Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

It reads like they just don't want a bunch of 2FA texts all over the message list in the Messages app. Doesn't sound unreasonable, but also likely something that can't be automated.

99% of my 2FA texts come from the same number though (obviously a different number for each application) so it should be just a single text entry for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I just delete automated messages after I read them. I’m not going to need to refer to that authentication code in the future.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
Random-ish question: When I finally found suitable replacements for my 32-bit apps and upgraded from Mojave to Big Sur on my 2015 MBP a few years ago, I noticed a *dramatic* uptick in MP3 encoding speeds using LAME in Audacity. I didn't change anything else, didn't install the multi-threaded LAME fork...nothing. Yet my encode speed was suddenly not far behind where my M1 Air would be once I got it. Before, encoding one of my ludicrously long podcast episodes (let's say 6 hours) as a mono 64kbps CBR MP3 in Lame would take 10-12 minutes. The Big Sur upgrade cut that down to 3-4 minutes. (My M1 Air, by comparison, gets it done in 1.5-2 minutes.) I'm guessing some kind of library that LAME relies on within MacOS saw major improvements, but I'm at a loss for what specifically led to such a massive increase in encoding speed.

EL BROMANCE posted:

I don’t think I’ve ever had someone start an iMessage conversation that didn’t involve them sending it to my cell number, you’d think most people would just email if they saw the @icloud address. Interesting issue for sure. Until you find an answer (if one exists) it’s probably worth keeping iMessage in your dock so you can see a notification bubble if anyone else ever does this.
Thankfully it's been something like 6 months since the last time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hey bix, if you open up Messages on your Mac, open the Preferences and then click iMessage tab at the top, you can turn turn iMessages off for your email account.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Hey bix, if you open up Messages on your Mac, open the Preferences and then click iMessage tab at the top, you can turn turn iMessages off for your email account.

Will anyone sending an iMessage to it get any kind of indication though? This actually might end up being worse!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I don’t actually know 😳

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

I don’t actually know 😳
Also it won't let me uncheck my @me.com email, just my @icloud.com and @gmail.com addresses.

Do not even ask
Apr 8, 2008

My mother's old windows laptop finally crapped out, so I'm going to give her a 2017 Macbook Air for her birthday. She mostly used her laptop to check her email, do banking and printing docs. So outside of the printer drivers and the Pages app, is there any (preferably free) apps that would be good for someone who isn't technologically literate? Or will the base apps that come with macOS do just fine for her?

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
The built in Mac apps are fine, and you can set it up to disallow app downloads that aren't from the App Store to keep her from loving with it

Hitch
Jul 1, 2012

Is the Music app as garbage as everyone says it is? I think splitting the abomination that is iTunes makes sense but heard the Apple Music app was awful.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Fleedar posted:

This is my first time using Photos in a serious way so I have no point of reference there.
Photos has this automatic non-opt-out able facial recognition job that churns through your library when first installed. Is there anything in Activity Monitor that's pegging the CPU and hard drive?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Hitch posted:

Is the Music app as garbage as everyone says it is? I think splitting the abomination that is iTunes makes sense but heard the Apple Music app was awful.

It's much the same as how iTunes was, except it only deals with music files.
It's worse because some of the other parts that iTunes dealt (reasonably) with are no longer handled in any sane or intelligent manner, like how you can no longer have a remote audio/ebook collection as part of your general media library — it has to be on the local computer unless you jump through a ridiculous amount of brittle hoops.

Music itself is… meh… but that's what it has always been. The broken-off bits handling other media (except TV.app) are universally horrible.

Violator
May 15, 2003

Chris Knight posted:

Photos has this automatic non-opt-out able facial recognition job that churns through your library when first installed. Is there anything in Activity Monitor that's pegging the CPU and hard drive?

Oh good point.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Hitch posted:

It’s loving terrible. Genuinely awful. It’s so so slow and the UI is a mess. The search has been broken since day one and will always take at least two attempts to start a search. Selecting an album now automatically brings you into it so if you want to delete multiple albums from your library you have to remember to hold shift, which it never ever did before. It just feels like it was never designed for a desktop OS tbh, it all feels like it’s set up for touch on iPad.

I think I read it’s basically running a version of their web app now or something but I don’t know enough about that sort of thing.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I'm still getting this loving error and I have no idea why. This appears after perfectly intentional and normal reboots. Does anyone know where the logs for this are stored?

