Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
I had a vegetarian pasta one that was pretty good, can't remember the exact menu name.

Posting the photos of that omelette without a trigger warning in this sub rightly get you a probation

I saw some post mentioning a "cold ditch" in a tent in the CE thread during chat about arctic survival training. I figure this would be a good place to ask, what's that? Is it a ditch dug in your shelter for cooler air to pool into? Moisture? Does it work?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I just read someones account on eating the Chili Mac and then going into a gas chamber. That person really loved the chili mac. I looked up the recipe and will scale it down and try it this weekend.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

The best meal I had during my conscript year was the frozen pizza the cooks fixed up for lunch one Sunday in Crete while I was on duty, hungover as poo poo. The cooks came back to the boat after we did :v:

NATO deployments to the Mediterranean in the mid 00's were rough.

The worst? Whatever we had for lunch in the North of Norway a few months later, just before a mandatory, on-shore 2 mile run. I don't remember what it was, only that it wanted to get out again, mid-run, in a bloody hurry.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Best food on the ship was the Sunday Morning Omelette station.

Until they decided it was too popular and cancelled it. Assholes.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
Best - whatever I had on redeployment from Timor. The food on the plane was probably sufficient.
Worst - anything I ate in TImor

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.
Best meal was usually whatever was served hot in the canteen after a week or two in the field.

The worst - the absolute worst - was canned veal hearts in cream. Eaten cold. And warm. It was BAD at any temperature. You could taste it for days afterwards. In fact, I'm tasting it right now and I haven't eaten it for 23 years. Bleh.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Omelets were the one thing that was never ever bad in the Navy.

Butter Activities fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Mar 20, 2021

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Omelets were the one thing that was never ever bad in the Navy.

Y'all didn't get bacon pancakes on Sundays? :smith:

Meshka
Nov 27, 2016

Wibla posted:

Y'all didn't get bacon pancakes on Sundays? :smith:

In USCG, we had daily omelets, daily diverse breakfast, Sunday Lobster and steak when underway, and 24/7 open galley for leftovers. If they took the omelettes away, people would have been pissed.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

Mzuri posted:

Best meal was usually whatever was served hot in the canteen after a week or two in the field.

The worst - the absolute worst - was canned veal hearts in cream. Eaten cold. And warm. It was BAD at any temperature. You could taste it for days afterwards. In fact, I'm tasting it right now and I haven't eaten it for 23 years. Bleh.

That sounds like it just tasted like an Iron pill with left over dairy.

Mzuri
Jun 5, 2004

Who's the boss?
Dudes is lost.
Don't think coz I'm iced out,
I'm cooled off.

stinkypete posted:

That sounds like it just tasted like an Iron pill with left over dairy.

Add a large pinch of acid reflux taste (and feeling) and you're getting close.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Meshka posted:

In USCG, we had daily omelets, daily diverse breakfast, Sunday Lobster and steak when underway, and 24/7 open galley for leftovers. If they took the omelettes away, people would have been pissed.

It was A Thing. CO had to jump in and say it was his decision or there would have been some drama.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

I made the Chili Mac and it was OK kinda like a Tex Mex taste. So to simulate it sitting around I placed a heating pad into a cooler for 2 hours. I was afraid fo leaving it longer for fear of catching home grown food poisoning. It was softer when it sat around for 2 hours versus fresh and surprising tasted better when the flavors did some sort of StarTrek mind meld in that 2 hours.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

look first sergeant i don't care if it comes in bags the field chow is NOT sous vide

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Chili improves in flavor the older it gets, that’s why the best time to serve it is the day after it’s first cooked.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

we were living out of one of of the larger bases for two weeks while our squad guarded engineers, and the chowhall had a section that served Indian food for the civilian workers from India and it was really loving good.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

So I did not get sick from my experiment.

StinkyPete,

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

are you 100% sure on that?

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

What is a soldier but a miserable pile of eaten cats and strange language?
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finnish-army-simulator#/

So some folks are making a game about the Finnish conscript service, in the style of My Summer Car.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Speaking of, My Summer Car has been complete for about a year and is the best Finnish teen summer simulator ever.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Ataxerxes posted:

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/finnish-army-simulator#/

So some folks are making a game about the Finnish conscript service, in the style of My Summer Car.

