Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
So I've got a couple of newbie-questions since I just finished setting up purple research and am starting on the infrastructure for my first Dyson sphere, and I feel the game is not doing a very good job at making me confident in the planning for the biggest commitment of resources/effort that could potentially be wasted due to misplanning.

Here's my home planet, pretty much a moon to a gas giant orbiting the sun

From reading the wiki/game descriptions, I understand that I can supply a ray receiver with graviton lenses to mitigate the effect from lack of line-of-sight when facing away from the sun, is this further impacted by the fact that I can be completely eclipsed by the gas giant?
I only dabbled briefly in a dyson swarm with one experimental ray receiver on my pole, but then immediately stopped my rail ejectors when I realized how much resources I would be sinking into decaying power generation until the endgame where those resources would establish continuous power generation.

Upside being my already set-up production of around 6/s solar sails

/edit: as I'm typing this, it just occurred to me that my planet's orbit around the gas giant should have completely shut down my solar production regularly during this playthrough, so I waited for the eclipse and I guess it just doesn't matter at all :lol:

When I initially launched my dyson swarm, I sent my sails into the default orbit. When initially planning my dyson shell, I couldn't make the swarm orbit "snap to" the planned dyson shell orbit, but from my reading up on the wiki, I take it that where I eject my solar sails to doesn't matter once I have a completed framework up, because they all just gravitate to existing frameworks?

The size planning of a potential dyson sphere is confusing the hell out of me because some YouTubers tell me it's purely aesthetic, while the wiki section on the topic starts with "Preliminary testing indicates that certain mathematical rules apply to Dyson Shells as expected, while others do not, or apply in the opposite way as expected based on real-world physics (yet in a way that makes sense for a video game)".

Can I just construct my first sphere at roughly half the size of the original swarm orbit and not worry too much about minmaxing or efficiency?

I take it the blue strip is the only buildable area on the sphere until I research the stress system tech to increase that area and eventually encompass the whole sphere?

Does this mean until I research the very first stress tech, I cannot actually designate a shell, and can only launch rockets to complete frames/nodes, but can't eject sails to "stick" to them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

2. The sails can be used from whatever orbit, however there is a maximum rate a node can suck in the sails.
4. Yep, research the stress tech and then you can start designing shells,which will absorb and incorporate launched sails.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Duzzy Funlop posted:

The size planning of a potential dyson sphere is confusing the hell out of me because some YouTubers tell me it's purely aesthetic, while the wiki section on the topic starts with "Preliminary testing indicates that certain mathematical rules apply to Dyson Shells as expected, while others do not, or apply in the opposite way as expected based on real-world physics (yet in a way that makes sense for a video game)".

Can I just construct my first sphere at roughly half the size of the original swarm orbit and not worry too much about minmaxing or efficiency?

Yep. I think a large sphere generates more power and photons than a small one, but even the smallest possible sphere generates shitloads. If your priority is to research the final tech and officially win the game, any size will do. You don't even have to complete the frame, you can pull it off with a ring.

Basically 90% of sphere design is for aesthetics and personal satisfaction. If you want, you can make a second sphere around the first.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
You'd get the most power out of a densely gridded sphere, but you can also just build a bunch of cool looking layers and keep adding stuff until you get the power output you want.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, I think I'm gonna take a step back from my dyson sphere beelining after realizing two things:

1. After zipping around neighboring systems some more, I found a whole bunch of rare materials for alternate recipes that's going to make my life a lot easier, so I'll need warper automation first
2. automating warpers from straight-up graviton lens conversion seems like a huge loss of potential versus the green science conversion, which yields 8 warpers instead of one

So I guess I'm going to focus on a low-output setup for green science to automate interstellar logistics for the intermediate green science products, and then scale up the output.
I've found Kymberlite and Unipolar magnet sources in nearby systems (okay, the latter is 15ly away orbiting a black hole that I just HAD TO SEE once I unlocked the warp engine), so the Graviton Lens part of green research is almost entirely covered, and yet another nearby system has optical grated crystals, so that should help the strange matter quantum crystal part of the green research

I just also realized that the gas giant my home planet orbits isn't a gas giant at all, but an ice giant. Upside: Free fire ice. Downside: I'm gonna need a lot of orbital collectors to extract enough hydrogen for mass casimir crystal production, I guess?
I could probably chain my graphene and casimir crystal production together, you know, use the hydrogen from the fire ice reaction for the grated crystal reaction?

