Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Yeah, I've really liked reading the golden age collections. Amusingly enough, I reread that story just a couple days ago too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Roth posted:

I really doubt I'm going to get very far but so far:

Action Comics 1 & 6: Art feels extremely rough, some good goofy out of context panels.

Action Comics 6 being a story about a lovely manager for Superman that just franchises him everywhere against his will sure has become interesting in the context of what eventually happens between DC and Siegel/Shuster.

Detective Comics 27 definitely feels like it has aged better than the corresponding Superman comics, and does feel quite a bit more mature in terms of content. It's more like a lowkey detective story than what Batman will become.

Batman 1's intro of the Joker is very weirdly creepy: Just random murders because he can, and nobody can stop him. The non-Joker parts of the issue are, uh, there alright and the less interesting parts despite also bringing in Catwoman.

Good luck. I didn't hit consistently good batman issues until 1979

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skipping huge swaths of Golden Age stuff is definitely a good idea.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Skipping huge swaths of Golden Age stuff is definitely a good idea.

And silver age, honestly. And bronze. And modern. Most comics suck, just like most of everything. I can't imagine torturing myself by trying to read all the lovely ones.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Vince MechMahon posted:

And silver age, honestly. And bronze. And modern. Most comics suck, just like most of everything. I can't imagine torturing myself by trying to read all the lovely ones.

It's curated a bit to highlight the more interesting stuff.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

I used that reading order to do my "hey, I gave up on DC around Infinite Crisis, I should go back and do Identity Crisis->present and see what I've missed" thing and even that took like two years on and off; I cannot fathom how long doing the entire history would take you presuming you have things to do in life other than just read comics between getting up and going back to sleep.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

CarlCX posted:

I used that reading order to do my "hey, I gave up on DC around Infinite Crisis, I should go back and do Identity Crisis->present and see what I've missed" thing and even that took like two years on and off; I cannot fathom how long doing the entire history would take you presuming you have things to do in life other than just read comics between getting up and going back to sleep.

Probably a long time. I'm just reading in bed until I sleep.

It had me read a 90s Elseworld story about the JSA called The Golden Age by James Robinson and I don't think I liked it or even really got what it was going for.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Roth posted:

Probably a long time. I'm just reading in bed until I sleep.

It had me read a 90s Elseworld story about the JSA called The Golden Age by James Robinson and I don't think I liked it or even really got what it was going for.

A bunch of it is brought up in his starman which should be read.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Golden Age is one of those books that I really liked, but it mostly is as popular because of when it came out. At that point the Johns JSA run was still Yeats) years off so anything with those characters was a pretty novel treat.

I just read the reissued version a few months ago, and it was fine.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

the Johns run also started with like six Geoffless issues written by Robinson as basically a direct Starman spinoff so the JSA was pretty much his baby for a decent chunk of time there.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Lord_Hambrose posted:

Golden Age is one of those books that I really liked, but it mostly is as popular because of when it came out. At that point the Johns JSA run was still Yeats) years off so anything with those characters was a pretty novel treat.

I just read the reissued version a few months ago, and it was fine.

I still need to read Golden Age. Wizard Magazine made it sound like it was super amazing.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I was not expecting Space Politics for the new Green Lantern series, but color me interested, especially as the other colored lanterns are showing up as well as the various Earth ones.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

What's the current status of the Blue Lanterns in the ol' DCU?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Well. The last we saw of them a couple years ago, their Central Power Battery was still broken. Kyle Rayner tried to restart it with his White Lantern power, but something went wrong and it didn't work; it's kinda suggested that Dr. Manhattan (yes, really) had interfered in the process, though this was never confirmed and the plot was never picked up.

With the universe being mostly fixed now, they might actually just be back, though we haven't seen them yet.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Adnor posted:

https://twitter.com/kthorjensen/status/1376924197687975937

Finally a DC writer with the balls to say it.

I think I need to pick up The Other History Of The DC Universe.

Wonder if they're gonna retcon Deathstroke being a pedophile rapist since he's supossed to be the big bad of the next Affleck Batman movie.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

They will never do that

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
They'll retcon Tara's backstory before they openly admit and condem Deathstroke's own abuse

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent posted:

Wonder if they're gonna retcon Deathstroke being a pedophile rapist since he's supossed to be the big bad of the next Affleck Batman movie.

... Did you just come out of a cryogenic chamber you were sealed in 3 years ago? Batfleck is deader than disco. He's gonna have a cameo in Flash and that is it for Ben.

Also isn't that page openly acknowledging and condemning it? Quietly retconning the sexual part of their relationship is honestly much more cowardly than allowing that in a book.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Vince MechMahon posted:

... Did you just come out of a cryogenic chamber you were sealed in 3 years ago? Batfleck is deader than disco. He's gonna have a cameo in Flash and that is it for Ben.
Regarding DC Movies, yes. I haven't heard or looked for anything about them in about 3 years, yah.

I meant retconning that he isnt a pedophile rapist.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Vincent posted:

Regarding DC Movies, yes. I haven't heard or looked for anything about them in about 3 years, yah.

Oh yeah I got that part. My second paragraph was for the posts above yours, who may not have though. I was just too lazy to edit in the quote.

