Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

If it was the US the road condition would be crumbling asphalt with a nice dusting of broken glass and bud lite cans in the gutter

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Looks like Indiana

Sab0921
Aug 2, 2004

This for my justices slingin' thangs, rib breakin' kings / Truck, necklace, robe, gavel and things / For the solicitors seein' them dissents spin and grin / That robe with the lace trim that win.

Sab0921 posted:

Go go Urban Bicycle Gallery. They have the best stock of bikes in the City right now

To follow up - UBG has a bunch of hybrids in stock - depending on how tall you are, they have smalls, mediums and larges. They're at Shepherd and Washington, so very convenient if you're inner loop

This would be a very solid bicycle to grab. https://www.urbanbicyclegallery.com/product/giant-escape-2-disc-383030-1.htm

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

kimbo305 posted:

Did you get the rack option? Any pannier can clip to the rack; you just need to make sure they're sized shallow enough for ground clearance.

There's also adapters for the front clip that let's you run it as a front rack:
https://www.kinetics-online.co.uk/folding-bikes/brompton/brompton-pannier-rack/

Didn't get the rack, (that would be the M6R rather than the M6L that I got). But there look to be good 3rd party options available there: https://tibicycles.com/collections/titanium-rack/products/titanium-rear-rack-for-brompton?variant=31570891046967

Weembles
Apr 19, 2004

Gravel riding is very hip these days. We're just ahead of the curve.

emf
Aug 1, 2002

vikingstrike posted:

The green grass, the narrow road, or windmills?

The disposable wealth and leisure time.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006
all the better to glomp you with

Literally Lewis Hamilton posted:

If it was the US the road condition would be crumbling asphalt with a nice dusting of broken glass and bud lite cans in the gutter

Tbh it helps bike handling skills and on technical downhills it really makes things interesting. The Bay Area has some descents that would be safe-ish if they were paved well, but due to the pavement they're absolutely terrifying, specifically thinking of Ridgecrest to Alpine Dam.

I Am Not Spor fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Apr 5, 2021

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

vikingstrike posted:

The green grass, the narrow road, or windmills?

Yes

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

e.pilot posted:

True but if you’re talking non-road folders the Brompton is still the better option imo.
That makes sense. I've ridden folding Tern bikes and they actually rode at least as well as the brompton but were also in a different weight class.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I Am Not Spor posted:

Tbh it helps bike handling skills and on technical downhills it really makes things interesting. The Bay Area has some descents that would be safe-ish if they were paved well, but due to the pavement they're absolutely terrifying, specifically thinking of Ridgecrest to Alpine Dam.

with some wider tires that one isn't bad, you have to watch out for some broken bits but it's really all the blind corners and narrow road that make it worse IMO

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Twerk from Home posted:

I haven't ridden a brompton (yet) but I'm assuming that the 451 wheels on the pocket rocket are much, much more comfortable and confident than the bromp's 16s.

The Bike Friday is a faster bike but as for comfort, the Brompton has a rear suspension as part of the design.

So I don't know.

I have Marathon tires on my Brompton and have ridden on dirt roads with it.

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

with some wider tires that one isn't bad, you have to watch out for some broken bits but it's really all the blind corners and narrow road that make it worse IMO

I just remember that when I'd try and get PRs some of the lines involved really carefully threading potholes on the corners. Think bofax towards Bolinas is sketchier in terms of narrow road dealing with crazy locals and tourists not knowing how to drive on mountain roads. Preferred the old pavement than the new with the weird lose gravel on top.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

I Am Not Spor posted:

I just remember that when I'd try and get PRs some of the lines involved really carefully threading potholes on the corners. Think bofax towards Bolinas is sketchier in terms of narrow road dealing with crazy locals and tourists not knowing how to drive on mountain roads. Preferred the old pavement than the new with the weird lose gravel on top.

BoFax towards Bolinas has this weird rhythm of the same corners over and over for the top half of it, but it's also kinda lumpy and off camber

Would rather go up either of them though

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

I need a sanity check before I pull the trigger on this.

I moved to Minnesota. I want to ride a bicycle. I have a Raleigh Grand Prix back in California. My family will be joining me here next year but unless I fly back to California and pack up my bike on my own, I don't have anyone who knows enough about shipping bikes to bring it to me. I like steel and I know I will never be fast enough riding to ever want to race or really even do group rides with fast people.

