Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Is Dal similar to mainland Chinese rice 'cake'?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

SubG posted:

Not related to veggie burger chat but hamburgers are one of those popular foods where the overwhelming majority of them are just terrible. And not just in terms of snooty that's-not-a-real-[whatever]-ism or anything. Just from the standpoint of technical execution or whatever you want to call it. Like I don't get fast food burgers not because of any ideological position or whatever, but most of the times when I have gotten one they're just soggy messes, or someone has assembled the bits sideways, or something like that.

Same with pizza. Pizza is hugely popular, but an astonishing number of pizza places produce pizza that's just execrable.

Not quite as popular but still common, and to illustrate it's not just American food staples, sushi is also a hugely hit or miss genre of food. Good nigiri and/or a good bowl of chirashi is among one of my favourite things to tuck into, but most randomly sampled sushi places are just kinda bad. This could be amplified by the fact that sashimi is one of those things where the drop-off from "great" to "good" is pretty narrow and the drop off from "good" to "bad" is much, much wider.

On the other end of the scale I feel like the average bowl of phở I've had is always at least "good" (and phở isn't even my favourite Vietnamese soup).

Yeah, I agree. I haven’t had a fast-food burger in about 20 years, and part of it is an ethical choice but mostly it’s because they are bloody awful.

Agree re sushi, and yes, phø.

Happiness Commando posted:

Dosa

Ninja edit: Just noticed what you did there. Excellent.

:haw:

Thanks. I thought of dosa but always think of it too late for the soaking. And I don’t have a large grinder. Would a food processor work?

VelociBacon posted:

Is Dal similar to mainland Chinese rice 'cake'?
I’m not sure what cake in that context is (but would like to!): dal is a south Asian stew made usually with lentils and spices.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Hopdoddys has an impossible burger on their menu. I got it and thought it was good, but then I had a bite of my wife’s normal cheeseburger and it blew the impossible burger away. The impossible one tasted like a “beef” burger you’d get at a summer camp cafeteria.

gegi
Aug 3, 2004
Butterfly Girl

mediaphage posted:

tbh i am not that impressed with beyond burgers. they're...fine? they definitely taste like a veggie burger, too hard on the char and onion flavour imo. i am absolutely content to have them when out and about, though i won't bother with them for home eating. definitely not as good as the burgers i get around here. they're not bad, i just don't think they're some revolution in veggie burgers that a lot of people do.

Our home response to the beyond burger as a burger has been pretty much - it's fine? I guess?

However we've had great success with dicing up the beyond burger patties for stir-fry with noodles. It goes from 'okay' to 'actually that's really tasty'. They probably have other meat shapes for sale that would work for that but the store we're using only carries burgers.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

Furious Lobster posted:

Thank you for the overview, I'm also interested in learning more about sake. There's an importer in Oregon who has an always revolving webstore and did a zoom session to explain namazake. I'm trying to parse this label to find out if it is tanrei or houjun as explained but can't even find that. I liked the producer in the past and want to find more identifying characteristics to match in the future.

The label is rarely going to have any information about flavor other than the grade and frequently but not always nihonshudo. I usually rely on the description from the shop/website for the other stuff.

That label, reading top to bottom left to right, has a warning about not drinking alcohol if you're under 20, the name and location of the brewing company, the name and grade of the sake (junmai which means no brewers alcohol is added, just rice and water), and a list of ingredients (rice and kouji from yamagata-ken), the rice polishing (60%), alcohol content (17%), and bottle volume (720ml).

Given the lack of info I'd have to revert to guesswork, but 17% is an extremely high alcohol content I've usually only seen in genshu, so I'd expect that bottle to have a very full bodied texture and aggressive flavor profile, probably on the sweeter houjun side.

Just a guess though.

Guildenstern Mother posted:

It might be a few pages back or god forbid trapped in the archives but I distinctly recall there being a sake thread in here at some point. If I had search I'd dig it up but I remember it having a pretty informed OP and it's not like the info had changed over time making it out of date. You might also try the japanese cooking thread.

