Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i refused to get fat again too, but then i became a full-time computer toucher and a dad and oops

but then there was a pandemic that killed fat people so now i'm back to refusing to get fat again

getting fat is easy and delicious, unfortunately

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

Gentle Autist posted:

im reading this book (again) and read about thyroid function

then I looked up hypothyroidisim and I hecka hit some of the symptoms: overweight, depression, low heart rate, dry skin

im now getting a blood test on tuesday and hoping I have it so I can lose a bunch of weight without any effort and become studly and buffed with a simple pill. what could go wrong

it worked for me.

standard metabolic panels usually look for thyroid function but it never hurts to ask.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Achmed Jones posted:

getting fat is easy and delicious, unfortunately

UGH tell me about it

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?
Having a fitbit and a kitchen scale has been the best way for me to lose weight. It does a pretty good job at estimating your burn and it's not that hard to track your intake. I dropped 10lbs pre-pandemic, then couldn't be hosed, now I'm picking it up again and it's dropping off pretty well.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
i mean if you can weigh yourself on a kitchen scale i think you might be doing an extremely good job at dieting

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

shoeberto posted:

Having a fitbit and a kitchen scale has been the best way for me to lose weight. It does a pretty good job at estimating your burn and it's not that hard to track your intake. I dropped 10lbs pre-pandemic, then couldn't be hosed, now I'm picking it up again and it's dropping off pretty well.

i know that for some people being too strict with measurements leads to disordered eating. which, okay, fine.

but the people who complain about being unable to lose weight and then also whine about counting calories being "too hard" or using a food scale "too difficult" etc drive me up the wall

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
my stop-dying-so-fast thing this month is cutting the salt.

i was gettin a little happy with it.

i can compensate with a bit more spice and it has the upside of making my chest not want to explode

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

mediaphage posted:

i know that for some people being too strict with measurements leads to disordered eating. which, okay, fine.

but the people who complain about being unable to lose weight and then also whine about counting calories being "too hard" or using a food scale "too difficult" etc drive me up the wall

The biggest thing for me is just the mental hurdle of committing to it, because it is a daily mild inconvenience, but yeah. In tyool 2021, most people have the resources to do this stuff easily.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Jonny 290 posted:

i mean if you can weigh yourself on a kitchen scale i think you might be doing an extremely good job at dieting

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

Jonny 290 posted:

:dadjoke:

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
kitchen scales are great. modern calorie counting apps are great. it's still not easy with those but it's considerably easier. you just have to let the tools train your mind over time rather than becoming orthorexically obsessed with precision and numbers

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

yeah at this point i am able to just keep a running tally in my head throughout the day

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

i use my kitchen scale primarily for my dog's diet.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i use and like myfitnesspal, its made me much more aware of how much calories and poo poo. Mainlining a baguette and butter = a lot of calories

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Jonny 290 posted:

i can compensate with a bit more spice and it has the upside of making my chest not want to explode

yeah, i started keeping granulated garlic around years ago as a salt sub for soups and things and it helped me cut back on happy-go-lucky seasoning. at the worst it made some soup too garlicky but that forced me to more thoughtful in flavoring

shoeberto posted:

The biggest thing for me is just the mental hurdle of committing to it, because it is a daily mild inconvenience, but yeah. In tyool 2021, most people have the resources to do this stuff easily.

between myfitnesspal and a scale it really is. most package barcodes are listed already and default to a common measurement or serving, and if you're going for regularity it'll suggest recurring items for their respective meals

when things were spotty last march i wanted to get a handle on diet and food use and it led to dropping 18 lbs. and dropping junk food items

i gained some of that back out of deskjobbing but it's all there waiting for me to start again

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

mediaphage posted:

yeah at this point i am able to just keep a running tally in my head throughout the day

Gentle Autist posted:

i use and like myfitnesspal, its made me much more aware of how much calories and poo poo. Mainlining a baguette and butter = a lot of calories

same here, it was getting a good eyeing on portion from it that helped me. getting snacks that are light help too

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i also use myfitnesspal. my experience is that if you're eating food with barcodes use myfitnesspal and if you aren't, use daily plate. in grad school most everything was from basic ingredients so daily plate was better, but these days i eat a lot more barcoded stuff so yeah

i'm down 25lbs since i started tracking again. ideally i'd like to get down another 20 or 30 but im also reasonably happy with where i am. as long as i'm not gaining weight i'm pretty happy. i'll probably never again be as strong/fit as i was at 25 and that's ok (but i might as well try i guess)

