Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
check facebook market too. the last time this happened on a discord i was on someone happened to have one spare to lend out, do you have any computery friends? you really only need it for a second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
yeah i wouldn't roll the dice on 200 bucks for a 2200G just to do a BIOS update if you have any other choice at all

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES
Thanks for the replies! I read the fine print on the BIOS update and it requires both an AMD all-in-one driver installation (so Windows has to be up and running) and an interim BIOS flash (v2.00) before flashing to v3.30, so I went ahead and got the Amazon CPU. I only recently moved to the area I'm in and the local shop doesn't wanna hand me a chip for the duration of a clean OS install + driver install + two BIOS flashes when they're not making money off the work involved and we're making the assumption that Nothing Else is wrong hardware-wise.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

I think AMD still has a loaner boot kit available. No idea how long it would take them to send you one though.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

HOW DOES THE IPHONE APP WORK?? I WILL SPAM ENDLESSLY EVERYWHERE AND DISREGARD ANY REPLIES

Inept posted:

I think AMD still has a loaner boot kit available. No idea how long it would take them to send you one though.

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Thanks a ton for this! I submitted a warranty request, we'll see how long it takes em to get back to me. I wouldn't mind waiting a bit longer if it meant I could return the Amazon CPU unopened.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Is it not stable if you enable XMP settings?

well, it hadn't been stable, but on 2006 BIOS it seems to be so far. Thanks everyone who replied

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

denereal visease posted:

Any other recc's for stress-testing memory? I want to try to find some time to tune my RAM in the near future.

I find TM5 with anta777 Extreme profile very good and should be good enough on it's own myself. However, I also have Karhu RAMTest very easy to use and works well too. Generally though TM5 seems to pickup things a little sooner. OCCT (free) mem test is also worth a run just to cap things off but I never found it to do anything that TM5 or Karhu didn't

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Lenovo is using AMD's Platform Secure Boot feature to lock Threadripper chips to Lenovo platforms https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-is-using-amd-psb-to-vendor-lock-amd-cpus/

This should make buying used chips a fun minefield.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I think ServeTheHome mentioned that Dell was doing that also some months back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNVuTAVYxpM

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

zgrowler2 posted:

Thanks for the reply! I'm hunting on Amazon and it looks like, when I take into account that chipset model numbers on their site don't fully match the strings on ASRock's website, the best cheap bet I have for getting a specific model that will work on the 1.0 version of the BIOS is the Ryzen 3 2200G APU since all flavors of the Ryzen 3 2200G are tested and confirmed. I'm leery about putting down $200 on a CPU and then returning it to Amazon since I can't find explicit confirmation online that they'll take an opened CPU (with or without a restocking fee). I returned a Scythe Mugen cooler recently for lack of a backplate being included and I'm hoping my account doesn't get flagged.

Guess I'll pull the trigger on the 2200G and see what happens?

If all else fails, if you can cover shipping both ways, I possess a 200GE I bought before The Time Of Plague And Sorrow specifically for this purpose that I'd be happy to share.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got 5950x with an MSI B550 Gaming Carbon motherboard in the bundle from the Newegg shuffle. Think I am probably going to flip the board on ebay, even though it doesn't look bad on the VRM/audio side. Realtek 2.5g lan, meh back IO, no post code, and the fact that its MSI is the only things that really stand out. Am I being irrational?

E: outside of the general irrationality of a 5950X in general!

Cygni fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Apr 6, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cygni posted:

I got 5950x with an MSI B550 Gaming Carbon motherboard in the bundle from the Newegg shuffle. Think I am probably going to flip the board on ebay, even though it doesn't look bad on the VRM/audio side. Realtek 2.5g lan, meh back IO, no post code, and the fact that its MSI is the only things that really stand out. Am I being irrational?

E: outside of the general irrationality of a 5950X in general!

Maybe a little irrational.

That's the same board I just bought to go with a 5800x since it had the best mix of features for my use case (and also it was actually in stock, which was not the case for some of my alternative choices).

Everyone has kinda meh rear I/O aside from Gigabyte, and I've heard that the Realtek 2.5g lan chip is actually a little better than the comparable Intel offering currently.

iirc Buildzoid's only real knock against it was that it's kind of expensive compared to most other B550 offerings.

denereal visease
Nov 27, 2002

"Research your own experience. Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless, add what is essentially your own."

