Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

alansmithee posted:

I appreciate that. It's a little outdated, I've talked about redoing it a couple times (drill pretty much disappeared from national consciousness outside of really UK Drill which sounds so different from what it was in the Chicago scene that spawned it I'm really surprised they use that name, trap is still largely around but it evolved and mutated and enough people threw the word around that basically anyone from the south who talks about drugs is called trap, and blogs aren't a thing anymore) but never bothered.

Maybe one day I will redo it but I don't know how much people read those anyways. And besides most of the stuff is still largely relevant outside of maybe swapping out some of the example artists for a bit more contemporary stuff.

FWIW it's a good OP, I just shared it with someone last week who asked me "so like what are the types of rap? I want to learn more"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If you guys do want to reboot the thread at any point just let me know.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Vargatron posted:

I've been on a big new jack swing tip lately. Don't Be Cruel by Bobby Brown has to be one of the best albums in that genre, if not the best. Just sucks how much tragedy Bobby has experienced in his life.

Al B Sure's In Effect Mode is probably my favorite, although it's not as swing-y as a lot of others.

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

FWIW it's a good OP, I just shared it with someone last week who asked me "so like what are the types of rap? I want to learn more"

Much appreciated. Heck, maybe I should update things for a new thread. I always assumed most people skipped over the OP in threads.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Maybe a little section on mumble rap is warranted. I know it’s not a sub genre so much as just where the sound of some mainstream stuff is right now, but it’s such a bizarre departure from the norm.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Preemptive RIP to DMX, one of the first rappers I bought a CD of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTC72QoifDQ&t=186s

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Don't Be Greedy is such a loving banger. ATF too.

Maybe we reboot at a round number like 1500 or 2000? But I like the persistentcy of the thread. It can be kinda fun to hit the question mark and see how my tastes have changed, etc. Had a lot of ups and downs in this thread. It's like cutting open a tree, lots of rings.

Which reminds me: miss u 6 Ring Shrimp

err
Apr 11, 2005

I carry my own weight no matter how heavy this shit gets...
that OP was last updated in 2015, so many subgenres and new artists since then.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

Boywhiz88 posted:

Which reminds me: miss u 6 Ring Shrimp

Put some respect on their name

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Also Drill is still a pretty loving popular and mainstream music style lol

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

I'm legit so happy to see that. He hadn't posted in so long that I worried! Also, does that mean it was always about Brady and not the Pats? Does Brady have 7 rings!?

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Dexo posted:

Also Drill is still a pretty loving popular and mainstream music style lol

Is it? I mean you have the UK stuff that sounds almost nothing like what the Chicago dudes sounded like, and you got dudes like Pop Smoke from NY but those are basically just generic street rap and also don't sound anything really like what drill was/used to be. And the Chicago scene is still big there ofc, but I don't think there's been really that many dudes to bubble up to any national consciousness outside of insular rap communities. Maybe I'm just being too strict with the definition, or too narrow with "mainstream" but it didn't seem to last at the national level (it would help if basically any drill dude from Chicago didn't get killed right before they get popular).

err posted:

that OP was last updated in 2015, so many subgenres and new artists since then.

I mean yeah but how many will last? At the time I could've added stuff like cloud rap and stuff like that but most of that isn't really around anymore (or more accurately, isn't called cloud rap and exists in other forms). Like it wasn't an exhaustive list then and as I mentioned rap generally doesn't quite fall into the subgenre hell of a lot of other music forms. What would you add? I mean I can always just edit what's there as well. I always hoped someone would've added or volunteered to do a big RnB writeup...

Basically my thought would be to keep most things, add some more modern artists for each of the examples, and get rid of some of the more outdated stuff.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Best news in two years tbh

err
Apr 11, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Is it? I mean you have the UK stuff that sounds almost nothing like what the Chicago dudes sounded like, and you got dudes like Pop Smoke from NY but those are basically just generic street rap and also don't sound anything really like what drill was/used to be. And the Chicago scene is still big there ofc, but I don't think there's been really that many dudes to bubble up to any national consciousness outside of insular rap communities. Maybe I'm just being too strict with the definition, or too narrow with "mainstream" but it didn't seem to last at the national level (it would help if basically any drill dude from Chicago didn't get killed right before they get popular).

drill is one of the bigger rap subgenres outside of the U.S. and NY, Chicago, UK drill are all a little different.

cloudrap is still around but probably just falls under the "soundcloud" genre, with bladee clones and poo poo like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP6W6bC9_m0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1_w4iKar_8

err fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Apr 5, 2021

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Stuff blends over time. I don't think we'd consider "gangster rap" its own genre these days, despite it being considered separate. Although, that might have been more along the lines of fearmongering from news/political groups. Parts of drill are mainstreamed.

Also, drill stars are still national. Keef and Durk are still pretty big in their own right. Von was probably gonna get real big. Not sure if Polo G is drill or not, or just a hard rapper from Chicago.

I've been thinking about how 2010/2011 broke out the independent artist in a big way for rap. You had Lil' B, Tyler the Creator, Chief Keef, and SpaceGhostPurrp/A$AP Rocky as 4 different aesthetics that were all from guys under 21 or 20 or so. Some drew from the past, others carved their own lane. I really believe that rap has changed since then.

I don't see how the Soundcloud era of 2014+ occurs w/o the folks listed above. It's really jarring sometimes to listen to some stuff from 08/09 and think about how old or slow it feels.

Wezlar
May 13, 2005

alansmithee posted:

Durk has gotten pretty huge now and Von was about to blow up. NY Drill gets a lot of its sound from UK Drill which was inspired by the original Drill music, so the lineage is there even if the sound isn't exactly the same.

If nothing else it's definitely a subgenre worth talking about because a lot of the artists get brought up in this thread fairly frequently even if they're not making Top 40 hits.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
There's Jacksonville drill now too. Chicago drill is really good and authentic and the lore and stories behind the music make it more interesting, but there's so much death it's unreal. The biggest loss being generational talent GOAT young pappy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YFwny-N1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRHmsnBP6E

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

err posted:

drill is one of the bigger rap subgenres outside of the U.S. and NY, Chicago, UK drill are all a little different.

cloudrap is still around but probably just falls under the "soundcloud" genre, with bladee clones and poo poo like this:

UK Drill is it's own thing and still resembles more Grime than what was called Drill imo. And I still think NY Drill is only called Drill because NY is so desperate to be popular again they tried to latch on to whatever label that was popular to try to get attention. And I'm not trying to disparage UK Drill, I've mentioned numerous times I think a lot of the stuff is great and I also think it's one of the very very few foreign rap scenes that's any good-it's by far the exception that proves the rule (the rule being foreign rap sucks). And I know about all the soundcloud stuff but my point was that you don't really hear people talk about cloud rap anymore (also they're all main attrakionz clones). Really a lot of that found it's way into some of what's called mumble rap, some of what was called emo rap, etc.

I guess my main point wasn't that there's not other movements/scenes/subgenres, but I'm not sure they'll have any staying power to the fact that someone who's just getting into rap or is curious about the history is gonna really need to know before diving in. Like doing something similar for electronic music, you'd probably wanna cover techno, house, jungle, IDM-I'm not sure you'd really want to mention stuff like 2 step, footwork, gabber, or other things if you're just doing a broad overview, and I think a lot of those genres are way more defined than a lot of stuff in rap ends up being. That said, I'm totally up for modifying/adding things in the OP, especially if people are still finding it a useful resource and overview.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Robert Analog posted:

There's Jacksonville drill now too. Chicago drill is really good and authentic and the lore and stories behind the music make it more interesting, but there's so much death it's unreal. The biggest loss being generational talent GOAT young pappy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8YFwny-N1o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iRHmsnBP6E

Pappy is by far my fav Drill dude and I basically first learned about him when he shot at, ridiculously talented. And yeah Von maybe would've blew up but (as I mentioned) the dudes need to quit getting killed.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Where is that guy whose loved Drake and had another account to reply to his own posts about how he was right?

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Robert Analog posted:

There's Jacksonville drill now too.

Would you classify Who I Smoke as Drill?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

obi_ant posted:

Where is that guy whose loved Drake and had another account to reply to his own posts about how he was right?

He got permabanned, I believe? He was also posting about the Golden State Warriors in the NBA thread in a similar fashion.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah

i flunked out posted:

Would you classify Who I Smoke as Drill?

Yeah probably, the production isn't but thematically they're definitely influenced by Chicago artists. Any rapper talking about "smoking opp pack on bro grave free the guys" is basically drill music imo. Now that I'm thinking about it all the different regions' production sounds different anyway, so it's hard to classify it on that alone.

the gold standard for disrespectful drill songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbC9Mb1NUa8

err
Apr 11, 2005

Robert Analog posted:

the gold standard for disrespectful drill songs:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbC9Mb1NUa8

i thought he quit rapping after getting shot, but he still raps i guess:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jijn_aCMzPo

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Chicago Drill is still alive

alansmithee posted:

UK Drill is it's own thing and still resembles more Grime than what was called Drill imo. And I still think NY Drill is only called Drill because NY is so desperate to be popular again they tried to latch on to whatever label that was popular to try to get attention. And I'm not trying to disparage UK Drill, I've mentioned numerous times I think a lot of the stuff is great and I also think it's one of the very very few foreign rap scenes that's any good-it's by far the exception that proves the rule (the rule being foreign rap sucks). And I know about all the soundcloud stuff but my point was that you don't really hear people talk about cloud rap anymore (also they're all main attrakionz clones). Really a lot of that found it's way into some of what's called mumble rap, some of what was called emo rap, etc.

I guess my main point wasn't that there's not other movements/scenes/subgenres, but I'm not sure they'll have any staying power to the fact that someone who's just getting into rap or is curious about the history is gonna really need to know before diving in. Like doing something similar for electronic music, you'd probably wanna cover techno, house, jungle, IDM-I'm not sure you'd really want to mention stuff like 2 step, footwork, gabber, or other things if you're just doing a broad overview, and I think a lot of those genres are way more defined than a lot of stuff in rap ends up being. That said, I'm totally up for modifying/adding things in the OP, especially if people are still finding it a useful resource and overview.

if you are going to get into rap, at least current rap, you proooobably need to know about the history of Chicago Drill.

Keef is probably one of the most influential rappers of this past decade.

As yeah, it influenced like Smurda, and what's generally coming out of NY right now. Fivio, Pop Smoke etc etc. And even outside of that his music videos, being able to leverage YouTube and the like to expand past the local scene without label help, and general presentation would essentially become the blueprint for literally every young rapper in the game.

God it's so loving senseless that Von Died.

That dude was going to loving be huge.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

obi_ant posted:

Free Monkeau

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

Vargatron posted:

Free Monkeau

I don’t remember Monkeu’s sock puppet. Although maybe I kind of do.

I think the craziest part about that saga was realizing he was the OP of “watch bush start a war” from 9/11 or whatever.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

monkeu :(

err
Apr 11, 2005

i could do an effort post on uk or chicago drill if theres interest, it's really the only rap i listen to anymore

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

err posted:

i could do an effort post on uk or chicago drill if theres interest, it's really the only rap i listen to anymore

It’s you or Ruddiger for Chicago drill lol

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

err posted:

i'd def be interested!

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
Well I thought I was done with rap but then I found Memphis 66.6, 24/7 Phonk Radio

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
monkeu was also harassing people over PM

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
the most important part of chicago drill is owning this shirt:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

shoutout J Cole

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Vargatron posted:

Free Monkeau

Nah

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

temple posted:

Well I thought I was done with rap but then I found Memphis 66.6, 24/7 Phonk Radio

This is great, thanks for the heads up

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Henchman of Santa posted:

monkeu was also harassing people over PM

Ah man that's not cool. It was pretty obvious that he was some sort of weird troll, but taking it where it's not even public isn't fun and games anymore.

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONR1doMju80

having a literal mental breakdown because i cant unravel the underlying message behind this lego commercial tierra whack made for children that sounds like a chance teh rapper song

40 lbs to freedom
Apr 13, 2007

its defintely about the joy of creativity and building up the world into a better place with your friends but also is about working with people from differnt backgrounds to build something bigger than yourselves and its also about how escaping from a bad situation means nothing without brining the people who supported you with you and that cultivating your surroundings is a better option and its a bout controlling your own actions and destiny and its also about how legos kick rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NabmJWtYK5c