Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

If the TV isn't new enough for Displayport it probably won't support HDMI 2.1 either, which is the only way to guarantee enough bandwidth for 4k 120hz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

FWIW I play 1080p on a 4k 55" display 6-10' away and I can't tell much of a difference than native. My card can't run native worth a poo poo so maybe it changes in motion, not sure about that.

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006

If you count them all, this sentence has exactly seventy-two characters.
Supply shortages aside, is it worth waiting until DDR5 comes out? I remember DDR3 remained competitive with DDR4 for quite a while.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

Supply shortages aside, is it worth waiting until DDR5 comes out? I remember DDR3 remained competitive with DDR4 for quite a while.

No. Zen 3 and Ampere are hands down the best performance to value for new hardware in more than 20 years...

They almost double gaming performance over previous parts at the same price point.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

mom and dad fight a lot posted:

I'm personally gonna do a DDR4 build in the next few weeks, and then try and pick up some really cheap used high end DDR4 in a year or two when DDR5 comes out. That should last me until the DDR5 teething problems get solved.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Yeah, even if it were feasibly "coming soon", and you could buy the bloody thing, and you could afford to pay the early adopter tax, nobody can say what sort of problems the new hardware will give you

Like, PCIE4 came out two years ago and they still haven't fixed its USB problems yet

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
So my PC finally poo poo the bed, so it's time to replace my i2700k PC. I'm in the US, average gamer, feeling cute, may spin up a VM later, idk.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: *NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $924.93
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 19:32 EDT-0400

I did not pick a GPU because I know the market is a clusterfuck right now. I can probably slim down on the CPU, and I do have a Samsung 860 Evo that has never /really/ been used instead of the M.2. Is there a recommended GPU right now? I am coming off an AMD 7890 or so.

I give no fucks about lights. Or pretty. Just functional. Pretty functional is okay too.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

So my PC finally poo poo the bed, so it's time to replace my i2700k PC. I'm in the US, average gamer, feeling cute, may spin up a VM later, idk.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($319.99 @ Newegg)
CPU Cooler: *Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($179.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: *G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory ($164.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: *Samsung 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive
Case: *NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($74.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: *Corsair SF 600 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular SFX Power Supply ($139.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $924.93
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 19:32 EDT-0400

I did not pick a GPU because I know the market is a clusterfuck right now. I can probably slim down on the CPU, and I do have a Samsung 860 Evo that has never /really/ been used instead of the M.2. Is there a recommended GPU right now? I am coming off an AMD 7890 or so.

I give no fucks about lights. Or pretty. Just functional. Pretty functional is okay too.

Lotta notes here.

What’s your target frame rate/resolution? Remember, frames above your monitors refresh rate don’t mean poo poo. This will inform your GPU.

You should be targeting a 5600x. Much better than the 3700x in the same price range, and availability is stabilizing.

You should be getting a gold PSU. Depending on what GPU You plan on targeting, you should probably have a 750w. Gold 750w should come in same price or less as that 600w platinum.

Unless you need additional SSD space, put that money towards the GPU, keep the 860. The NVME benefit is marginal enough.

If you are needing additional SSD space, get an SN550 instead. Samsung tax ain’t worth it.

Fuma 2s are about $59 on Amazon right now and a worthy upgrade. 212 is also fine, but not as good.

Scythe Fuma 2 CPU Air Cooler, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen, 120mm Dual Towers, Black Top Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMK5R45/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9W5CB9FEM45RKVEHQMJQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you hunt around you can probably find a better deal on 32GB 3600@CL-16. Keep those specs if you can. 16GB is probably also fine, depending on your VM use.

Fractal makes nice simple black box cases that build really easy and have great airflow.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

Pilfered Pallbearers posted:

Lotta notes here.

What’s your target frame rate/resolution? Remember, frames above your monitors refresh rate don’t mean poo poo. This will inform your GPU.

You should be targeting a 5600x. Much better than the 3700x in the same price range, and availability is stabilizing.

You should be getting a gold PSU. Depending on what GPU You plan on targeting, you should probably have a 750w. Gold 750w should come in same price or less as that 600w platinum.

Unless you need additional SSD space, put that money towards the GPU, keep the 860. The NVME benefit is marginal enough.

If you are needing additional SSD space, get an SN550 instead. Samsung tax ain’t worth it.

Fuma 2s are about $59 on Amazon right now and a worthy upgrade. 212 is also fine, but not as good.

