a while.

The movie goes out of its way to make sure there isn't any consequences for its frankly rear end in a top hat protagonist, in a way, that feels like a middle aged coke sniffing rear end in a top hat writer power fantasy.

I kind of liked that it was just straight sci-fi and didn't end with a "You know, maybe being Limited isn't so bad. Love and human connection is the real power." Still a so-so at best movie though.

Strangely enough, the surprisingly okay TV series was pretty comfortable with portraying Cooper's character as scary and amoral at best. He's only "good" because the other people are worse. The otherwise terrible pilot that kneecapped the show also made fun of the "I know Kung Fu" scene in the movie, which was a little funny.

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Apr 6, 2021

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Ted Chiang had a fun short story about a guy who got all big brained that reads like a C++ programmer's scif-fi fantasy. IIRC he starts creating loops of thought in his brain that become sophisticated enough to become semi-autonomous, and he has them focus on stock market manipulation and other stuff so the majority of his consciousness can hone in on interesting things.

Alec Eiffel
Sep 7, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Inspector Hound posted:

My parents old landlord(? I think) was the old guy at the end of River Runs Through It, he scared the poo poo out of me once when I was a little kid

That was your parents’ third.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Heard good things about the Formula 1 show on Netflix. Should I start at season 1 or is each independent?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

smackfu posted:

Heard good things about the Formula 1 show on Netflix. Should I start at season 1 or is each independent?

I would start at 1. It’s not too long, and I think the show gets more fun as you know the teams and racers and understand the drama a bit more.

That said, it doesn’t *really* matter.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mst3k/makemoremst3k
I'm liking 2021 more and more
If this gets the live shows streaming oh boy

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Can we please drop Jonah for someone less obnoxious? Please?

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

doctorfrog posted:

Ted Chiang had a fun short story about a guy who got all big brained that reads like a C++ programmer's scif-fi fantasy. IIRC he starts creating loops of thought in his brain that become sophisticated enough to become semi-autonomous, and he has them focus on stock market manipulation and other stuff so the majority of his consciousness can hone in on interesting things.

this story really blew my hair back and is the best example from the "use 100% of your brain" genre I can think of. much like the early Arrival skeptics, tho, I really don't see how it could be translated to film but I would love to see someone try

e: "understand" is the name of the story

God Hole fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Apr 6, 2021

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I didn't see Limitless, but it sounds like the same concept. They spice it up by adding Genius Kung Fu, sort of like in the Sherlock movies.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

feedmyleg posted:

Can we please drop Jonah for someone less obnoxious? Please?

I really didn't care for the Netflix seasons at all. The movie selection was amazing, so credit where it's due. The jokes were bad, the host segments were bad, Jonah is bad. I don't know what it was about the creative process for those two seasons, but it was bad. Every skit in S11 was based around some lovely laser cut wood thing. The weird bubble-vision or whatever they called it to hide the scene cuts and seams was dumb.

Let it go, Joel. Rifftrax already has you covered for making jokes about bad movies. Their stuff is funny and the business model is reasonable.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
It's the scope and scale. The original run of MST3K was great because it felt like (/was) a public access show with limited resources which had to make up for it with a lot of creativity. The Comedy Central version was able to mostly maintain that scrappy/DIY feel. The more polished it gets the less interesting it gets. The Netflix version has very much felt like a manufactured product in comparison to either previous run.

I don't think you can really put the djini back into the bottle on this one. Hopefully some broke creative kids on YouTube will do their own spin on a similar concept at some point. If I was 16 right now I'd be mining archive.org for nonsense I could build puppet sketches around.

It feels kind of the The Chris Gethard Show's arc. That was an underground stage show that moved to public access and was super weird and raw and special for 100-something episodes. Then it got two different TV versions and they both just felt too slick and overproduced and over-thought-out and the magic wasn't there.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Imagine if like Mr. Show was revived by Hulu or whatever. Demonic.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

feedmyleg posted:

It's the scope and scale. The original run of MST3K was great because it felt like (/was) a public access show with limited resources which had to make up for it with a lot of creativity. The Comedy Central version was able to mostly maintain that scrappy/DIY feel. The more polished it gets the less interesting it gets. The Netflix version has very much felt like a manufactured product in comparison to either previous run.

A few years back I tried watching some of the older episodes of MST3K when they started showing up on YouTube, and they really didn't hold my interest the way they did when I was 13. I tried watching the Netflix run and it was a big "nope" for me.

I will say that I really do miss the outsider art that was public access television.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
W/ Bob and David wasn't bad but it certainly wasn't anything to write home about.

Iron Crowned posted:

A few years back I tried watching some of the older episodes of MST3K when they started showing up on YouTube, and they really didn't hold my interest the way they did when I was 13. I tried watching the Netflix run and it was a big "nope" for me.

I will say that I really do miss the outsider art that was public access television.

MST3K is way more hit or miss for me these days. It works when I'm in a mood to watch an old monster movie but don't have the patience to sit through a lesser film and just kinda wanna zone out. Higjly recommend watching them stoned as an adult.

And yeah, there's nothing quite like public access these days. Some folks do Twitch shows that have a bit of that vibe, but it's not the same.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 6, 2021

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL

feedmyleg posted:

It feels kind of the The Chris Gethard Show's arc. That was an underground stage show that moved to public access and was super weird and raw and special for 100-something episodes. Then it got two different TV versions and they both just felt too slick and overproduced and over-thought-out and the magic wasn't there.

Ah, so basically the plot of Wayne's World

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I mean, Gethard did marry his Cassandra equivalent.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

The Dumpster episode of TCGS is an all time great, along with some of the last season. There were plenty of stinkers on public access too.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
🕺My name's Michael Shannon and I'm here to say
There are bugs in my blood and my DNA! 🕺

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BisterdDave
Apr 21, 2004

Slitzweitz!
Finally watched Dumb: The Story of Big Brother Magazine, it was great to see how that all started. Most of my teens were shaped by Jackass and late 90s skateboarding, and I remember hearing Big Brother mentioned back then, but never really knew anything about it.