Xaris posted:

I find TM5 with anta777 Extreme profile very good and should be good enough on it's own myself. However, I also have Karhu RAMTest very easy to use and works well too. Generally though TM5 seems to pickup things a little sooner. OCCT (free) mem test is also worth a run just to cap things off but I never found it to do anything that TM5 or Karhu didn't

Thanks Xaris! I was planning on use a couple methods (basically everything you mentioned above) to validate my tune. I bought a "bad with money" kit last year, so there maybe not be a lot of room. I'm done building machines for at least 5 years at this point, so tuning and tweaking is where the enjoyment is in the hobby right now :)

Toalpaz
Mar 20, 2012

Peace through overwhelming determination
I can't be the only one who is sad that the MSI carbons aren't flat warm grey anymore right? I was absurdly interested in it when I first built my system, and now I'm going to have to be very patient waiting to upgrade for aesthetics....

E: Somehow I got the carbon mixed up with the Mortar Titanium lineup. Oops!

Toalpaz fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Apr 6, 2021

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Toalpaz posted:

I can't be the only one who is sad that the MSI carbons aren't flat warm grey anymore right? I was absurdly interested in it when I first built my system, and now I'm going to have to be very patient waiting to upgrade for aesthetics....

I just looked at pictures of all the AM4 carbons in succession and I'm not sure what you're complaining about. Although they're not the value if you're worried about dark gray aesthetics I would say go with a Strix board.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Helter Skelter posted:

Maybe a little irrational.

That's the same board I just bought to go with a 5800x since it had the best mix of features for my use case (and also it was actually in stock, which was not the case for some of my alternative choices).

Everyone has kinda meh rear I/O aside from Gigabyte, and I've heard that the Realtek 2.5g lan chip is actually a little better than the comparable Intel offering currently.

iirc Buildzoid's only real knock against it was that it's kind of expensive compared to most other B550 offerings.

Thanks for the reality check. I'll probably give it a shot for a while. I haven't used an MSI board for my personal system since January 2006 when I apparently ordered a MSI K7N2 Delta2-FS nForce2 Ultra 400 board, and most of the systems I've built for friends lately have been Asus/Giga with the occasional Asrock, so will be good to see what MSI is offering these days.

And if I don't like it, maybe I'll get an X570S board!

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1379361477124050944

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

I do want there to be a Zen3+, because I'm a whore for more capable silicon.

I don't want there to be a Zen3+ because I already have an upgrade plan for Zen3 and then Zen4 goddammit.

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Xaris posted:

FWIW my PC passed TM5 with that profile then crashed loading a page with lots of animated gifs :psyduck:

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

mdxi posted:

I don't want there to be a Zen3+ because I already have an upgrade plan for Zen3 and then Zen4 goddammit.

The expectations for it are pretty low, so I wouldn't expect too much drive to upgrade honestly. I haven't heard anything that suggests we are looking at big performance or feature changes. There isn't an Epyc release at all (just like there was not a Zen+ Epyc), which likely tells you something.

That said, if X570 is getting a die shrink (as is implied in the article), that means the I/O die itself is getting a die shrink, so there might be some lower heat numbers which might also mean higher boosting in thermally limited situations.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

Cygni posted:

And if I don't like it, maybe I'll get an X570S board!

https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1379361477124050944

Milan switched to an updated IO die so it makes sense that they will EOL the “old” IO die that is being used as the X570 and replace it with the “new” IO die branded as X570S.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I just got a 5600X to replace my 3600X, on a MSI Gaming Pro Wifi X570 board, and it's only boosting to 4.4ghz (should boost to 4.6ghz) across all cores. Do I have something misconfigured or is something wrong with the board or CPU?

It's not going above 68 C at full load.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

I just got a 5600X to replace my 3600X, on a MSI Gaming Pro Wifi X570 board, and it's only boosting to 4.4ghz (should boost to 4.6ghz) across all cores. Do I have something misconfigured or is something wrong with the board or CPU?

It's not going above 68 C at full load.

That seems right stock. IIRC stock single-core boost should be 4.6ghz and multi-core boost should be 4.4ghz. Is PBO enabled? You can also try enabling PBO in Ryzen Master or Auto-OC.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Xaris posted:

That seems right stock. IIRC stock single-core boost should be 4.6ghz and multi-core boost should be 4.4ghz. Is PBO enabled? You can also try enabling PBO in Ryzen Master or Auto-OC.

Well then!

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
yeah if it's stock, and you haven't turned PBO/Auto-OC on, that sounds right:

quote:

The Ryzen 5 5600X sustains a single clock boost of 4.6 GHz out of the box. The stock performance out of the box is really impressiv
4.6ghz is single core use-only; usually assume about -200 mhz for multi-core which brings it to 4.4ghz when all or multiple are used.

I have set my mobo for a custom PBO with a +200 mhz offset (and curve optimizer to undervolt) so it does 4.85 ghz single-core and ~4.6 multi.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

mdxi posted:

Those assholes better be putting Zen3+ CCXes into the new Threadrippers then, if the Zen3+ releases before it.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Combat Pretzel posted:

Those assholes better be putting Zen3+ CCXes into the new Threadrippers then, if the Zen3+ releases before it.

