Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Yup. My college handed them out. My roommate got invitations to host party freshman week because she looked so good in her face book (what it was called) photo.

However, I'm 61...
Total derail but holy poo poo are you the oldest goon now that we banned the pedophile Chicago cop some years back?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Total derail but holy poo poo are you the oldest goon now that we banned the pedophile Chicago cop some years back?

Nah, I've seen some older ones here and there.

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

Arsenic Lupin posted:

lol you idiot they died ten years ago this very night

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Would not have guessed 61 from your userpic but now you've got me wondering how old the oldest Homestuck fan is/was

I thought I was ancient for it at 29 so god bless

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

I went to the same university for my BA and MA, so 7 years total. All 7 years (and some prior) the editor of our humor magazine managed to sweet talk/bribe someone on the yearbook staff into printing his pic as Juan Valdez, Agriculture Major (note: we had no agriculture program). I never bought a college yearbook but when I saw one I HAD to check.

Which is now, of course, a joke most likely lost on folks younger than me.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
People in movies getting coffee is probably weird to younger people. Like this scene from Clerks.

Yeah, look at that dummy...drinking cold coffee. The ridiculousness of it all.

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Holy poo poo, that's awesome. What was he like? (Of course I'm referring to Chewbacca)

He was a super chill dude who went by Chuy and played a bunch of handball. If you brought up his name he just laughed about it and said something like "yeah my parents are hippies"

Last I heard he joined the military.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Slimy Hog posted:

He was a super chill dude who went by Chuy and played a bunch of handball. If you brought up his name he just laughed about it and said something like "yeah my parents are hippies"

Last I heard he joined the military.
Got a silver star for the Battle of Endor.

PurpleButterfly
Nov 5, 2012

Imagined posted:

My wife went to a rural high school where the entire graduating class was 30 people. Meanwhile my high school had to use the local minor league sports arena for our graduation ceremony.

Same. The ceremony at the end of my freshman year was at our local minor-league baseball stadium (I was in band, we played the ceremony). After that, it moved to our local community college's football stadium until we finally got our own football stadium some time after I graduated.

Back at my parents' house are 3 (I think) high school yearbooks, a high school class ring and letter jacket, and 1 university yearbook. (I'm a sucker for rituals and ceremonies.)

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Would not have guessed 61 from your userpic but now you've got me wondering how old the oldest Homestuck fan is/was

Homestuck is a weird thing because Andrew Hussie is 41, and it's full of references that the average Homestuck fan should have been too young to get.

Pontius Pilate posted:

I’m fairly young by SA standards (29, experienced plenty of overhead projectors in my life tho) and I used to sweet talk a bored high school librarian into doing all the physical labor of putting together my tri-fold poster boards; I assume those are basically extinct outside of, like, maybe science fairs, which could well be dead as well?

Science fairs are still going strong. I judged at one a couple of years ago. But yeah, they're fast moving towards the academic style of large-format printed posters. I saw a few posters that would put the average masters student to shame, and these were from grade 12s. (A bunch of 12th graders are now doing research rotations in academic labs and getting their names on peer-reviewed papers.)

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Krispy Wafer posted:

People in movies getting coffee is probably weird to younger people. Like this scene from Clerks.

Yeah, look at that dummy...drinking cold coffee. The ridiculousness of it all.

I'm old enough to remember when ice coffee was introduced in my country and how weird everyone thought it was. Like, everyone though it was just a fad that would disappear.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Science fairs are still going strong. I judged at one a couple of years ago. But yeah, they're fast moving towards the academic style of large-format printed posters. I saw a few posters that would put the average masters student to shame, and these were from grade 12s.

Speaking of old references:

https://www.somethingawful.com/fashion-swat/science-fair-swat/1/
(Seriously, it's probably my favorite front page article in this site's history.)

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Blood Nightmaster posted:

Can't get that precise number, but there are at least 15 of us over 50. https://public.tableau.com/profile/makin.smith#!/vizhome/HomestuckCommunitySurvey2020FanCensus/HomestuckCommunitySurvey2020FanCensus

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

e: I know nothing about Homestuck, just thought it was funny/interesting.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Imagined posted:

drat dude, more like MightyJoe66. :corsair:

Not quite there yet, but close.

