Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

cigaw posted:

Interesting! Thanks for the answer!

I wish there was an easier way of knowing when or where you might be refused one but I guess it just comes down to familiarity with the facilities around you. I imagine that being bounced over to FSS to file a plan after weather moved in would suck but screw the people gaming the system trying to airfile to Teterboro lol

Sometimes around big events that have a bunch of private jet level rich people attending you'll see a notam warning that pop up IFR clearances won't be available. Inevitably people still try. Apparently it was a total poo poo-show in AUS after the first F1 race there when something like 60+ bizjets all tried to get IFR clearances at basically the same time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

KodiakRS posted:

Sometimes around big events that have a bunch of private jet level rich people attending you'll see a notam warning that pop up IFR clearances won't be available. Inevitably people still try. Apparently it was a total poo poo-show in AUS after the first F1 race there when something like 60+ bizjets all tried to get IFR clearances at basically the same time.

Apparently the FAA turned off funding for Augusta to have a tower for the Masters this year.

SHOULD BE FUN.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I remember going to flight school in Daytona Beach (no, I was too poor for Embry Riddle) and the entire airport shutting down for the Daytona 500 because of the TFR.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Well that's less than ideal

MrYenko posted:

Apparently the FAA turned off funding for Augusta to have a tower for the Masters this year.

SHOULD BE FUN.
Now if they can just quit supporting the goddamn EAA, we'd be set.

Man I hate EAA.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just because of Oshkosh, or it it deeper than that?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

Sagebrush posted:

Just because of Oshkosh, or it it deeper than that?
Yeah, I should say I hate airventure specifically. I don't really know anything about the organization otherwise.

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

What's wrong with the EAA? They lobby against privatization. That alone makes them okay by me, and I actually have to work the Oshkosh madness.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Got a piece of paper yesterday saying I'm an essential person who's eligible for the vaccine. I've already gotten my first dose with the second already scheduled. LOL

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

its all nice on rice posted:

Got a piece of paper yesterday saying I'm an essential person who's eligible for the vaccine. I've already gotten my first dose with the second already scheduled. LOL

An essential worker with priority for the vaccine (that depends on your state and local authorities deciding they agree with the federal guidelines which Florida doesn’t.)

The FAA is perpetually a day late and a dollar short.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I got my second shot a bit over a week ago. The FAA is still completely reliant on the states. Our ATM was working on something with the national guard at one point but that fell through. It didn't matter though as our county did a mass vaccination and we lost like half the facility at once for both doses.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

...and we lost like half the facility at once for both doses.

One sup in my building mentioned at one point that we should like, ask permission to get vaccinated so as to not turbo-gently caress the schedule.

I laughed at him. And not like a spiteful gently caress-you kind of laugh. A full on genuine laugh where I almost couldn’t talk or breathe. Because the FAA hasn’t given a single gently caress about my well being at any point so far; I’m not asking their loving permission to get vaccinated.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

One sup in my building mentioned at one point that we should like, ask permission to get vaccinated so as to not turbo-gently caress the schedule.

I laughed at him. And not like a spiteful gently caress-you kind of laugh. A full on genuine laugh where I almost couldn’t talk or breathe. Because the FAA hasn’t given a single gently caress about my well being at any point so far; I’m not asking their loving permission to get vaccinated.

We never got past "please get it in conjunction with your weekend if possible". Then the county did what they told the facility they wouldn't do and blasted out an email about a mass vaccination site. No one was ready for it and our facrep said she told the ATM that even if something like that happened that no one would use sick leave to cover it. Well, they did. They did all get EA for the second dose at least but our staffing was a loving wreck.

Thankfully it's not a ton of people, but we do have folks shopping different vaccination dates to make sure they get EA.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

That system is pretty much right on the ZMA/ZJX boundary. Our TMO (who is the worst kind of ladder climber) is currently about to poo poo herself in the control room because ZJX told her “lol no, go gently caress yourself, we’re not taking any northbound traffic that you’re dumb enough to try to force through that.”