THIS would give me options for bikepacking and seems like it'd be comfortable enough to ride all day. I feel like these are different enough bikes to warrant N+1 but wanted to make sure I am not being impulsive and dumb.

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

Hekk posted:

I moved to Minnesota. I want to ride a bicycle. I have a Raleigh Grand Prix back in California. My family will be joining me here next year but unless I fly back to California and pack up my bike on my own, I don't have anyone who knows enough about shipping bikes to bring it to me. I like steel and I know I will never be fast enough riding to ever want to race or really even do group rides with fast people.

THIS would give me options for bikepacking and seems like it'd be comfortable enough to ride all day. I feel like these are different enough bikes to warrant N+1 but wanted to make sure I am not being impulsive and dumb.

That was my first 10 speed.

Then when I was 14 I broke it when I stomped on the pedals, slipped the rear wheel, and bent up the dropouts and rear stays.

My mom went postal at the bike shop and they gave me a new Peugeot PX10e. And that’s how I really got into cycling.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

Hekk posted:

If you came here hoping to find someone to talk you out of buying another bike, you came to the wrong place.

Joking aside, it is very rational to have bikes in different cities/locations. As to whether the all-city and raleigh can coexist in the same garage eventually, I'm not sure what scenarios I'd pick to ride the raleigh over the all-city.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

that incarnation of the grand prix is a travel bike with a design similar to ritchey breakaway frames. I'm sad I didn't buy one when they were super cheap on amazon

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Clark Nova posted:

that incarnation of the grand prix is a travel bike with a design similar to ritchey breakaway frames. I'm sad I didn't buy one when they were super cheap on amazon

Their site billed it as a Ritchey breakaway. It’s a good bike. I think I got it for like 1200 bucks or something which was pretty good at the time. The frame is just a little too big for me though. I was in between sizes and went up instead of down.

There is a shop that has the All City Space Horse GRX 1.1 in stock nearby. I think I will just buy it keep a bike in each location.

lodie
Feb 8, 2004

Hekk posted:

Their site billed it as a Ritchey breakaway. It’s a good bike. I think I got it for like 1200 bucks or something which was pretty good at the time. The frame is just a little too big for me though. I was in between sizes and went up instead of down.

There is a shop that has the All City Space Horse GRX 1.1 in stock nearby. I think I will just buy it keep a bike in each location.

the space horse rules

I Am Not Spor
Dec 13, 2006

Levitate posted:

BoFax towards Bolinas has this weird rhythm of the same corners over and over for the top half of it, but it's also kinda lumpy and off camber

Would rather go up either of them though

Yeah, generally tried to avoid going down BoFax; normally went up 7 sisters and down Pantoll descent into Mill Valley. Moved to Philly recently, so I don't get that stuff anymore. Attempted an A ride the week after I moved here and got dropped hella early cause rollers basically don't exist in CA.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGameVet posted:

My mom went postal at the bike shop and they gave me a new Peugeot PX10e. And that’s how I really got into cycling.

Raleigh GP to a PX-10 is uh, an upgrade lol

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

I'm not too familiar with seventies bikes, but it's fun to google them and find forums posts from 2009-2012 with people talking about how they bought a nearly perfect PX-10 for $60 from someone's garage.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah PX-10 was a legit racing bike, going from a Raleigh GP to a PX-10 would be like breaking an $750 Claris-equipped bike and convincing the store to exchange it for something with Ultegra Di2 these days

i do think they're overvalued, compared to other bikes you can get with old school Campy and 531db frames

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Now $200 gets you a lovely Huffy from 1982

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/bik/d/pittsburgh-1982-phase-one/7300203884.html

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Raleigh GP to a PX-10 is uh, an upgrade lol

The joke about my mom, among my brothers, is that you never took her to a restaurant you wanted to go back to.

She was a terror if an establishment did anything wrong.

So yeah, the store literally took the broken GP and gave me a 60cm PX-10e.

I had the coolest bike in my neighborhood. Would ride that all over Long Island.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah you need to know what you're doing on bike CL

sweet spot for a while has been 80s Japanese-built Schwinns and Japanese Bianchis, but I think people found those out and prices have been going up

nothing is as fucky as vintage BMX pricing though. i once thought it might be a good idea to get a friend an old BMX bike and good god the prices on them

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

VideoGameVet posted:

The joke about my mom, among my brothers, is that you never took her to a restaurant you wanted to go back to.

