Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

same.

i don't like where this is going all of a sudden. this is not the NEET i signed up for

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011
"Yeah the trick is to make your wife act even more like a bitch when you use her in a comic"

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

When the time comes say you are underemployed instead just to screw with them a little instead.

pnumoman posted:

Yeah, nothing was lost in translation, Princess is just being awkward as gently caress during a casual dinner with coworkers. The world is showing our NEET that he's not as much of a weirdo as he thought

I no longer want to know Princess’s backstory.

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

I really had to “bend” the translation on this one. I’m not entirely satisfied with it.

What Oda says here is “ヤラセか”, "yarase ka", and he does so in a really emphatic manner that requires some spin.

A yarase is a trendy term meaning “a setup, or a manufactured situation”. There was some controversy several years ago where Japanese media companies were hiring actors to supply faked interviews that served their agenda. It’s a common deceit in the Japanese media landscape.

https://kotaku.com/the-japanese-television-conspiracy-1602285870

The implication is that the TV company is using NEET to suit their own narrative, which based on the previous couple panels they certainly are. It would have been something circulating on the Japanese internet at the time of the comic’s publication, and Oda recognizes this and straight out asks, “Is this what they call FAKE NEWS?”

He’s just very excited about the prospect of being involved with a yarase.

In researching this I’ve also discovered that the term yarase has some popularity on the internet. In video gaming, a popular way to sign off from an online match (especially if you’re losing) is "yarase otsu", short for "yarase kedo otsukaresama desu", meaning “it was fixed from the start, but good game anyway”.

But mostly I just wanted Oda to say something silly there. I just hope my liberties with the translation don’t come back to bite me in the rear end later.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

God bless Oda

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Mackerel Cornflake posted:

I really had to “bend” the translation on this one. I’m not entirely satisfied with it.

What Oda says here is “ヤラセか”, "yarase ka", and he does so in a really emphatic manner that requires some spin.

A yarase is a trendy term meaning “a setup, or a manufactured situation”. There was some controversy several years ago where Japanese media companies were hiring actors to supply faked interviews that served their agenda. It’s a common deceit in the Japanese media landscape.

The implication is that the TV company is using NEET to suit their own narrative, which based on the previous couple panels they certainly are. It would have been something circulating on the Japanese internet at the time of the comic’s publication, and Oda recognizes this and straight out asks, “Is this what they call FAKE NEWS?”

In researching this I’ve also discovered that the term yarase has some popularity on the internet. In video gaming, a popular way to sign off from an online match (especially if you’re losing) is "yarase otsu", short for "yarase kedo otsukaresama desu", meaning “it was fixed from the start, but good game anyway”.

But mostly I just wanted Oda to say something silly there. I just hope my liberties with the translation don’t come back to bite me in the rear end later.

I love the translation notes

While I don't understand why you didnt go with the "FAKE NEWS" phrase, the make poo poo up? is much more memorable and would make a better avatar

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

simplefish posted:

I love the translation notes

While I don't understand why you didnt go with the "FAKE NEWS" phrase, the make poo poo up? is much more memorable and would make a better avatar

In the next panel the production assistant actually uses yarase. He says something to the equivalent of "It's not FAKE NEWS, it's a PERFORMANCE/DRAMATIZATION." No matter how I massaged the translation I couldn't get it to work without feeling awkward.

Honestly, "fake news" and "yarase" aren't 1:1 interchangeable terms, and they each come with their own cultural baggage. I'm proud of myself for making the connection, but in my effort to maximize readability I decided to go in a different direction.

You've all had to suffer through a lot of translation talk. Have one more today.

Mackerel Cornflake fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Apr 5, 2021

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

In the next panel the production assistant actually uses yarase. He says something to equivalent of "It's not FAKE NEWS, it's a PERFORMANCE/DRAMATIZATION." No matter how I massaged the translation I couldn't get it to work without feeling awkward.