Yeesh, I'm gonna have to put some more thought into this. gently caress this dumb amazing game.

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Apr 3, 2021

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Yeah the green science to warper recipe is the way to go. I never set up more than two assemblers for that conversion and those two assemblers were supplying all of my planets

Strawberry Pyramid
Dec 12, 2020

by Pragmatica
Also, remember the labs produce two Green Science at once, so really you're getting 16 warpers for one lens and blue chip each.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I did the math on the infrastructure needed to produce even 1 titanium crystal per second and now setting up an interstellar route for that natural vein I found of organic crystal seems like a no brainer.

Edit: This would also require 1/3 of my entire home planet's capacity to produce oil. Nice.

SettingSun fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2021

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

SettingSun posted:

I did the math on the infrastructure needed to produce even 1 titanium crystal per second and now setting up an interstellar route for that natural vein I found of organic crystal seems like a no brainer.

Edit: This would also require 1/3 of my entire home planet's capacity to produce oil. Nice.

The moment I can get Icarus to actually sustain a warper long enough to reach another star, doing the same. Just drastically ramped up plastic production that I'll need in the future regardless of organic crystal creation, and not looking forwars to the sheer amount I need to make yellow sci reasonable.
Casimir crystals make it even worse. Gotta go straight to the crystal rare resource for that one.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Winged Orpheus posted:

Just a heads up, you might start running into some weirdness if you keep building that out. The game can only handle so much on a single planet. I have a planet that's like 80% covered in solar panels that causes major weirdness when I build/change stuff on it. Not sure if it's the number of entities or the number of power connections, but power poles forget what they're connected to and if I keep playing enough after getting an error, the ui starts to glitch. I think some variable is overrunning it's assigned space and interfering with other things

So this was a couple pages back, but yeah, I'm running into that now. I'm not even half way done building all the storage towers I need and the game's making random units go flickery when I zoom out into map view. No power issues yet, but it's making me worry about like, corrupting my save or causing crash issues or something.

It'd be really nice if there was a mod that just let me pour a ton of resources into a single huge-giant-gently caress-off storage that worked like the storages in a tower. Like, a single item warehouse that was really big and required me to belt stuff in and out, but could hold, say, 10 million of that resource, or something.

neogeo0823 fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 3, 2021

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.
Super fun times: Stacking liquid storage, filling it with extra hydrogen, then disassembling them all and watching an absolute EXPLOSION of hydrogen stacks dropping all over.

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

Cobbsprite posted:

Super fun times: Stacking liquid storage, filling it with extra hydrogen, then disassembling them all and watching an absolute EXPLOSION of hydrogen stacks dropping all over.

Tank contents no longer devastated by demolishing tanks

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Wish I could take refined oil and just dump it into the ocean. I’m turning the entire planet into orbiting mass anyway, who gives a poo poo.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Phanatic posted:

Wish I could take refined oil and just dump it into the ocean. I’m turning the entire planet into orbiting mass anyway, who gives a poo poo.

Better idea: dump it into thermal generators. Hell, send it offworld and use it to kickstart other places. It's not the most effective, but you're dumping it into the ocean anyway.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

BisbyWorl posted:

Automate all your buildings, that way if you ever run out you can just slap down a tower and remote demand more instead of scrounging together the mats to hand craft them.

Just make sure you set the supply cap to 100-300, depending on how well each building stacks so you don't end up with 1000 interplanetary towers getting sent to you.