I thought leaks were pointing towards Zen3+ reusing the same CPU chiplets but with a new IO die supporting DDR5?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

Desktop Zen3+ (Warhol) is on AM4 this year, so DDR4. Zen4 is on AM5 with DDR5 next year, so sayeth the anime Twitter leakers.

Although AM5 will potentially launch this year... with a Zen3+ based APU (Rembrandt).

https://twitter.com/olrak29_/status/1378726252941438983?s=21

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
What’s that guy’s sources?

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

priznat posted:

"dude trust me"

But basically everything on that slide has been repeatedly confirmed by the leak daddies. The original formatting/colors are from a leaked AMD document that the leakers have been expanding on. Leaky leaky.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

priznat posted:

Their uncle probably works at AMD

Mofabio
May 15, 2003
(y - mx)*(1/(inf))*(PV/RT)*(2.718)*(V/I)
Man, that Van Gogh APU's what's gonna lighten my wallet. An APU that fixes the iGPU memory bandwidth issue with DDR5 and a 256-bit bus, in a potential 40w TDP NUC. That thing's gonna play PC games from the 80s till the mid-2010s and cost mid-range $$. Mmm mmm.

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

Mofabio posted:

Man, that Van Gogh APU's what's gonna lighten my wallet. An APU that fixes the iGPU memory bandwidth issue with DDR5 and a 256-bit bus, in a potential 40w TDP NUC. That thing's gonna play PC games from the 80s till the mid-2010s and cost mid-range $$. Mmm mmm.
Yeah, I like the idea of not having to scrounge for a cheap slot powered 1050ti/1650 on builds for friends and family. I always want desktops I build to have decently capable 3D, otherwise they get a MacBook Air. Even if they’re not gamers it usually works out, like my wife wanting to play Fallout 4 or my brother wanting to play Madden some time after the machine’s built and they’re already set.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have the rare setup of an aircooled CPU (3700X) in an O11 Dynamic. I have three 120mm intake fans on the vertical side, similar to how GamersNexus tested the O11. I mostly like the Wraith Prism, but the other day I was converting a video from h264 to 265 and during an hour or so of ecoding HWInfo reported brief spikes into 84 and even 86 degrees.

Would adding three exhaust fans do much to help here? I've been hesitant to buy an AIO since I don't overclock the chip at all, but I'm not sure just adding three case fans while using the same cooler will help.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I would replace the Wraith Prism itself before adding more case fans honestly. If you are hesitant to get an AIO (and you really shouldn't be), there are lots of great air coolers that are arguably even better. Noctua/Be Quiet, etc.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Cygni posted:

I would replace the Wraith Prism itself before adding more case fans honestly. If you are hesitant to get an AIO (and you really shouldn't be), there are lots of great air coolers that are arguably even better. Noctua/Be Quiet, etc.

My 3770K before this used a water cooler. They just annoy me in some regard because I usually don't have the money to spend the kind $100+ on a part that only lasts five years, essentially meaning there's a $20/yr subscription for CPU cooling.

Also this is my ARGB madness build so I'd probably end up spending $150-200 instead.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Craptacular! posted:

I have the rare setup of an aircooled CPU (3700X) in an O11 Dynamic. I have three 120mm intake fans on the vertical side, similar to how GamersNexus tested the O11. I mostly like the Wraith Prism, but the other day I was converting a video from h264 to 265 and during an hour or so of ecoding HWInfo reported brief spikes into 84 and even 86 degrees.

Would adding three exhaust fans do much to help here? I've been hesitant to buy an AIO since I don't overclock the chip at all, but I'm not sure just adding three case fans while using the same cooler will help.

Looking at pictures of the case I would personally mount at least one decent exhaust fan. It's hard for me to picture your case efficiently venting heat with only side-mounted intake fans and fairly limited vents.

punk rebel ecks
Dec 11, 2010

A shitty post? This calls for a dance of deduction.
So how long will it be before AMD starts releasing desktop CPUs?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Holy god drat gently caress. I got a 5900X order finally. Linus Tech Tips ran another drop through one their videos posted not too long ago. Got the link, answered the 15 gaming question quiz to prove I'm human and waited my turn to complete my order and it loving happened.

God drat. It's loving over.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1380339400760991749

zgrowler2
Oct 29, 2011

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Holy god drat gently caress. I got a 5900X order finally. Linus Tech Tips ran another drop through one their videos posted not too long ago. Got the link, answered the 15 gaming question quiz to prove I'm human and waited my turn to complete my order and it loving happened.

https://twitter.com/8bitminiboss/status/1380339400760991749

I'm happy for you man, gently caress scalpers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mdxi
Mar 13, 2006

to JERK OFF is to be close to GOD... only with SPURTING

8-bit Miniboss posted:

:yeah:

super happy for you!