Puppy Galaxy
Aug 1, 2004

one thing I will say in favor of Music.app is that it is generally much faster than iTunes when searching for stuff. it is much less of a bloated mess than iTunes had become. but there are still plenty of other annoyances and issues - the latest thing for me is when I add new music to my library, it correctly copies it to the right folder, but when I go to play it it says the file can't be found and I have to either browse to it or clear it out and re-add it from the library folder.

i still remain frustrated that apple has made the experience of playing and organizing digital music files worse and I wish there was an alternative to iTunes Match, but I guess that's what I get for being a dinosaur who wants to own his media rather than rent it

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Man, I remember when iPhoto was brand-new and its entire party piece was browsing photos visually, i.e. using the search parameters intrinsic to an image, instead of as filenames in folders (the same way iTunes broke the mold by letting you browse by albums and artists and many-to-many compilations). And what made it possible was a lot of thumbnail caching that — crucially — made it start up super fast.

Like, the startup speed was the entire centerpiece of those apps' introductions on stage. It was what made everyone ooh and aah for Steve

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

I think the other big draw for iPhoto was the feature where you could use it to compose / order printed photobooks, something that's not possible with Photos unassisted..

Of course Apple did ruin the app when it tossed the photobook option and shoved in the mandatory facial recognition..

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Yup, the photobooks were great. I used them once or twice, and also the print service — I have a giant blowup of a shot of Denali framed outside my door that I got at the biggest size iPhoto supported. Came in a big tube.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

There are services that can get you the photobook now but nothing beats the simplicity of doing it straight from the app.. wish Apple would recognize and revive the poo poo that people loved..

The built in HDMI port and SDXC card slot are big steps in the right direction, but on the software front they're loving things up majorly with poo poo like I just mentioned.

Not even gonna get started about the current state of affairs with APFS..

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I use Mimeo photos, which has a plugin for Photos.app which works fine. Not quite as nice of an experience as the Apple-developed one they discontinued, but it works pretty well and the quality of the books are pretty nice. I made one with Photos.app just last month for my sis

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

I'm still getting this loving error and I have no idea why. This appears after perfectly intentional and normal reboots. Does anyone know where the logs for this are stored?

What leads up to the unexpected shutdowns? What kind of Mac are you using? I've been dealing with some issues with my work MacBook Pro where it will lock up after unplugging from a USB-C display. But some more information about what's going on would be helpful. You could take a peek at system.log in Console, but that sort of stuff gets deep pretty quickly.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

Binary Badger posted:

I think the other big draw for iPhoto was the feature where you could use it to compose / order printed photobooks, something that's not possible with Photos unassisted..

Of course Apple did ruin the app when it tossed the photobook option and shoved in the mandatory facial recognition..
They also ruined it by making the metadata section that bullshit HUD instead of just leaving it alone.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

The iTunes breakup was some real monkey paw poo poo. iTunes ended up doing a lot but that’s because it got extended for so many years, and the solid reliable core was still there for the most part.

I tried out the new music app and switched everything over to plex which actually works surprisingly well. I just wish there was a Mac-native front-end but Plexamp is the best I’ve found.

The mimeo photos extension thing looked promising but it kept losing state or crashing entirely for me, to the point where i can’t get far enough through the process to actually order anything. I don’t trust it enough to put any effort into making things with it.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Granite Octopus posted:

I tried out the new music app and switched everything over to plex which actually works surprisingly well. I just wish there was a Mac-native front-end but Plexamp is the best I’ve found.

Yeah I use a combo of Music and PlexAmp. I maxed out the music library and can't be bothered to wade through it, so that's now the 'Archive' collection and everything new goes into PlexAmp.

CerealKilla420
Jan 3, 2014

"I need a handle man..."
If you guys are looking for a good music player for Mac OS I've been using Audirvana for the past few years and I like it.

It is kind of pricey though. IIRC I paid $100 for it a few years back and they gave me a free update to the newest version.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chris Knight posted:

They also ruined it by making the metadata section that bullshit HUD instead of just leaving it alone.

…and also by having an image analysis daemon running with no opt-out option, which loves to chew up 150% CPU for no sane or sensible reason.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

nitsuga posted:

What leads up to the unexpected shutdowns? What kind of Mac are you using? I've been dealing with some issues with my work MacBook Pro where it will lock up after unplugging from a USB-C display. But some more information about what's going on would be helpful. You could take a peek at system.log in Console, but that sort of stuff gets deep pretty quickly.