This works amazingly well, I stole Nilaus' setup from youtube for his manufacturing hubs and belt/sorter/assembler hubs. The second important thing though is to set the logistics vessels capacity at 10% on the tower that's going to be sending it out though. Otherwise you'll have 100 sitting there, and no matter how many times you request it'll just sit there until it gets to a 1000, which it will never do as you limited it to making 100. If you don't, you'll have to set it at 10% where you are and power the tower you're bringing it to. If you do, you don't even need power to get stuff at the interstellar tower.

SkyeAuroline posted:

Better idea: dump it into thermal generators. Hell, send it offworld and use it to kickstart other places. It's not the most effective, but you're dumping it into the ocean anyway.

People keep saying burn off your excess, but am I the only one who has their generators shut off when they aren't needed? I feel like I'm missing something, but whenever I have extra I eventually build up enough I can't get rid of it.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

seaborgium posted:

People keep saying burn off your excess, but am I the only one who has their generators shut off when they aren't needed? I feel like I'm missing something, but whenever I have extra I eventually build up enough I can't get rid of it.

Natural disclaimer: I am not good at this game and should not be taken as gospel.

Yes, due to the weird power balancing mechanisms in this game, generators shut off or ramp down when you're in excess and not on any "conserving/using fuel" basis. My planets so far tend to ride a +/-30% range of power variance, so I don't always build up that power need to use refined fuel either. What I'd suggest for something like this is setting up a smelting planet, installing a non fuel dependent power source linked to the ILS bringing in fuel and materials, and then using your waste burnable whatever to fuel the smelters. Guaranteed usage of the fuel, fallback to ensure the supply chain keeps working and doesn't shut the whole planet off when you miss a fuel ship. But not the most effective power source by a long shot.
Personally I'm dumping mine into plastic and hoping that will do the job. I'm in the same backlog situation as you. Four full stacked tanks and multiple ILSes full to the brim as my hydrogen suffers.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Forbidden meme or the DSP development team? Only you can decide

This game would be seriously impressive for a big studio, much less a 5 person team. I'm still amazed at the performance every time I start it up

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

seaborgium posted:

This works amazingly well, I stole Nilaus' setup from youtube for his manufacturing hubs and belt/sorter/assembler hubs. The second important thing though is to set the logistics vessels capacity at 10% on the tower that's going to be sending it out though. Otherwise you'll have 100 sitting there, and no matter how many times you request it'll just sit there until it gets to a 1000, which it will never do as you limited it to making 100. If you don't, you'll have to set it at 10% where you are and power the tower you're bringing it to. If you do, you don't even need power to get stuff at the interstellar tower.

They should let you logistics stuff straight into the sun to get rid of excess.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Azhais posted:

This game would be seriously impressive for a big studio, much less a 5 person team. I'm still amazed at the performance every time I start it up

Jesus Christ, that's really amazing :stare:

Ragtime All The Time
Apr 6, 2011

They should add a feature that makes the flow of items on conveyor belts match the beat of the music you're listening to :catdrugs:

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

Azhais posted:

oof #cancelled

Richlove
Jul 24, 2009

Paragon of primary care

"What?!?! You stuck that WHERE?!?!

:staredog:

Just finished my first game with a completed Dyson Sphere. What a nice surprise! My first planet was horrible spaghetti. Spreading out and getting logistics towers helped accelerate things at the end.

Do yourself a favor and get that blueprint mod though. I played the vast majority of my first playthough without it and I wished I had it when I started.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Richlove posted:

Just finished my first game with a completed Dyson Sphere. What a nice surprise! My first planet was horrible spaghetti. Spreading out and getting logistics towers helped accelerate things at the end.

Do yourself a favor and get that blueprint mod though. I played the vast majority of my first playthough without it and I wished I had it when I started.

Reaching that conclusion myself. Finally reaches another system, promptly set up organic crystal and (whatever the nanotube precursor is) mines plus silicon processing and sulfuric pumps. Just annoyingly tedious. May just shelve the game till a few more patches have come through. Right now a lot of design decisions I really don't care for.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

I still really want inputs to research towers to be based on lowest resource amount rather than lowest up.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Pocky In My Pocket posted:

I still really want inputs to research towers to be based on lowest resource amount rather than lowest up.

