Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Ccs posted:

Watched the first episode of Invincible. Very true to the comic. Gore isn’t much beyond big blood splatters but the sound effects make them more disturbing I guess.

??

You did see the fight at the end? Or did you stop it the second the credits came on. Because if that's what you're describing as not much beyond blood splatters....Yeesh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
I don't think there's a trailer yet, but they're adapting "The Long Halloween" now. It's my favorite Batman story, and I know 90% of these DTV movies have been awful but...maybe this one will be okay?

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

stratdax posted:

??

You did see the fight at the end? Or did you stop it the second the credits came on. Because if that's what you're describing as not much beyond blood splatters....Yeesh.

There was some crunching sound effects but otherwise it’s just like a bunch of garish red coming out of everyone. I dunno, I watched stuff like Dorohedoro on Netflix recently which is a cartoon that goes way harder with the gore.

Nanigans posted:

I don't think there's a trailer yet, but they're adapting "The Long Halloween" now. It's my favorite Batman story, and I know 90% of these DTV movies have been awful but...maybe this one will be okay?

Oh god I want this to be good so badly but I recently watched hbomberguys discussion of the animated Killing Joke and it reminded me the people adapting these things have no goddamn idea what they’re doing.
His video is an excellent overview of all the reasons it didn’t work: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRDiUD1a8c

Ccs fucked around with this message at 18:36 on Apr 2, 2021

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Ccs posted:

Oh god I want this to be good so badly but I recently watched hbomberguys discussion of the animated Killing Joke and it reminded me the people adapting these things have no goddamn idea what they’re doing.
His video is an excellent overview of all the reasons it didn’t work: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4xRDiUD1a8c

Imagine deciding we needed a bizarre tangent on how Barbara slept with Bruce and it being very gross and weird. I can't imagine who would have thought that was a good idea.

Bruce Timm.

It was Bruce Timm.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Nanigans posted:

How was the adaptation of HUSH?

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

The United States posted:

How was the adaptation of HUSH?

I was going to ask about this, too.

Also, Rise of the Supermen.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

The thing with Long Halloween is we already have a wonderful example of how it could be brought to life in animation, with the heavy black shadows of Tim Sale’s art intact. If they went with this kind of style:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ox73d17Sv8

Actually this is an even better clip. Some the dialogue isn’t great but the music and style is totally on point:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=qkwDCV41zN8

But that’s probably not going to happen. Instead we’re going to be getting a very watered down version, outsourced to one of the second rate studios that DC uses for their animated direct to video projects.

So we'll probably never get imagery as powerful as this which was one of the main strengths of The Long Halloween. The tone Sale’s art created was incredible.

Ccs fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Apr 3, 2021

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://twitter.com/mrfeelswildride/status/1378629381292101633?s=21

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Cuck Injection sounds like the name of a Crust Punk band or something

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Is that something from invincible

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

site posted:

Is that something from invincible

Justice League Unlimited.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Lol wtf

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

site posted:

Lol wtf

It is the explanation for Batman Beyond. Amanda Waller wanted to create next generation Batman so she had Terry McGinnis' dad injected with a formula that replaced his reproductive DNA with that of Bruce Wayne. Then she hired the Phantasm to kill Terry's parents to give him that Batman push but Phantasm refused to do it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I don't even how how to process something that insane

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It’s such a bizarre turn for a brilliant series. It even has the nice set up of going to make Waller confess her sins and she reveals... that.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the part of Waller's plan that hinged on hiring Bruce Wayne's ex fiancee, who had not been seen, heard from, or referenced in years at that point, to murder two people in front of their son was almost weirder than the part of Waller's plan that hinged on genetically altering some guy's balls to make Bruce Wayne sperm, but only almost

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Imagine if she hadn't worked out the bit about DNA replacement and just spent a lot of work making sure that Bruce Wayne had women in his life to build a loving relationship with and then she sabotaged their birth control.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Plus she never explains why Terry ended up becoming Spiderman instead of Batman after all that.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

SlothfulCobra posted:

Imagine if she hadn't worked out the bit about DNA replacement and just spent a lot of work making sure that Bruce Wayne had women in his life to build a loving relationship with and then she sabotaged their birth control.

"I punctured all his condoms, but sadly, all they did was gather dust in his wallet."

Nanigans
Aug 31, 2005

~Waku Waku~
Yeah, the Phantasm wasn't some assassin for hire. She specifically only picked off people who wronged her and her dad. Why Waller ever thought she'd agree to do this is an actual plot hole. The rest is just...bad writing. Rey Palpatine bad.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

So wait, did Terry's dad sign up for this? Did he know he'd get mutated to shoot Batman's cum, or did Waller just tell him he was getting a flu shot?

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Nanigans posted:

At the very least, they're doing it as a two parter, so it's getting time to breath.

It's been a long time since The Dark Knight Returns and Year One, but those were fine adaptations, so I'm going to cross my fingers and hold out hope that this is more like those.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

amigolupus posted:

So wait, did Terry's dad sign up for this? Did he know he'd get mutated to shoot Batman's cum, or did Waller just tell him he was getting a flu shot?