The wine thread has sommeliers that are actually trained on sake and probably can give more information.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Yeah I should add, which fits with other posters, that preformed patties are far inferior to the loose mince.

Unrelated:
Do you think Cadbury creme eggs are too sweet and could use a bitter balance? Ask your doctor if "some bullshit BrianBoitano came up with" is right for you!

E: I just realized I didn't do this prior years because I usually just give them to coworkers. Wife doesn't eat them and I am contractually obliged to waste no chocolate

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Apr 5, 2021

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

therattle posted:

Thanks. I thought of dosa but always think of it too late for the soaking. And I don’t have a large grinder. Would a food processor work?

Maybe? I've only made dosa batter with a blender.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004
In a neat coincidence I just came across this site from the Japanese national tax agency about sake that has a lot of good information: https://tourism2020.nta.go.jp/

From the site a very helpful little graphic, although I'd tell people to take the acidity/sando scale with a grain of salt:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

SubG posted:

Not related to veggie burger chat but hamburgers are one of those popular foods where the overwhelming majority of them are just terrible. And not just in terms of snooty that's-not-a-real-[whatever]-ism or anything. Just from the standpoint of technical execution or whatever you want to call it. Like I don't get fast food burgers not because of any ideological position or whatever, but most of the times when I have gotten one they're just soggy messes, or someone has assembled the bits sideways, or something like that.

Same with pizza. Pizza is hugely popular, but an astonishing number of pizza places produce pizza that's just execrable.

Not quite as popular but still common, and to illustrate it's not just American food staples, sushi is also a hugely hit or miss genre of food. Good nigiri and/or a good bowl of chirashi is among one of my favourite things to tuck into, but most randomly sampled sushi places are just kinda bad. This could be amplified by the fact that sashimi is one of those things where the drop-off from "great" to "good" is pretty narrow and the drop off from "good" to "bad" is much, much wider.

On the other end of the scale I feel like the average bowl of phở I've had is always at least "good" (and phở isn't even my favourite Vietnamese soup).

this is true with a lot of foods imo. people decide the base effort is more than enough because someone is gonna buy it so why bother doing better? see also, bagels/doughnuts/other pastries, coffee, tea, beer, french fries

i do find pizza particularly galling, though, because it's not really any more expensive to make it better since the base ingredients for pizza are relatively cheap

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

BrianBoitano posted:

Yeah I should add, which fits with other posters, that preformed patties are far inferior to the loose mince.

Unrelated:
Do you think Cadbury creme eggs are too sweet and could use a bitter balance? Ask your doctor if "some bullshit BrianBoitano came up with" is right for you!

E: I just realized I didn't do this prior years because I usually just give them to coworkers. Wife doesn't eat them and I am contractually obliged to waste no chocolate

i'd rather just have it with an actual cup of coffee

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

mediaphage posted:

this is true with a lot of foods imo. people decide the base effort is more than enough because someone is gonna buy it so why bother doing better? see also, bagels/doughnuts/other pastries, coffee, tea, beer, french fries

i do find pizza particularly galling, though, because it's not really any more expensive to make it better since the base ingredients for pizza are relatively cheap

A lot of times, the thought that goes in to the recipe isn't necessarily product cost (though that's certainly part of it), but also thinking of how you'll streamline production in a fast food kitchen, or maximum hot holding quality, or make it impossible to be screwed up by workers who don't care, etc. That's why mom and pop pizza places are almost universally better than chain pizza - the person making it is caring mostly about getting you a nice pizza for a price they can make a living on, and not concentrating so much on quarterly profits for 2000+ stores.

But yeah, if people are going to throw money at you for mediocre products, then what's the incentive to make it better?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Also a lot of people just have really bad palettes. Chipotle makes money hand over fist, even in markets with a dozen good taquerias on every block.

