Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The mirror universe version of Harry Kim is called Scary Him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axe-man
Apr 16, 2005

The product of hundreds of hours of scientific investigation and research.

The perfect meatball.
Clapping Larry
My usual mirror universe thoughts

https://youtu.be/FrrLWt53BUc

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Yeah, Mirror Universe shenanigans were way more egregious in DS9 than most time travel stories (except in TOS or for the end of Trials and Tribulations where Kira "just figures out dat orb").

In DS9 they just like... transport over to the Mirror Universe willy nilly, with no special planetary storm happening or whatever caused it in the original TOS episode. It definitely feels like "oh hey lets just pop on over for a vacay cuz everyone is horny over there and Risa is too far away!"

As for time travel, if they had stuck to one consistency of writing for it, like predestination/closed causality loops, or very definitely 'changing the past causes an alternate dimension, but it doesn't change our future'-- then it would make since why the Federation/big powers didn't gently caress around with it. No matter what you would do it wouldn't affect yourself or 'change the future.'

Then again you have to be a real slick scifi writer to do a predestination story well as it doesn't really cause a lot of GOOD DRAMA if "oh I guess it was all meant to work out okay" IE: "Hey the Borg went into that time hole, but nothing looks changed? I guess it all worked out!" rather than "OH NO THE EARTH ALL RUSTY NOW WE MUST FIX IT!"

... Still better writing than "oh it all reset and I guess we ~just forgot~ all of the previous episode!"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

jeeves posted:

Yeah, Mirror Universe shenanigans were way more egregious in DS9 than most time travel stories (except in TOS or for the end of Trials and Tribulations where Kira "just figures out dat orb").

In DS9 they just like... transport over to the Mirror Universe willy nilly, with no special planetary storm happening or whatever caused it in the original TOS episode. It definitely feels like "oh hey lets just pop on over for a vacay cuz everyone is horny over there and Risa is too far away!"

As for time travel, if they had stuck to one consistency of writing for it, like predestination/closed causality loops, or very definitely 'changing the past causes an alternate dimension, but it doesn't change our future'-- then it would make since why the Federation/big powers didn't gently caress around with it. No matter what you would do it wouldn't affect yourself or 'change the future.'

Then again you have to be a real slick scifi writer to do a predestination story well as it doesn't really cause a lot of GOOD DRAMA if "oh I guess it was all meant to work out okay" IE: of like "Hey the Borg went into that time hole, but nothing looks changed? I guess it all worked out!" rather than "OH NO THE EARTH ALL RUSTY NOW WE MUST FIX IT!"

... Still better writing than "oh it all reset and I guess we ~just forgot~ all of the previous episode!"

Also "we somehow forgot that cold-starting the warp core will lead to time-travel so instead we must slingshot around stars or mess with chronitons"

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Angry_Ed posted:

Also "we somehow forgot that cold-starting the warp core will lead to time-travel so instead we must slingshot around stars or mess with chronitons"

I know the episode is not meant to be taken seriously, but I always just love the “and Kira just kinda figured it out and now we’re home!” of ~Orb Time Travelz~

I mean it couldn’t be that hard if that Klingon dingus figured it out first, right?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also, doesn't TOS imply that casual time travel is a basic anthropological tool? Like they just bounce over to the 1960s for research purposes.

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Also, doesn't TOS imply that casual time travel is a basic anthropological tool? Like they just bounce over to the 1960s for research purposes.

Oh yeah that too "we've traveled back in time to figure out how the gently caress we didn't nuke ourselves into oblivion in 1968 but also there's a Time Lord here what a coincidence"

And that was apparently done via slingshot effect.

jeeves posted:

I know the episode is not meant to be taken seriously, but I always just love the “and Kira just kinda figured it out and now we’re home!” of ~Orb Time Travelz~

I mean it couldn’t be that hard if that Klingon dingus figured it out first, right?

To be fair that's wormhole alien science and therefore who knows how it actually works other than "it just does"

Angry_Ed fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Apr 5, 2021

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's nothing that actually says that the Feds don't know a whole bunch of ways to time travel through most of the serieses, they just keep them all secret. I figure Temporal Investigations has like 50 different time machines in the basement.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

MikeJF posted:

There's nothing that actually says that the Feds don't know a whole bunch of ways to time travel through most of the serieses, they just keep them all secret. I figure Temporal Investigations has like 50 different time machines in the basement.
They have several basements. Another contains all the super-warp drives, a third the numerous mind-swapping machines...