Waller didn't tell him anything, he was just a guy who "matched a psychological profile" or something who thought he was getting a regular inoculation. I haven't watched it in ages but I feel like Waller did this to more than one guy, too, but I could be wrong.

her plan required somebody to kill Terry's parents in front of him so as to fully create a Batman but Waller for some reason hired the Phantasm, who had previously only killed guys who screwed over her dad, and she refused to do it. If I'm at gunpoint writing this while Bruce Timm stares down the sights at me I'm slotting like Deadshot or Captain Boomerang in there and having them do the exact same thing so Waller can really feel like poo poo about it. luckily for her somebody else killed Terry's dad and Terry happened to find the Batcave and become Spider-Man anyway though, so who can really say if her plan was very stupid

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

Plus she never explains why Terry ended up becoming Spiderman instead of Batman after all that.
Thanks to his upbringing he wasn't a big enough rear end in a top hat, thus proving nurture > nature.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I like that this was a plot point in Return of the Joker.

That movie was so good.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

amigolupus posted:

Exactly the flu shot one. Here's the whole explanation

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XFMOgIIv0Fs

It's very Amanda Waller to explain all that and then subtly call herself an instrument of God.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

What if the COVID vaccine is to make us make Batmans

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Now, I'm imagining a situation where the entire plan failed, because Terry's dad got the flu and died due to never actually getting the flu shot.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
nvm

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

IShallRiseAgain posted:

Now, I'm imagining a situation where the entire plan failed, because Terry's dad got the flu and died due to never actually getting the flu shot.

Terry bleeding out in a future chair, vowing, "father, I shall become a vax," then jingling a little bell

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

TwoPair posted:

It's very Amanda Waller to explain all that and then subtly call herself an instrument of God.

I forgot the part where not only did she hire an assassin that would obviously not do the job, she loving told her that the only time to kill the parents had to be after seeing a loving revenge hero movie. And she just loving walks behind waving her knife for a minute before backing down. It's amazing how much of this sequence is almost on par with Bruce Nut Juice Injection. :allears:

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

RIP Dwayne McDuffie. Not his finest writing....

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I like that somehow this was her plan because as mentioned spending a decade or so to get Batman laid and have a kid was too hard. It could have been its own episode. “I tried my best...but Batman loved the night more than women. I’ll get you next time, Batman!!!”

Waller also mentions that while Terry may be physically similar to Bruce, he isn’t nearly as smart and lacked Batman’s brain.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The episode also mentioned the time were Waller really got her respect of him, which was a great sequence.

Funny enough despite Waller giving up on the plan after the assassin refused to do the murder, and no longer getting involved with Terry or his parent's life. She did actually ruin the McGinnis' marriage with her meddling.

Warren wondered why both his first son, and then his second son had black hair ,despite both him and his wife being red heads, and did not really resemble him at all, and could only really come to the conclusion that she had been having an affair.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Apr 5, 2021

Jagermonster
May 7, 2005

Hey - NIZE HAT!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The episode also mentioned the time were Waller really got her respect of him, which was a great sequence.

Funny enough despite Waller giving up on the plan after the assassin refused to do the murder, and no longer getting involved with Terry or his parent's life. She did actually ruin the McGinnis' marriage with her meddling.

Warren wondered why both his first son, and then his second son had black hair ,despite both him and his wife being red heads, and did not really resemble him at all, and could only really come to the conclusion that she had been having an affair.

Oh man that’s the same episode as the extremely well done and moving Ace/Batman thing. My god what a perfect send off. The highest of highs, the lowest of lows.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

Wait did they have this idea way back in Batman Beyond or they just designed two parents as redheads and gave their kids both black hair? Unless there was some crazy planning ahead at the start, that is a pretty funny design mistake.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

Isn't that just fanon?

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

TwoPair posted:

Holy poo poo, I forgot how much this entire scene was just Waller :jerkbag:-ing over how Bruce is the smartest, bestest, specialest dude who ever lived. It makes the entire thing even more obnoxious than it already is. I do find it kind of amusing how Waller sounds like a religious fundie at the end there.

Honestly, the only way they could have made this scene work was if Waller was just a senile, religious fundie Waller raving about how Batman was the avenging angel of God and how her stupid plan was doing God's will, and Terry just nopes out of the room.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Ccs posted:

Wait did they have this idea way back in Batman Beyond or they just designed two parents as redheads and gave their kids both black hair? Unless there was some crazy planning ahead at the start, that is a pretty funny design mistake.

There are some oblique hints in the second season that are maybe meant to keep a door open to that story, but the character designs are probably happenstance. If anyone pointed it out, they’d probably have just said that women commonly dye their hair and maybe in the future, men do too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

It's probably just a coincidence and not anything they really meant to hint at.

Tuxedo Mask, staring into space as the realization hits him: "Wait a minute...neither I nor Sailor Moon have pink hair...something's not right here..." :v: