Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The Kryptonians are obsessed with genetics and eugenics but they clearly don't work. It didn't help their leaders make wise decisions and their best general mounts a failed coup before promptly losing a fist-fight to a born-and-bred scientist. Every single indication in Man of Steel is that the Kryptonian society was a huge failure at everything they did; their meritocracy was a scam, the eugenics didn't work, their colonization efforts failed, and then they blew up their own loving planet because they needed more fuel.

It would be fun to imagine a "what if Krypton, but it worked?" but that's basically Snyder's Justice League films.

The eugenics "worked" in the sense that they created self-perpetuating fascists with robotically dogmatic thinking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I’d like a side story what if that Clark would have gone “Well just wait, Zod, before you do your thing what if we have some really good beer and whiskey and you try some earth food and pet a cat?”

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

"This world engine can Krypton-ify any planet? Huh. You wanna park it on Venus, try it there? We can compare notes about the whole 'perfect society' thing, see how the next few centuries go." A fun Third Way solution to the conflict of Man of Steel.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Xealot posted:

"This world engine can Krypton-ify any planet? Huh. You wanna park it on Venus, try it there? We can compare notes about the whole 'perfect society' thing, see how the next few centuries go." A fun Third Way solution to the conflict of Man of Steel.

If I can't also slaughter a bunch of abominations who reproduce by natural birth, this isn't worth doing.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

I thought charred body of the Kryptonian holding the rifle implied that the colonists died fighting someone or something and that’s at least part of the reason why Krypton stopped space exploration.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Detective No. 27 posted:

Imagine if Zod had won, teraformed Earth, and then got invaded by Steppenwolf.

Steppenwolf would have never showed up without Lex calling him in BvS.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Spacebump posted:

Steppenwolf would have never showed up without Lex calling him in BvS.

This is contradicted by the opening to ZSJL. Lex is aware that this happened because he's in the ship learning about the Boxes, but it's Superman's death yell that activates them. And presumably it's the Boxes "waking up" that tells Steppenwolf et al to show up.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I really like the parallels between Krypton and Apokolips. Oh, Krypton has a rigid caste system in which people are born into proscribed roles? Apokolips is inhabited by literal mindless drones. Krypton goes out and colonizes other worlds with terraforming machines? Apokolips has a machine that instantly transforms a planet into a copy of Apokolips. Krypton exploded because they tapped their planetary core for energy? Apokolips is literally always exploding and they have giant pits belching fire and smoke into the sky.

Krypton, symbolically a vision of a possible future Earth, is also an example of a society where Anti-Life prevailed. Manages to deepen the Kirby allusion without having to be explicit about it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I'm thinking that the planet getting teraformed would awaken the boxes.

Edit: Regardless, sooner or later the New Gods would find their way there.

Detective No. 27 fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 6, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Bongo Bill posted:

I really like the parallels between Krypton and Apokolips. Oh, Krypton has a rigid caste system in which people are born into proscribed roles? Apokolips is inhabited by literal mindless drones. Krypton goes out and colonizes other worlds with terraforming machines? Apokolips has a machine that instantly transforms a planet into a copy of Apokolips. Krypton exploded because they tapped their planetary core for energy? Apokolips is literally always exploding and they have giant pits belching fire and smoke into the sky.

Krypton, symbolically a vision of a possible future Earth, is also an example of a society where Anti-Life prevailed. Manages to deepen the Kirby allusion without having to be explicit about it.

Exactly. I love how the lava eruptions on Krypton's surface during its death throes look similar to the Apokoliptian Firepits.

Also, he did it. That magnificent bastard captured Darkseid.

It's so beautiful.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Xealot posted:

This is contradicted by the opening to ZSJL. Lex is aware that this happened because he's in the ship learning about the Boxes, but it's Superman's death yell that activates them. And presumably it's the Boxes "waking up" that tells Steppenwolf et al to show up.

It’s not a contradiction. Lex gets a line to space demon, and is like hey that’s cool, come help make me earth satrap. The demon says gently caress no, there’s a Superman on your planet and lex says look I’ve got that handled, demon rolls his eyes and then the boxes text him and say no but he did though.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Wait, is that why lex wasn't bothered by doomsday? Because he was planning on Darkseids minions cleaning up his mess?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

McCloud posted:

Wait, is that why lex wasn't bothered by doomsday? Because he was planning on Darkseids minions cleaning up his mess?

I'm pretty sure he was expecting to die, if I'm being honest

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Lex intended to die to Doomsday.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Lex didn't look like he expected Doomsday to attack him. I get the feeling he didn't think too far ahead after the battle. I'm trying to remember the details but I think he stumbled upon the space phone to Steppenwolf on accident.

Edit: maybe he was expecting to die and was surprised that Superman saved him.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
They cut out a line (that's in the behind the scenes footage) that Lex believed he could control Doomsday.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

It's got his blood in it, it'd be disrespectful not to listen to Lex.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to scuttlebutt and what Zack Snyder said he intended for the characters/future movies, but I like to believe that Lex possesses the secret of the Anti-Life Equation.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Bogus Adventure posted:

I'm completely out of the loop when it comes to scuttlebutt and what Zack Snyder said he intended for the characters/future movies, but I like to believe that Lex possesses the secret of the Anti-Life Equation.

He said that he intended for The Riddler to solve the equation and immediately kill himself.

