Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Programmer Humor
Nov 27, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Brain Candy posted:

look finding out that there is a report limit and that multiple users hit it every day and that it's double digit is hilarious

they should change it to single digit imo

and that digit should be 0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

here we have a top American legal expert and Democratic operative arguing in court that American companies should be able to kill millions with poison gas, hire slavers, and aid and abet child slavery without threat of legal repercussions as long as the victims are foreign.

all this 100% out in the open, yet not a peep from the people demanding we go to war to protect human rights

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

i trust skechers with my life

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

mods change my name to skechers truster

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

gh0stpinballa posted:

https://twitter.com/ggreenwald/status/1379074108512739331?s=19

Greenwald is incorrigible but Frum's smug interlocution raises another issue, which is that if you were truly educated and informed you wouldn't vote for or engage with the antics of any of these pieces of poo poo, democrat or republican. The incommodious definition of the Possible has rendered everyone captured and a neophyte, people with whom I do not wish to associate. If you vote for any of this you are an enemy. I will not sanction such buffonery.

Then make college free you dumb loving pieces of poo poo, the more that go the bigger your voting block

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

spacetoaster posted:

Yeah, it's really difficult because I do not have time to really dig into every single news article to find out who's behind it all. Honestly somethingawful is generally where I try and suss things out through reading people arguing about it. I don't have twitter/reddit/etc so just reading stuff on our forums is informative.

Cuba discourse is similar except the disinfo is incredibly low rent and unsophisticated by comparison these days, like it's all coming from bunko artists working for "the free enterprise institute" and similar although the methods are very similar. IE, read tea leaves on some demographic stats, accuse the government of lying about the specific items that would need to be different in order to support the narrative that they're coercing women into having thousands of abortions or w/e, and substitute things like "car ownership per capita" as important stats of how free and/or healthy the country is so you can say they suck at it.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's no reason to include Skechers says nothing bad is happening unless you believe Skechers saying nothing bad is happening has value.

It has the value of illustrating that all corporate statements are suspect, which is p. significant when you're arguing that Nike and H&M's statement mean a goddamn thing.

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

Relevant Tangent posted:

nobody is going to lie about finding out they've been using slaves
there's no incentives to pretend to have been using slave labor and every incentive to pretend not to have been

As we're seeing with the chocolate industry, they'll simply say that without slave labor that couldn't exist.

Im almost amazed how that wasn't a bigger deal

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

KomradeX posted:

As we're seeing with the chocolate industry, they'll simply say that without slave labor that couldn't exist.

Moralism is a disease.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Mandoric posted:

It has the value of illustrating that all corporate statements are suspect, which is p. significant when you're arguing that Nike and H&M's statement mean a goddamn thing.

I think this argument has degenerated into literally, "totally untrustworthy bad actors' statements have zero value when they disconfirm my narrative but nonzero value when they confirm it."

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

The Oldest Man posted:

Cuba discourse is similar except the disinfo is incredibly low rent and unsophisticated by comparison these days, like it's all coming from bunko artists working for "the free enterprise institute" and similar although the methods are very similar. IE, read tea leaves on some demographic stats, accuse the government of lying about the specific items that would need to be different in order to support the narrative that they're coercing women into having thousands of abortions or w/e, and substitute things like "car ownership per capita" as important stats of how free and/or healthy the country is so you can say they suck at it.

Is the Grayzone an ok news org?

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Cerebral Bore posted:

the funny thing is that according to your own reasoning sketchers are the only ones acting rationally here

no? if the state department is threatening to CIA/FBI you the rational thing to do is comply

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

gradenko_2000 posted:

Victims of Delaware Foundation

Trabisnikof posted:

Yup, Neal Katyal was likely going to be Hillary’s SCOTUS pick too lol

He argued that because we didn’t prosecute the company who made zyklon b that no company should be able to be sued for using slaves outside the US and also that there is not an international norm against aiding and abetting child slavery:

Also this bit from the case where Katyal argues you shouldn’t be able to sue a company in US courts for hiring slavers to enslave you:

lmao thanks

Relevant Tangent posted:

There's no reason to include Skechers says nothing bad is happening unless you believe Skechers saying nothing bad is happening has value.

Relevant Tangent posted:

no? if the state department is threatening to CIA/FBI you the rational thing to do is comply

do you see the problem when these two statements are placed back-to-back? no one worth listening to is claiming that skechers is the Genocide Determiner. what's being claimed is that the comically vast majority of articles and stories about xinjiang genocide eventually traces back to the US state department and/or adrian zenz. thus, when we find claims that don't appear to be sourced from them, we want to see what they say - not just skechers. and then we marvel at how the sources that don't trace back to zenz et al seem to be all in agreement. yes?

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Barely Relevant Tangent

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

spacetoaster posted:

Is the Grayzone an ok news org?