Scythe Fuma 2 CPU Air Cooler, Intel LGA1151, AMD AM4/Ryzen, 120mm Dual Towers, Black Top Cover https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QMK5R45/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_9W5CB9FEM45RKVEHQMJQ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

If you hunt around you can probably find a better deal on 32GB 3600@CL-16. Keep those specs if you can. 16GB is probably also fine, depending on your VM use.

Fractal makes nice simple black box cases that build really easy and have great airflow.

My target frame rate will probably be 60 - 120. I'm not really into much hardcore gaming, but I would like 4k, never know what I might jump into. I will be upgrading my monitors as well to support those numbers. Regardless I'm not going to die if I can't hit hit that. Right now I'm running an older game at 1080p at 50-60fps. My biggest dips are when lovely ads show up in my browser.

I am not locked into AMD, but from this thread and other places, Intel dropped the ball in this market. Is the 5600x going to be that much stronger than the 3700x? That's still $50 toward a GPU?

SATA SSD is fine. It's a 500GB, definitely don't need more than that. I already have it so no point in thinking too much there.

Ram I didn't see a lot of price decrease without dropping out of 32GB. Still dropped a bit there.

As for the PSU... I have no clue how that got there. I was actually looking at Bronze. Not paying attention :shrug:

Overall this will be a huge jump over my current rig. Here are some tweaks:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: *Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($134.99 @ Corsair)
Case: *NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $792.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 21:50 EDT-0400

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Gothmog1065 posted:

My target frame rate will probably be 60 - 120. I'm not really into much hardcore gaming, but I would like 4k, never know what I might jump into. I will be upgrading my monitors as well to support those numbers. Regardless I'm not going to die if I can't hit hit that. Right now I'm running an older game at 1080p at 50-60fps. My biggest dips are when lovely ads show up in my browser.

I am not locked into AMD, but from this thread and other places, Intel dropped the ball in this market. Is the 5600x going to be that much stronger than the 3700x? That's still $50 toward a GPU?

SATA SSD is fine. It's a 500GB, definitely don't need more than that. I already have it so no point in thinking too much there.

Ram I didn't see a lot of price decrease without dropping out of 32GB. Still dropped a bit there.

As for the PSU... I have no clue how that got there. I was actually looking at Bronze. Not paying attention :shrug:

Overall this will be a huge jump over my current rig. Here are some tweaks:
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: *AMD Ryzen 5 3600X 3.8 GHz 6-Core Processor ($249.00 @ Adorama)
CPU Cooler: *Scythe FUMA 2 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($59.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: *MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK ATX AM4 Motherboard ($159.00 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 CL15 Memory ($134.99 @ Corsair)
Case: *NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($69.98 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: *Gigabyte P GM 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $792.95
Generated by PCPartPicker 2021-04-04 21:50 EDT-0400

5600x MSRP is $299, cheaper than the $317 you had for the 3700x.

The 5600x is pretty substantially better. The only issue is you may have a slight wait trying to get one at MSRP.

If you want to go lower in price, you should probably be targeting an Intel 11400 ($184, generally 8-20% better than the 3600) or maybe a 3600 if you can find it at $199, which is unlikely.

You don’t want a bronze PSU. I don’t know if that PSU is any good so I’ll defer to someone else.

Your original ram kit was much better. I more meant watch for sales you can probably do better. Don’t go below that spec.

For 4k@60, you should be targeting a 3070 or higher. 3080 would be better if you can swing the extra cost and can find one. 4K@120 is not easy, and a monitor that can do that is very very expensive.

Cabbages and Kings
Aug 25, 2004

Shall we be trotting home again?
I've got a ryzen 3800x. I have been waiting for 5900x to hit msrp, but I see they are still way over while 5800s have gotten a lot easier to get.

All i really care about is gaming including vr and msfs2020. How much should i care about waiting for a 5900x over a 5800?

Edit: Rtx3080, 32gb pc3600

Cabbages and Kings fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Apr 5, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Cabbages and Kings posted:

All i really care about is gaming including vr and msfs2020. How much should i care about waiting for a 5900x over a 5800?

Not in the slightest.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

I've got a ryzen 3800x. I have been waiting for 5900x to hit msrp, but I see they are still way over while 5800s have gotten a lot easier to get.

You currently have a 3800x and a 3080? Is bumping up to a 5800x or 5900x even going to do much for you?

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

If you're gaming at 1440p I'd say it's not even worth it. 4k and it's totally pointless, you're totally GPU bottlenecked there.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
I guess similarly, I know AMD is top dog but it seems basically impossible to get a 5900 right now.

I'm not in a huge rush, so I could wait and camp discords trying to snipe one, but for normal 1440p 165hz gaming and maybe a tiny bit of video editing how bad of an idea would it be to just say gently caress it and go w/ a 10900k instead? I've got a 3090 fwiw.

