Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rhyno posted:

It's Transformers Dark of the Moon by a long country mile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aztK-OWOMl0

I watched this clip for 60 seconds and it gave me an ulcer. Michael Bay's style is so ugly and contemptible that I can't properly enjoy tudyk's cameo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

feedmyleg posted:

Attack of the Hawkmen, too. I'd throw Oganga, The Giver and Taker of Life in there as well, but it's more of a drama than an adventure riff. Daredevils of the Desert is better than Crystal Skull but not Temple of Doom.

e: I really wish that show wasn't so forgotten because the DVD edits make it such a vastly better show than when it aired. I really wish Disney would take the unproduced scripts and make an animated miniseries or something.

Are the DVD edits just removing the Old Indiana Jones segments, or do they make other changes?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The DVD edits also combine multiple episodes together and shot new bridging footage to more organically link them together. Some of the episodes feel a little disjointed because each half is so different, but most benefit from it.

I think some episodes have additional minor re-edits as well but I can't recall what and googling is hard after you've just woken up.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I've been going through Harvey Birdman on HBO max and sweet bleeding jesus I forgot how funny it was

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
It's like pure electricity. In my pants.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
My dad bought me some Space: 1999 DVDs a while back and I’m just now going through them, but holy moly does that show have an s-tier intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SpX8bVEmJo

I love it, it reminds me of the BSG remake intros.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Who knew space had so much hard AF funk

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Corporations make their own fan videos now and I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbcUfpbULw

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Mu Zeta posted:

Who knew space had so much hard AF funk

If I ever had the money to make a space opera, the music would be in the style of Sun Ra.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Mu Zeta posted:

Corporations make their own fan videos now and I like it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2HbcUfpbULw

Shoulda been animated :colbert:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

https://twitter.com/MrRPMurphy/status/1378041009481809925

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What about siren head

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I would certainly like to see what writers predict a hypothetical plague could be like

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Anyone check out Made For Love on HBOMax yet? Trailer looked good but I haven't heard any buzz about it.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
First 3 episodes are pretty good, it’s worth checking out

Nundizo
Feb 9, 2021

OldSenileGuy posted:

Anyone check out Made For Love on HBOMax yet? Trailer looked good but I haven't heard any buzz about it.
Thanks for reminding me that this is out

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Can't wait the see Cristin Miliotti in another relationship doomed for failure!

Gene Hackman Fan
Dec 27, 2002

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Argue posted:

Is there a reason why seemingly everyone on Twitter, Discord, and SA has been watching old Columbo episodes for the last two or three months?

because he's the rare example of a good cop:

• exclusively goes after the rich and powerful
  • knows what he's doing
  • doesn't exist

Gene Hackman Fan fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Apr 5, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

OldSenileGuy posted:

The reviews I read were glowing. I'm gonna wait til more of it is out to dive in, though.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Gene Hackman Fan posted:

because he's the rare example of a good cop:

• exclusively goes after the rich and powerful
  • knows what he's doing
  • doesn't exist

I’m only through the first couple eps of season 4 and Columbo hasn’t really featured many POC characters, but the few times it has they’ve just been treated like any other person on the show. The only exception I’ve seen so far was the last episode I watched, where a black character came looking for a murder victim because they hadn’t shown up to a meeting and when one of the LAPD patrolmen at the scene immediately started accusing and hassling him Columbo came over and told the cop to back off because he didn’t believe the guy had anything to do with the murder.

I mean it’s baby steps and all and maybe I’m reading way too much into it, but for a mid-70s show to 1)have a beat cop show racial bias and 2)have the protagonist of the show call this out as wrong was kinda refreshing. You don’t even consistently get that from modern cop shows.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Sirens is the only option that's not played out already let's do that

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Simone Magus posted:

Sirens is the only option that's not played out already let's do that

id like to see wtf they'd do with aliens

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
You already had them with Asylum and it was kinda dull

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Big Mean Jerk posted:

You already had them with Asylum and it was kinda dull

ah. i've only watched a random selection of the seasons so didn't know. that is a shame, alien horror is my favorite horror.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Aardvark! posted:

ah. i've only watched a random selection of the seasons so didn't know. that is a shame, alien horror is my favorite horror.

Tbf, part of the problem was that they were more of a secondary or tertiary antagonist force in that season and most of it was only in the last few episodes. It might be better if they go whole hog and only have aliens.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Big Mean Jerk posted:

Tbf, part of the problem was that they were more of a secondary or tertiary antagonist force in that season and most of it was only in the last few episodes. It might be better if they go whole hog and only have aliens.

Yeah, the problem with Asylum was it had like five good ideas (aliens, Nazis, zombies, someone possessed by an actual demon, wrongful imprisonment in an asylum) and then the ending... kind of waffles all of those rather than resolve any of them well, let alone tie them together. If I recall, two of those storylines are basically resolved in five minutes when the Nazi doctor kills all the zombies, then burns himself alive, and it's never really commented on.