Honestly, "fake news" and "yarase" aren't 1:1 interchangeable terms, and they each come with their own cultural baggage. I'm proud of myself for making the connection, but in my effort to maximize readability I decided to go in a different direction.

You've all had to suffer through a lot of translation talk. Have one more today.

Love the translation talk but i wanted to post this:

Blood Nightmaster
Sep 6, 2011

“また遊んであげるわ!”
As somebody who only took a year's worth of Japanese back in college I really do appreciate the translation talk, it is legitimately fun to learn about. I got the chance to interact with a handful of transfer students back then and one of the more interesting aspects to me was discussing our differences between cultures and language usage.

I can see why a lot of people dipped out of showing us the criminal timeline around here, lots of nuance that needs cultural context. After a certain point translation really turns into localization, which is a whole other ballgame

Selklubber
Jul 11, 2010
Nii's "I dont have those feelings for Princess" is super-fantastict smooth talking compared to Princess' small talk now. I wonder what Princess' unfiltered thoughts are now.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think Princess has a whole lot less interiority than Nii. She seems like the type who speaks her mind pretty readily and doesn't put a lot of forethought into what she says. Then again, maybe this is liquor making her talk like this.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

It's okay if it's not fully accurate, you can just make poo poo up!

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort

Mackerel Cornflake
Mar 26, 2021

Enami was able to
obtain that cereal
through illegal
channels.

You done good. This deserves another comic.

End of Page 73

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

If the answer had been "Yes", Princess would have started commuting by train.

BigBadSteve fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Apr 6, 2021

Xenocides
Jan 14, 2008

This world looks very scary....

BigBadSteve posted:

If the answer had been "Yes", Princess would have started commuting by train.

This is a bad comment but it is also exactly what I was thinking and I think I am a bad person.

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!
The next few panels contain references to material that some readers might find uncomfortable, so I'm going to spoiler tag them just in case. Like most panels, you can skip them without missing any of the story.

pnumoman
Sep 26, 2008

I never get the last word, and it makes me very sad.
Holy poo poo Princess, go ahead and keep poking at it, clearly no one is stopping you

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
She's been groped on a train... Cute

Rabid Boar
Apr 16, 2020

Soon, all of you will feel my hate, and suffer as I have suffered!
Princess showing NEET how being an awkward weirdo is really done, making not just coworkers but unrelated third parties uncomfortable

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

She must be stopped at all costs

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
waiting on tohru to take a big swig and start taking his shirt off again to clear the awkwardness

Idle Amalgam
Mar 7, 2008

said I'm never lackin'
always pistol packin'
with them automatics
we gon' send 'em to Heaven
This took an unexpected turn

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Her "trying to delicately deflect an inappropriate question" sense is tingling!

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Holy gently caress take a hint pricess back the gently caress off

Lord Stimperor
Jun 13, 2018

I'm a lovable meme.

Truth bombing her colleagues back into the stone age

Slam Pajamas
May 21, 2007
ALL TEXT TITLE ALL-STARS
She was the groper all along

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

finally a character worse than neet

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Shouldn't Super Tester be stepping in by now to scold her for this utter bullshit?

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
Pretty sure he can't even hear what she's saying to begin with

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

simplefish posted:

Holy gently caress take a hint pricess back the gently caress off

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002

I'm not gonna take it, but that's quite an avatar

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

frown

Also pls help us Thinning Hair Guy you're our only hope. Start talking real loud about your thinning hair.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

:vince:

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

too cursed for this thread :(

Edgar Allan Pwned
Apr 4, 2011

Quoth the Raven "I love the power glove. It's so bad..."
lol i was ambivalent about Princess but having been groped and harassed on trains gently caress her soooo hard

Brother Make
Jun 5, 2020

Post more NEET!!!
The next few panels contain references to material that some readers might find uncomfortable, so I'm going to spoiler tag them just in case. Like most panels, you can skip them without missing any of the story.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
:smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Jesus, her face