The benchmark rhetoric online would make you think you'd have to be an idiot to grab one, but side by side videos of people playing games it looks like a wash.

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

The March Hare posted:

I guess similarly, I know AMD is top dog but it seems basically impossible to get a 5900 right now.

I'm not in a huge rush, so I could wait and camp discords trying to snipe one, but for normal 1440p 165hz gaming and maybe a tiny bit of video editing how bad of an idea would it be to just say gently caress it and go w/ a 10900k instead? I've got a 3090 fwiw.

The benchmark rhetoric online would make you think you'd have to be an idiot to grab one, but side by side videos of people playing games it looks like a wash.

You don't need either of those processors. A 5600x or 5800x would do everything you need them to. There's small margins between the two, especially at higher resolutions, but it is measurable. The extra cores in the 5900x are irrelevant when it comes to gaming performance and the 5800x is the fastest gaming CPU bar none right now, but the 5600x is the better value CPU for most people, although evidently with a 3090 you're not overly worried about value. This isn't supposed to be a dig, I'm just saying if you want to get the best out of the GPU you won't gain anything from throwing more cores at it beyond the 8 in the 5800x.

Butterfly Valley fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Apr 5, 2021

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

Butterfly Valley posted:

You don't need either of those processors. A 5600x or 5800x would do everything you need them to. There's small margins between the two, especially at higher resolutions, but it is measurable. The extra cores in the 5900x are irrelevant when it comes to gaming performance and the 5800x is the fastest gaming CPU bar none right now, but the 5600x is the better value CPU for most people, although evidently with a 3090 you're not overly worried about value. This isn't supposed to be a dig, I'm just saying if you want to get the best out of the GPU you won't gain anything from throwing more cores at it beyond the 8 in the 5800x.

Yeah I mean I grabbed the 3090 for 1500 from best buy. Under normal circumstances I would get a 3080 but beggars can't be choosers. Good to know on the 5900, thanks!

CoolCab
Apr 17, 2005

glem
yeah the 3090 is a really weird one - at launch i trashed it for being a productivity card with the serial numbers (and good drivers for productivity tasks afaik) filed off and being terrible value compared to the 3080 but lol these days 1500 seems reasonable.

at your exact same resolution (1440p 165hz) i run a 3300X and a quad core chip is, to date totally fine. any of the chips you mentioned will absolutely fine, although i know some VR applications can be a little finnicky - in terms of processing power you are beyond fine. a 3600 would probably be fine? in terms of just gaming at least - a 3090 will push 4k very easily if you wanna upgrade and at that point the CPU is almost never the bottleneck.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Are you sure that TV can do 120hz? Most TVs that advertise that feature are cheating and it’s just some weird filter.

All I know is I bought it years ago and I spent $50 more for the model at Best Buy that had “120 MHz” on the box. I have never dived into how it works so it is entirely possible they suckered me into spending more for the same display as the “older” model. I also have never tested any component in my current computer (do keep it clean internally and monitor heat with Speccy). The only thing I check whenever I use my desktop is network speed because it sometimes fails to get a new ip after a release/renew cycle. I gotta wait anyway because I blew my wallet up buying the new computer. And I will be happy buying a few games I missed since release that my current computer won’t play (various Tomb Raiders, Squadrons, and the BattleTech games).

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Basically all TVs lie about 120hz, barring maybe some $6k monstrosity.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

I can run WoW and Skyrim (heavily modded but no graphical upgrades) at 1080p 60 FPS with my 2015-era 970. Streaming Netflix or YouTube is easy and looks really good, too. I don’t feel like I must upgrade, but it’ll be nice to play some relatively recent games, especially making VR possible. Looks like a fun feature. My games have been locked to 60 FPS via game settings since I built it, though, and the main reason I wondered about 4K is for Netflix/YouTube anyway.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

DerekSmartymans posted:

I can run WoW and Skyrim (heavily modded but no graphical upgrades) at 1080p 60 FPS with my 2015-era 970. Streaming Netflix or YouTube is easy and looks really good, too. I don’t feel like I must upgrade, but it’ll be nice to play some relatively recent games, especially making VR possible. Looks like a fun feature. My games have been locked to 60 FPS via game settings since I built it, though, and the main reason I wondered about 4K is for Netflix/YouTube anyway.

What headset?

HappyCapybaraFamily
Sep 16, 2009

Roger Baolong Thunder Dragon has been fascinated by this sophisticated and scientifically beautiful industry since childhood, and has shown his talent in the design and manufacture of watches.

Is rtings.com trustworthy? They say they have confirmed my 55" Samsung Q80T does 4k@120, but I hope they aren't lying :ohdear:

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

HappyCapybaraFamily posted:

Is rtings.com trustworthy? They say they have confirmed my 55" Samsung Q80T does 4k@120, but I hope they aren't lying :ohdear:

Rtings is great. Looks like you've got one of the good ones. Maybe HRR TVs are cheaper than I thought.

Cheap tvs will all say 120hz with some branding like "true motion" to cover their rear end, they don't actually have a 120hz refresh rate, they just stick a fancy name on black frame insertion, but moreover there are no TVs that won't try to pull this trick when they only have a 60hz panel, gotta look at the fine print / google to know for sure.

Fantastic Foreskin fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Apr 5, 2021

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Rtings is great. Looks like you've got one of the good ones. Maybe HRR TVs are cheaper than I thought.

They're starting to become more common now that HDMI 2.1 is a thing. You can get a really nice LG OLED that'll do 4k120 for under $2k. That's still expensive, of course, but still.

Fake 120hz is rampant though, you're not wrong there.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

hello, me again

I'm tryin to figure out if a cooler will fit in a case and I cannot seem to tell because i am an idiot baby

I'm trying to see if the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 will fit in a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact or if I would have to get the Fractal Design Meshify 2

please help I am so indecisive about big purchases

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

A gaming pc would lose virtually nothing by choosing a 5600x over its faster, pricier cousins; and whatever modest gains can be had from buying the pricier chip anyway can't justify paying for it

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

Ramadu posted:

hello, me again

I'm tryin to figure out if a cooler will fit in a case and I cannot seem to tell because i am an idiot baby

I'm trying to see if the ARCTIC Liquid Freezer II 280 will fit in a Fractal Design Meshify 2 Compact or if I would have to get the Fractal Design Meshify 2

Use PCPP for this, it checks compatibility automatically. The answer is yes you're fine.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Others said it, but seriously if you’re at 1440p+ stick with your 3800x. You’re largely GPU bound.

The March Hare posted:

Other have also said, but in almost all cases at 1440p the 5600x will perform exactly the same as the 5900x.

DerekSmartymans posted:

All I know is I bought it years ago and I spent $50 more for the model at Best Buy that had “120 MHz” on the box. I have never dived into how it works so it is entirely possible they suckered me into spending more for the same display as the “older” model. I also have never tested any component in my current computer (do keep it clean internally and monitor heat with Speccy). The only thing I check whenever I use my desktop is network speed because it sometimes fails to get a new ip after a release/renew cycle. I gotta wait anyway because I blew my wallet up buying the new computer. And I will be happy buying a few games I missed since release that my current computer won’t play (various Tomb Raiders, Squadrons, and the BattleTech games).

Roll up nvidia control panel and try and set it to 120hz and see what happens. It probably won’t work.

Even if it does, TVs tend to have much higher input lag than monitors do (not always). So going from 60>120 on a TV will like the a minor visual pleasantly and not much more.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

So hey, just putting this out there as a note-this-for-when-you-wanna-buy kinda thing. If you're using PCPP as your guide to getting the lowest price, don't necessarily trust its stock tracking. I just bought a Ryzen 5 3600 brand new straight from Newegg, despite PCPP telling me they were out of stock. Saved me a good $30 from buying it new from a different source that way. So definitely go click the website links and double check that that site is out of stock if you're looking to buy.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

Ramadu posted:

hello, me again

I like to try to find a YouTube video of someone building in the computer case I’m about to buy.

Look for somebody using that same case basically any 280 water cooling AIO and really tall obnoxious RGB ram see if they have any problems.

If you’re going to rock short ram then it’s probably less of an issue.

Some cases have your fans hang over the motherboard and some cases allow you to keep your fans completely above the motherboard.

Corsair 500D for example is a very tall case and that’s what I went with over the 4000 airflow series thats more popular and newer because it has very poor top AIO clearance.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009

5600x MSRP is $299, cheaper than the $317 you had for the 3700x.

The 5600x is pretty substantially better. The only issue is you may have a slight wait trying to get one at MSRP.

If you want to go lower in price, you should probably be targeting an Intel 11400 ($184, generally 8-20% better than the 3600) or maybe a 3600 if you can find it at $199, which is unlikely.

You don’t want a bronze PSU. I don’t know if that PSU is any good so I’ll defer to someone else.

Your original ram kit was much better. I more meant watch for sales you can probably do better. Don’t go below that spec.

For 4k@60, you should be targeting a 3070 or higher. 3080 would be better if you can swing the extra cost and can find one. 4K@120 is not easy, and a monitor that can do that is very very expensive.

Okay, I'm not hard pressed for stuff, but it looks like scalpers are hitting the Ryzens a much as anything else. So I was going to switch to the Intel 11400, but the parts picker is warning about bios updates. Is that something that should concern me as of right now? I'll wait on a GPU, while mine's old, it will do what I need for the time being since the GPU market is a nightmare. Hopefully by the time it dies, the GPU market will have calmed down to pre covid stupid from mining.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Ramadu posted:

hello, me again

spunkshui posted:

I like to try to find a YouTube video of someone building in the computer case I’m about to buy.

Look for somebody using that same case basically any 280 water cooling AIO and really tall obnoxious RGB ram see if they have any problems.

If you’re going to rock short ram then it’s probably less of an issue.

Some cases have your fans hang over the motherboard and some cases allow you to keep your fans completely above the motherboard.

Corsair 500D for example is a very tall case and that’s what I went with over the 4000 airflow series thats more popular and newer because it has very poor top AIO clearance.

I don't know much about cases but OP it's worth bearing in mind that the Arctic AIO radiators are slightly thicker than those made by other companies. So it's not one to one.

EDIT - here's the specs, you'll need to add the size of the fans and the radiator together I guess?

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/liquid-freezer-280-en/

EDIT EDIT - lol it seems the radiator thickness isn't actually listed on there? I dunno. I'm sure somewhere around the internet will have the specs

Barry Foster fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 5, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Barry Foster posted:

I don't know much about cases but OP it's worth bearing in mind that the Arctic AIO radiators are slightly thicker than those made by other companies. So it's not one to one.

That’s what got me when I tried to install one. It would have been fine with my case and a different motherboard but it didn’t get along with the case and motherboard combo I have.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

What's a good full/mid tower case right now?

I don't care about space it occupies, I care about having room to work in it; I've currently got a 2060 super (hoping to upgrade in the next year or two to a 30something), 2x SSDs, 2x HDDs and might be adding a few more HDDs for bulk storage. Will probably be throwing a noctua cooler in it if that matters.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

MF_James posted:

What's a good full/mid tower case right now?

I don't care about space it occupies, I care about having room to work in it; I've currently got a 2060 super (hoping to upgrade in the next year or two to a 30something), 2x SSDs, 2x HDDs and might be adding a few more HDDs for bulk storage. Will probably be throwing a noctua cooler in it if that matters.

I like the coolermaster TD500 I’m using now, though I probably should have done a full instead of a mid because I’m always putting new stuff in there.

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Barry Foster posted:

EDIT - here's the specs, you'll need to add the size of the fans and the radiator together I guess?

https://www2.arctic.ac/liquidfreezer2/liquid-freezer-280-en/

EDIT EDIT - lol it seems the radiator thickness isn't actually listed on there? I dunno. I'm sure somewhere around the internet will have the specs

Yeah this is why I was asking! It seems real annoying to find on the internet but whatever, I can just get the bigger case and i guess have more fans

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

My current build is mostly fine for what I'm doing, but the thermals suck and I've been getting the itch for a new build, so I'm going to rebuild this thing into an nCase M1 (currently in an NZXT H200).

This includes three major changes:

1. Replacing my already-too-big Dark Rock Pro 4 with a NZXT Kraken X53.
2. Deshrouding my Asus 1080.
3. Converting my melange of storage into a single large M2 SSD.

I think my main questions now is - the SSD game seems to have changed a bunch since my last build. Is there a sweet spot for NVMe M2 SSD's? I had my eye on a Crucial P5 1TB.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

dy. posted:

My current build is mostly fine for what I'm doing, but the thermals suck and I've been getting the itch for a new build, so I'm going to rebuild this thing into an nCase M1 (currently in an NZXT H200).

This includes three major changes:

1. Replacing my already-too-big Dark Rock Pro 4 with a NZXT Kraken X53.
2. Deshrouding my Asus 1080.
3. Converting my melange of storage into a single large M2 SSD.

I think my main questions now is - the SSD game seems to have changed a bunch since my last build. Is there a sweet spot for NVMe M2 SSD's? I had my eye on a Crucial P5 1TB.

I’m unsure why this will help your thermals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mega dy
Dec 6, 2003

I’m unsure why this will help your thermals.
That's OK, I don't require your certainty.

The H200 forces my GPU to sit right on top of a bracket with lovely airflow. Deshrouding and exhausting directly out of the bottom of the M1 will supply a lot more air. The other moves are simply to fit into the new case.