In that way, it's basically the harbinger for most future seasons of AHS. Good overall ideas, strong start, and then fizzle out.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Asylum is great precisely because its so overstuffed.

Bloodyfaces all the way down.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Asylum and its topics, as messy as the ending is, is still maybe my favorite season. And definitely one of the half or so good ones overall (Murder House, Asylum, Hotel, 1984, with bits of Roanoke and Apocalypse).

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Khanstant posted:

idk, just keep seeing this card on Hulu and keep momentarily thinking it's a werewolf thing and instead it is just some dumb poo poo about some shady company

I just watched that doc, and jesus, it did the same thing HBO "The Inventor" (about Elizabeth Holmes and Theronos) did, where it covers all the shady poo poo they did, and then in the last moments, it's like "Maybe if they had a little more foresight, they would've succeeded, because they really only want what's best."

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Davros1 posted:

I just watched that doc, and jesus, it did the same thing HBO "The Inventor" (about Elizabeth Holmes and Theronos) did, where it covers all the shady poo poo they did, and then in the last moments, it's like "Maybe if they had a little more foresight, they would've succeeded, because they really only want what's best."

I tried watching the HBO Theranos documentary, and I fell asleep part way through. I thought the podcast The Vow did a better job covering it, especially about how her rise is pretty much entirely because she had an in with the Hoover Institution, and through it was able to entrance a bunch of horny old men who were high up in the Republican Party.

With the WeWork documentary, I was surprised it didn't cover a lot of the personally-lovely frat boy stuff that Neumann did, like requiring every WeWork office to have a personal party room for him and him continuously trashing places in the middle of the night on his giant benders with his friends.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Chairman Capone posted:

I tried watching the HBO Theranos documentary, and I fell asleep part way through. I thought the podcast The Vow did a better job covering it, especially about how her rise is pretty much entirely because she had an in with the Hoover Institution, and through it was able to entrance a bunch of horny old men who were high up in the Republican Party.

With the WeWork documentary, I was surprised it didn't cover a lot of the personally-lovely frat boy stuff that Neumann did, like requiring every WeWork office to have a personal party room for him and him continuously trashing places in the middle of the night on his giant benders with his friends.

I had to laugh at the WeWork doc when they showed a clip from an news interview where Neumann had Ashton Kutcher vouch for him and his company.

And his wife being a cousin of Gwenyth Paltrow; that whole Paltrow family's crazy, aren't they?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Almost every tech company I've ever worked for got in a tizzy when Ashton Kutcher's name came up as a possible investor. It was pretty pathetic.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

feedmyleg posted:

Almost every tech company I've ever worked for got in a tizzy when Ashton Kutcher's name came up as a possible investor. It was pretty pathetic.

The man played Steve Jobs! I mean, that's got to be the same thing as having Apple interested in your company!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

He's a well known tech investor that made some great early bets on Uber and someone else. He got loaded.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, Asylum and its topics, as messy as the ending is, is still maybe my favorite season. And definitely one of the half or so good ones overall (Murder House, Asylum, Hotel, 1984, with bits of Roanoke and Apocalypse).

i want one to watch, I liked murder house, 1984, and Roanoke. going to hold off on asylum for a bit. Hotel or Apocalypse? :thunk:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Hotel first because it's shittier. Also it feeds into Apocalypse.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Yeah, Hotel then Apocalypse (which is itself a big crossover of the previous seasons, so you might also want to watch Coven since those characters are big in Apocalypse).

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Roanoke, 1984 and Cult are so darn good

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

He's a well known tech investor that made some great early bets on Uber and someone else. He got loaded.

Yeah, but nobody gets excited about Random VC #4,272 regardless of how much money they have or how successful of an investor they've been. They all just want to hang out with a celebrity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Hotel was a "skip season" for me after the metal spike rape. No offense but I hate to see it. I wonder though if I'm ready to watch the trump season yet, skipped that one as well but the imagery of cheeto face paint stuck with me.

Speaking of cheetoes, nearing the final few seasons of Superstore. Really liking store-brand Office, especially the overarching unionization storyline, just nice to hear that sort of poo poo in media and really tackles the main thing I'd find distasteful about watching Walmart Office. Favourite part of the show though is just the customer interstitials. Between scenes, jus ta shot of shoppers casually doing wild stuff. Chucking trash in an easter display with a live rabbit, raw dogging some product in the aisle, someone just taking stuff out of another's cart, etc. I'd almost watch a whole show of just increasingly bizarre casual public behaviour.

Also been watching Frasier now and then and its filled with all sorts of bad 90s psychology and relationship norms. as a kid i remember it just being a little boring, but now its a lot sleazier than i remember. frasier is a creep and also not a good whatever-his-profession-is-supposed-to-be