Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wear your accent proudly, CPL. But also be properly ashamed of it. The balance is key.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I watched The Omega Man yesterday, and it wasn't very good, but it did get me thinking: how common were interracial relationships in movies in the late 60s/early 70s? The William Shatner/Nichelle Nichols kiss couldn't have been more than 5 years old when The Omega Man came out.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

The Klowner posted:

I guess this is slightly on topic, I watched My Fair Lady for the first time last night. There's a lot to say about that film, but relevant to the discussion,

By right you should be taken out and hung
For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue

The Boston accent is close to what British people living in Massachusetts sounded like in the 1800s.

feedmyleg posted:

Wear your accent proudly, CPL. But also be properly ashamed of it. The balance is key.

At least this time no one is telling me to wear shorts.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
As a fellow short-hater, I would never.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Klowner posted:

I guess this is slightly on topic, I watched My Fair Lady for the first time last night. There's a lot to say about that film, but relevant to the discussion,

By right you should be taken out and hung
For the cold-blooded murder of the English tongue

What I’ve always liked about that couplet is that strictly speaking it should be “hanged”.

I’ve always imagined that CPL sounds like Freddy Quimby

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

The Boston accent is close to what British people living in Massachusetts sounded like in the 1800s.

At least this time no one is telling me to wear shorts.

What would happen if you had to Yelp like they do in Mexico or like Xena and had to roll your Rs?

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

therattle posted:

What I’ve always liked about that couplet is that strictly speaking it should be “hanged”.

I’ve always imagined that CPL sounds like Freddy Quimby

That's like me saying you sound like Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins. It's a lovely attempt!

Gatts posted:

What would happen if you had to Yelp like they do in Mexico or like Xena and had to roll your Rs?

I'm actually good at rolling the letter "R" and pronouncing what few Spanish words and phrases I know.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

That's like me saying you sound like Dick Van Dyke in Marry Poppins. It's a lovely attempt!

I'm actually good at rolling the letter "R" and pronouncing what few Spanish words and phrases I know.

Awesome. Release the tape CP.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm watching The Mummy 3: Chinese Mummy. Like Indiana Jones 4 an Die Hard... I think 5? it tries to put some energy into a flagging adventure series by having the main character's adult son come along on the adventure and argue a lot.

It works about as well in The Mummy 3 as it does in those other two movies.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Gripweed posted:

I'm watching The Mummy 3: Chinese Mummy. Like Indiana Jones 4 an Die Hard... I think 5? it tries to put some energy into a flagging adventure series by having the main character's adult son come along on the adventure and argue a lot.

It works about as well in The Mummy 3 as it does in those other two movies.

And as with those other movies, they can't stop having the main characters nudge and wink at the audience about conventions in the franchise.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Grendels Dad posted:

And as with those other movies, they can't stop having the main characters nudge and wink at the audience about conventions in the franchise.

That's not great, but it's a problem that can pop up in any long-running franchise. The adult son thing is wild. Three different very successful adventure franchises all did the exact same obviously horrible idea, to identical results. It's introducing a character the audience is predisposed to not like. In the father/son discord the audience is obviously going to be on the dad's side from the beginning. We have seen him go on adventures and know he can handle it, this new 20 year old snot posed punk needs to shut up and let his dad kill the mummy/nazi/European.
And on top of that, it ages the lead so loving much. A series can be going on for a bit, the actor may be getting up there in years, but as long as the action is well choreographed and the actor can still bring the energy and screen presence that worked in the first movie, it can still work. Unless they have their loving adult son hanging around. You can not ignore someone's age when they're having an argument with their adult son.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

What’s funny is that Indiana Jones actually did this twice.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Splint Chesthair posted:

What’s funny is that Indiana Jones actually did this twice.

Bringing the dad in was brilliant. It had the opposite effect as an adult son, it made Indiana seem younger. And conflict with a dad is universal whereas conflict with an adult son is not.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gatts posted:

Awesome. Release the tape CP.

What tape? I don't have tapes of me doing stuff.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

CPL593H posted:

What tape? I don't have tapes of me doing stuff.

I’m joking but a vid of you rolling Rs

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Gatts posted:

I’m joking but a vid of you rolling Rs

NEVER.

People here sure want to see me doing and saying all kinds of stuff. Maybe I should just make an Only Fans account*.

*No. I'm not going to show my peen on my Only Fans account, you creeps.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Speaking of arbitrary poo poo people get weird about on the internet. If you're autistic then ASMR videos are a complete loving nightmare. Everyone who likes that poo poo is a goddamn psychopath.

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS
Release the CPL "how to spanish" tapes!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Blood Boils posted:

Release the CPL "how to spanish" tapes!

It's very common for Spanish speaking people in my town to call people "White Devil" (Diabla blanca/diablo blanco) which I think is hilarious. My sister had a boyfriend whose mother use to call her that all the time.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Russian Lord of the Rings TV movie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vquKyNdgH3s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLevCLNnLmg

PeterCat
Apr 8, 2020

Believe women.

The accent chat has reminded me that since Jason Momoa grew up in Norwalk, Iowa, it means that Aquaman, a character raised in Maine to a Maori father, speaks like someone from Des Moines. Certain lines really jump out at me, in Justice League he says to Bruce Wayne "you dress like a Bat, like an actual bat." The cadence and timing sounds exactly like a lot of friends of mine from Polk County.