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

V-Men posted:

At least in Yesterday's Enterprise, War Picard had the idea from Guinan that time wasn't the way it was supposed to be and that's because a temporal rift appears with the Enterprise-C. So he gambled on loving around with time and it worked out.

You mean a spaceship of people appearing through a temporal rift is a good narrative (and in-universe) justification for a big problem to be solved using time travel???

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Somewhere on the edge of the alpha quadrant the crew of the USS Bozeman B is living a hellish existence in a war with a minor federation enemy that would not have happened if the Enterprise sent Captain Batesman back through the rift where he belonged.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

John Wick of Dogs posted:

Somewhere on the edge of the alpha quadrant the crew of the USS Bozeman B is living a hellish existence in a war with a minor federation enemy that would not have happened if the Enterprise sent Captain Batesman back through the rift where he belonged.

Captain Bateson wakes up in Seattle in the early 1990s with no memory of how he got there

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to make a joke about Lilith being Q but every gif I google is webp now and I can't upload those to imgur so ffff

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Looks like the people in charge are doing a stream of panels for first contact day https://www.startrek.com/firstcontact

They're streaming some select episodes and then the panels will start at 3 EST

3 p.m. ET - A presentation (and a special announcement) by Patrick Stewart. Wil Wheaton hosts.

3:12 p.m. ET - The cast of “Star Trek: First Contact” revisit the film and examine its impact on the “Star Trek” Universe, 25 years after its release. The event will feature Patrick Stewart, Brent Spiner, Alice Krige, and Jonathan Frakes. Wil Wheaton hosts.

3:46 p.m. ET - Creating First Contact: A focus on the essential, behind-the-scenes cast and crew who bring to life the strange new worlds of Star Trek. These panelists discuss how the collaboration between creature design, make-up, costuming, photography, VFX, and more. The panel will feature Gersha Phillips, Jason Zimmerman, Neville Page, and James Mackinnon. Mica Burton hosts.

4:14 p.m. - The “Women in Motion” panel will feature a look at the historic importance of actress Nichelle Nichols, and how this shaped not only the universe of “Star Trek” but also her impact on science and culture as a whole. This panel will include Sonequa Martin-Green, Isa Briones, Dawnn Lewis, and Michelle Hurd, with Mica Burton hosting.

4:45 p.m. ET - In “Second Contact,” a look at some of the hilarious b-story lines over the years have led to recent moments and series like “Star Trek: Lower Decks.” The panel will feature Paul F. Tompkins, Mike McMahan, Jonathan Frakes, Brent Spiner, and Wil Wheaton as host.

5:24 p.m. ET - Captain Kathryn Janeway herself appears to discuss the upcoming series “Star Trek: Prodigy.” The panel will feature Kate Mulgrew, Dan Hageman, Keven Hageman, and Mica Burton as host.

Bucswabe
May 2, 2009
I will forever be amused that Admiral Janeway went ahead and wiped out 20 years of a peaceful timeline because... Seven died and Tuvok had space dementia?

Is Janeway responsible for why the future depicted in Picard is so dark and depressing? Everything was going along nicely on the optimistic TNG timeline, and then Janeway had to give herself future Borg weapons?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Lol originally the federation got the evacuation fleet to Romulus successfully because they didn't have synth slaves because they were too busy with Borg stuff.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

jeeves posted:

It's especially funny because when the Orb of Time shows up again in the episode with Kira's mom it's implied to work completely differently

e: though i like the explanation that the Prophets just wanted to give Sisko the chance to meet his hero

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

crossposting from the Modern Trek thread:

there is an explicit character reveal but I am infinitely more interested in the implications of one of the other parts of the teaser

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Sash! posted:

Or you just set extremely rigid rules for how to do the time reset. Like... If you can't figure out what caused the problem and how to solve it within a few days, there is no do over.

Also you can only go back in time seven days.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sash! posted:

It's worth noting that the episode in which this happened, Assignment: Earth, was written specifically and purposely as a backdoor pilot to try and pitch a Gary Seven series.

That said, I do feel like the various times the Enterprise got flung into the past in the first season almost seem like they were trying to setup for possible future "we went back in time for research or whatever" episodes.

