Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
trying not to overreact 3 games in but i’m way more concerned about the white sox than i was this winter, and think if Ohtani can stay healthy LAA will compete for their division.

Still lean towards HOU as the favorites there. in the Central, Berrios surprised me - if the Twins staff is better than expected they will eke out CWS. The White Sox are just not built to endure an Eloy injury and I don’t trust TLR to skillfully manage that (on paper, quite good) bullpen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

I am cautiously optimistic about the Astros this year. I think they're gonna be a top 5 team in baseball.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not to mention that down 1 in the 8th he let BHamilton bat. I guess I don't know who was available for defense, but oopf. Without an error they probably don't even get to the bottom of the 9th and you're letting a career 67 wRC+ hit?

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I am on Google Fi as well and have no idea why more people aren't on it. It's 100% flexible, it's easily the cheapest provider, and the technical support is amazing - you basically never to call and listen to robot voices ever again and they solve your problems on the spot. No contracts at all.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

What's the deal with the 6:40 starts for cubs night games

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

If Ohtani remains healthy all year he's basically a lock for MVP. Not even Trout can compete with how valuable someone of Ohtani's ability is.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

fawning deference posted:

I am on Google Fi as well and have no idea why more people aren't on it. It's 100% flexible, it's easily the cheapest provider, and the technical support is amazing - you basically never to call and listen to robot voices ever again and they solve your problems on the spot. No contracts at all.

I was about to quote this and talk about the pricing, but after looking it up the price seems to have dropped and it would save me $40/mo to switch; I'll definitely look into this.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Is Fi really better than T-Mobile? I'm paying ~90 a month for unlimited data for two phones and the speeds, at least in the PNW where their HQ is, are bloody fantastic.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Kirios posted:

If Ohtani remains healthy all year he's basically a lock for MVP. Not even Trout can compete with how valuable someone of Ohtani's ability is.

Why? Lets say he's a like a 3 WAR hitter which he was his rookie year and Trout is a 7 WAR hitter and a 3-4 WAR pitcher do you just add those up togeher and say he's as valuable as Trout? Maybe MONEY wise he is but he's not adding more to the team in terms of wins even by doing both. Like, it's very cool that he can do both but I'm not clear on how much it adds to the team.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Google fi is slightly more expensive than my plan because I held onto SERO and its evolutions like a vice

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

Kirios posted:

Is Fi really better than T-Mobile? I'm paying ~90 a month for unlimited data for two phones and the speeds, at least in the PNW where their HQ is, are bloody fantastic.

My wife and I pay $40-60/month combined with Google Fi. You just need to plan ahead a little to avoid DLing podcasts without wifi and such. The coverage is great and it all works international.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
i don't think there's a better phone plan out there than t-mobile's veterans thing; $100 a month all-in for 4 lines unlimited everything.

like VA mortgages and whatnot are cool but this is by far the best veterans benefit i've found

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Kirios posted:

The American League discovers pitchers hitting, collectively loses their minds

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

Dude if pitchers could even approach Greinke levels of competency I'd say gently caress the DH forever.

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

R.D. Mangles posted:

What's the deal with the 6:40 starts for cubs night games

I think teams are doing this early in the season before school is out for the year to get bigger audiences?

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

There's a difference between pitchers batting and pitchers hitting.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

when you're gimmicking so hard you forget the Astros were in the NL until like 7 years ago

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I'm really enjoying this week of pretending that the Orioles will be competitive this season. Made for a nice Easter.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

It's funny that people are saying that Othani is a reason for not having a universal DH when he's hitting in a league with a DH.

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

It's funny that people are saying that Othani is a reason for not having a universal DH when he's hitting in a league with a DH.

There shouldn’t be a universal DH because the DH represents a form of unlimited substitution and unlimited substitution doesn’t belong in baseball, individual performances are irrelevant to that.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

AndrewP posted:

I'm really enjoying this week of pretending that the Orioles will be competitive this season. Made for a nice Easter.

:yeah:

I'm eagerly anticipating the crash back down to earth but the last three games were pretty fun which is a pleasant change of pace.

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
Isn't the only reason Ohtani will work is he can DH on his "off" days?

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

There shouldn’t be a universal DH because the DH represents a form of unlimited substitution and unlimited substitution doesn’t belong in baseball, individual performances are irrelevant to that.

Watching pitchers hit sucks. And if there is a pitcher who it doesn't suck watching hit like Othani, he can still hit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Tweezer Reprise posted:

Isn't the only reason Ohtani will work is he can DH on his "off" days?

Yeah, if anything PFC is asking for fewer Ohtani ABs

Tweezer Reprise
Aug 6, 2013

It hasn't got six strings, but it's a lot of fun.
I can't believe PFC doesn't want the best pitcher at hitting to hit more.

Apr 7, 2003

mcmagic posted:

Watching pitchers hit sucks. And if there is a pitcher who it doesn't suck watching hit like Othani, he can still hit.

Watching routine pop flies sucks too, there’s no move to eliminate that.

Unlimited substitution for one position is nonsensical.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

Watching routine pop flies sucks too, there’s no move to eliminate that.

Unlimited substitution to me means that you can take players out of the game and then put them back in, not the DH.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

That's not what the DH is though :confused:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
lmao the Cubs and the Brewers play each other NINE times before April ends wtf is this schedule.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
opening day is finally here y'all

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Admiral Joeslop posted:

My dad watched a lot of baseball when I was younger so I've got some nostalgia and I thought maybe this year I'll try watching some instead of just catching youtube clips of bloopers and insane plays.

I don't have cable, or Sling, or anything like that. I'm also not interested in paying $25 a month to watch a single team or whatever the cheapest MLB.tv option is. I guess my best bet is trying to get in on the sharing option? I checked my blackouts and it's just the Cardinals and Reds it looks like, neither of which I'd be interested in. Padres, Brewers, Pirates, basically any team with an unusual or fun theme like that.
you can share an MLB.tv subscription with 4 other people, bringing the cost down to $26 for the whole season. Works especially well if you're not in the blackout area of the teams you want to watch.

Here is the thread for organizing shares

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Bold prediction: in the long run Ohtani ends up being a .825-.850 OPS guy, good but not great. The Angels having to humor his desire to hit ends up wasting the rest of Trout's career

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Let’s be real, the Angels are going to waste Trout’s entire career regardless of Ohtani’s existence

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels are "wasting Trout's career" by not acquiring/developing a ton more pitchers, both starters and relievers. Humoring Ohtani isn't ever going to be the tipping point for that team.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Sydin posted:

lmao the Cubs and the Brewers play each other NINE times before April ends wtf is this schedule.

https://youtu.be/3F0rPFASUXY

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

The Angels' offense is currently projected to be 8th in MLB by fWAR, while their pitching staff is 14th. They need more and better pitching, as has been the case Trout's entire career.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

7 of the Astros and A's first 10 games are against each other

0-4 start for the A's and now they have to play the Dodgers. Brutal

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
god dammit i was super excited to try and see ohtani pitch in person in KC next week but it looks like the rotation is going to miss us

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

Dang it's at O.co too, if I was fully vaxed I'd absolutely hit up that series. Only a week and change into my first shot though and I don't feel like catching the plague. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Intruder posted:

Dodgers are coming off a 4-game set at Coors so they'll probably struggle to hit a bit in Oakland.