Sorry, can you clarify? I haven't run into any research resource distribution issues yet but also haven't looked at the mechanics any closer than "hook up sorters and it just works".

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

If you stack research towers, the input will fill the bottom building, then try and fill the second toward, and so on. It can lead to your bottom few buildings being kept full while your top one or two just sit empty

Winged Orpheus
May 21, 2010

Domine, Dirige Nos

neogeo0823 posted:

So this was a couple pages back, but yeah, I'm running into that now. I'm not even half way done building all the storage towers I need and the game's making random units go flickery when I zoom out into map view. No power issues yet, but it's making me worry about like, corrupting my save or causing crash issues or something.

It'd be really nice if there was a mod that just let me pour a ton of resources into a single huge-giant-gently caress-off storage that worked like the storages in a tower. Like, a single item warehouse that was really big and required me to belt stuff in and out, but could hold, say, 10 million of that resource, or something.

So, I actually ended up finishing this project (solar panel planet with 10GW of output for charging accumulators) and I have a couple notes that might help.

1. It never made my save unstable, I was always able to save and reload just fine. It would interfere with connections of stuff on planet but didn't break anything anywhere else.

2. It seems to be related to how many things have been put down since the game was loaded. If I put down some panels, saved, exited, and re-loaded, everything seemed to work.

I suspect there's something tracking changes that gets bigger than they ever expected if you put down too much stuff too fast (and by too much I mean like covering half a planet). In my case I'm pretty sure it was the number of power connections, but lots of save/exit/reload let me get to the finish line

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

If you stack research towers, the input will fill the bottom building, then try and fill the second toward, and so on. It can lead to your bottom few buildings being kept full while your top one or two just sit empty

Ah, yeah, okay. I had noticed I only had a few running at a time for green and yellow sci. That would explain what the issue was. Pass-through-first logic would be nice.

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

If you have 10 green cubes/second, you're going to get 10 cubes per second worth of research after the buffers in the labs fill.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Winged Orpheus posted:

So, I actually ended up finishing this project (solar panel planet with 10GW of output for charging accumulators) and I have a couple notes that might help.

1. It never made my save unstable, I was always able to save and reload just fine. It would interfere with connections of stuff on planet but didn't break anything anywhere else.

2. It seems to be related to how many things have been put down since the game was loaded. If I put down some panels, saved, exited, and re-loaded, everything seemed to work.

I suspect there's something tracking changes that gets bigger than they ever expected if you put down too much stuff too fast (and by too much I mean like covering half a planet). In my case I'm pretty sure it was the number of power connections, but lots of save/exit/reload let me get to the finish line

That's good to know. I hadn't picked the game back up since that post for fear of things going dead. I had put down like 2000 storage containers that play session, so yeah, I can see how that might make things odd.

Cobbsprite
May 6, 2012

Threatening stuffed animals for fun and profit.

If the bottom is kept full while the top couple sit empty, then you have a supply shortage. T3 sorters and belts will load more materials than a full stack of labs can use at one time. If the amount of resources you have to feed them is less than the maximum amount they can use, then you have that issue crop up. It's better for your planning this way, because if you see the bottom ones are working but the top ones aren't, then you know you need to produce more stuff for them. Look for your shortage and build more.

And anyways, if it did use pass-through-first logic then it would still end up in the same place. You'd run more of your labs at a time but you'd run them in short jumps instead of at a steady pace.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Your labs are basically a meter stick telling you how good you are playing by how far up the sparkley lights make it.

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

zedprime posted:

Your labs are basically a meter stick telling you how good you are playing by how far up the sparkley lights make it.

Honestly it's the only kind of indicator I understand.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Okay, in my marathon session yesterday during our national holiday, I had three big-rear end oops moments that had me laughing at my own stupidity, and I thought I'd share.