The average consumer doesn’t necessarily want what food snobs focus on as “good food”. I know people who get excited for all you can eat sushi.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!
Another thing to consider is that you probably get more discerning about something the more you have it, or when you're exposed to better examples of something. As one example, we're probably the opposite on pho vs. sushi - I'm generally pretty unpicky about sushi, and don't have much of a palette for the really good stuff at all. I'll happily eat grocery store sushi, and while I can recognize that restaurant sushi is better, it doesn't feel miles away at all, and any time I've had really nice sushi, it hasn't registered as heads and tails above anything else for me. The only time I can think of sushi being unacceptably bad is at an all-inclusive in Dominican Republic.

Pho on the other hand I have a lot, and I'm pretty discerning. Toronto is rife with pho places, and there's one or 2 that I think are really great and a whole bunch that are passable at best. In most other North American and European cities I've had pho in, it's often not passably good at all.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have a hard time trusting food recommendations from people who don't know if they're using a pallet, a palette or their palate.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

did somebody say Chipotle paelaet?

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

pile of brown posted:

I have a hard time trusting food recommendations from people who don't know if they're using a pallet, a palette or their palate.

Lol, I assumed I spelled that wrong, and went back to an earlier post to confirm I got it right. My spelling is as undeveloped as my palate.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

tbh i like chipotle salad bowls, but i treat it as its own genre of food. it's not mexican or anything, really, it's just a salad that has guac on it. really not a bad option if you're out and about and want to grab something. i haven't eaten at one in a couple of years, though.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

'Mexican' in general is something where there's TONS of food that's not in the slightest bit authentic in terms of 'it came from Mexico' but can still be really good, even if Chipotle isn't the best. A mission burrito doesn't have much to do with Mexico outside of 'is in a tortilla' but that doesn't mean they're not awesome from a place that knows how to do them well.

'Chinese' food is the same IMO.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

enki42 posted:

'Mexican' in general is something where there's TONS of food that's not in the slightest bit authentic in terms of 'it came from Mexico' but can still be really good, even if Chipotle isn't the best. A mission burrito doesn't have much to do with Mexico outside of 'is in a tortilla' but that doesn't mean they're not awesome from a place that knows how to do them well.

'Chinese' food is the same IMO.

yes of course but this is an argument people love to throw against stuff like chipotle. tbh idgi because they basically sell a bunch of stuff i would make at home none of which is individually bad tasting. i think people just like to hate on what’s popular.

anyway their food crimes pale in comparison to something like little caesars hot n readys which i’m sorry are foul

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

yes of course but this is an argument people love to throw against stuff like chipotle. tbh idgi because they basically sell a bunch of stuff i would make at home none of which is individually bad tasting. i think people just like to hate on what’s popular.

anyway their food crimes pale in comparison to something like little caesars hot n readys which i’m sorry are foul

I don't think Chipotle meats are as tasty as they could be, but every other part of what they make seems just fine in my (limited) experience with them. It's a basic-rear end burrito, there's really not much they could do to screw it up.

edit: Well there was the time when they served everything with a side of e coli and that seems bad

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

mediaphage posted:

Little Caesars exists entirely to cater to people like me that are very tired and very depressed. We want to shovel the maximum amount of pizza with the minimum amount of effort. And they're extra delicious because of it.

It's depression in a pizza box.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

fizzymercury posted:

Little Caesars exists entirely to cater to people like me that are very tired and very depressed. We want to shovel the maximum amount of pizza with the minimum amount of effort. And they're extra delicious because of it.

It's depression in a pizza box.

agree to disagree. lc is one of the only fast food chains where i immediately feel worse pretty much as soon as i’m done eating.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I didn't say I didn't feel worse after eating it. I just enjoy the experience of eating a physical manifestation of my depressed state. And at least it's better than eating peanut butter out of the jar while I cry.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

I mean, I don't order it, but I have no problem eating Little Caesar's/Domino's/Pizza Hut if it's being offered to me.