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”

Homestuck is a weird thing because Andrew Hussie is 41, and it's full of references that the average Homestuck fan should have been too young to get.

This is true, a lot of the early comic has a ton of gags related to what could best be described as "late 80's to early 90's movies that were either direct to video schlock or felt like they should have been", so presumably things Hussie would have nostalgia for. I think for a lot of us the stuff we didn't have any memories of just came across as non sequitur humor instead.

The really wild thing to me is that the average age of a fan in 2020 was apparently 18-19, because I remember the comic being at its peak a literal decade ago when I was still in college. I guess it makes sense in that the crux of the material is literally terminally online teenagers? Like we're only gonna get more of those as the years go on, not less

Also yeah the pie chart is pretty accurate

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

(A bunch of 12th graders are now doing research rotations in academic labs and getting their names on peer-reviewed papers.)
:drat:

That sounds really impressive to me. Is it as big of an accomplishment as it sounds or is there a weird catch?

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Cheesus posted:

:drat:

That sounds really impressive to me. Is it as big of an accomplishment as it sounds or is there a weird catch?

The bar for authorship in the lab sciences is pretty low compared to other fields. You do have to make a contribution of some sort, but you don't have to make a substantive contribution. Having that authorship is a very good thing for the students involved, but it's mostly a matter of them having the opportunity to work on projects in whatever lab they're attached to. That's mostly a matter of who their parents/schools know.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

ultrafilter posted:

The bar for authorship in the lab sciences is pretty low compared to other fields. You do have to make a contribution of some sort, but you don't have to make a substantive contribution. Having that authorship is a very good thing for the students involved, but it's mostly a matter of them having the opportunity to work on projects in whatever lab they're attached to. That's mostly a matter of who their parents/schools know.
Sounds more like a way to signal that your parents have connections, and a way to build some yourself, with any academic benefit being entirely tertiary. Basically, just another way to signal that the student "comes from good stock" and will be a good "cultural fit" when they apply for college/jobs.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

That, but also does signal that you know your way around a research lab. If I was interviewing a kid that stuck that on their CV/resume, I'd expect them to be able to talk about what they did and what the research was about/what conclusions there were.

Doing well in an unpaid/poorly paid lab position instead of having to work to help make rent is both a privilege thing and legit separator, just tangled together. It's enriched for wealthy kids (poor kids never get the opportunity) and ones good in research. Wealthy kids who are bad at research and poor kids of all kinds are left out.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Pretty sure this thread covered iceboxes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4cdP99R2tQE

let me tell you honey we gonna move away from here
i don't need no iceman i'm gonna get you a frigidaire

Ray Charles had quite a few songs about women either doin him wrong or doing services for him and paying for things

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
To be fair, iceboxes have been a weird concept for decades. The idea of big chunks of ice that you sawed chunks off of is odd. Are ice picks even a thing unless you’re a fishmonger or a horror movie villain?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Krispy Wafer posted:

To be fair, iceboxes have been a weird concept for decades. The idea of big chunks of ice that you sawed chunks off of is odd. Are ice picks even a thing unless you’re a fishmonger or a horror movie villain?

I have an old rear end ice hammer for use with an ice box. It was my grandmother's. It has a small ax side for big chunks and sort of a meat tenderizer looking side for making crushed ice or meat tenderizing. It's pretty nifty. It's good if you want to make cube steak. Not that normal people want to make cube steak but I've done it before with it. It wasn't good. All cube steak is terrible.

It's nifty and you'll never see one. I can't even find a proper picture online.

Showing someone flaking off ice for a mint julep would definitely confuse kids. I don't think my kids even know what an icebox looks like. I've shown them one, it's just in one ear and out the other. They have no reference.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Oh man I loved the old pulp detective novels where inevitably they would would bring a block of ice and a bottle of rye to the room every night. They’d be chipping off ice and drinking all night, then one day waking up to a DEAD PERSON with an ice pick in their back and no memory. Good thing the survivor was always a detective, and a Darned Good One.

