Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

epswing posted:

I’ve gotten the sense from this thread that planes are worthless unless they’re older than my grandfather and can only be found at garage sales and estate auctions. As someone who knows nothing about planes, why is that?

It's because there was something of a dark ages for tools. Post WWII, people came home and suddenly woodworking was a hobby, tools were marketed and built towards that end. Instead of handplanes (and related) being built for professionals, they were built for the far larger market of hobbyists. Power tools like the Shopsmith became popular, things got cheaper, castings were worse, steels were worse, etc. Eventually (1990's, I think) companies like Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley/Veritas popped up and started making new and far improved versions of the old pre-war tools. Some time after that, overseas manufacturers popped up and made knockoffs of modern high end tools (as well as many companies still pumping out garbage).

Now the split is restoring good quality pre-war (or a bit after) hand tools, or buying modern versions from Lie Nielsen or Veritas (or the overseas companies like Woodriver).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

epswing posted:

I’ve gotten the sense from this thread that planes are worthless unless they’re older than my grandfather and can only be found at garage sales and estate auctions. As someone who knows nothing about planes, why is that?

Cheap metal, poo poo quality control so that nothing is flat or square to anything else.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I love my veritas low angle jack and am thinking about adding a bevel up smoother or small bevel up smoother but do not really know which one to get. Also maybe a jointer plane with a fence, but that's just a maybe, idk, maybe I'll just get a fence for the jack, or do nothing

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

I've got the bevel-up smoother and it's incredible. The little 'low angle smooth' is great, but it's worth getting the big bevel-up. Blade is the same size as the jack too, so you can swap blades between the two if you ever need to (you won't, but it's still cool).

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For me, restoring an antique plane is about these factors:
  • They're an old tool that at least one and maybe as many as a half-dozen people before me put to good use, and are still fully capable of another century of good use. By restoring these tools to a functional state I am honoring their tradition and adding to the value of the original purchase. I'm not making decorative antiques or going for a perfect, original finish, either; just a state of good repair and function.
  • It's a balance of time and effort instead of money. I've mostly gotten my planes for $30 or less, spent another ten or so on consumables (sandpaper, oil for the wood parts, sometimes a replacement iron or something), and wound up with a functional equivalent to a new plane that would cost $150-300
  • I really enjoy fixing things. Fixing a relatively common old plane I paid $20 for means the stakes are low when I gently caress it up, and now that I'm a lot better at it, it's an enjoyable pastime.
  • There's just something deeply satisfying about picking up a tool I know intimately (because I cleaned and fettled and waxed and adjusted every single part) and using it for its intended purpose, to good result.

I could afford to replace all my antique planes with brand new ones of equal or even better quality, but the above factors all play into it. I'm sure it's not for everyone, and it probably sucks away time that I could have spent actually making something out of wood, but gently caress it, it's not like anyone's measuring my "productivity" besides me. Someday I'll be dead and hopefully most of the things I made will still be around, but these tools will be too, and I hope most of both give someone else some satisfaction to own.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

NomNomNom posted:

Goons! Should I poly the top of this end table or just leave it as oil with some wax.

It will definitely hold drinks, but we don't have kids and could probably use coasters.

I'm torn because it'd be easy to fix any damage without poly, but poly is more likely to get damaged.

My vote is oil and wax. If it’s a pain to maintain, you can always remove the wax and do a film finish later on. I’d also support lacquer over poly, but poly has its advantages too.

E: handplane chat: my favorite tools I own are my half set of hollows and rounds made by Varvill in Norwich in the late 1800s and proudly stamped by their owner D. CALEY. Old tools are cool

Kaiser Schnitzel fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 4, 2021

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
I am super novice but I went for Japanese woodworking stuff specifically because I like the calm and the feeling of connection I get from stuff like filing down the high spots in a block plane. There's something really cool about knowing whatever busted up piece of wood and steel is potentially very useful with a little work.

Can't say this doesn't annoy me though

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

epswing posted:

That's when it comes to the modern stanleys and others in that price range. New modern planes that are good are made, Veritas and Nielsen for example.