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

What’s the place that gives you little things of garlicky poo poo with your pizza, bc that place gives me a stomachache just looking at it

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

What’s the place that gives you little things of garlicky poo poo with your pizza, bc that place gives me a stomachache just looking at it

lots of places do but you’re probably thinking of little caesar’s.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I mean, I don't order it, but I have no problem eating Little Caesar's/Domino's/Pizza Hut if it's being offered to me.

i would eat dominos probably. pizza hut maybe. i’d happily go hungry than eat little caesars at someone’s house though.

fizzymercury posted:

I didn't say I didn't feel worse after eating it. I just enjoy the experience of eating a physical manifestation of my depressed state. And at least it's better than eating peanut butter out of the jar while I cry.

bizarre. also i’d much much rather just eat the peanut butter. because that poo poo is delicious and less, well, *gestures at all of little caesars*

Hawkperson
Jun 20, 2003

mediaphage posted:

lots of places do but you’re probably thinking of little caesar’s.

Oh I remembered, I’m thinking of Papa John’s. I’m with you though; Pizza Hut and dominos are edible, though not great. I have been at parties where the only food was Papa John’s or LC and grabbed fast food on the way home rather than eat it.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Hawkperson posted:

Oh I remembered, I’m thinking of Papa John’s. I’m with you though; Pizza Hut and dominos are edible, though not great. I have been at parties where the only food was Papa John’s or LC and grabbed fast food on the way home rather than eat it.

ah i’ve never gotten the garlic fingers from there.

they were the go to for my campus because you could larges delivered for $7.50 a pop

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Yeah papa John’s does the garlic dip which is probably melted I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter and garlic salt.

Hell yeahI put that all over my pizza as a kid. I also snagged the random pepperoncini they threw in there.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
I ordered papa john's stuffed crust last time I was feeling super depressed and I felt as if I'd done some sort of penance afterwards because that poo poo was flavorless and sad

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Hawkperson posted:

Pizza Pizza :canada:

And they're categorically worse than any pizza place you'll ever patronize.

In fact, their little pots of garlic sauce are the best things they offer.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

drat what kind of magic mirror did they put on that thing where it shows the real food inspiration of each of the colors.

I like how the peppers and onions turned into a wine color, rather than the average of red onions and green peppers, which would give a putrid brown color

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

BrianBoitano posted:

Maaaan.

I hate to say it
but I might need this

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I don't know or understand what that is but I do think it's extremely stupid, aggressively

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

How Wonderful! posted:

Maaaan.

I hate to say it
but I might need this
You should totally get one. I got one and I can't stop wearing the avocado green out of it. Just remember that it's ELF and you get what you pay for a little bit in the metallic shades.

...I should definitely mention that I'm really into weirdly bold makeup just in case.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm a Nyx girl, I was sold on their lipsticks and am scared to experiment beyond that. Because money. I do need to replace my gold eyeshadow though..

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

enki42 posted:

Another thing to consider is that you probably get more discerning about something the more you have it, or when you're exposed to better examples of something. As one example, we're probably the opposite on pho vs. sushi - I'm generally pretty unpicky about sushi, and don't have much of a palette for the really good stuff at all. I'll happily eat grocery store sushi, and while I can recognize that restaurant sushi is better, it doesn't feel miles away at all, and any time I've had really nice sushi, it hasn't registered as heads and tails above anything else for me. The only time I can think of sushi being unacceptably bad is at an all-inclusive in Dominican Republic.

Pho on the other hand I have a lot, and I'm pretty discerning. Toronto is rife with pho places, and there's one or 2 that I think are really great and a whole bunch that are passable at best. In most other North American and European cities I've had pho in, it's often not passably good at all.
I eat phở more frequently than I eat burgers.

I also don't think that finding a soggy fast food burger disgusting is due to me having some kind of highly developed gourmand sensibilities about fast food burgers.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i still love me some mcds. i like to order mcdoubles with bacon no bun. or a few wendy jbcs.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

SubG posted:

I eat phở more frequently than I eat burgers.

This is both normal and good. Phó is a really common breakfast/lunch for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I do hunger for a fast food burg on occasion but shake shack is about the only place that may make it well. So I Might as well go to a local place at 8 vs 13 for a meal.

It's like how a taco bell order costs about as much as a local burrito place now.