Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Evil Kit posted:

Speaking of Lost, I just had an absolutely insane run that let me finally beat Mega Satan with Guppy's Collar saving me not just once but twice in the run. The Void portal actually spawned and I figured why the gently caress not? I then died incredibly stupidly to spiked rocks I didn't notice in a non-combat room. :negative:

I've lost at least 3 runs to spiked rocks. It's gonna be a while before my brain starts to account for them, especially with curse of darkness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i know exactly how to fix Jacob and Esau

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Are item description mods working?

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

JollyBoyJohn posted:

Are item description mods working?

Mods are disabled for the near future.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

Mods are disabled for the near future.

More specifically they aimed to have them working within two weeks of release, so not super long now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

Getting greedy and going for the extra boss item with the Lost transformation in Downpour II has been the death of many, many runs for me lol. Do you get the Holy Mantle effect in that section if you have it unlocked on normal Lost? If so I really need to knock that out.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

How exactly do I (late game spoilers) put items into the bag of crafting for B-side Cain?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

Getting greedy and going for the extra boss item with the Lost transformation in Downpour II has been the death of many, many runs for me lol. Do you get the Holy Mantle effect in that section if you have it unlocked on normal Lost? If so I really need to knock that out.

I've always had Holy Mantle for that section.

(I have still lost 2 runs to getting greedy)

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

For Jacob and esau they're basically a much shittier version of the forgotten lol, it's honestly kind of wild how the forgotten kicks so much rear end compared to the other bonus characters

Oh no I just realized I have to do keeper runs again gently caress

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

The Keeper isn't as bad now? I think it's in a good place

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

PostNouveau posted:

I've always had Holy Mantle for that section.

(I have still lost 2 runs to getting greedy)

drat! I unlocked it back on my Switch file but I wasn't planning on tackling Lost runs anytime soon here on PC, so I guess I'll get on that. I used cheatengine for the shop donation machine because gently caress that, but I may as well earn the greed stuff legit because I need those completion marks anyways.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

apparently Deep Pockets now lets you carry up to 999 coins so um gently caress I guess I need to actually unlock and play as Keeper now lol

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

OK id like to correct myself,

The main Isaac experience is one of my favorite chill out games of all time,

Greed mode just kinda sucks. It's boring.

E: I might cheat engine the greed mode donation machine lol, the donation machines aren't fun gameplay

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 5, 2021

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I just bought the Repentance after like 7 years of last playing BoI. I didn't get that far back then but now I beat the Mom on my first run. In next 8 runs I beat mom 2 more times, but it's not going that well in general. 2 runs were brought down by me not getting any keys for the item rooms multiple floors in a row, that sucks so much.
I have such a hard time dodging stuff, especially large amounts of projectiles. I get that this game does some kind of pseudo 3D with projectiles, with them able to fly above you, but how am I supposed to know where it is safe and where it's not with that?

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
keeper now is so much better hes no longer the worst character

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

goferchan posted:

drat! I unlocked it back on my Switch file but I wasn't planning on tackling Lost runs anytime soon here on PC, so I guess I'll get on that. I used cheatengine for the shop donation machine because gently caress that, but I may as well earn the greed stuff legit because I need those completion marks anyways.

The greed machine is really not that tough to fill up once you have enough experience to know when you're powerful enough to win. Like around Womb you should be strong enough to beat the boss and you can just save up from there (or buy soul hearts as needed). The greed machine doesn't jam as easily as the shop machine, so you can fill it in the normal course of unlocking in Greedier runs.

Also the second phase of the boss drops coins all over, so you can donate over 99 in one run

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee
So Repentance just doesn't work on Macs and no-one could figure out to put a warning on Steam or whatever?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Gasmask posted:

So Repentance just doesn't work on Macs and no-one could figure out to put a warning on Steam or whatever?

They're not even trying because of 32 bit support going away and having to sign the code with Apple.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

IUG posted:

They're not even trying because of 32 bit support going away and having to sign the code with Apple.

yeah im pretty sure edmund even linked to some indie dev's blog which explained this

Gasmask
Apr 27, 2003

And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will also gaze into thee

ArfJason posted:

yeah im pretty sure edmund even linked to some indie dev's blog which explained this

Yeah but it sucks that I only find this out by digging around after the fact. Surely the big brains at Steam could figure out a way to detect I’m on Mac OS and say ‘hey you can’t play this lol’ when I was buying it.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Gasmask posted:

Yeah but it sucks that I only find this out by digging around after the fact. Surely the big brains at Steam could figure out a way to detect I’m on Mac OS and say ‘hey you can’t play this lol’ when I was buying it.

Yeah it's not uncommon for most sites and applications these days to detect your OS and check compatibility. I'm not too familiar with Steam so I'm not sure if this is a Steam issue, or they just forgot to configure BoI to check compatibility. At least you should be able to refund it without hassle.

Maybe a dumb question, but what's the feasibility of running a Windows VM for BoI? Or would that eat too many resources

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Steam can absolutely tell if your OS can't play it. I'm a Mac user and I've seen that warning before.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i like greed mode

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

All the changed antibirth items are just soo good. Even Revelation and Mucomyosis, my old favorites.

Instead of an everlasting heart (which wasn't ported over to Rep because they're basically bone hearts i guess?) and brain worm, you get the angel boss laser attack along your regular tears + flight.
Mucomyosis was changed from making killed enemies explode in an infections gas to a tear effect that sticks to enemies, grows big and explodes in a shower of more mucomyosis shots and poison gas.

In worse news, I think they have removed the Leech as a drop from buckets and everything but rotten hearts from corpse polyps.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Accidentally disconnected my controller while doing the Jacob+Esau challenge and now the game thinks I'm in co-op and won't let me control both of them at once. :confused:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
My only two complaints about the expansion are a.) being forced to beat hush 3 times to do anything and b.) having to beat womb on hard with lazarus to unlock bethany. Hard is really hard now let me ignore it!!!

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Co-op is a great challenge and it feels well balanced. My partner and I were able to beat Mom once, and then almost beat the heart once, in our first 6 hours lol. I actually don't even mind starting all over from the beginning, because we're experiencing all the content from Afterbirth and onward for the first time, so that plus co-op practically makes it a brand new game for us. Game good

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am still stunned they didn't change gnawed leaf, the most broken and dumb item in the game. Two thirds of the time you find one it's an instant win (if you're desperate for a win) and that's actually all the item does, there basically isn't a non-degenerate use case. Idk if it works on the true final boss, but it works on everything else...

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Augus posted:

Accidentally disconnected my controller while doing the Jacob+Esau challenge and now the game thinks I'm in co-op and won't let me control both of them at once. :confused:

Happened to me on a run with a different character, couldn't figure out a way to salvage it. It was right at the start though so I just started a new one and it worked fine.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

wondering if i should keep exclusively playing on hard or if i should do some normal runs. are there powerful unlocks i should go get on normal so as to make future hard runs easier?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Probably the most useful non-starting item unlock for me is the stopwatch because it's op and shows up a lot but that's not tied to completion. Unlocking the D6 on isaac and the holy mantle on the lost are probably the two biggest upgrades by far though.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

I love how a super powerful and fun run can end with a wimper by just visiting one room you had no idea about before. Everything I had got rerolled and I lost all my power.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
the dice rooms own cause they can instantly salvage a dreadful run

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

I pretty much only play in Hard mode because I'm a dumbo who wants to get all the marks done I can done in as few runs as possible. Then again I should try turning it off again sometime and do some normal runs so I can take it easier.

Sininu posted:

I love how a super powerful and fun run can end with a wimper by just visiting one room you had no idea about before. Everything I had got rerolled and I lost all my power.

I'm assuming you went into one of the double locked Dice rooms. If glance around the dice and you should see a mini picture of the kind of dice effect it has (d4, d20, entire floor d20, d6, forget me now, d100).

Some people like playing games blind but this game is hard enough and often so obtuse I'd rather just check the wiki to make sure I'm not getting screwed.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

No Wave posted:

Probably the most useful non-starting item unlock for me is the stopwatch because it's op and shows up a lot but that's not tied to completion. Unlocking the D6 on isaac and the holy mantle on the lost are probably the two biggest upgrades by far though.

Stopwatch got nerfed and is no longer OP. Now it reduces enemy speed and bullets, but not by the full "slowed" effect amount, just like 20%. It's all the time though, which is nice, you don't have to get hit to trigger it.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

Stopwatch got nerfed and is no longer OP. Now it reduces enemy speed and bullets, but not by the full "slowed" effect amount, just like 20%. It's all the time though, which is nice, you don't have to get hit to trigger it.
I think it's still op given how often it shows up. Like runs are losable with it but it makes things so much easier.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

So basically have one be a familiar of the other, and give the ability to swap between the two? I'd go for that. Hell, I'd go for basically anything over the current implementation.

Pixeltendo posted:

How exactly do I (late game spoilers) put items into the bag of crafting for B-side Cain?

Press Use Item to activate it, then press a direction to do a swipe attack that also picks up items. When you have eight (and like the item it's offering you), hold Use to get the item.

Sininu posted:

Was this the dice room, or is there ANOTHER room that rerolls you?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

The only thing (most) characters get for Hard Mode completions is stupid co-op babies anyways, gently caress that. Especially now that we have real full co-op. You really only need the Heart/It Lives with Apollyon, The Forgotten and Lazarus, and everything for The Lost. I guess supposedly there's a new unlock for every Hard Mode note for every character but hahaha there's no way I'm ever doing that with Tainted Lost anyways so gently caress that.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
i was mostly making a joking reference to the fuckin insufferable ring tether mechanic from knuckles chaotix, which would probably just make jacob and esau even worse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm uh, "glad" that J&E are exactly as nightmarish as I thought they'd be ever since I poked around the Antibirth wiki to see what kind of stuff was eventually being added.