1. Milcalculating inputs. It starts with this post:

Duzzy Funlop posted:

I just also realized that the gas giant my home planet orbits isn't a gas giant at all, but an ice giant. Upside: Free fire ice. Downside: I'm gonna need a lot of orbital collectors to extract enough hydrogen for mass casimir crystal production, I guess?
I could probably chain my graphene and casimir crystal production together, you know, use the hydrogen from the fire ice reaction for the grated crystal reaction?

I somehow completely overlooked that there's a "1" beside that "2" for the hydrogen requirement. My galaxy-brain celebrated itself for both luck and genius because I had fire ice and optical grated crystals on the same planet, so I thought that every 4 graphene I was outputting generated enough hydrogen for 1 casimir crystal reaction.
Turns out that I was outputting TWENTY-FOUR graphene for every casimir crystal reaction. Cue my surprise when returning to the planet for the first time after wondering why I hadn't even received a single shipment of 400 casimir crystals after quite a bit.
For further background: this planet is 16 light years away from my home system, and without the tier V (I think? Whichever is the one that requires green research that I had not yet set up) mecha upgrades, this took me two warps with one full-recharge of a couple of minutes in between.
My full stack of MkII storages next to the interstellar logistics station was filling at a break-neck rate while only the first shipment of casimir crystals was just leaving the planet.

I fixed this later by slapping four orbital collectors on a gas giant 4ly away to supply the hydrogen, and setting up a chain to convert the abundant titanium on the planet to carbon nanotubes so I could at least convernt some of the overflowing graphene.
This, however compacted my issues in 2b) and 2c) further down

2. Not looking at the specs of a planet before planning power-generation:

a) Before setting up an equatorial ring of solar panels, setting up the logistics station, connecting the powergrid and loving off back to my home planet, I didn't look at the solar power ratio the planet was getting...under 40 loving percent. I'm orbiting a white dwarf, so I could have even used my rudimentary knowledge of physics to put two and two together, but I was being a dumb and now realizing that I was only at about 60% power satisfaction, and hadn't brought back more means of power generation on my first return trip

b) On my second return trip, I brought back a couple stacks of wind turbines to bring my grid satisfaction up to 100% with a little wiggle-room to spare. The wiggle-room-to-spare, however, was used up completely by my new chain of carbon nanotube conversion, so now I had ZERO wiggle room

c) This was my first high-frequency interstellar logistics involving warpers that I had up and running, so I was completely blind-sided by the power drain of logistics stations when you have a full complement of logistics vessels constantly shuttling back and forth just to supply the planet with enough hydrogen to keep the casimir crystals flowing

:cripes:

3. Bottlenecking hard:
Fairly early in the game, I had set up a "big-rear end" processor chain and titanium stores on another planet and my system, and the stores just kept filling and filling to obscene levels that I felt were NEVER GOING TO BE AT RISK OF DEPLETING because out of sight, out of mind, the logistics vessels are continually bringing processors and titanium without me checking on the planet on demand, what could possibly go wrong?
Same thing for my supermagnetic ring and electromagnetic turbine that I had set up even earlier (to supply myself with an abundance of MkII belts as soon as possible in the game). So when I set up my rocket production and start shooting the little suckers off at my dyson sphere with four launch facilities and start celebrating myself for being galaxy-brained enough to have set up supermagnetic ring production early in the game, I had no worries in my head.

Cue my confusion when suddenly my launches cease. Turns out despite having hundreds of hours in factorio, I once again neglected upstream-bottlenecks in high-tier material production, so I come to find my huge stores of supermagnetic rings completely drained, and realize the size of my inventory had nothing to do with production output , but with a slow trickle over time, and now I was sitting with a fully-MkI-structured ring-production that was completely draining the raw material input.

Also, pretty much EVERYTHING ELSE is also now starting to come to a slow crawl, because the giant gently caress-off processor and titanium storages had run dry, and I realized that what I had celebrated as a "big-rear end" production chain off-planet was nowhere near the scale required to support the massive quantum processor and dyson sphere component chains on my home planet.