And yes, our TMU is dumb enough to try to force airplanes through that so they don’t have to explain delays to the command center.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Related to recent discussions, I just found the NOTAM for Sun n Fun and it looks like something I would never want to try: https://www.faa.gov/air_traffic/publications/domesticnotices/sp21001.html

From the air. I have been there via car a few times and it was fun.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

That system is pretty much right on the ZMA/ZJX boundary. Our TMO (who is the worst kind of ladder climber) is currently about to poo poo herself in the control room because ZJX told her “lol no, go gently caress yourself, we’re not taking any northbound traffic that you’re dumb enough to try to force through that.”

And yes, our TMU is dumb enough to try to force airplanes through that so they don’t have to explain delays to the command center.

My opinion on TMU hasn't changed since becoming a supervisor. They're loving worthless.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
London City went remote.

https://twitter.com/reuters/status/1388151153544753153?s=21

Ramp control for the new terminal here in Orlando is going to be similar to this too but I think they said it will still be on site, not 90 miles away. Also the FAA controllers will still be in the tower.

TangoFox
Jan 29, 2016
That's pretty cool. I thought they were also testing this somewhere in conjuction with NATCA? I'm thinking Colorado or Utah? Anyone know?

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

TangoFox posted:

That's pretty cool. I thought they were also testing this somewhere in conjuction with NATCA? I'm thinking Colorado or Utah? Anyone know?
I think Leesburg in Virginia (KJYO) has a remote tower, Saab was the contractor if I'm remembering right. I don't know if the controllers out there are unionized NATCA folks or not though, it's a contract tower at present.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
A plane with tail number N4204U.
Mocking us and the things we cannot enjoy.

notaviking
Aug 15, 2011

You can run, but you'll just die tired...
Ever deal with unmanned military aircraft (I.e. Global Hawk, Predator) coming across your airspace? Always wondered how that works since it’s not like you have radio comms directly to the guy actually flying the unmanned aircraft (or do you?)

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Old Crows posted:

Ever deal with unmanned military aircraft (I.e. Global Hawk, Predator) coming across your airspace? Always wondered how that works since it’s not like you have radio comms directly to the guy actually flying the unmanned aircraft (or do you?)

You do. The aircraft has normal VHF/UHF radios that locally broadcast the voice comms that come down off the satellite uplink. I worked a Triton once a couple years ago, but we’re probably going to start to see more of them soon; The Navy bought a bunch of them, and one squadron is getting home-based at NAS Jacksonville.

I think Predators are the same, but I’ve never seen one. I’ve seen some smaller drone ops in our range complex, but we just blocked the airspace and treated it as a hot range, they never came out of there airborne.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/27/politics/vaccine-mandate-for-federal-employees-under-consideration/index.html

That's gonna be fun!

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.

So.... How do you think it's going to play out?

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

So.... How do you think it's going to play out?

Lawsuits. Lots and lots of lawsuits.

There's the option for regular testing but it's going to be fun to see people lose their minds.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Jul 28, 2021

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

fknlo posted:

Lawsuits. Lots and lots of lawsuits.

There's the option for regular testing but it's going to be fun to see people lose their minds.

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is going to be audible from the flight levels.

JohnClark
Mar 24, 2005

MrYenko posted:

The wailing and gnashing of teeth is going to be audible from the flight levels.
I'm glad I'm not a supe anymore for many reasons, but not now having to deal with the bullshit from whatever anti-vaxxers exist at my old facility is certainly in the top 3.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

JohnClark posted:

I'm glad I'm not a supe anymore for many reasons, but not now having to deal with the bullshit from whatever anti-vaxxers exist at my old facility is certainly in the top 3.

I don't think I'll have many issues with my crew/area. Some of the other areas though...