Aipsh
Feb 17, 2006

GLUPP SHITTO FAN CLUB PRESIDENT

Snow Cone Capone posted:

there is an explicit character reveal but I am infinitely more interested in the implications of one of the other parts of the teaser

Which part - the Bajoran apocalypse prophecy-disk thing?

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Aidan_702 posted:

yep!

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

V-Men posted:

Also you can only go back in time seven days.

As I recall, that was because the time machine was a janky piece of crap and they barely had any fuel for it in the first place

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
https://www.startrek.com/videos/watch-a-star-trek-discovery-first-look-season-four

Discovery S4 out this year, Picard out next year.

Looks like the worlds ending in Discovery again and only Burnham can save them.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Lower Decks already renewed for a third season.:toot:

I still can't get over the goofy cartoon TNG semi-spoof being the only new Trek show I'm actually excited about.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Trailer for Season 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSLcErfzHuc

Love that Riker has his own type of analogies involving JAZZ.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Aidan_702 posted:

It’s always an apocalypse isn’t it.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I’ve been watching a lot of Klingon DS9 episodes lately and I feel like there’s probably a goldmine of outtakes where they need a Klingon crew to sing. There’s no way all these bit actors are getting those lines right on the first try.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

bull3964 posted:

Trailer for Season 2.

The crew of the Melbourne are all suddenly thankful they ate it at Wolf-359 rather than have to endure Captain Jazz Metaphors over here.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Martytoof posted:

I’ve been watching a lot of Klingon DS9 episodes lately and I feel like there’s probably a goldmine of outtakes where they need a Klingon crew to sing. There’s no way all these bit actors are getting those lines right on the first try.

Don't need to get them right, usually they're supposed to be drunk in those scenes so as long as the tune is right everything's fine.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wonder what percentage of Paramount PLUS’ revenue is being propped up by the Trek franchise?

I can’t imagine that poo poo is doing well otherwise

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

jeeves posted:

I wonder what percentage of Paramount PLUS’ revenue is being propped up by the Trek franchise?

I can’t imagine that poo poo is doing well otherwise

Probably most of it. About the same ratio that The Mandalorian was propping up Disney+ before the MCU TV shows debuted on it, I'd wager. Though apparently Discovery's entire production budget is basically paid for by Netflix as a part of its deal with Paramount to license the show, so any revenue it draws in on any other platform is basically gravy for CBS.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

We will see what Trek brings us soon but let me call attention to an all time great: Far Beyond the Stars
What an episode...

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Snow Cone Capone posted:

gently caress yes Thanos!

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

nine-gear crow posted:

Though apparently Discovery's entire production budget is basically paid for by Netflix as a part of its deal with Paramount to license the show

This was only said by Les Moonves regarding the first season of Discovery. We have absolutely zero knowledge of how well CBS All Access / Paramount+ is doing and how much of Discovery's budget is driven by subscriber numbers.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

Bucswabe posted:

I will forever be amused that Admiral Janeway went ahead and wiped out 20 years of a peaceful timeline because... Seven died and Tuvok had space dementia?

Is Janeway responsible for why the future depicted in Picard is so dark and depressing? Everything was going along nicely on the optimistic TNG timeline, and then Janeway had to give herself future Borg weapons?

Jake apparently wiped out a timeline where the Dominion War never happened, and then his dad abandoned him anyway!

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Angry Salami posted:

Jake apparently wiped out a timeline where the Dominion War never happened, and then his dad abandoned him anyway!

Lmao yeah

Number_6
Jul 23, 2006

BAN ALL GAS GUZZLERS

(except for mine)
Pillbug

bull3964 posted:

Trailer for Season 2.

Some time ago, I caught the first episode (I think) of Lower Decks on Comedy Central, or some other basic cable network. Was that just a fluke, is the show ever going to be on regular cable? (I mean at some point in the next year or two, not running in syndicated reruns 10 years from now, if cable TV still exists in 10 years).

I'm super salty about all the "good" content being stripped from broadcast TV and basic cable to try to make me subscribe to even more bullshit, when my cable/internet/phone bill is already bigger than my loving car payment.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Lower Decks has never been on anything other than streaming.

You could just, you know, drop the cable since nothing good is on it anyways. This way is much better. I get higher quality stuff, without commercials and I can spend $10 and watch my fill and cancel the service until they have something I want to watch again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

bull3964 posted:

Lower Decks has never been on anything other than streaming.

The first episode aired on Comedy Central in late February or early March.