:cripes:

I have learned nothing from Factorio and I loving love this dumb game.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Welcome to my corner of hell. Supermagnetic rings are a nonexistent item in my factory too, mostly because my iron of all things can't even remotely keep up (literally cannot keep a stock of either motor type above 0). Problem to solve next time I play.
Plus side, my ring (eventually sphere) is finally actually under construction. Feels good.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I just logged back in to play and I'm still getting the weird flickering on the containers. Like, obviously it's more evident when not in a screenshot, but look at this.

You can see the holes everywhere in what are normally full stacks of crates. And how most of the 1-high crates in the lower right are missing, with just the inserters showing.

EDIT: it's gotta have something to do with the amount of stuff displayed. If I change view to only show half of the crates, then it goes back to normal. In standard view it's fine, and only does this when I go into world map view.

SkyeAuroline
Nov 12, 2020

Probably above the number of crates they were ever expecting to have to show; I think those are issues anyone running blueprint mods will run into pretty quickly. Just not meant to build up quite so large of factories in "normal play" yet.

Two side questions.
1) How much do you guys actually use the satellite substation for power? Standard poles have their obvious use, and long range poles have the only external mech charging method (and the only potentially "free" one with solar/wind) plus the long reach to link things. Substations are huge and expensive but also cover a huge area. I've mostly been using them outside of the 30° or so latitude range where poles fit between assemblers, but interested to see others' approaches.
2) please help, my iron supply is starving. So far haven't hit a single one of the usual bottlenecks in my factory that isn't predicated on an iron bottleneck. Is this just the way it goes? (Hydrogen is getting there too, but anything using hydrogen is also getting bottlenecked by either: my 50ish fractionators not being enough, and (not or) my iron supply running too short for anything it combines with.)

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

SkyeAuroline posted:

2) please help, my iron supply is starving. So far haven't hit a single one of the usual bottlenecks in my factory that isn't predicated on an iron bottleneck. Is this just the way it goes? (Hydrogen is getting there too, but anything using hydrogen is also getting bottlenecked by either: my 50ish fractionators not being enough, and (not or) my iron supply running too short for anything it combines with.)

The factory must expand, in order to meet the needs of the expanding factory.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Build more mines and then build more smelters until you think you have enough. Then double that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

SkyeAuroline posted:

Probably above the number of crates they were ever expecting to have to show; I think those are issues anyone running blueprint mods will run into pretty quickly. Just not meant to build up quite so large of factories in "normal play" yet.

Two side questions.
1) How much do you guys actually use the satellite substation for power? Standard poles have their obvious use, and long range poles have the only external mech charging method (and the only potentially "free" one with solar/wind) plus the long reach to link things. Substations are huge and expensive but also cover a huge area. I've mostly been using them outside of the 30° or so latitude range where poles fit between assemblers, but interested to see others' approaches.

I only just started using the big poles on that planet and I am disappointed in that while you can place them next to crates, you cannot build the stack of crates upward, as they apparently have a mushroom shaped hitbox. If that doesn't matter to you, then they are otherwise neat.

As for 2 there, the first thing I ran out of in my home system was iron, and was the reason I went to other systems at all in the first place. In fact, the entire point of what I'm doing right now is to set up my giant crate world as a storage and warehouse for ore for that system, so that I can have 2 other nice, fresh, clean planets on which to build a giant-gently caress-off smelting facility on one, and then a power station on the other that will charge batteries from a swarm/sphere for the rest of my play through.

As for your hydrogen set up, does your home system have a gas giant or an ice giant? if gas, you've got all the free hydro you could ever want sitting right there, just waiting on you to put a belt of orbital collectors around its equator. Otherwise, my suggestion is to set up a big facility to take all the oil of your home world and turn it all into hydro and refined fuel. If you go into the star map, it should give you the total rate of oil that you can get from the planet. Go based off that, and remember to turn all that refined fuel into something. Probably organic crystals or whatever.