The new stanleys and other stuff produced in india and china are the junkers that you avoid, generally anything found in a hardware store is gonna be junk.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Also from last night, what happens when you take sawdust and throw it in the fire

https://i.imgur.com/0vTR0MA.mp4

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Tfw you bought the wrong crucifom plates and now you don't have that sweet easy +2mm up/down adjustment and instead have to unscrew everything and lump it manually.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

Also from last night, what happens when you take sawdust and throw it in the fire

https://i.imgur.com/0vTR0MA.mp4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chfbRFJbuGQ
:v:

It's surprisingly amusing

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!

Bloody posted:

I love my veritas low angle jack and am thinking about adding a bevel up smoother or small bevel up smoother but do not really know which one to get. Also maybe a jointer plane with a fence, but that's just a maybe, idk, maybe I'll just get a fence for the jack, or do nothing

The Small Bevel Up Smoother is one of the best planes ever produced by anyone imo. Smaller no3 sized planes have a much easier time getting "into" a trouble spot than big 4-1/2 sized planes. Remember a smoother's job is to make it smooth, not to make it perfectly flat. A smaller smoother, esp bevel up, will also let you work with a higher angle of attack without wearing yourself out.

I have the veritas fence that attaches via magnets. It is "ok" but requires you to have your blade perfectly square to the fence which can be a bit fiddly. If you are able to get a board edge straight and just need help getting it square to the face then an edge trimming plane is supposedly the ticket according to Schwarz, Fitzpatrick, etc. But I dont have personal experience with one, I do plan on buying one however.

I'm with folks to a point re:old planes and some of my favs are an old V&B drop forged jack plane and a Stanley Transitional fore plane even if they aren't as objectively good as modern premium planes. BUT: the covid hobby-pocalypse has really distorted the used market for hand tools and finding "$20-$30" good restorable planes is much much harder than it was a year ago (and that was much much harder than it was in the 00's). The value prop is definitely shifting.

GEMorris fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Apr 4, 2021

Calidus
Oct 31, 2011

Stand back I'm going to try science!
I need more clamps, I have a cheap set of spring clamps from one of the box stores. I would like to be able to clamp some bigger pieces down, so I am thinking 6" to 12" inches. Do I just buy a a couple of cheapest bar clamps I can find online? Is there some super value brand out there?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

I seem to pick up a bessey bar clamp or two most times that I'm at the store. If cost is a concern definitely check Craigslist or Facebook marketplace. Clamps haven't changed much in the past hundred or so years and many of the older ones are straight up better

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Maybe a few pipe clamp kits and then whatever length(s) of pipe you need to accomplish the job?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Harbor Freight. While they sell a lot of crappy tools (and some surprisingly good ones), they're cheap.

I've found their clamps to be excellent, both in selection and price.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Calidus posted:

I need more clamps

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
F-clamps: for 12" ones Home Depot often has a Bessey 4 pack that is at or near the price of HF, otherwise HF is a good budget option here especially for 18-24" ones.

Pipe clamps: HF has these but the Bessey's are absolutely worth the premium imo

Aluminum Bar Clamps: Dubuque is the gold standard here, but the HF ones are cheap and work pretty good, especially if you reinforce them like Paul Sellers advises.

Parallel Bar Clamps: No good cheap options, and expensive. Pick them up as you can/must but of you are on a budget pipe clamps (especially the Bessey's) will be a reasonable substitute most of the time.

Wood screw clamps: Again Dubuque is the gold standard but HFs are perfectly functional. Can be repurposed for a lot of workholding tasks, not just clamping glue ups. Start with 2 of 4", 6", 8" and see what is most useful to you.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have a few HF wood screw clamps and they're really handy for just about everything. Stick them on the bottom of a leg of something so you can work it standing up, among other things. I don't use them much for clamping though.

Their ratcheting and their quick-release clamps kinda suck (if you aren't careful it's really easy to bend them), but their aluminum bar clamps are totally fine even when you get up to 36". Past that I think I'd be a bit suspicious though.

I have a couple HF corner clamps too. They're not as good as Rockler's corner clamp jig but they cost $10 and each Rockler set cost $40 so you take what you can get.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Apr 4, 2021

NomNomNom
Jul 20, 2008
Please Work Out
The bessey 4 pack at home depot is a phenomenal value. The 6 and 12 inch are just so useful.