I'm sure the guy that had multiple discipline issues with the mask mandate, wore a 3 percenter mask when he finally complied, is absolutely not vaccinated yet doesn't wear a mask probably won't cause any problems :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm an hour into the first of 4 days of zoom meetings for the management koolaid class and I already want to die.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
I think the cover of the Air Traffic Control game I wrote in 1982 is awesome:

Thank you Avalon Hill

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

fknlo posted:

I'm an hour into the first of 4 days of zoom meetings for the management koolaid class and I already want to die.

OSW or something else?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

VideoGameVet posted:

I think the cover of the Air Traffic Control game I wrote in 1982 is awesome:

Thank you Avalon Hill

That’s cool as poo poo.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

OSW or something else?

SYFY. It's not great.

e: Day 2. WoW is down for extended maintenance. Please send help.

fknlo fucked around with this message at 16:05 on Aug 31, 2021

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Anyone at C90?

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:
Question from a pilot: If our clearance includes an RNAV SID when do tower controllers have to include "RNAV to (first fix)" as part of their takeoff clearance? Some towers will say it every time and treat it as a mandatory readback, some will say it but don't care if it gets read back, and some don't even mention it and just assume you're going to fly the SID you were assigned with your route clearance.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

fknlo posted:

SYFY. It's not great.

e: Day 2. WoW is down for extended maintenance. Please send help.

Yo dude... Did you make it? Haha

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Krime posted:

Yo dude... Did you make it? Haha

Performance management is my most important job as a supervisor and my employees love it.

:lol:

That one day was rough. I'm not the type of person that class was designed for. It might have been helpful with a couple things if I'd done it my first month or two as a supervisor? 9 months in and it was a complete waste of time.

In other news, D01 has stopped taking medevacs on anything but "routing in the LOA". Blanket denying apreq's kind of poo poo. It's causing quite a dust up in the building and I'm doing my part to stir the pot because it's complete horse poo poo.

aunt jenkins
Jan 12, 2001

KodiakRS posted:

Question from a pilot: If our clearance includes an RNAV SID when do tower controllers have to include "RNAV to (first fix)" as part of their takeoff clearance? Some towers will say it every time and treat it as a mandatory readback, some will say it but don't care if it gets read back, and some don't even mention it and just assume you're going to fly the SID you were assigned with your route clearance.

Not an ATC but nobody else has answered and I know the answer so. It's required when parallel departures are in use. From the .65, specifically 5-8-2:

quote:

When conducting simultaneous parallel runway departures utilizing RNAV SIDs, advise aircraft of the initial fix/waypoint on the RNAV route.

PHRASEOLOGY-
RNAV to (fix/waypoint), RUNWAY (number), CLEARED FOR TAKEOFF.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

aunt jenkins posted:

Not an ATC but nobody else has answered and I know the answer so. It's required when parallel departures are in use. From the .65, specifically 5-8-2:

We’re mostly center-dweebs in here. I think there’s a smattering of terminal-clown lurkers though.

The centers aren’t cool enough, so we aren’t allowed to use entire chapters of the 7110 for reasons.

fknlo posted:

In other news, D01 has stopped taking medevacs on anything but "routing in the LOA". Blanket denying apreq's kind of poo poo. It's causing quite a dust up in the building and I'm doing my part to stir the pot because it's complete horse poo poo.

We stopped even trying down here after it came out that the medical charter companies were filing medevac calllsigns (just cloning their previous flight plan in ForeFlight and changing the departure/destination pair) even when they were dead-heading. If they pipe up and ask for medevac priority with a patient or organ or something I’ll do whatever I can. Otherwise?

:commissar:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

MrYenko posted:

We stopped even trying down here after it came out that the medical charter companies were filing medevac calllsigns (just cloning their previous flight plan in ForeFlight and changing the departure/destination pair) even when they were dead-heading. If they pipe up and ask for medevac priority with a patient or organ or something I’ll do whatever I can. Otherwise?

:commissar:

I don't think we get any of that. They just published some memo internally and stopped taking them out of the blue. People are angry but the fight was over before we even knew it was happening.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SaltPig
Jun 21, 2004

Iucounu posted:

Anyone at C90?

I know people at C90. Does not sound like they are having a good time.