Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Is there a not-imposible way to fix -30 rep with a faction? Like, lets say I diceded I'm the owner of some sector where PAR has 20ish stations, and I end up removing said stations. Is there some feasable way for me to say "I'm sowy" so they stop shooting me for 2 seconds or are we hate-married now?
There's a mod that lets you spend a lot of money fixing your rep by paying pirates.
To test it, I went from -5 to -4 with Split and paid 20 million, so I would assume it's a sliding scale.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

I got a mission recently for MIN to kill 8 khaaaaaaaaa(r)k and well I couldn't find any drat khak
Go to any sector on the edge of a territory, fly in a direction chosen at random for as long as you can until you encounter enemies.

Game has a mechanic that will trigger encounters when you fly far enough outside the "main" part of a sector, and most edge sectors of a given space is likely to contain Kha'ak stations.

Also, I got allied with the Yaki, and now they're using my stations to build ships to attack every trader with.

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Apr 5, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Admittedly harder with the PAR because I don't think they actually have a xenon frontier but you could fight the HOP and they will like you for that.

PAR actually do have a xenon frontier, way to the northeast!
https://quantum-anomaly.herokuapp.com/x4/map/
And they never do well with them up there.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ass_Burgerer posted:

This is the first time I've actually seen the whole map, I've discovered most of the galaxy! Also rip scale plate green lol, never realized they got eaten by robits

I've gone back and forth on it but I like having fewer bigger sectors way more than the couple hundred ones of no real note. They're still kind of samey (the Split ones especially just feel like blobs of stations), but after a point its just space to have space and it isn't really meaningful.

I'm not sure I could ever play X3 again now

Ass_Burgerer
Dec 3, 2010

You need the map to have a healthy number of sectors for claiming purposes. Too few and sector ownership gets kind of difficult.
And I can NEVER go back to x3. I've tried, but x4 done away with loading screens, which is huge, and walking around on ships and stations is awesome.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Ass_Burgerer posted:

It's amazing that this person goes out of their way to not be GDPR compliant. Like, I can feel the spite.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

Ass_Burgerer posted:

You need the map to have a healthy number of sectors for claiming purposes. Too few and sector ownership gets kind of difficult.
And I can NEVER go back to x3. I've tried, but x4 done away with loading screens, which is huge, and walking around on ships and stations is awesome.

In my new X3AP playthrough, my load times between sectors are like 1 second and saving the game takes like 2 seconds. Dunno if that’ll worsen over time.

I also consider the walking portions of X4 to be completely unnecessary for what makes an X game fun for me and a total waste of time. Also, they’re pretty half baked - just watch your non-captain crew when you transition between sectors for one example. Everything you currently have to do by walking on stations could’ve just as easily have been done from the ship without being a pointless dev and player time sink.

So far, I think 3 is edging out 4 for my enjoyment, though it’s a bit hard to say for sure. X4 does some things better, but in exchange other bits are worse, so it’s a trade off either way.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
The X-Rebirth walking sections were terrible. I think X4 strikes a good balance - it mostly exists to immerse you more into the world and I think it does a good job. It's cool seeing the scale of the ships and have them fly around you.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

I like the idea of the station walking but it basically just boils down to walking the same hallway to the ship dealer, trader, or manager, it's pretty underwhelming when there isn't anything cool happening outside a window

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

chglcu posted:

I also consider the walking portions of X4 to be completely unnecessary for what makes an X game fun for me and a total waste of time.

Strongly agreed, and I think it has got worse than Rebirth, in that at least there were reasons to do it in Rebirth, such as needing to play the (terrible) talk minigame with people, or find some station vent to crawl though in search of stuff. I'm not at all sorry those things have gone, please note, but if a game is going to make me walk through identical doors countless thousands of times, I feel there should be something different behind them occasionally.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Standing on a landing platform on a busy station is kinda neat just to watch all of the ships come and go. Especially if it's your own station and you have a cluster of landing pads close together and a lot of traffic.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I agree that can be kind of cool, but I’d much rather have stuff like a pleasant UI, working fleets, a non-poo poo autopilot, ship and weapon variety, access to useful charts and graphs, etc. in my shooty spreadsheet game.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things
Surely you're not saying any of those things are in X3, save for variety. X series as a whole only has ever had that one, except the UI for X4 arguably being decent. It's more a series of kitbashing mods together until the game functions in the way you want it to.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

Slickdrac posted:

Surely you're not saying any of those things are in X3, save for variety. X series as a whole only has ever had that one, except the UI for X4 arguably being decent. It's more a series of kitbashing mods together until the game functions in the way you want it to.

Oh, no, I wasn’t meaning to imply those were points in X3’s favor. Just saying where I would’ve wanted the priorities when making X3’s successor rather than what they went with.

Xan
Feb 7, 2005
Shop smart, shop S-Mart.
Has anyone tried capturing ships as a way to earn money early on?

I started as Terran Cadet and I have five M miners going but wondering if capturing ships would be a viable and more fun way to make money in the early game.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Capturing ships is absolutely faster the janky way miners are working right now. I have rudimentary ship parts and claytronics factories running 30 hours in and capturing SCA destroyers is still my main way of infusing money into my economy.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast
Problem: Terran stations require a lot of people to run and Living Quarters only hold 500 people.

Solution: Commonwealth race's habitats hold 1000!.

Problem 2: Terran Living Quarters look so drat good.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Travic posted:

Problem: Terran stations require a lot of people to run and Living Quarters only hold 500 people.

Solution: Commonwealth race's habitats hold 1000!.

Problem 2: Terran Living Quarters look so drat good.

Hello yes welcome to my station it looks like a giant ring toss stand.

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

OwlFancier posted:

Hello yes welcome to my station it looks like a giant ring toss stand.

Line up 100 living quarters and fly an Odysseus through them in travel mode.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

Oh god. I built a Claytronics facility with 5 Claytronics factories and it's going to require... 16 Large Biomes to get up to proper efficiency, including all the required Sunflowers and Nostrop Oil and etc.

Now if only my Silicon miners could loving HURRY IT UP.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Claytronics is a very expensive production module yes, you probably want to start out with one and then use that to expand.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Claytronics is a very expensive production module yes, you probably want to start out with one and then use that to expand.

Oh I have the money, the facility is already built. I just need to get the Biome blueprint so I can expand it with habs. But it's going to be a giant nightmare station lol

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Unless you're particularly wedded to the teladi I think the best habitation system is the argon, because they're quite small and you can stack them vertically.

Ice Fist
Jun 20, 2012

^^ Please send feedback to beefstache911@hotmail.com, this is not a joke that 'stache is the real deal. Serious assessments only. ^^

Got my SETA module. ~feels good~ man

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
333 production modules, a very fine number for a Split station but can't stop now! This is a gigantic, ugly as gently caress all in one base to produce S/M ships and sell excess wares and has made me over a billion credits now. Can't imagine pre-nerf.

Edit: Also sweet merciful Christ I wish they would make the AI station supply script smart enough to feed a station it's own materials to expand.

Less Fat Luke fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Apr 5, 2021

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

how is your computer not on fire

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Exciting Lemon
It actually performs pretty well as long as I never have SETA on when in the build planner for it!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Apparently X4 tossed my Ryzen's temp to 90 c last night

Hot and heavy spreadsheetin' right there

timn
Mar 16, 2010

RBA Starblade posted:

Lol that the twist in the split plot is that both sides are slavers

Even better, the ZYA were willing to offer concessions on the slavery issue to keep their people together, inadvertently foiling the Curbs' scheme to use the slaves as a political scapegoat. Whoops!

I was impressed by Egosoft writing the Split conflict as a legitimately grey dilemma instead of a boring good split vs. bad split kind of thing. You can even see it in the encyclopedia entry for the FRF:

X4 Encyclopedia posted:

They persevered and managed to establish a different kind of Split society in their systems, one that it not lorded over by one Patriarch. Instead, every family is governed autonomously by their own Patriarchs.

This is a political power struggle, not a noble rebellion. The number of players who fall for the FRF solely because they have the word "Free" in the name while the ZYA has the word "Patriarchy" is a pretty funny indictment of people's real world susceptibility to propaganda.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Yeah lol, tbh I thought FRF were "worse" but I had - 15 ZYA rep so that decided that

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

After listining to Dal Busta's spiel, it became apparent that I should just remove split

(but not before I get their sweet blueprints!)

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If you take all their sectors and stations can you kill a political faction outright? Or will they always respawn ships somewhere?

timn
Mar 16, 2010
I believe they can be permanently killed in vanilla, because faction respawn is listed as a net new feature in the Faction Enhancer series of mods.

And despite the Split being assholes across the board, I can't really bring myself to begrudge them or anyone else in the game for it really. Even the most morally reprehensible people in this game are portrayed as hammy goofballs, a lot like a children's cartoon. It makes galactic conquest a harder pill to swallow when everyone in the game is so full of goofy personality that they become sympathetic.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

All hail family Rhonkar.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I was getting some weird fashy vibes off the terrans though I haven't done their plot enough to know whether that's where the game goes. Definitely feels like they're one bad day from deciding to purge all the undesirables from the galaxy though with their weird hero complex shield of civilization thing going on.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

OwlFancier posted:

I was getting some weird fashy vibes off the terrans though I haven't done their plot enough to know whether that's where the game goes. Definitely feels like they're one bad day from deciding to purge all the undesirables from the galaxy though with their weird hero complex shield of civilization thing going on.

They're going to save the galaxy from the Xenon whether they like it or not, or the galaxy will die trying. Not Earth, though

Travic
May 27, 2007

Getting nowhere fast

RBA Starblade posted:

They're going to save the galaxy from the Xenon whether they like it or not, or the galaxy will die trying. Not Earth, though

I was wondering why when you first make it to the asteroid belt a Xenon K comes through the jump gate and the Terrans didn't immediately just nooooooooope out of there and shut their gate down again.

It'd be like sticking your head out from your bunker to see if the end of the world was still happening. "Yep still The Apocalypse today. Maybe next week!"

Travic fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Apr 6, 2021

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I assume they know the xenon are everywhere and are more worried about the commonwealth doing something stupid again.

Like the increased xenophobia and militarism makes a lot of sense given what happened the last time they interacted with the other civilizations. It's a sensible characterization.

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

Yes hello terrans, I definitely am not stocking up on illegal AGI components in my stolen superbase

timn
Mar 16, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

The Terran Protectorate is weird because on the one hand everything you said is true, but on the other hand the entire premise of the Solborn Militia is that it's this new progressive program open to other races to help engender trust. In fact most of the Terrans' pouting seems to be specifically about the other humans in the galaxy. Would they loosen up more if they weren't so preoccupied by their superiority complex over the ANT and the ARG? Or would they still be pouting in their isolated corner of the galaxy anyway?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

The Xenon have taken Getsu Funae and The Asteroid Belt. Jupiter is next.