The bessey parallel clamps are great too, I use my 24 in ones all the time.

Here's a finished shot of my two end tables.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The taper on those legs is really satisfying.

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
Oh also for F clamps there are two main types, the clutched type are more common and are excellent for 6"-18"

The non clutched heavier duty kind come with a deeper throat and are good from 12"-24" lengths. These can put down a lot more force due to their construction and clamp screw being much heavier duty.

Above 24" I'd switch to Pipe, Parallel Bar, or aluminum bar.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer
On round 15 or so of helping clean out my mom's garage I finally cleared off this old cabinet, and it turns out the awkward piece of equipment mounted to it is a jointer.

Mom says dad used it quite a bit back in the day, and it started up just fine for the few seconds I ran it.

It's only a 20" long, ~4" wide bed so not the biggest, but it's this worth tuning up and using?

I couldn't find any brand info on it.

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

I have no insight into jointers generally but that thing looks terrifying.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

On round 15 or so of helping clean out my mom's garage I finally cleared off this old cabinet, and it turns out the awkward piece of equipment mounted to it is a jointer.

Mom says dad used it quite a bit back in the day, and it started up just fine for the few seconds I ran it.

It's only a 20" long, ~4" wide bed so not the biggest, but it's this worth tuning up and using?

How do the blades on it look? Some jointers have more easily replaceable blades than others.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Hello thread, I built a stepstool for my toddler, fairly improv-style, it's very simple but I'm proud of how it turned out :)

As you can see, I don't have a very fancy setup, just some hand tools and a chair (drill is my only power tool). I also really need to get my handsaw sharpened :v:

Anyway, two questions:

1. Of course the legs aren't perfectly even so it has a slight rock to it. What's the best way to fix that? I feel like the best answer is to nibble the offending legs down with a table saw but I don't have one. I guess i could ask to use my neighbor's if that's really the only way.

2. Paint! I was gonna stain it but my kid has requested purple. I asked about this in the Fix it Fast thread and got a helpful answer but I will repeat it here, I have never painted bare wood furniture before so what do I do and what kind of paint do I get? Just like... regular interior house paint? I imagine priming will be important because the wood will be thirsty. The person who answered in the other thread also mentioned finishing with a few coats of polyurethane to toughen it up.
e: just as I posted this KS gave more info on paint in the other thread

alnilam fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Apr 5, 2021

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
This is awesome, and more importantly I love your "clap poo poo to a chair" work bench :v:

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I also would like a good answer to #1. I've done a combo of trying to saw half a blade width, sanding, using a file, and running it over my dad's grinder. All have their drawbacks.

Yeah, I've used regular latex and polycrylic (NOT polyurethane). It's a bit of a pain getting a lot of coats and making sure it doesn't run, but it feels like a fairly sturdy finish.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Check and mark where the high spot is, clamp a waste piece behind it to prevent blow outs, and plane it down. Keep checking and
repeat until sufficiently flat. Planing pine endgrain ain't the most fun, but with a shallow setting and a sharp iron shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

alnilam posted:

Hello thread, I built a stepstool for my toddler, fairly improv-style, it's very simple but I'm proud of how it turned out :)

As you can see, I don't have a very fancy setup, just some hand tools and a chair (drill is my only power tool). I also really need to get my handsaw sharpened :v:

Anyway, two questions:

1. Of course the legs aren't perfectly even so it has a slight rock to it. What's the best way to fix that? I feel like the best answer is to nibble the offending legs down with a table saw but I don't have one. I guess i could ask to use my neighbor's if that's really the only way.

2. Paint! I was gonna stain it but my kid has requested purple. I asked about this in the Fix it Fast thread and got a helpful answer but I will repeat it here, I have never painted bare wood furniture before so what do I do and what kind of paint do I get? Just like... regular interior house paint? I imagine priming will be important because the wood will be thirsty. The person who answered in the other thread also mentioned finishing with a few coats of polyurethane to toughen it up.