Holy Hell, one of the pre-order bonuses is a 12-pack of cheap beer.

A story from my father's conscription in the Heer:

95% of the soldiers at the base where his unit was stationed went home at night, or at least on the weekend. If you didn't, it stood out. Enter Hans. Hans was from a village five hours away; no friends, no family. While he seemed content to live in the barracks and eat at the enlisted canteen, he was obviously drinking far more than the enlisted canteen would sell him. Que my father's superior asking him to find Hans to drive an M113 down the road, with my father as a ground guide. Dad found him alright. Totally drunk at 1000.

"Hey, I can't do that."
"WHAT?! It was an order. Why not?"
"Have you seen him today? I'm not walking in front of the track if he's driving."
"Where is he?"
Twenty minutes later...
Herr Hauptmann is ground guide and has to physically stop Hans from driving.
"Ah. You did tell me, didn't you? Can you drive the vehicle?"
"I can drive the Illtis and the van."
"Fine!"
Whereupon the M113 sat right there, blocking traffic, for the rest of the day.

I gather drunkenness in the Bundeswehr only got worse until conscription ended.

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

Also, trailer for that game here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CGHXeQz6gI

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Backing the poo poo out of that

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

madeintaipei posted:

Holy Hell, one of the pre-order bonuses is a 12-pack of cheap beer.

A story from my father's conscription in the Heer:

95% of the soldiers at the base where his unit was stationed went home at night, or at least on the weekend. If you didn't, it stood out. Enter Hans. Hans was from a village five hours away; no friends, no family. While he seemed content to live in the barracks and eat at the enlisted canteen, he was obviously drinking far more than the enlisted canteen would sell him. Que my father's superior asking him to find Hans to drive an M113 down the road, with my father as a ground guide. Dad found him alright. Totally drunk at 1000.

"Hey, I can't do that."
"WHAT?! It was an order. Why not?"
"Have you seen him today? I'm not walking in front of the track if he's driving."
"Where is he?"
Twenty minutes later...
Herr Hauptmann is ground guide and has to physically stop Hans from driving.
"Ah. You did tell me, didn't you? Can you drive the vehicle?"
"I can drive the Illtis and the van."
"Fine!"
Whereupon the M113 sat right there, blocking traffic, for the rest of the day.

I gather drunkenness in the Bundeswehr only got worse until conscription ended.

Fridays were amazing. There were special notes on the departure board at the train station "Besonders geeignet für Familienheimfahrten der Bundeswehr" next to the trains that you could use with your conscript ticket so that normies could avoid the carnage. Jam-packed with drunk young males chugging beers, listening to boomboxes and generally being nuisances sitting on their sea bags in the aisles. Sort of a Reply of the Zaporozhian Cossacks ambiance, minus any actual letters being written.

aphid_licker fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Apr 20, 2021

Ataxerxes
Dec 2, 2011

So getting back to this after a while. The Finnish defence force was found as a strange mix of Swedish/Russian/German traditions and influences and some of it shows even today. The whole thing about drilling in a three-sided square, hot food being almost always available, even in the woods (thanks to towable field kitchens, I think the Germans had ones called goulash-kanone?), taking the terms for senior sergeants from Swedish/German/Russian (vääpeli from feldwebel, instead of master sergeant or sergeant major). And early FDF had a truly spectacular mix of gear from just about every nation that ever made weapons. Less random nowadays, but for example back in the 90's/early 2000's the FDF operated Soviet/DDR tanks and apc's along with Hornet fighters.

Also, since material owned by the FDF is usually stamped with a tower logo and the words SA-INT (meaning something like "Finnish Army (Suomen Armeija) - Intendentuurilaitos (material department, but the word is super archaic) the tower is kinda part of Finnish slang. Rumours of dubious nature you hear in the service? Tower rumours. Unspecified faffing around for seemingly for no purpose? Tower business. And that logo also serves to tell apart actual property of the FDF and copies made for civilian use. Makes it easier to tell in some cases (but not all, quite a bit of older gear has been sold off) if people are selling things stolen from the FDF. Also, Finnish gun laws are quite strict and you pretty much can't legally own the RK-62 or RK-95 rifles, at least not the ones capable of full auto fire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

....that's pretty similar to gun laws in most US states.