It's hilarious that Aquaman sounds like someone from one of the most landlocked states in the country. I want to see fresh water Aquaman leading an army of bullheads and snapping turtles against the forces of evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_u-WAIA90&t=192s

PeterCat fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Apr 6, 2021

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
https://youtu.be/bU4VKRPdjE0

Sometimes I feel like this could be used to nutshell movie discourse

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

PeterCat posted:

The accent chat has reminded me that since Jason Momoa grew up in Norwalk, Iowa, it means that Aquaman, a character raised in Maine to a Maori father, speaks like someone from Des Moines. Certain lines really jump out at me, in Justice League he says to Bruce Wayne "you dress like a Bat, like an actual bat." The cadence and timing sounds exactly like a lot of friends of mine from Polk County.

It's hilarious that Aquaman sounds like someone from one of the most landlocked states in the country. I want to see fresh water Aquaman leading an army of bullheads and snapping turtles against the forces of evil.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QF_u-WAIA90&t=192s

Chris Hemsworth's Australian accent mixing in with his attempt at a Shakespearean dialect in the early MCU films mean Thor sounds absolutely nothing like anyone else in Asgard (or anyone else on the planet for that matter) and it was so distracting. He's gotten better over time though.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

CPL593H posted:

ASMR videos are a complete loving nightmare. Everyone who likes that poo poo is a goddamn psychopath.
I'm overly sensitive to that stuff - poo poo feels like an ice pick in my spine and I hate it. There's only one good ASMR thing and it is, of course, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" by Bobby McFerrin.

Geekboy
Aug 21, 2005

Now that's what I call a geekMAN!
My local police are terrible (lol acab), but my favorite part of this letter is probably how they were totally taking a Surviving Edged Weapons course.

“Conflicting directions on knife issue
In 2019, we observed an in-service defensive tactics training course that included direction on using knives in a stab-stab-shoot, close-quarters scenario. Instructors also encouraged class members to try a selection of potential knives which they could purchase individually. These included t-handled and gut-hook knives intended to be used as weapons, not utility tools. PPB had not presented this change in the defensive tactics lesson plan to us prior the class. Numerous PPB members had already received this knife class before PPB informed us of it. PPB did not have then and does not have now any approved policy on use of knives as force tools. We immediately notified PPB of the problem of giving direction on use of a force tool without an approved policy.”

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Geekboy posted:

My local police are terrible (lol acab), but my favorite part of this letter is probably how they were totally taking a Surviving Edged Weapons course.

In 2019, we observed an in-service defensive tactics training course that included direction on using knives in a stab-stab-shoot, close-quarters scenario. Instructors also encouraged class members to try a selection of potential knives which they could purchase individually. These included t-handled and gut-hook knives intended to be used as weapons, not utility tools. PPB had not presented this change in the defensive tactics lesson plan to us prior the class. Numerous PPB members had already received this knife class before PPB informed us of it. PPB did not have then and does not have now any approved policy on use of knives as force tools. We immediately notified PPB of the problem of giving direction on use of a force tool without an approved policy.”

The SEW video that's a forum favorite at least doesn't have a section recommending cops ever use knives. Severely hosed up that's not the worst training thingies for cops.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Skwirl posted:

The SEW video that's a forum favorite at least doesn't have a section recommending cops ever use knives. Severely hosed up that's not the worst training thingies for cops.

“The Mexican saca tripas, used for gutting sheeple, and other warm-blooded animals”

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

As bonkers as Surviving Edged Weapons is for the obvious paranoia it likely fostered in any cop that watched it and the ridiculous satanic cult segment, it's extremely tamed compared to the batshit "warrior training" style stuff cops are exposed to in the modern day. Cops are worse now than they were in the goddamn 80s and it's because people made a conscious choice to train them and give them the legal freedom to be as awful as possible.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

CPL593H posted:

Speaking of arbitrary poo poo people get weird about on the internet. If you're autistic then ASMR videos are a complete loving nightmare. Everyone who likes that poo poo is a goddamn psychopath.

I have a theory about ASMR. Everyone is lonely, people don't have IRL friends. You can have online friends, and those can be great relationships, but at a basic biological level it's not really satisfying the need to be with other people. So ASMR is basically a substitute for the aspects of human contact that online relationships don't have. That's why it's all whispers and breathing and mouth sounds. It's the little audio cues that another person is in the room with you.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Gripweed posted:

I have a theory about ASMR. Everyone is lonely, people don't have IRL friends. You can have online friends, and those can be great relationships, but at a basic biological level it's not really satisfying the need to be with other people. So ASMR is basically a substitute for the aspects of human contact that online relationships don't have. That's why it's all whispers and breathing and mouth sounds. It's the little audio cues that another person is in the room with you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y6gLUFIxz0Y

Yeah, they're just very silly (sad?) intimacy simulators.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Gripweed posted:

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

I think he's supposed to be fresher than the rest, but I'll never be over the one normal looking zombie in Dawn of the Dead.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He's just a living guy who tried to blend in to survive, then got caught up in it a bit too much.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hes clearly a corporate zombie

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's not like grey facepaint is a convincing zombie look to start with.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

caligulamprey posted:

I think he's supposed to be fresher than the rest, but I'll never be over the one normal looking zombie in Dawn of the Dead.

He figured out the secret to their success.

TrixRabbi
Aug 20, 2010

Time for a little robot chauvinism!

Legit tempted to say it was a purposeful commentary on how corporate dweebs like that are already zombies so they wouldn't change much in death. Even if they were just low on makeup that day it's too good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

caligulamprey posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIOLd40wExc

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I figure he was a corpse in a funeral home that already was made-up for the service so the green doesn’t show through

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

Geekboy posted:

Not a single mention of knife hats, dogs, or stab lawyers.

Gripweed posted:

This is very, very sad. And you're probably right.

caligulamprey posted:

He kind of looks like he just stumbled into there not immediately realizing they were making a movie and just went, "gently caress, gently caress. Okay just act like you're supposed to be there no one will notice.".