Sorry, 2016 15” MBP on the latest Big Sur.
There isn’t anything unexpected about the shutdown, I press reset when the laptop is on, just... in my lap, and when it comes back and I log in I get that warning. I’ve tried poking around in Console and didn’t see anything :(

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

tuyop posted:

There isn’t anything unexpected about the shutdown, I press reset when the laptop is on, just... in my lap, and when it comes back and I log in I get that warning. I’ve tried poking around in Console and didn’t see anything :(

Did you have an unexpected shutdown or restart some time in the past? My guess is that whatever bit of permanent status gets set to tell the next boot the last shutdown was unsafe (file? nvram bit? IDK how Apple communicates this) isn't getting cleared by a normal boot, so every time you boot now it thinks you had an unsafe shutdown.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Be sure and do the Big Four mac troubleshooting steps: safe mode, reset NVRAM, reset SMC, and disk first aid.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

tuyop posted:

Ah that’ll do it. You should really shut it down by going Apple > Shut Down...

I think I misinterpreted. You are doing that. Hmm, but the other posters have some good ideas.

And honestly “Sleep” or just closing the lid is good enough for most purposes, but to each their own. Here’s a better explanation of everything from Apple: https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/log-out-sleep-wake-restart-or-shut-down-mchlp2522/mac

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

It’s loving terrible. Genuinely awful. It’s so so slow and the UI is a mess. The search has been broken since day one and will always take at least two attempts to start a search. Selecting an album now automatically brings you into it so if you want to delete multiple albums from your library you have to remember to hold shift, which it never ever did before. It just feels like it was never designed for a desktop OS tbh, it all feels like it’s set up for touch on iPad.

I think I read it’s basically running a version of their web app now or something but I don’t know enough about that sort of thing.

It’s not just running the web interface. It’s still basically just iTunes with a different name.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I'm finding Music better than iTunes because now the search bar only searches Apple Music, and I can Cmd+F to search my library. Don't know if that was possible before, but it's easier than what I was doing (searching then choosing which thing you wanted to search).

Having to mouse-over the now playing area to see the elapsed and remaining times though - in space that is otherwise blank - is just silly.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

tuyop posted:

Have you tried resetting your SMC? I've been plagued by the same thing on my 2017 MBP and reseting the SMC seems to fix it for a few weeks at least.

If that doesn't work you might see if you can get the actual shutdown code:

https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Binary Badger posted:

There are services that can get you the photobook now but nothing beats the simplicity of doing it straight from the app.. wish Apple would recognize and revive the poo poo that people loved..

I use Motif, it has a Photos plugin and you can order books that are indistinguishable from the ones Apple made. I’ve used them every year since Apple stopped doing books and they’re great.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe

spaced ninja posted:

Have you tried resetting your SMC? I've been plagued by the same thing on my 2017 MBP and reseting the SMC seems to fix it for a few weeks at least.

If that doesn't work you might see if you can get the actual shutdown code:

https://georgegarside.com/blog/macos/shutdown-causes/

FMguru posted:

Be sure and do the Big Four mac troubleshooting steps: safe mode, reset NVRAM, reset SMC, and disk first aid.

Yeah this seems to have fixed it. Thank you!

Fleedar
Aug 29, 2002
RARRUGHH!!
Lipstick Apathy

Chris Knight posted:

I actually wanted this feature to work, but it refused to do any kind of indexing or syncing whatsoever. No background processes running up the CPU and almost no network activity.

I finally bit the bullet on a 2TB SSD and as soon as I moved my library over, all of my problems were fixed instantly. It immediately started indexing photos and syncing with iCloud, and I haven’t run into any performance issues whatsoever.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I just want to say Big Sur and Bluetooth kind of sucks. Still. I have beat pro headphones and on the latest update when I pause media (Music, Spotify, Browser stream) and then I unpause I have to disconnect and reconnect my headphones to hear. I’ve deleted plug-in folders and reset all the resettable things and it always comes back. And it’s always wrong on the battery %. It’s poop.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

Sri.Theo posted:

Does anyone here use Microsoft Teams? I have to use it for an upcoming call and it's being a pain.

I'm logging in with my email address (the same one I use for my Office365 account) but it keeps taking me to a "Welcome to Teams" screen where I have to select the name of an organisation I had a meeting with once months ago - presumably because they sent me an invite.

But that just sends me to another sign on screen for them which obviously I don't have a valid account for.

Is there anyway to remove that association? I've tried uninstalling the app but it does nothing.

Yeah it's a pile of trash on MacOS, I had a recruiter want to connect using it and after 7 minutes it was just quicker to boot up an old windows computer and go through that.