WB robbed us.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Kulkasha posted:

Now I'm wondering if Kara El was supposed to show up as the Antisuperman, once Superman is turned.

That would be tite as gently caress

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 6, 2021

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Detective No. 27 posted:

He said that he intended for The Riddler to solve the equation and immediately kill himself.

WB robbed us.

Noice

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Still disappointed none of the numerous horses we saw in the trilogy turned out to be Comet the Super-Horse

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Martman posted:

Still disappointed none of the numerous horses we saw in the trilogy turned out to be Comet the Super-Horse

They're saving Comet for the Supergirl movie

bushisms.txt
May 26, 2004

Scroll, then. There are other posts than these.

Martman posted:

Well actually, the opening CIA OP v KGbeast terror cell in BvS were on horses. And what flies over them? a drone that fires a missile bearing a suspicious resemblance to a comet. "Then came fire" like a comets tail. But of course Superman destroys it. Snyders penchant for grotesquely smashing unrelated things into what he perceives to be high art will never cease to both equally horrify and stupefy.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Look, I just want a shot of evil Superman riding a horse, ok?

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Mantis42 posted:

It's got his blood in it, it'd be disrespectful not to listen to Lex.

Lex has strong opinions on whether sons should obey their fathers.

josh04 fucked around with this message at 10:46 on Apr 6, 2021

Pirate Jet
May 2, 2010
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...-for-leadership

Can someone please change my username to UNTITLED SNOWMAN COMEDY? Thanks.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

Pirate Jet posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/f...-for-leadership

Can someone please change my username to UNTITLED SNOWMAN COMEDY? Thanks.

There's a lot of really lovely behaviour from WB in all this, not just their insinuations that really Fisher is being manipulated by Snyder into getting back at them.

Credit to Fisher for seeing through WB and their 'investigation' from the start. And there's no sadder demonstration over how boneheaded those people are than with the whole "Booyah" incident.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice
https://twitter.com/atheistjliz/status/1379445176775684103

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Christ what an absolute oval office, that is such a vindictive move

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

There's a lot of really lovely behaviour from WB in all this, not just their insinuations that really Fisher is being manipulated by Snyder into getting back at them.

Credit to Fisher for seeing through WB and their 'investigation' from the start. And there's no sadder demonstration over how boneheaded those people are than with the whole "Booyah" incident.

Booyah being considered so vital to Cyborg is just the weirdest loving thing

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

MacheteZombie posted:

Booyah being considered so vital to Cyborg is just the weirdest loving thing

I simply would not know how to react to a manager telling me, "if you don't say the phrase, well then my boss's kid might miss it, and tell my boss, and they would fire me for not getting you to say the phrase." Like, what? This is a focus on a 200 million dollar movie?

ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
Decisions being made to please the hypothetical child of a grotesquely wealthy executive show how much of a miracle it is that anything engaging or entertaining comes out of Hollywood at all

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

To be almost fair, DC's been very good at missing that 99% of the reason people even know Cyborg and the other Teen Titans besides Robin exists is from a very well recieved cartoon, though that catchphrase was not the sum total of his character in it.

Like, people were NUTS about that show who didn't even know or particularly care that it happened to be a DC universe show. (and to be fair to them, the cartoon basically had the DC embargo going for referencing characters currently in other running or planned shows, they couldn't even confirm Robin's identity)

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

ALFbrot posted:

Decisions being made to please the hypothetical child of a grotesquely wealthy executive show how much of a miracle it is that anything engaging or entertaining comes out of Hollywood at all

It's hilarious because way back in like 2014, we were having these exact arguments contra people arguing on behalf of what hypothetical kids do and don't like, and it was just as ridiculous then.

KVeezy3
Aug 18, 2005

Airport Music for Black Folk

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

They cut out a line (that's in the behind the scenes footage) that Lex believed he could control Doomsday.

I think this notion is still subtly in the film, as it's the culmination of what Lex has been scheming to do all along. By spreading the fear of Superman, he opens up the pathway for the privatization of alien technology under his corporate umbrella: Doomsday desecrates the city’s monument to Superman and then defiantly postures atop the LexCorp building in the face of an ineffectual government response.

Going back to the anecdote Lex tells at the charity event, he posits himself as Prometheus stealing from the gods to give to humanity. No one elected him, but It’s his elite status as a billionaire philanthropist that deems him worthy, and it’s that hubris that gives birth to an incomprehensibly destructive force, and turns Jor-El's dream for Earth into a nightmare.

KVeezy3 fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Apr 6, 2021

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Teen Titans was a good show and "booyah" is a very harmless nod to a cartoon young adults grew up with, that said the bizarre pressure to get Ray to say it sure is something, and Snyder-Fisher's Cyborg is a very different character.

I don't know how any of Whedon's 5 remaining fans could spin this as anything but a prick move.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Neurolimal posted:

I don't know how any of Whedon's 5 remaining fans could spin this as anything but a prick move.

I'm sure all five of his fingers would still move his prick.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Neurolimal posted:

Teen Titans was a good show and "booyah" is a very harmless nod to a cartoon young adults grew up with, that said the bizarre pressure to get Ray to say it sure is something, and Snyder-Fisher's Cyborg is a very different character.

Whedon certainly managed to drain all the possible fun out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

https://twitter.com/DCsMANJI/status/1379427754949537792?s=19