Anyway, the next Batman is gonna be with Robert Pattinson and is a full reboot. The Riddler is the villain.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Vincent posted:

Batfleck has been dead since forever ago. It Robert Pattinson as Batmen Colin Farrell as Penguin, Paul Dano as Riddler and Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman.

Typing it out that seems like too many villains. Did anyone really care about the last 20 or whatever minutes of Dark Knight when Joker had been arrested but now Harvey is Two Face? Especially since Harvey was dead at the end of it?

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

...Harvey Dent is a really big part of the story so, yes.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Only time I've liked that actor tbh

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Skwirl posted:

Batfleck has been dead since forever ago. It Robert Pattinson as Batmen Colin Farrell as Penguin, Paul Dano as Riddler and Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman.

Typing it out that seems like too many villains. Did anyone really care about the last 20 or whatever minutes of Dark Knight when Joker had been arrested but now Harvey is Two Face? Especially since Harvey was dead at the end of it?

Penguin and Riddler are probably the B and A villains for the movie and Catwoman is probably to be more of a partner to the whole thing.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I bet penguin is only in it for like ten minutes in two scenes. I would bet (very, very little) money that the court of owls are the actual villains, and Riddler isn't actually evil. That's based on nothing but a feeling.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

Roth posted:

I, Frankenstein is criminally underrated.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

BrianWilly posted:

...Harvey Dent is a really big part of the story so, yes.

Harvey Dent was a huge part of the story, Harvey Dent as Two Face felt like an uneeded addendum.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Roth posted:

He's good in Thank You For Smoking.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vince MechMahon posted:

I bet penguin is only in it for like ten minutes in two scenes. I would bet (very, very little) money that the court of owls are the actual villains, and Riddler isn't actually evil. That's based on nothing but a feeling.

What's come out about the movie so far, last I checked, is that The Riddler is being made into a Zodiac Killer type of character

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

ugh, I really shouldn't have glanced at Suicide Squad, but I wanted to see what rationale there was for Conner Kent being there and as far as I can tell it's just "Waller loving kidnapped him and no one cared I guess."

I just don't understand what compels DC and its writers to...like, keep on indulging in this ongoing concept of this lovely corrupt Suicide Squad with lovely people doing lovely things that has no redeemable qualities whatsoever but just has to exist because there may have been a good book about it thirty years ago, there was a lovely movie a few years ago, and there might possibly be a funny movie that lampoons the whole concept soon. The very fact that this lovely grimdark squad continues exist in the DC world is a blight on its characters and I'd be much happier if I could just excise it from my knowledge of this universe.

Alright that was my :qqsay: moment.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
The Suicide Squad is best when it's subverting powers corrupt powers, including Waller, not obeying them. Obviously, the new cast is meant to tie into the movie but also try and fulfil the Future State plot which was...not great.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
I mean hell there was a good Suicide Squad book about that not like three months ago

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Xelkelvos posted:

What's come out about the movie so far, last I checked, is that The Riddler is being made into a Zodiac Killer type of character

Yeah but I bet the twist is he's killing owls.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib

Blockhouse posted:

I mean hell there was a good Suicide Squad book about that not like three months ago

Yea Taylor's run was really solid because it did something new, introduced new characters that we probably won't ever see again, and tried something new. This new run seems to be reverting back and as mentioned, trying to link to a Future State storyline that sucked.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Going from Just Hal Jordan to All The Earth Lanterns is a real treat. Good call, DC, don't screw this up!
(same goes for the continuing restoration of the Flash Family)

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
We had Connor back in costume for way longer than I thought we would.

It was only a matter of time before T-Shirt Connor was back, but dumping him in Suicide Squad out of the way just feels like a double blow.

Just give Kessel and Grummet another run with the character. I don't care if it's continuity or not, I loved that version of the character. Johns totally ruined him.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Once you give a young man Evil Genes, it's only natural that he will wear Evil Jeans.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

The Kesel/Grummett Superboy series was what got me into DC after a childhood spent as a Marvel Zombie. Even though I enjoyed Johns’ Teen Titans at the time, it never sat right with me the way he turned Superboy into a moody Friday Night Lights character complete with daddy issues.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Splint Chesthair posted:

The Kesel/Grummett Superboy series was what got me into DC after a childhood spent as a Marvel Zombie. Even though I enjoyed Johns’ Teen Titans at the time, it never sat right with me the way he turned Superboy into a moody Friday Night Lights character complete with daddy issues.

His Titans run is spectacularly joyless in hindsight, especially with the original TT cartoon being around for comparison or coming after PAD's Young Justice. Or even coming up with things like an a Hawk and Dove where both are women and not doing a thing with them and then just killing that Hawk off later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

BrianWilly posted:

I just don't understand what compels DC and its writers to...like, keep on indulging in this ongoing concept of this lovely corrupt Suicide Squad with lovely people doing lovely things that has no redeemable qualities whatsoever but just has to exist because there may have been a good book about it thirty years ago, there was a lovely movie a few years ago, and there might possibly be a funny movie that lampoons the whole concept soon. The very fact that this lovely grimdark squad continues exist in the DC world is a blight on its characters and I'd be much happier if I could just excise it from my knowledge of this universe.

Alright that was my :qqsay: moment.

There's a movie coming out. I think that's the entire rationale.