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

some stuff like peanut butter and really nuts in general i am just straight up Not Allowed to have. my brain cannot comprehend the amount of calories packed in there, and i'm never satisfied with 100 calories worth or whatever when i weigh them out, so best to just avoid

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jonny 290 posted:

salt tastes great

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Achmed Jones posted:

i also use myfitnesspal. my experience is that if you're eating food with barcodes use myfitnesspal and if you aren't, use daily plate. in grad school most everything was from basic ingredients so daily plate was better[…]

i'm going to check it out! that was the one big shortcoming for me with myfitnesspal and home cooking. i either tried to guesstimate a good match or do individual ingredients, which was tedious and obviously not ideal in the app

Achmed Jones posted:

some stuff like peanut butter and really nuts in general i am just straight up Not Allowed to have. my brain cannot comprehend the amount of calories packed in there, and i'm never satisfied with 100 calories worth or whatever when i weigh them out, so best to just avoid

it's chips, for me. now they're only for a cookout weekend and occasional small bags, otherwise they vanish because

fart simpson posted:

salt tastes great

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

i eat and drink like a viking on shore leave. i'll probably be dead in five years, whatever

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

fart simpson posted:

salt tastes great

Not having a recognizable sinus rhythm tastes terrible though.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jonny 290 posted:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
thinking about buying some of those old-people sunglasses, where you wear them over your normal glasses

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i had clip ons for ages and they were great. my son snapped them in half, of course

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

i like to eat a lot of salt but i’ve cut back just because it’s probably better for my kidneys since i probably end up eating a bit too much protein too. i’ve always had bp on the low side of normal to the point where now that i’m not fat sometimes it’s hard to stand up without seeing spots

in re app chat myfitnesspal used to be great then under armour bought them. cronometer is the hot poo poo these days imo because they don’t allow users to directly edit their db

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Gentle Autist posted:

i had clip ons for ages and they were great. my son snapped them in half, of course
there are clip ons specifically for the frames i wear, i should probably buy a set

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

mediaphage posted:

i like to eat a lot of salt but i’ve cut back just because it’s probably better for my kidneys since i probably end up eating a bit too much protein too. i’ve always had bp on the low side of normal to the point where now that i’m not fat sometimes it’s hard to stand up without seeing spots

in re app chat myfitnesspal used to be great then under armour bought them. cronometer is the hot poo poo these days imo because they don’t allow users to directly edit their db

idk I think protein is fine for the kidneys unless you have kidney disease. then probably everything is bad for the kidneys.

my plan is to eat more red meat and less chicken & pork and relax about starches. and ease up on the red wine. it was getting a bit out of hand

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

my stepdads beer posted:

idk I think protein is fine for the kidneys unless you have kidney disease. then probably everything is bad for the kidneys.

my plan is to eat more red meat and less chicken & pork and relax about starches. and ease up on the red wine. it was getting a bit out of hand

ngl i miss starches and carbs. could easily eat a loaf of buttered bread hot from the oven. but my intestines don’t seem to react to a lot of carbs very well to the point my doc thought that i had an exotic colon tumour and made me get a ct lol.

these days i only eat carbs from green veg, plain greek yogurt, the occasional tomato, seeds and nuts, etc.

i didn’t used to each much meat, almost none at all for over ten years. but cutting out carbs too was way depressing.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

plain greek yogurt is so good

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

mediaphage posted:

cool, i hate using myfitnesspal, i'll check it out.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

gonna start referring to the mods as salt miners

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Stringent posted:

cool, i hate using myfitnesspal, i'll check it out.

i'm going to too, the upsell in myfitnesspal seems more intense this time. the blocked dns requests for ad and tracking servers are all over the place

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)
i liek food

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

I also like food. +45 metabolism sucks :sigh:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

so the (what I assume was) tendon pain in my other foot and shin is pretty much gone for some reason, but now my other knee is really sore - i guess because i sat on my leg on the sofa while playing Fallout 4 for a bit? marvelous.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

When I walk, the leg with the sore knee feels longer than the other one, like when you're wearing a shoe on only one foot O_o

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

standing up, sitting down, and transitioning from one to the other are all more painful than they should be :mad:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Sweevo posted:

standing up, sitting down, and transitioning from one to the other are all more painful than they should be :mad:

OK the knee is so bad I'm considering just staying here on this chair for the rest of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

3D Megadoodoo posted:

OK the knee is so bad I'm considering just staying here on this chair for the rest of my life.

go see a physio and in the meantime take some ibuprofen and put ice on it

do you do any stretching