Yup. They're the hot sheets

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Relevant Tangent posted:

i was gonna say that you're doing an excellent job of arguing against your own point, but tbh i'm not even sure if you've actually got one besides sheer contrarianism

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Cerebral Bore posted:

i was gonna say that you're doing an excellent job of arguing against your own point, but tbh i'm not even sure if you've actually got one besides sheer contrarianism

That's kind of their thing afaict

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

World War Mammories posted:

lmao thanks

do you see the problem when these two statements are placed back-to-back? no one worth listening to is claiming that skechers is the Genocide Determiner. what's being claimed is that the comically vast majority of articles and stories about xinjiang genocide eventually traces back to the US state department and/or adrian zenz. thus, when we find claims that don't appear to be sourced from them, we want to see what they say - not just skechers. and then we marvel at how the sources that don't trace back to zenz et al seem to be all in agreement. yes?

I don't see why any corporation absolving itself is to be trusted but corporations actively incriminating themselves are to be doubted.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

the NSA can intercept most Chinese telecommunications, even terrestrial point-to-point microwaves.

the NRO has the most advanced series of phot-reconnaissance satellites in the world, with resolutional capacity well beyond the Cold War “reading the headlines on a newspaper in red square”

even the CIA has previously been able to embed agents deep inside the Chinese state.

so why haven’t we seen Iraqi WMD style evidence coming out of the US Intelligence Community? and instead we have goons looking at google earth and labeling building?

do they think going on the record last time was a mistake? will we see that in a few years once they’re ready for war? are they incapable of doing the job better than br*wn m*ses?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

gradenko_2000 posted:

Victims of Delaware Foundation
Re: Neal
https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-18-these-things-i-see

the tl;dr is that he was so good at arguing against the government at the supreme court, he was passed over for an SC nomination lmao

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

a great ep! alab owns

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Trabisnikof posted:

a great ep! alab owns

ALAB is great, yeah.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

KomradeX posted:

the most powerful argument in us discourse is "well the rich might be slightly inconvenienced if we did x"

PoontifexMacksimus
Feb 14, 2012

Mr Hootington posted:

Lmao my post sucks poo poo in that thread. God drat I suck

It's the fate of all posters to be betrayed by our past

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

alas the succ zone, withstanding admin and mod ire and hordes of hostile invaders, but brought low by Skechers

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Yinlock posted:

alas the succ zone, withstanding admin and mod ire and hordes of hostile invaders, but brought low by Skechers

its the s

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Skech Zone

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Trabisnikof posted:

the NSA can intercept most Chinese telecommunications, even terrestrial point-to-point microwaves.

the NRO has the most advanced series of phot-reconnaissance satellites in the world, with resolutional capacity well beyond the Cold War “reading the headlines on a newspaper in red square”

even the CIA has previously been able to embed agents deep inside the Chinese state.

so why haven’t we seen Iraqi WMD style evidence coming out of the US Intelligence Community? and instead we have goons looking at google earth and labeling building?

do they think going on the record last time was a mistake? will we see that in a few years once they’re ready for war? are they incapable of doing the job better than br*wn m*ses?

they correctly recognize that the us would be crushed and don't work to manufacture consent in the hopes they arent executed at the end of it, assuming china doesnt just glass the entire capitol zone

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

I don't see why any corporation absolving itself is to be trusted but corporations actively incriminating themselves are to be doubted.

it's not trusting skechers, it's distrusting the state department. the state department's attempt at manufacturing consent is derailed by some companies not going along with it. what you're doing here is not very different from "you didn't vote for biden? why do you support trump?"

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Rename those qcs threads to "the word zones" please. Pages and pages of words and all of it could be replaced by "no u" over and over.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

https://twitter.com/HeatherCherone/status/1379114406278266881?s=20

Goddamn the Democrats

witchy
Apr 23, 2019

one step forward one step back

Trabisnikof posted:

Nah the real answer is they gain more from not burning sources/revealing capabilities to fabricate casus beli when they can have a guy look at google earth and have state zhuz it up

witchy has issued a correction as of 18:05 on Apr 5, 2021

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

World War Mammories posted:

it's not trusting skechers, it's distrusting the state department. the state department's attempt at manufacturing consent is derailed by some companies not going along with it. what you're doing here is not very different from "you didn't vote for biden? why do you support trump?"

Why is Skechers immune to the state department?

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Even nike ducking out is less about them agreeing with the DoS line and more about them trying to avoid people remembering that they love to use slave labor and sweatshops for production

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

lmao

Homora Gaykemi
Apr 30, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Vote!

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it’s good to see a commitment to prosecuting cops

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

Tom Guycot posted:

Its things like this that make me wonder if 'they live' wasn't completely literal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Relevant Tangent posted:

Why is Skechers immune to the state department?

I don't know! I'm not supporting them!