I think this started in Red Harvest but when I was on my pulp kick I ran into it a lot. It’s hard to believe how much short fiction was cranked out when a person could make a living at it.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
god drat, red harvest is such a good book.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Good lord ice pics are an old reference, you might as well be in a mystery thriller novel about trying to solve a murder at some old abandoned cabin out in the boonies far from civilization if you use those.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mostlygray posted:

It's good if you want to make cube steak. Not that normal people want to make cube steak but I've done it before with it. It wasn't good. All cube steak is terrible.

:wrong: Bread and chicken fry cubed steak and it's great.

nishi koichi posted:

god drat, red harvest is such a good book.

:same:

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Still my favourite reference to ice-picks

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ig3nOyrFRwc

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
An ice pick was a major plot point of Basic Instinct, back when couples would go out to a crowded movie theater to be titillated instead of the privacy of their own homes.

Other than that though the only other time I’ve thought about ice picks is when I learned about lobotomies. After that it took a long time for me to forget about ice picks.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I used an ice pick like two summers ago when someone bought some bags of gas station ice that had mostly frozen together into one big block. I was mostly just surprised that someone in 2019 had an ice pick.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?
Last night, I watched Gorky Park, and a few times in the movie, they turned a rotary phone to a number and then put a pencil in the dial to keep it there.

This is confounding to me. Apparently, it was a trick to block phones to incoming calls and prevent the phone from being used to spy on people.

I figured that's what it was for, but I wanted to make sure because it's such a specific thing to show.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I used an ice pick like two summers ago when someone bought some bags of gas station ice that had mostly frozen together into one big block. I was mostly just surprised that someone in 2019 had an ice pick.

I find just putting the bag on a chopping block and giving it a good whacking with a rolling pin works pretty well

Source4Leko
Jul 25, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
I've used a screwdriver as an ice pick many times but just to break up ice blocks to fit in coolers never to put the ice in drinks.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.

Source4Leko posted:

I've used a screwdriver as an ice pick many times but just to break up ice blocks to fit in coolers never to put the ice in drinks.

I want a screwdriver

‘Phillips head or flat’?

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Cracker King posted:

I want a screwdriver

‘Phillips head or flat’?

Robertson, that way it's made with horrible Canadian spirits

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Vodka, orange juice, and milk of magnesia - a Phillips screwdriver.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Cemetry Gator posted:

Last night, I watched Gorky Park, and a few times in the movie, they turned a rotary phone to a number and then put a pencil in the dial to keep it there.

This is confounding to me. Apparently, it was a trick to block phones to incoming calls and prevent the phone from being used to spy on people.

I figured that's what it was for, but I wanted to make sure because it's such a specific thing to show.

The microphone is disconnected from the circuit when the dial is anywhere other than its resting position.

This is because the pulses were sent down the same copper wire that the voice was carried on. If the microphone had still been connected, it would work in reverse as a speaker and produce sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwq5Y1-HJo&t=141s

I don’t know that this is a reference lost on modern audiences as much as a trick of the trade that the public never knew about.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Platystemon posted:

The microphone is disconnected from the circuit when the dial is anywhere other than its resting position.

This is because the pulses were sent down the same copper wire that the voice was carried on.

This is basically how most of the old school phone phreaking worked, right?

Guy Axlerod
Dec 29, 2008
The rotary dial pulses are not audio, they basically are hanging up the phone and picking it up rapidly. You could technically dial by tapping the hook if you were good enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Platystemon posted:

This is because the pulses were sent down the same copper wire that the voice was carried on. If the microphone had still been connected, it would work in reverse as a speaker and produce sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Skwq5Y1-HJo&t=141s

I don’t know that this is a reference lost on modern audiences as much as a trick of the trade that the public never knew about.

Wait, it's not common to have your place of residence and office bugged?

Have I ripped my apartment walls and mattress apart for nothing?

And will the person flashing their headlights using Morse code to tell me not to look for any bugs please stop. It's really annoying.