I'd scribe all 4 legs (on a flat surface) at the bottom with a pencil, eyeball which one is the offender, and use that coping saw. Table saw is a nope unless you can disassemble it. Also before painting, I'd round those corners a bit more because toddlers.

Painting typically you want to use a primer, then sand that. You could just use your paint as a primer if it's a budget thing. Interior latex trim paint is fine, and it toughens up pretty well. Idk if I'd even bother with polyurethane. Check with the paint store whether that and poly play nicely together. I forget which one doesn't go on the other.

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

My first jointer was similar to that, and that screw-lock handle is a pita. It was a 2-tool combo iirc, maybe attached to a table saw.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

alnilam posted:

Anyway, two questions:

Nice stool! I forgot to mention primer in the other thread but yes do prime. I think the SW wood and wall primer is what I’ve used with their enamel stuff but ask at the store. Idk if your toddler chews on the furniture or not, but milk paint and shellac is an old fashioned, more natural thing that works well on furniture and probably friendlier to chew on. I know there was some discussion about it itt recently if you search.

The right solution is what Just Winging It posted. The easiest solution to wobbly things is those self-adhesive felt/plastic pads. They make thick ones and thin ones and the thick ones you can cut down thinner with a razor if you need to. Not as great on carpet, but good on hardwood/tile.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

How do the blades on it look? Some jointers have more easily replaceable blades than others.

I didn't think to check that when I had access to it but I look into next time I do.

Can they typically be hand sharpened or are the dimensional accuracy requirements too high?

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

The felt pad solution is also good because as soon as you satisfy your woodworker perfectionist brain and have all four legs perfectly coplanar and flat with no wobble on your reference surface you bring it into the house and set it on your floor and it's a loving seesaw, because there is no such thing as a flat surface in a house.

Kaiser Schnitzel
Mar 29, 2006

Schnitzel mit uns

oXDemosthenesXo posted:

I didn't think to check that when I had access to it but I look into next time I do.

Can they typically be hand sharpened or are the dimensional accuracy requirements too high?

They can be honed lightly by hand with stones/diamond files, but if they need grinding send them to a sharpening service. Or buy new ones that will likely be better steel anyway. It's a cool little jointer. I imagine you could mount the motor underneath it for a much smaller footprint.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Rather than felt I was hoping to use something non-slip on the feet, like soft plastic or rubber pads, since she will be standing on it and leaning against e.g. the sink and I don't want it to slip back on her. But regardless those should still be able to be trimmed by razor blade to even it out.

Maybe I will try that before I spend ages with a coping saw or a plane trying to get it perfect :effort:

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer

alnilam posted:

Rather than felt I was hoping to use something non-slip on the feet, like soft plastic or rubber pads, since she will be standing on it and leaning against e.g. the sink and I don't want it to slip back on her. But regardless those should still be able to be trimmed by razor blade to even it out.

Maybe I will try that before I spend ages with a coping saw or a plane trying to get it perfect :effort:

I made a few stepstools a while back and used this on the feet:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000SL0KJM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have enough cush to them that unless your wobble is crazy, it'll probably just disappear entirely when you stand on it.

oXDemosthenesXo
May 9, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

They can be honed lightly by hand with stones/diamond files, but if they need grinding send them to a sharpening service. Or buy new ones that will likely be better steel anyway. It's a cool little jointer. I imagine you could mount the motor underneath it for a much smaller footprint.

Good to know about the blade sharpening. I was thinking about the motor relocation as well but the cabinet underneath is useful storage.

First I have to figure out if I can shoehorn it into my tiny shop space at all though.

JEEVES420
Feb 16, 2005

The world is a mess... and I just need to rule it

alnilam posted:

I am a fan of sandpaper taped/glued to a flat surface and sanding the legs till the wobble is gone. Just make sure to only hit the high legs till its even with the short before a few more passes or you end up with a slanted stool.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Is there anything specifically wrong with making a screen door out of 2x material if I can’t find something a bit thinner?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

KKKLIP ART posted:

Is there anything specifically wrong with making a screen door out of 2x material if I can’t find something a bit thinner?

As long as it has the aesthetics you want and fits in the space you have, I can't think of any issues.