She was a terror if an establishment did anything wrong.

So yeah, the store literally took the broken GP and gave me a 60cm PX-10e.

I had the coolest bike in my neighborhood. Would ride that all over Long Island.

there's something about high end French bikes that's just incredibly cool for some reason. even the later ones like Vitus, and even Look carbon bikes.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
If any of yall were looking to get a classic road bike, this is the thread for people to spot good deals, or to spot check what you think is a deal:
https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-vintage/561211-ebay-craigslist-finds-you-looking-one-these-part-ii-2439.html

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

Hekk posted:

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but a decent bike shop should be able to help ship a bike. They might even have a relationship with Bike Flights.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
yeah in fact boxing a bike is frequently listed as part of a shop's service menu

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

Feels Villeneuve posted:

there's something about high end French bikes that's just incredibly cool for some reason. even the later ones like Vitus, and even Look carbon bikes.

I briefly had a Follis 672 later on as a Teen. It came with Huret Jubille stuff and I swapped out that for full C-Record, which I got at a discount because I was working at Brands Bicycles in Wantaugh.

Sadly, the bike turned out to have been stolen before it was sold to me. Bye bike.

Replaced it with a Columbus tubing Bob Jackson frame, that I traded a Bolex camera for. Did that with Sun Tour and Sugeno stuff. Used that when I worked for Bikecentennial.

But that Follis? Wow. Unbelievable quality.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Tigren posted:

I know this isn’t what you want to hear, but a decent bike shop should be able to help ship a bike. They might even have a relationship with Bike Flights.

I wonder which is cheaper -- having the shop use the breakaway system to pack the bike up smaller (maybe two wheel boxes taped together?) but spending extra labor dissembling things, or just shipping normally.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I had an odd delivery the other day where DPS delivered the bike fully assembled - said it was pure costed by weight now and that as too many ebike wheels and batteries had gone "missing" over lockdown they would only deliver fully set up and assembled bikes now.

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
was riding around downtown manhattan yesterday and came upon a quarter mile stretch of dirt, crumbling asphalt, and washboard bumps. the tires survived, but i think i may have caught the gravel bug.

riding like a horse jockey and catching air off the little jumps was too much fun.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Head Bee Guy posted:

was riding around downtown manhattan yesterday and came upon a quarter mile stretch of dirt, crumbling asphalt, and washboard bumps. the tires survived, but i think i may have caught the gravel bug.

riding like a horse jockey and catching air off the little jumps was too much fun.

What part of Manhattan? Was it the East River trail, between the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges?

PolishPandaBear
Apr 10, 2009

Head Bee Guy posted:

Get over to Shirley Chisholm State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7!4d-73.8748443

The green trails in Cunningham Park in Queens are also doable on a gravel/CX bike and some of the blue too.

Lonjon
Jun 26, 2007

Books are the real treasures of the world!
Fun Shoe
I've been searching for gloves that will fit my weird hands for a long, long time. Does anyone here have suggestions for gloves for folks with unusually long fingers? Even L and XL gloves never have long enough fingers for me, and they end up putting pressure on the webbing between my fingers when I ride. I hate it.

I need better gloves for all seasons. Winter gloves for when it's below freezing. Thin summer gloves. Glove liners. If you know of any that fit long fingered hands, please let me know where to get them.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

learnincurve posted:

I had an odd delivery the other day where DPS delivered the bike fully assembled - said it was pure costed by weight now and that as too many ebike wheels and batteries had gone "missing" over lockdown they would only deliver fully set up and assembled bikes now.

Fully assembled, so not even the bars are rotated?

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=454pdgeDY5o

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Head Bee Guy
Jun 12, 2011

Retarded for Busting
Grimey Drawer

Safety Dance posted:

What part of Manhattan? Was it the East River trail, between the Williamsburg and Manhattan bridges?

Not sure where exactly, but I was going south through Greenwhich Village.

PolishPandaBear posted:

Get over to Shirley Chisholm State Park.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...7!4d-73.8748443

The green trails in Cunningham Park in Queens are also doable on a gravel/CX bike and some of the blue too.

Hell yes.

I’ve dicked around on the trails in prospect park a couple times, which has already improved my skills on asphalt. Like I rode down stairs for the first time the other day, which has scared since i was a kid :blastu: